PDA

View Full Version : iOS 7: What To Expect (merged)

Squilly
Feb 4, 2013, 11:57 AM
I have high hopes for Apple with iOS and as a company. Especially after reading this article: http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/01/12/apple_exploring_motion_based_3d_user_interface_for_iphone
$1 ****ing billion in R&D. iOS 7 concept?

AlphaVictor87
Feb 4, 2013, 12:07 PM
Well honestly that concept sounds ridiculous.

The article is over a year old meaning people maybe thought this was in the works for iOS 6. This seems more of a concept for maybe a single app.

Could you imagine trying to navigate their phone by turning around to view the "other side" of their "dashboard"

You would have a bunch of people standing around spinning in circles and shaking their phones trying to navigate the UI.

Squilly
Feb 4, 2013, 12:13 PM
Well honestly that concept sounds ridiculous.

The article is over a year old meaning people maybe thought this was in the works for iOS 6. This seems more of a concept for maybe a single app.

Could you imagine trying to navigate their phone by turning around to view the "other side" of their "dashboard"

You would have a bunch of people standing around spinning in circles and shaking their phones trying to navigate the UI.

They bought 16 patents. They must be taking something seriously.

TheRainKing
Feb 4, 2013, 02:28 PM
I would be horrified if they ever implemented such a feature. People want efficiency and useful features, not this gimmick crap. Just like Apples 3D maps, it might look impressive but it's not that useful.

SAD*FACED*CLOWN
Feb 4, 2013, 03:15 PM

they also tried to patent a ceramic phone...but meh you see how that turned out

alec6542
Feb 4, 2013, 03:31 PM
Like someone else on here recently mentioned, Apple will likely just tweak the UI of several of the native apps such as notes and reminders, add 2 or 3 new wallpapers and call iOS 7 a "Major" update. Or, they could surprise us with something unexpected: for example they could enable the ability to actually manage your contact groups, which would make iOS 7 worthy of an "innovative" update. OR, if they (gasp) add a toggles widget to the notification center , that would be on the level of "innovative and revolutionary: something that's never been done before". Who knows, with Forstall out and Ive in, Apple just might surprise us!

lunaoso
Feb 4, 2013, 04:42 PM

That's normal for Apple. They just patent stuff to protect their inventions. Doesn't mean that they'll use them at all.

CTHarrryH
Feb 5, 2013, 08:15 AM
First of all I expect almost everyone on this board will be disappointed and complain that there is nothing really new.

I'm sure all IOS 7 design has been locked up for months now so anything in the press will be, at best, in 8

Feed Me
Feb 5, 2013, 12:00 PM
As far as iOS 6 goes, it was pretty much a non-update from iOS 5. I can't even think of one thing that actually changed between iOS 5 and 6...

oh wait, Maps.
oh and they ruined the status bar with that weird flat blue thing.
yup, that's about it.
oh
Passbook? I still don't know what that app is even for.

From iOS 4 to 5, however, we saw much larger changes:
- iCloud (iMessage, Mail, backups, reminders, notes, documents in the cloud, photo stream, etc etc etc)
- Notifications revamp

We also see similar big improvements from iOS 3 to 4:
- MULTITASKIN'
- WALLPAPERin'
- AirPlay, AirPrint
- Find my iPhone

I really hope that iOS 7 will see a return to the more feature-rich and I daresay actually *useful* iOS upgrade pattern we're used to. I think we stand a good chance of this.

Squilly
Feb 5, 2013, 01:35 PM
As far as iOS 6 goes, it was pretty much a non-update from iOS 5. I can't even think of one thing that actually changed between iOS 5 and 6...

oh wait, Maps.
yup, that's about it.
oh

- iCloud (iMessage, Mail, backups, reminders, notes, documents in the cloud, photo stream, etc etc etc)
- Notifications revamp

- MULTITASKIN'
- WALLPAPERin'
- AirPlay, AirPrint
- Find my iPhone

I really hope that iOS 7 will see a return to the more feature-rich and I daresay actually *useful* iOS upgrade pattern we're used to. I think we stand a good chance of this.

Fake multitasking*
True multitasking is on the Note II. Weird blue flat thing?

Feed Me
Feb 5, 2013, 01:50 PM
Fake multitasking*
True multitasking is on the Note II.

Uhhh... OK.

Weird blue flat thing?

Attached~

ericrwalker
Feb 5, 2013, 02:09 PM
I got an email from Tim Cook, he said they are going retro for iOS 7 moving back to the features of the original iPhone.

unobtainium
Feb 6, 2013, 03:43 AM
Fake multitasking*

"True multitasking" eh? :rolleyes: Who cares? How about "functional multitasking"...that's what matters after all. This is a mobile device with battery life requirements, and I've never once wished that I had "true" multitasking on my iPhone. Apple has taken the disadvantages out of it while retaining most of the advantages.

MarcBook
Feb 7, 2013, 05:48 PM
"True multitasking" eh? :rolleyes: Who cares? How about "functional multitasking"...that's what matters after all. This is a mobile device with battery life requirements, and I've never once wished that I had "true" multitasking on my iPhone. Apple has taken the disadvantages out of it while retaining most of the advantages.

This times a million. I've never understood the argument for 'true' multi-tasking on a phone. As you said, battery life is a key requirement and Apple took a very calculated approach to their implementation of multi-tasking: all the benefits (e.g. apps resume from where you left off as far back in time as the RAM will allow, background audio and task completion etc.) with none of the detriments (e.g. horrifically reduced battery life, apps competing for memory due to no limits).

In the end, my iPhone is a phone... a mobile device, my primary communicator, casual gaming device and so on. For the heavy stuff that requires true multi-tasking, I use my big, powerful device (my Mac).

MattInOz
Feb 7, 2013, 09:31 PM
Fake multitasking*

What function do you get with "true mutli-tasking"?

I've asked this question many times and never gotten an answer to what tasks people can practically do together that aren't already covered by "fake multi-tasking".

