PDA

View Full Version : Speed up boot time HDD based Air

costabunny
Feb 4, 2013, 03:10 AM
Well boot time is usually something I care nothing for in OSX (mainly as I need to reboot so rarely).

I have recently been given a rev.A MacbookAir with HDD. The battery is dead so even the slightest disconnection of the power lead causes instant shutdown.

I have taped the magsafe in situ but occasionaly it does trip (also we get the odd micro power cut where I live and I cant afford a UPS).

So my question is what (if anything) can I do to make this little Air boot quicker as currently its a case of turn on - go make coffee - hope its done when I get back :(

What can be done? any tips here would be great please

I know adding a runcore or other such zif SSD would make a difference but again I have ZERO budget until I am well enough to work again.

costabunny
Feb 4, 2013, 05:07 AM
Ive done the usual verify permissions, remove unnecessary startup items etc. still takes ages - are there system services i can be rid of?

kage207
Feb 4, 2013, 08:42 PM
Why don't you get the battery replaced? It's not that expensive on Airs. I mean, battery prices are still up there. Better than the $149 I used to pay with an IBM. :/
http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/15/macbook-air-battery-replacements-129-free-install/

costabunny
Feb 5, 2013, 03:57 AM
Why don't you get the battery replaced? It's not that expensive on Airs. I mean, battery prices are still up there. Better than the $149 I used to pay with an IBM. :/
http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/15/macbook-air-battery-replacements-129-free-install/

cant afford to right now

yes oneday I will; but as I said for now I am off work recovering from cancer surgery and am on a grand income of 71 a week. When I get better and back to work I will definitely get a battery for this little gem, and most likely find a deserving new owner for it (who like myself when in need).

for the time being its a mains only beastie - and a godsend it is indeed (just being able to sit comfortably in bed or my easy chair whilst typing, googling, editing webpages etc is amazing).

Robyr
Feb 5, 2013, 04:10 AM
cant afford to right now

yes oneday I will; but as I said for now I am off work recovering from cancer surgery and am on a grand income of 71 a week. When I get better and back to work I will definitely get a battery for this little gem, and most likely find a deserving new owner for it (who like myself when in need).

for the time being its a mains only beastie - and a godsend it is indeed (just being able to sit comfortably in bed or my easy chair whilst typing, googling, editing webpages etc is amazing).

I just want to say congratulations on the surgery, and I hope your recovery is smooth and full! Really cool of someone to give you a machine to recover with, something similar happened to me after I took a header off a bike. People can be wonderful sometimes :)

Macman45
Feb 5, 2013, 04:13 AM
cant afford to right now

I'm guessing you've tried a PRAM re-set too...The problem is that an SMC re-set might help, but you can't do it with a dead battery. I'm short on ideas here really expect to try and keep the thing on as much as possible....Without a battery, a lot of things can't be tested / run. Is it hibernating when left alone?

robvas
Feb 5, 2013, 10:20 AM
I know adding a runcore or other such zif SSD would make a difference but again I have ZERO budget until I am well enough to work again.

That's your only options. Those 1.8" HD's are super slow.

Mrbobb
Feb 5, 2013, 12:00 PM
Dumb Q: What does quick boot has anything to do with failing battery?

Answer u already know: No fund = Be Patience.

costabunny
Feb 5, 2013, 12:02 PM
Dumb Q: What does quick boot has anything to do with failing battery?

Answer u already know: No fund = Be Patience.

possibly not much (other than system talks to battery) - no the issue was because no battery, if the magsafe is knocked the machine resets and as its a 1st gen slowness it takes ages to get back up and finish whatever I was doing before the power outage :)