Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

craigsharp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
Oklahoma
I purchased a Late 2005 DP 2.3 and a 2.0 some time ago. The 2.0 came in first so i began using that one. Then my 2.3 came in so I just swapped hard drives. All worked fairly well, minus the extremely loud fans during sleep. So I just scrapped my whole plan of going old school......... Until now. I stuck a hard drive in my 2.0DP and tried installing Leopard from a burned disc image. All went well partitioning but when it got down to halfway through the install process it said something about not being able to install essentials package... I read and read and read some more about needing to pull all ram except for original amount... Tried it and the same thing happened. I then thought maybe my superdrive was going out because during the final moments before telling me it couldn't install the essentials package the DVD would spin up then stop, spin up then stop and so on for a minute or so. So I hooked up a SATA dvd drive with some southern ingenuity and was able to hold option during startup and see the install dvd... But when I clicked on it it then went to apple logo and spinning gear and the fans revved up and then restart. So I swapped back to original DVD drive and the same thing now happens each and everytime. I can no longer get it to boot into the install disc.

Please HELP!!!

seriously any help would be AWESOME!

craigsharp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
Oklahoma
Which part? the part of it saying cant install essentials package? or the part where it now wont load at all and just hangs on the apple logo?

craigsharp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
Oklahoma
Seems odd that all of a sudden it just hangs on apple logo after successfully loading the install disc numerous times before.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
Hi,

well, I'd say the installation disk is suspect. Do you have any reason to trust that installation package (as in having used it successfully before)? Also (if you still have the 2.3) you could try a different disk drive.

But generally the things you've read are correct, in that if installation fails, taking out all non-original parts may help...

RGDS,

craigsharp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
Oklahoma
yes, I've used this same disc in an older mdd powermac g4 1.25dp and it worked flawlessly back then... I have tried using that superdrive to boot but it was a no go as well, I'm thinking the powermac maybe just got overheated? causing it to not want to load off the disc? At work now but will try again tonight when i get home, I'll have the next 5 days off so I'll be able to fiddle around with it more.

nemesiswar

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
Sweden
When i installed Leopard on my Mac mini G4 which dosent have a superdrive I first installed Tiger and made i 10 GB extra partion on my HD where i later used disk utilities to make a recovery drive of Leopard. Voila! Leopard installed perfectly.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
I purchased a Late 2005 DP 2.3 and a 2.0 some time ago. The 2.0 came in first so i began using that one. Then my 2.3 came in so I just swapped hard drives. All worked fairly well, minus the extremely loud fans during sleep. So I just scrapped my whole plan of going old school......... Until now. I stuck a hard drive in my 2.0DP and tried installing Leopard from a burned disc image. All went well partitioning but when it got down to halfway through the install process it said something about not being able to install essentials package... I read and read and read some more about needing to pull all ram except for original amount... Tried it and the same thing happened. I then thought maybe my superdrive was going out because during the final moments before telling me it couldn't install the essentials package the DVD would spin up then stop, spin up then stop and so on for a minute or so. So I hooked up a SATA dvd drive with some southern ingenuity and was able to hold option during startup and see the install dvd... But when I clicked on it it then went to apple logo and spinning gear and the fans revved up and then restart. So I swapped back to original DVD drive and the same thing now happens each and everytime. I can no longer get it to boot into the install disc.

Please HELP!!!

seriously any help would be AWESOME!

Do you have any add on cards installed? My QC DP G5 kernel panicked on startup because of a SATA card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.