I have gotten a few "You know you get true multi-tasking" so it must be better.

I can think of few additional functions I'd like but none of them need free for multi-tasking. Most I think would be better for the user if the developers are made to think about what's important instead of giving them the easy out of the old stop-gap solution.

Premium1
Feb 7, 2013, 09:37 PM
That's normal for Apple. They just patent stuff to protect their inventions. Doesn't mean that they'll use them at all.

They bought patents meaning they didn't invent any of the things covered by these patents, or they would have already had the patents and not be buying these.

lunaoso
Feb 7, 2013, 11:38 PM
They bought patents meaning they didn't invent any of the things covered by these or they would have patents and not be buying these.

I have absolutely no idea what you just said. :p

Random 995K
Feb 8, 2013, 12:15 AM
Fake multitasking*

And it's much worse, I think you mean inefficient multitasking is on the note 2.

JaySoul
Feb 8, 2013, 11:36 AM
I think by "multitasking" perhaps the poster meant something like:

- Being able to tweet WHILST watching a film
- Having 2 windows open at the same time

Squilly
Feb 8, 2013, 11:40 AM
I think by "multitasking" perhaps the poster meant something like:

- Being able to tweet WHILST watching a film
- Having 2 windows open at the same time

Yes, that.

r2shyyou
Feb 8, 2013, 11:44 AM
Yes, that.

Wow, you actually meant "WHILST?"

Guess you nailed it, JaySoul.

nuckinfutz
Feb 8, 2013, 12:16 PM
Humans don't multitask well

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=95256794

It's a myth. If you have two distinct apps on the screen you can really only focus your attention and your eyes on one at a time.

Android has too many fluff features that are about selling sizzle and not delivering the steak.

Computers, being designed by humans, largely function the same. They time slice and dispatch or queue tasks.

hedleylammarr
Feb 8, 2013, 01:01 PM
I want...

A calculator in notes

Opening side by side windows in landscape mode

Ability to remove default apple apps (such as shares)

Intelligent auto brightness

More preferences to personalise OS (notes, contacts, app spacing)

Go back to google maps

apollo1444
Feb 8, 2013, 02:58 PM
Ive is the real Steve Jobs successor! I have high hopes that this guy and Craig Federighi are going to repair the iOS 6 disaster, I can really see iOS 7 having all the goodies jailbreak gives you with the exception of themes but I can live with that

Frankied22
Feb 8, 2013, 06:59 PM
I think Apples multitasking works fine. But it should be easier. Now that I use a nexus 4 I realize how much faster it is to switch apps. I just hit a software button and a list of my recent apps opens with pictures of what state they're in. It sure beats double pressing a hardware button.

Sankersizzle
Feb 8, 2013, 08:25 PM
Disappointment.

irDigital0l
Feb 8, 2013, 11:59 PM
Disappointment.

Sad but true.

Demonface
Feb 9, 2013, 10:49 AM
If Apple sees that there is alot of request for something they might act on it . Well I think thats what Steve Jobs would have done but I don't know about Steve Jobs.

moonman239
Feb 9, 2013, 10:58 AM
Safari has a popup blocker. But guess what? It won't block ads that come up as a result of clicking a link. This means that if a Web developer decides to program the browser to open a popup ad when you click a link, the ad will open in a new window. I find this behavior annoying, since you then have to close the popup and reopen the original window.

ThisIsNotMe
Feb 9, 2013, 11:49 AM
Would be a giant middle finger to Google. That is for sure.

macUser2007
Feb 9, 2013, 12:28 PM
I suppose it's annoying, but the reality is that without ads, there will be a lot less decent "free" content on the web. Someone, somewhere, has to pay the costs related to the the content you want to see.

Now, we can certainly debate the wisdom of an advertiser annoying their potential customers. It's a fine line.

The bottom line is, if there was an ad-blocker built into iOS, pretty soon people will start blocking iOS access to their content, or demand payment from users (just like Apple get's their 30% cut from everything that get's sold on your iOS device).

:rolleyes:

guitarmandp
Feb 9, 2013, 12:29 PM
It doesn't make sense to think they've never thought of this. There might be some political ramifications behind this which might be why they haven't done it yet.

The internet is "free" largely because of advertising. When you read an article in say USA Today, the reason it's free is because of the ads. If Safari were to remove ads it might be a major blow to the web since more and more web traffic is being moved through mobile.

You can download 3rd party browsers which block ads from the iTunes store, which block ads. If Apple were to go in this direction and I'm not convinced they would I think they would have a setting in your settings where you can block ads and the default would be to show ads.

Claefer
Feb 9, 2013, 12:53 PM
I'm unsure why desktop-like multitasking is needed on a device in which every app is full screen. It's unlikely iOS devices will have windows any time soon, if ever. If anything, what iOS needs is a better multitasking UI.

macUser2007
Feb 9, 2013, 01:18 PM
I'm unsure why desktop-like multitasking is needed on a device in which every app is full screen. It's unlikely iOS devices will have windows any time soon, if ever. If anything, what iOS needs is a better multitasking UI.

Uhm, I never thought I had much use for multitasking, until I just realized I can't do things on my iPhone 5 that I took for granted on my old Galaxy Nexus.

Like having the flashlight on, while using a soprts-tracker app and listening to music or a podcast (something I do almost every night).

BTW, while I haven't bothered to measure, there is NO noticeable difference in daily use between the battery life of my iPhone 5 and my Galaxy Nexus (which actually has a larger screen, which is generally the greatest cause of battery drain).The silly justifications of why there is no multi-tasking in iOS are just that, silly (and generally perpetuated by people who have experience with nothing else).

The reason why Apple left out multi-tasking is the same reason Apple does not have true resolution-scaling in iOS (or in Mac OS, for that matter - I have people complaining of the tight pixel configuration on the 27" iMac, without the ability to simply tweak the resolution a bit, as one could in Windows): It's cost savings.

