Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Itsallkosher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
Boston/Tel-Aviv
I'm trying to print a document to a Ricoh Aficio MP 7001 copier/scanner/fax/etc. It want to just use USB printing by hooking up the printer to my Mac. I go to Add a New Printer, though, and the Aficio doesn't show up. I read something about PostScript, but don't quite understand what that's all about. Is there an easy way to use this multi-function copier as a simple USB printer? Thanks!

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Try to download and install the driver manually. Then the Mac should "see" the printer.

Itsallkosher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
Boston/Tel-Aviv
Thanks for the reply. The only "driver" download I found on the Ricoh page, I download and installed. It is the install for a "PPD File." However, I still don't see the printer when I hook it up. Any more ideas?

bwolfcale

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2010
I may be wrong, but it seem like your Mac should "seeing" the printer with or without the drivers installed. The PPD file you downloaded is needed for the computer/printer to talk effectively, but not to "detect" the printer.

I would likely blame the printer.. Sometimes those machines don't actually support USB printing, whether or not it has a port. Or maybe USB printing could be disabled in the Admin settings of the machine??

Is there a reason your not trying to print over the network wired or wireless? That is your best bet.. If you still can't automatically detect it on the network, but you are sure the machine is connected to the network, you could try to add the printer manually with the IP address of the machine.

----------

If you are really interested in figuring this thing out.. here is the manual. :D

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Your printer should be supported per the list on the Apple Support Page.

Run the troubleshooting steps, try a different cable, and if no go - might be a printer problem.

Itsallkosher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
Boston/Tel-Aviv
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll try another cable today and if not, I suppose the USB isn't working on the printer. I figured that the machine would at least show up, so it makes sense that it's a connection problem.

The network is a closed network where our own personal devices cannot connect to their wi-fi/ethernet. I just do a lot of work on my Mac and it's a pain sometimes to transfer everything to the work PC, mess with saving iWork files as PDF's to email to myself to print, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.