Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wayneholbrook

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2010
Miami Florida
I figured this would be the best place to ask this question. If you ask this question on any Windows Forum or a Blackberry Forum then you will get an obviously bias response. Here, I think we have the best chance at an objective response.

I am thinking about carrying a second device along with my iPhone 5. I am debating t
Between Blackberry and Windows Phone. Also on the back burner is the Note 2.

Please let me know what you think. Try and leave the sarcasm alone, I'm looking for real opinions.

Thanks,

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
You have to give us more to be able to suggest what we think is best for you. How will you be using the device? I currently own a Nexus 4 and HTC 8X and I switch back and forth between them. Android is the best OS I've used in terms of what it can do for you (between iOS, Android and WP8). I can't really talk about BB10 since I haven't seen much of it yet but I'll be glad to discuss the other 3.

The Note 2 will probably be the best phone if you don't mind it's size. Since it'll be your secondary phone I doubt it will? You'll have a lot more screen real estate for whatever you decide to use it for and you'll also have insane battery life which is really nice.

///M5

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2009
Mississauga, ON
I know I'm definitely getting the Z10. It falls between iOS and Android when it comes to customization which is the sweet spot for me.

Haven't used WP8 extensively; played with Lumia 920 for a while and knew it wasn't my cup of tea.

Maybe not a helpful reply; but I like the z10 from what I've seen and read so far.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Well I'm already sick of my HTC 8X. I have too many issues / bugs and I'm still not getting the portico update that is meant to address them and its an exercise in frustration because neither HTC or my carrier will tell me when it will rollout for me.

I'm going to sell it and pick up either a Z10 or Q10 when they are available here.

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
I'd choose Windows Phone 8 simply because of the fact that it's a more unique option compared to Blackberry 10. It was already stated above that BB10 falls right between iOS and Android.

If you've already got an iPhone, I personally think that BB10 is going to be just different enough to be frustrating to you. It will almost feel like you're carrying an iPhone 5 and an iPhone 3G (not literally, but you get the idea).

WP8 is different enough and offers enough of its own unique ures that it will feel fresh when you're using it.

Again just my opinion, but something to think about.

Edit: didnt see you were also thinking of the Note 2...I'd take that over the other 2 options any day.

Last edited:

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Probably would choose WP8, it's interface looks more intuitive (to me..) and easier to use.

BB10's UI looks complicated to use, a number of different swipe gestures to operate it..

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I think I want a Z10 now.

BB10 jumps in the game with some pretty compelling software. Hardware looks pretty good too.

It's the first near 100% gesture mobile OS. Apple should be paying attention. Really everyone should take notice and learn something. BB10 does bring something new to the table.

LJSurfa

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2013
Personally I avoid anything with Microsofts name attached to it as that normally means a half finished buggy product. Blackberry is good if you just want basic emails but really are in no comparison to HTC, Samsung or Apple (although BB10 is just being launched so watch this space). I am personally (obviously) an Apple fan with a Pad, a Pod and a Phone but I would sway towards a Samsung Android device as these offer the best all round benefits, I personally would never touch HTC again.

Akash.B

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
I think Windows Phones have the best keyboards and the best camera (Lumia 920). I find iPhone's look the best and are the most reliable while Androids have the most choice. I don't know, the Z10 looks like a pretty sweet device, but I don't want it to end up as shelfware like the Playbook did.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Personally I avoid anything with Microsofts name attached to it as that normally means a half finished buggy product. Blackberry is good if you just want basic emails but really are in no comparison to HTC, Samsung or Apple (although BB10 is just being launched so watch this space). I am personally (obviously) an Apple fan with a Pad, a Pod and a Phone but I would sway towards a Samsung Android device as these offer the best all round benefits, I personally would never touch HTC again.

Have you even tried WP8 before? :rolleyes:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I like BB's all-gesture idea. Other than that, I'm not impressed by much else. I'm curious about the keyboard, though.

Here's the BB10 vs. Android one. It makes BB10 look a lot less impressive. Also, the Note II just looks snappier and faster:

And did you all know that you could scroll the bottom list left and right to get more options in your Google Now searches? I did not know that! :eek:

Look at the bottom gray bar-list:

spjvBNp.png

BeONF3I.png

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
BB10 looks pretty nice. It looks like it would take a bit for navigating through the phone to be intuitive. As a WP8 user I hope this puts some heat on Microsoft to eliminate some of the bugs in their software and make faster progress on bringing new features to the platform.

tensiondeadache

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Southern California
I have a Lumia 920, which I love, but it is so frustrating waiting on simple things like notification center and universal search. Its nice to have another alternative out there I guess.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
No admittedly not. I just avoid Microsoft based on bad previous experience. Their bad OS and programmes previously have put me off.

For sure. You mean like everything windows past XP. I feel ya there.

I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on the new BB. While I'm not expecting any leaps over what iOS and Android already do it would be nice to see them catch up and with a good base to start with for the next few years.

LJSurfa

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2013
For sure. You mean like everything windows past XP. I feel ya there.

I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on the new BB. While I'm not expecting any leaps over what iOS and Android already do it would be nice to see them catch up and with a good base to start with for the next few years.

It will def be interesting to see that BB have done and could put a spanner in the works of the current Android/iOS dominated market. Time will tell.

LJSurfa

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2013
Post deleted by moderator

Not really. I had a pc for many years as I did an android. I CHOSE to try Apple all on my own and found their products suited my lifestyle and budget. I respect other people's decisions to choose Android or any other OS and actually all products come down to personal preference over what you want from your product.

Last edited by a moderator:

samab

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2006
Here's the BB10 vs. Android one. It makes BB10 look a lot less impressive. Also, the Note II just looks snappier and faster:

Note II has a 1.6 GHz quad-core CPU vs. Z10 has a 1.5 GHz dual-core CPU --- that's a lot more CPU raw speed in the Note II.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Between the two I vote WP8, specifically the Lumia line. If the Note 2 is also in the running then I'd say you'd have to measure out how much you value WP8's office integration and things like that. The Note is a beast, and I mean that in a good way. But despite Samsung's latest ads, I still think it's more for fun and games than it is for business. And there is nothing wrong with that, it just depends on your needs.

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Not looking good for Windows Phone 8.

YouTube: video

Well, you should look at his BB Z10 and Lumia 920 review. The takeaway from that is get the Lumia 920. I was hoping to get the 920 but too many problems for me. I don't make these decisions from reading a review or two but hanging out in forums like wpcentral or crackberry. You then read about issues of software, hardware problems etc etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.