Apple has absolute control over the hardware and it is simply cheaper not to spend resources building such features into the OS. And we generally have to live with it.

But as I said, defending stuff like the lack of true multi-tasking or true resolution-scaling, as if there is some higher purpose to it, is just silly.

Claefer
Feb 9, 2013, 04:27 PM
Uhm, I never thought I had much use for multitasking, until I just realized I can't do things on my iPhone 5 that I took for granted on my old Galaxy Nexus.

Like having the flashlight on, while using a soprts-tracker app and listening to music or a podcast (something I do almost every night).

BTW, while I haven't bothered to measure, there is NO noticeable difference in daily use between the battery life of my iPhone 5 and my Galaxy Nexus (which actually has a larger screen, which is generally the greatest cause of battery drain).The silly justifications of why there is no multi-tasking in iOS are just that, silly (and generally perpetuated by people who have experience with nothing else).

The reason why Apple left out multi-tasking is the same reason Apple does not have true resolution-scaling in iOS (or in Mac OS, for that matter - I have people complaining of the tight pixel configuration on the 27" iMac, without the ability to simply tweak the resolution a bit, as one could in Windows): It's cost savings.

Apple has absolute control over the hardware and it is simply cheaper not to spend resources building such features into the OS. And we generally have to live with it.

But as I said, defending stuff like the lack of true multi-tasking or true resolution-scaling, as if there is some higher purpose to it, is just silly.

Uhm, you're counterarguing a point I never made. Read closer.

irDigital0l
Feb 9, 2013, 06:12 PM

No one wants desktop multitasking....the iPhone 5's 4'' display is going to suck doing that. You need at least 5.5'' and even then its still pretty bad (2 2.5'' apps on the Note 2 is not fun).

iOS needs some new multitouch gestures you so dont have to double tap the home button every single time. It needs to allow you to delete all your tray at once.

Claefer
Feb 9, 2013, 06:40 PM
No one wants desktop multitasking....the iPhone 5's 4'' display is going to suck doing that. You need at least 5.5'' and even then its still pretty bad (2 2.5'' apps on the Note 2 is not fun).

iOS needs some new multitouch gestures you so dont have to double tap the home button every single time. It needs to allow you to delete all your tray at once.

I don't think Apple would implement multi-touch gestures to access the multitasking bar because the user interface for the iPhone emphasizes one-handed operation according to their HIG.

QCassidy352
Feb 9, 2013, 06:46 PM

So you think a company with $130b in cash is not adding features like "true multitasking" because of the expense to develop it? Really, that's your theory?

the fact that battery life is similar between Nexus and iphone 5 doesn't prove that apple's way doesn't save battery life. That would only be true if the different kinds of multitasking were the only variable.

TomoK12
Feb 9, 2013, 08:44 PM
What we need is the ability to remove Apple apps, except the important ones, and they'll ALL be available to re-download on the App Store whenever. Also, why is Apple charging money for iPhoto? Shouldn't things like this be already built into iOS?

To add to this, you should be able to change default apps. Like, I should be able to delete Safari, or at least hide it, and use Chrome as my only browser which all links, etc. use.

I would also hope for more notification centre widgets from Apple, especially one that allows you to enable/disable key iOS functions. I also hope we get a UI overhaul. BUT if we do, we should always be able to revert to the old. Apple should stop removing features and replacing them with new ones when they update iOS. Instead you should be given options in settings.

Squilly
Feb 9, 2013, 09:34 PM
What we need is the ability to remove Apple apps, except the important ones, and they'll ALL be available to re-download on the App Store whenever. Also, why is Apple charging money for iPhoto? Shouldn't things like this be already built into iOS?

To add to this, you should be able to change default apps. Like, I should be able to delete Safari, or at least hide it, and use Chrome as my only browser which all links, etc. use.

I would also hope for more notification centre widgets from Apple, especially one that allows you to enable/disable key iOS functions. I also hope we get a UI overhaul. BUT if we do, we should always be able to revert to the old. Apple should stop removing features and replacing them with new ones when they update iOS. Instead you should be given options in settings.

Solution for time being: create a junk folder and make it your last app so you never see it. :)

klamse25
Feb 9, 2013, 09:57 PM
What I expect from the next iOS:

One, maybe two features that I really care about
No significant UI update
A longer iOS to jailbreak

I'm staying on 6.1 until 7.0 is jailbreakable. Unless I see something I really can't go without (or add via Cydia).

klamse25
Feb 9, 2013, 10:07 PM
That would be suicide. Ads are essential for generating income.

canadianpj
Feb 9, 2013, 11:07 PM
Safari has a popup blocker. But guess what? It won't block ads that come up as a result of clicking a link. This means that if a Web developer decides to program the browser to open a popup ad when you click a link, the ad will open in a new window. I find this behavior annoying, since you then have to close the popup and reopen the original window.

Wont happen and sites should block access to those who use ad blockers. I'm not sure if that's possible but if you want to read the content for free you get the ads.

Speedyparker87
Feb 10, 2013, 09:51 AM

Like having the flashlight on, while using a sports-tracker app and listening to music or a podcast (something I do almost every night).

You can do at least 2 of 3 at the same time. Feature request to sports app to add in the flashlight or wear one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Finder-Headlight-Batteries-Included/dp/B002MFK7H2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1360510691&sr=8-2&keywords=Running+light

Rogifan
Feb 10, 2013, 09:56 AM
I'm curious to know who's responsible for what between Federighi and Ive. Basically, who are we resting our hopes on?

Silvereel
Feb 10, 2013, 10:05 AM
I'm curious to know who's responsible for what between Federighi and Ive. Basically, who are we resting our hopes on?

Federighi = core technology, the actual operating system and all the nitty gritty

Ive = design and pretties

Squilly
Feb 10, 2013, 10:46 AM
Isn't Ive the chief creative officer of Apple iOS products?

TomoK12
Feb 10, 2013, 10:56 AM
Solution for time being: create a junk folder and make it your last app so you never see it. :)
Well yeah, but it'd be nice for it to have a little more organisation. I'm pretty sure there's no solution for the stale and boring UI though. Lol.

Squilly
Feb 10, 2013, 11:21 AM
Well yeah, but it'd be nice for it to have a little more organisation. I'm pretty sure there's no solution for the stale and boring UI though. Lol.

Jailbreak?

Claefer
Feb 10, 2013, 01:19 PM
Isn't Ive the chief creative officer of Apple iOS products?

Ive is in charge of industrial design. He now has a role in human interface but I think Greg Christie is still the VP of human interface unless he was shown the door along with Forstall.

irDigital0l
Feb 10, 2013, 01:38 PM
Ive is in charge of industrial design. He now has a role in human interface but I think Greg Christie is still the VP of human interface unless he was shown the door along with Forstall.

Ive is VP of Industrial Design and now also Human Interfaces while Federighi is now VP of software (both Mac OS X which he did previously but now also has iOS after Forstall's departure)

Basically they both took part of Forstall's role.

Pretty sure Federighi will be the one demoing everything in events don't see Ive doing it.

Claefer
Feb 10, 2013, 05:08 PM
Ive is VP of Industrial Design and now also Human Interfaces while Federighi is now VP of software (both Mac OS X which he did previously but now also has iOS after Forstall's departure)

Basically they both took part of Forstall's role.

Pretty sure Federighi will be the one demoing everything in events don't see Ive doing it.

Wall Street Journal reported that Greg Christie is still the vice president of Human Interface Design and that he now reports to Hair Force One. I doubt they'd let Christie go since he's been around as far back as the Newton days.

I suspect Ive's role is to coauthor the new human interface guidelines and offer his design sense to the various human interface groups.

Rogifan
Feb 10, 2013, 06:16 PM
So if Greg Christie reports to Federighi I wonder then if he has some sort of dotted line reporting to Ive? I'm wondering how much influence Ive will actually have. I do see that Christie and Ive are listed on a patent together so they must have worked with each other in the past. Anyone familiar with the other guys listed on this patent and if they're still with Apple?

Mode-based graphical user interfaces for touch sensitive input devices (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1=%22Ive%3B+Jonathan%22&s2=Christie&OS=)
Abstract
A user interface method is disclosed. The method includes detecting a touch and then determining a user interface mode when a touch is detected. The method further includes activating one or more GUI elements based on the user interface mode and in response to the detected touch.

Inventors: Hotelling; Steve (San Jose, CA), Huppi; Brian Q. (San Francisco, CA), Strickon; Joshua A. (San Jose, CA), Kerr; Duncan Robert (San Francisco, CA), Ording; Bas (San Francsico, CA), Chaudhri; Imran (San Francisco, CA), Christie; Greg (San Jose, CA), Ive; Jonathan P. (San Francisco, CA)
Assignee: Apple Inc. (Cupertino, CA)
Appl. No.: 11/038,590
Filed: January 18, 2005

DerekRod
Feb 10, 2013, 06:28 PM
I think now that the 3GS is dead and the 4 is about to get pushed out that we may see a GUI shakeup.

Claefer
Feb 10, 2013, 07:23 PM
So if Greg Christie reports to Federighi I wonder then if he has some sort of dotted line reporting to Ive? I'm wondering how much influence Ive will actually have. I do see that Christie and Ive are listed on a patent together so they must have worked with each other in the past. Anyone familiar with the other guys listed on this patent and if they're still with Apple?

Mode-based graphical user interfaces for touch sensitive input devices (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1=%22Ive%3B+Jonathan%22&s2=Christie&OS=)
Abstract
A user interface method is disclosed. The method includes detecting a touch and then determining a user interface mode when a touch is detected. The method further includes activating one or more GUI elements based on the user interface mode and in response to the detected touch.

Inventors: Hotelling; Steve (San Jose, CA), Huppi; Brian Q. (San Francisco, CA), Strickon; Joshua A. (San Jose, CA), Kerr; Duncan Robert (San Francisco, CA), Ording; Bas (San Francsico, CA), Chaudhri; Imran (San Francisco, CA), Christie; Greg (San Jose, CA), Ive; Jonathan P. (San Francisco, CA)
Assignee: Apple Inc. (Cupertino, CA)
Appl. No.: 11/038,590
Filed: January 18, 2005

From what I read Christie and his team are responsible for iOS's visual design, from colors to textures, and that he and Forstall would review all UI designs with Steve Jobs. I'm guessing—and hoping—that Jony Ive is now filling Steve's shoes in this respect so Christie and Federighi will be reporting to him from now on.

I'm pretty sure Bas Ording is still with Apple. He's the one who came up Dock magnification as well as inertia scrolling.

Rogifan
Feb 10, 2013, 07:50 PM
From what I read, Christie and Forstall would hold UI design reviews with Steve Jobs and that Christie's group is in charge of iOS's visual design. Jony Ive said in an interview that he isn't really connected to UI design all that much. But he is now, so I assume he'll review UI designs with Christie and Federighi.

I'm pretty sure Bas Ording is still with Apple. He's the one who came up Dock magnification as well as inertia scrolling.

Did a bit more patent searching and it looks like Ive worked with Bas Ording (among others) on the proximity sensor in the iPhone.

Also I've heard that Ive was involved in the first iPhone UI. And the Samsung trial did uncover this email from Jobs to Ive and Bas Ording re: iPhone interface. I believe this was in response to a B&O/Samsung phone that was released at the time.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1275946/Screen_Shot_2012-08-03_at_10.27.25_PM-1-1.jpg

So maybe Ive does have some UI experience? At least I hope Cook didn't put him in charge of HI just to make things look pretty. The issues with iOS go beyond skeuomorphism.

Squilly
Feb 10, 2013, 08:02 PM
Did a bit more patent searching and it looks like Ive worked with Bas Ording (among others) on the proximity sensor in the iPhone.

Also I've heard that Ive was involved in the first iPhone UI. And the Samsung trial did uncover this email from Jobs to Ive and Bas Ording re: iPhone interface. I believe this was in response to a B&O/Samsung phone that was released at the time.

Image (http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1275946/Screen_Shot_2012-08-03_at_10.27.25_PM-1-1.jpg)

So maybe Ive does have some UI experience? At least I hope Cook didn't put him in charge of HI just to make things look pretty. The issues with iOS go beyond skeuomorphism.
Laughed my ass off at that email. That's not innovation. It's changing someone's idea and making it better. Apple is very good at making it seem like they were the first to invent it though.

Claefer
Feb 10, 2013, 08:29 PM
Laughed my ass off at that email. That's not innovation. It's changing someone's idea and making it better. Apple is very good at making it seem like they were the first to invent it though.

Well, actually, that is the definition of innovation.

Squilly
Feb 10, 2013, 10:04 PM
Well, actually, that is the definition of innovation.

Then my bad, inventing*, not innovating.

Claefer
Feb 11, 2013, 12:20 AM
Then my bad, inventing*, not innovating.

Haha, sorry. I copyedit twelve hours a day. It's a habit.

Claefer
Feb 11, 2013, 12:43 AM

Image (http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1275946/Screen_Shot_2012-08-03_at_10.27.25_PM-1-1.jpg)

I'm certain Ive has some UI experience as he's listed as one of the creators of iBooks UI, which is of course skeuomorphic.

Personally, I'm not expecting big changes to the UI. As you pointed out iOS has far bigger problems than Corinthian leather and wooden bookshelves.

skillwill
Feb 11, 2013, 03:32 AM

oh wait, Maps.
yup, that's about it.
oh

- Notifications revamp

- MULTITASKIN'
- WALLPAPERin'
- AirPlay, AirPrint
- Find my iPhone

I agree. Ios 6 could easily have just been ios 5.2

Smartass
Feb 11, 2013, 07:09 AM
all Apple needs to do is implement features that you get with jailbreaking and thats about it. Oh and fix the damn app store layout.

Rogifan
Feb 11, 2013, 08:12 AM
I'm certain Ive has some UI experience as he's listed as one of the creators of iBooks UI, which is of course skeuomorphic.

Personally, I'm not expecting big changes to the UI. As you pointed out iOS has far bigger problems than Corinthian leather and wooden bookshelves.
Wow, I didn't know he was involved with iBooks. Where did you hear that? If he was I hope it was under protest (since we know Jobs was a fan of this crap) and not something he really likes. :eek:

----------

Does the average consumer really care who invented what? Fact is Apple was first to sell a capacitive multi-touch phone that even Eric Schmidt admitted created the modern smartphone industry. When someone buys an iPhone I don't think they give a rip who invented the technology in the phone.

Claefer
Feb 11, 2013, 09:36 AM
Wow, I didn't know he was involved with iBooks. Where did you hear that? If he was I hope it was under protest (since we know Jobs was a fan of this crap) and not something he really likes. :eek:

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2011/01/apple-files-45-ipad-ui-design-patents-in-europe.html

Not sure what Ive's role was but he's listed. Mike Matas worked on a couple of iOS interfaces. It's unfortunate that he left the company, though. http://www.mikematas.com

And skeuomorphism isn't inherently bad. iBook has a great interface. But an application like Contacts annoys me—at least it does in portrait mode.

Silvereel
Feb 11, 2013, 10:03 AM

iBooks is actually one of the functional skeumorphic designs. It serves a purpose and makes it more functional, rather than less. iBooks is beautiful. Game Center, on the other hand, needs a new look.

Rogifan
Feb 11, 2013, 05:00 PM
http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2011/01/apple-files-45-ipad-ui-design-patents-in-europe.html

Not sure what Ive's role was but he's listed. Mike Matas worked on a couple of iOS interfaces. It's unfortunate that he left the company, though. http://www.mikematas.com

And skeuomorphism isn't inherently bad. iBook has a great interface. But an application like Contacts annoys me—at least it does in portrait mode.
Faux anything is not my favorite. But yeah iBooks is not as bad as Game Center, Find my Friends, iPhoto app, etc.

nuckinfutz
Feb 11, 2013, 05:11 PM
I agree. Ios 6 could easily have just been ios 5.2

If you're a consumer. If you're a developer you realize that there's a significant amount of detail stuff that was ushered in to warrant having a nice 6.x target.

DaffyDuck
Feb 11, 2013, 07:58 PM
Federighi = core technology, the actual operating system and all the nitty gritty

Ive = design and pretties

So we've got the foundation and roof. Now all we need are walls and rooms.

Azadre
Feb 12, 2013, 07:29 PM
I am going to bet at WWDC they'll announce Office for iOS.

Squilly
Feb 12, 2013, 07:48 PM
I am going to bet at WWDC they'll announce Office for iOS.

I would love that.

moonman239
Feb 14, 2013, 05:36 PM
Okay guys, let me clarify. I'm fine with ads on my phone that DON'T cause my phone to open a new window. On a semi-related note, I'd like ALL ads to be unobtrusive. The can get in my face, as long as there are not too many such ads and I can make them disappear with an easily accessible "Close" button.

Bahroo
Feb 14, 2013, 06:57 PM
I use this Weblocker app that works extremely well, granted its 2 dollars but it takes out ads in just about every single app, and it takes out ads in Safari as well.

If you want to look up the app you dont type Weblocker, you type Adblocker then you scroll to the right a few apps in the App Store them you will see it...i highly recommend the app

CrAkD
Feb 15, 2013, 06:51 AM
1. iMessage/FaceTime blocking. If your going to run these services apple you have to offer a blocking option. Now I can block people on AT&Ts side but unless I turn off iMessage all together they still get through. Same with FaceTime.

2. Text forwarding. iMessage syncing across all devices is great but not everyone has an iPhone they should build it into the phone to send texts to your iPad and computer just to keep everything in sync. Like a pseudo iMessage between devices but replies typed on an iPad would have to be sent through the phone wirelessly obviously.

sviato
Feb 15, 2013, 12:27 PM
I was ready to respond to some crappy proposals but I agree with both of those.

My younger sister has an iPod and uses it to iMessage her friends but randomly started getting iMessages from an unknown email last week. I checked the messages and told her never to reply to or acknowledge them but was surprised how much a blocking feature could solve this altogether.

And I agree with the texting too. Sometimes I'm talking to people on iMessage on my Macbook and get a text from a non-iPhone user. It'd be much more convenient to reply on the Mac rather than have different convos going on 2 devices. Not sure how technologically possible this is.

In addition to that, iMessage should refresh and pull in messages from the phone onto the Macbook. Often it just doesn't seem to sync and I'm continuing from the part of the convo I left off of on the Mac rather than the one I continued on my iPhone.

jmann
Feb 15, 2013, 12:30 PM
I agree with your ideas. I'd like to see the *unnecessary* feature of FaceTime voice messages.

Shadyriley
Feb 15, 2013, 01:36 PM
I was ready to respond to some crappy proposals but I agree with both of those.

My younger sister has an iPod and uses it to iMessage her friends but randomly started getting iMessages from an unknown email last week. I checked the messages and told her never to reply to or acknowledge them but was surprised how much a blocking feature could solve this altogether.

And I agree with the texting too. Sometimes I'm talking to people on iMessage on my Macbook and get a text from a non-iPhone user. It'd be much more convenient to reply on the Mac rather than have different convos going on 2 devices. Not sure how technologically possible this is.

In addition to that, iMessage should refresh and pull in messages from the phone onto the Macbook. Often it just doesn't seem to sync and I'm continuing from the part of the convo I left off of on the Mac rather than the one I continued on my iPhone.

Use Google Voice

cyks
Feb 15, 2013, 01:40 PM
Use Google Voice

While that's a decent workaround and offers features similar to those requested, it also forces the user back into the limitations that texts have - namely character length and file sizes... and it doesn't allow to send images.

sviato
Feb 15, 2013, 02:43 PM
Use Google Voice

Getting kids to switch to another alternative isn't that easy

moonman239
Feb 15, 2013, 07:07 PM
I'd kind of like to see the ability to block and report calls and texts without buying AT&T's parental controls plan.

Something that works like this:

Someone I don't want to hear from calls me. If I know they would use that number, I'd set my phone to say "I'm sorry, the number you have dialed is not registered. Please check the number and dial again," or that recorded message below
Now, let's say they call me using a number that doesn't belong to them, but it's not in my "allowed" list. The phone will say, "I will only connect your call if you give me permission to record your conversation. If you consent, press 1 now...(if 5 seconds pass and the caller has not given consent) You have not given consent, so goodbye." This would allow me to legally record conversations, pretty much regardless of how the governing government defines consent from the calling party to record the call.

charlituna
Feb 15, 2013, 09:49 PM
I have high hopes for Apple with iOS and as a company. Especially after reading this article: http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/01/12/apple_exploring_motion_based_3d_user_interface_for_iphone
$1 ****ing billion in R&D. iOS 7 concept?

Don't get your hopes up. Apple researches and patents a lot of stuff that they never use but license out to other folks to recover the R&D money

----------

I got an email from Tim Cook, he said they are going retro for iOS 7 moving back to the features of the original iPhone.

Well I got one from Sir Jony and he said they are going to model it after System 8

Cod3rror
Feb 16, 2013, 02:11 AM
I guess expecting app trials would be too much?

Squilly
Feb 16, 2013, 09:36 AM
I guess expecting app trials would be too much?

They already allow that for Devs, I think.

cambookpro
Feb 16, 2013, 05:16 PM
They already allow that for Devs, I think.

He means being able to trial an app for, say, 15 mins before committing to a purchase I think.

Cod3rror
Feb 16, 2013, 06:31 PM
He means being able to trial an app for, say, 15 mins before committing to a purchase I think.

Yes.

However 15 minutes is nothing, IMO, you need at least a week to really tell if you need an app and test how useful it is.

Squilly
Feb 17, 2013, 08:13 AM

Yes.

However 15 minutes is nothing, IMO, you need at least a week to really tell if you need an app and test how useful it is.

Yeah, Google does something like that on their Play Store.

quietstormSD
Feb 17, 2013, 04:00 PM
They need to add more widgets to the notification center. Such as turning on and off bluetooth, wifi, 3g etc.

Slix
Feb 17, 2013, 04:21 PM
I'd like to see more customizable Do Not Disturb settings, like allowing you to make more than one scheduled time per week, per day, and maybe even per month.

I'd also like to see Up Next added to the Music app, that'd be useful.

Random 995K
Feb 18, 2013, 04:21 AM
I'd like to see more customizable Do Not Disturb settings, like allowing you to make more than one scheduled time per week, per day, and maybe even per month.

I'd also like to see Up Next added to the Music app, that'd be useful.

Up next would be very good.

tigertazz
Feb 18, 2013, 07:30 AM
Up next would be very good.

This and iTunes DJ. If I'm listening to a track and i know what i want next, i should be able to schedule it rather than switch to it immdiately.

OSxiPro
Feb 18, 2013, 09:37 AM
Things I would like, but won't get:

Automatic app updates.
Move spotlight to Notification center.
1/4 and 1/2 size apps for ipad for multitasking opportunities.
Option to hide or remove some stock apps. ie; newsstand.
Folders that can fit more than 12 apps.
Live icons. ie; weather.
3rd party notification center widgets.
Some offline siri data so it doesnt always use the internet.
Huge, mainstream icloud integration.
Safari ad blocker
Explain "other" space better
Wish list in iTunes/app store

Squilly
Feb 18, 2013, 02:17 PM

Automatic app updates.
Live icons. ie; weather.
Safari ad blocker
I could see a lot of that happening.

Cod3rror
Feb 19, 2013, 02:40 PM

Automatic app updates.
Live icons. ie; weather.
Safari ad blocker

+

Set Default apps

Data usage monitor

Wi-Fi Direct support/Airdrop

Multitasking gestures - Zephyr

Camera app needs Timer, time/date/location imprinting, stabilization shot, 720p @ 60FPS recording option, White balance, Exposure, Light sensitivity(ISO), Contrast, Sharpness, all of these should be added.

Maps - Drop more than one pin on the map, routing between them

Delete photos from Photo Library, being able to view file information in photos (say date of taking etc)

iMessage - Needs an ability to share location(Map) like with WhatsApp, right from the iMessage. Current you can only send photos from iMessage, but Maps and Contacts shortcuts should be added too. Also it would be great if the image EXIF data was preserved when sent so the receiver could "open" that image in Maps and navigate... quickly snap a picture of a location, send it, the receiver gets the image, taps "Open in Maps" and finds the route to you.

Prevent shut down when the phone is locked

Delivery notification for normal SMS messages

Snooze time configuration option for alarm, (amount of snoozes, time in between)

Calendar event badges on calendar(with an ability to adjust how far in advance you can see your events, 24hours, 7 days, 14 days, etc..)

Birthday's in Calendar - show how old is person is turning into

Pictures in the Notes.app

Safari - Unified Omnibar, Private switch IN Safari not in the options, Tap and hold the tabs button to show history

Smart Playlist creation on the iPhone

Slix
Feb 22, 2013, 09:04 AM
I also want to be able to search photo albums and events in the Photos app, as well as from Spotlight. Why can I not do that already? :rolleyes:

WhackyNinja
Feb 24, 2013, 01:48 AM
This is gonna be my LITERAL reaction if iOS 7 isnt as good as we want it to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eKc7f0k_g9w

irDigital0l
Feb 24, 2013, 03:07 AM
I also want to be able to search photo albums and events in the Photos app, as well as from Spotlight. Why can I not do that already? :rolleyes:

Why can't I share videos with others?

Apple's logic is so funny.

Pictures + Videos = Photos app

Shared Photo Stream = only pictures

Either move videos that you take into the Video app or add Shared Video Streams.

Its probably going to be one of the top 10 features for iOS 7. :rolleyes:

TheLondoner
Feb 24, 2013, 11:35 AM
I would be horrified if they ever implemented such a feature. People want efficiency and useful features, not this gimmick crap. Just like Apples 3D maps, it might look impressive but it's not that useful.

god, apple maps, lol. first thing i did when i got my iphone on ios 6.1.1 was to download google maps! :)

kevingaffney
Feb 24, 2013, 03:20 PM
True multitasking for me is the biggie. I use the Skygo app a lot for watching live sport events. Switch to anything else then back again, and have to start up tv channel all over again. With the far superior processors in iPads and iPhones today, Apple should have a superior multi tasking solution. To be honest, like many have said, Im finding ios a little jaded

Davidkoh
Feb 25, 2013, 12:59 AM
I'd like to get actual multitasking with at least 2 apps on screen at the same time via some sort of split screen (at least for iPad), don't think this will come yet though. Also I think it should be possible to remove the download over 3G/LTE cap.

dazed
Feb 25, 2013, 01:58 AM
iOS 7 will be a crucial update. IOS 5 & 6 were underwhelming and the whole ios experience is now getting kinda stale.

I don't have high hopes of anything groundbreaking but would love icons which update (such as weather).

BvizioN
Feb 25, 2013, 07:16 AM
I don't have high hopes of anything groundbreaking but would love icons which update (such as weather).

Ok, i admit that live icons would (arguably) make the iOS look nice. But what is the usefulness here? Would you rely on a tiny icon to tell you what the weather is like or what time it is? If that would result on more battery drainage, I can't imagine why anyone would want it.

TheRainKing
Feb 25, 2013, 08:37 PM
god, apple maps, lol. first thing i did when i got my iphone on ios 6.1.1 was to download google maps! :)

First thing I did when I updated to iOS 6 and saw Apple maps was attempt to downgrade back to iOS 5, only to find out that I needed SHSH blobs that I didn't have. Then I was like..

iBreatheApple
Feb 25, 2013, 09:17 PM
Sure, the OS functions fine for my needs. But I feel desperate for a UI update. I'm quite bored with what we currently have.

SONiC5
Feb 25, 2013, 10:03 PM
A way to clear app cache would be nice, or at least a way to force "clean" them all. There's no need for most apps to balloon in size after being used, space is already tight on my 13.5 GB 4S with about 10GB of music + photos/videos. Like...why do I need Instagram and twitter taking up 120 MB each? I don't even have any space to take pictures.

I shouldn't have to constantly delete and reinstall apps to free up space, and every time I do, my phone is back to being packed to the gills within a matter of days.

fullauto
Feb 26, 2013, 02:21 AM
Ok, i admit that live icons would (arguably) make the iOS look nice. But what is the usefulness here? Would you rely on a tiny icon to tell you what the weather is like or what time it is? If that would result on more battery drainage, I can't imagine why anyone would want it.

By enabling live icons, wouldn't that basically turn the icon into a sort of animation? I'm not sure if a whole screen of app icons blinking / flashing (you know at least 20% of apps will go strobe!) would add in a positive way, the visual overload may even deter a user from wanting to use / pickup the device.

Then it would be a case of only allowing 'some' apps to have live updating icons, icon approval processes, it could end up being a total mess..

8 iPad homescreens fading / blinking / swirling.. too much IMO.

d3v1l.cr0
Feb 26, 2013, 03:24 AM
Sure, the OS functions fine for my needs. But I feel desperate for a UI update. I'm quite bored with what we currently have.

Same. If Apple don't do something revolutionary with the UI I'm switching to the Galaxy S4.

Zcott
Feb 26, 2013, 03:59 AM
By enabling live icons, wouldn't that basically turn the icon into a sort of animation? I'm not sure if a whole screen of app icons blinking / flashing (you know at least 20% of apps will go strobe!) would add in a positive way, the visual overload may even deter a user from wanting to use / pickup the device.

Then it would be a case of only allowing 'some' apps to have live updating icons, icon approval processes, it could end up being a total mess..

I don't think it would be this bad. Apple would need to specify that live icons would have to have some sort of functionality and not just eye candy. For example, weather icon having the actual weather. In most cases, the current badge notifications would be ok.

BvizioN
Feb 26, 2013, 04:41 AM

You are right, it would and am not on favor of it. Unless there is an option to unable-disable. Like i said before, it may make the screen look cool or somewhat (too much of it distracting) but i doubt the usefulness of it.

smoking monkey
Feb 26, 2013, 04:52 AM

Safari ad blocker

Yes to these!

But can't you already fit more than 12 apps in a folder? On the iPad you can. I don't have many iphone apps (about 25 at most on my phone ATM) so I don't use folders on it.

Would love to delete newsstand. Why am I forced to have that, but I have to download iBooks???

TheLondoner
Feb 26, 2013, 06:28 AM
First thing I did when I updated to iOS 6 and saw Apple maps was attempt to downgrade back to iOS 5, only to find out that I needed SHSH blobs that I didn't have. Then I was like..

Image (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-uiYYYnHt3gU/TnnSiGlrA4I/AAAAAAAABPs/sVEhhTKUC1g/s1600/fuuuu_by_ku127-png.jpg)

lol! Yesterday i read the guy who came up with the apple maps idea was sacked then i cheered :). Hopefully apple go back to integrated googlemaps for ios 7 eh? :P

devdarwin
Feb 26, 2013, 10:24 AM
*********************INFO*********************
Code Name: N41AP
Hardware Model: iPhone 5,1
OS Type: Darwin
Version: iOS 7.0 (10A1410b)
Links : Twitter / steve: @appledev3781

Premium1
Feb 26, 2013, 10:26 AM

???

jrswizzle
Feb 26, 2013, 10:28 AM

Very very interesting....ultimately, iOS 7 is the Apple product I am most interested in this year (that and the Haswell-possibly retina MBA).

If that picture is true, maybe Ive and Co. have had enough time to work their design magic?

AQUADock
Feb 26, 2013, 10:31 AM

That looks nice but it could very easily be a winterboard theme.

erichess22
Feb 26, 2013, 11:17 AM

Apple buys hundreds of patents yearly. Most of which they never release anything from.

pk7
Feb 26, 2013, 11:46 AM

Isn't "10A" a prefix for iOS 6.0?

cynics
Feb 26, 2013, 12:02 PM
I'd like to see a revamped notification system. I get a lot of text when I'm using my phone and the current process sucks (for me).

Half the time it blocks me from hitting the back button easily. Even more annoying I'll be reading a long article, get a text but hesitate, when I click on it I hit the time and it scrolls to the top.

To be honest it feels like features are being crammed into an OS that wasn't designed for them.

How they could make it better? I don't know I'll leave that for the geniuses at Apple. :)

treichert
Feb 26, 2013, 01:14 PM

This is ********. iOS 6.0 has the 10AXXX build numbers, 6.1 is already at 10BXXX.

iOS 7 would be 11AXXX.

TheRainKing
Feb 26, 2013, 04:02 PM
lol! Yesterday i read the guy who came up with the apple maps idea was sacked then i cheered :). Hopefully apple go back to integrated googlemaps for ios 7 eh? :P

Would be nice but I don't think theres any chance of that happening. Apple and Google don't like each other much these days.

TacticalDesire
Feb 26, 2013, 09:12 PM
A way to clear app cache would be nice, or at least a way to force "clean" them all. There's no need for most apps to balloon in size after being used, space is already tight on my 13.5 GB 4S with about 10GB of music + photos/videos. Like...why do I need Instagram and twitter taking up 120 MB each? I don't even have any space to take pictures.

I shouldn't have to constantly delete and reinstall apps to free up space, and every time I do, my phone is back to being packed to the gills within a matter of days.

Try going to settings<safari<advanced<website data and see if that clears up anything. I'm not sure exactly how full your phone is but it might give you a little but of breathing room.

Shadyriley
Feb 27, 2013, 02:09 AM
I want Visual Voicemal 2.0, that transcribes your voicemails into text

tekno
Feb 27, 2013, 02:13 AM
I want Visual Voicemal 2.0, that transcribes your voicemails into text

I like this idea.

rhett7660
Feb 27, 2013, 12:50 PM
I have a few ideas and wants:

Separate accounts business and personal accounts that can be accessed from one interface. I like what BB has done with the business side and the personal side of the phone.

Separate user accounts. Log on and log off.

On the iPad, ability to have two screens open at once, side by side. Whether it is a two browser windows or two applications or any combination there of. Switching back and forth is nice, but I think this would be nicer.

CosmicDice
Feb 27, 2013, 01:01 PM
I just hope that Apple follows jailbreak seen and take ideas from there. After that some of you wouldnt need to jailbreak anymore. Security would be so much better.

Italianblend
Feb 27, 2013, 02:01 PM
All I ask is a forward delete button and the ability to change text bubble colors...

that's not too much to ask, is it????

seble
Mar 2, 2013, 05:44 PM
For me I've been thinking about a tile type effect, kinda like iTunes 11. Can you imagine having the home screen show apps that large, would make things really useful! don't know if that makes sense, but here's my concept I made for the music app in ios anyways

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsGUirgG2vQ&feature=youtu.be

Parise
May 22, 2013, 01:10 PM
Would be cool to allow users to use iCloud like a dropbox or box account.

WeegieMac
May 22, 2013, 02:40 PM
I think a hell of a lot of people are setting themselves up for huge disappointment with such high self expectations.