PDA

View Full Version : Mophie Announces Juice Pack Helium for iPhone 5

MacRumors
Feb 5, 2013, 11:10 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/05/mophie-announces-juice-pack-helium-for-iphone-5/)

Mophie has announced the iPhone 5 version (http://www.mophie.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=2250_JPH-IP5-MBLK) of its popular Juice Pack line of battery cases. The $79.95 Juice Pack Helium comes with a 1500mAh battery that can give the iPhone 5 80% more battery life, good for an estimated additional 6 hours of LTE use.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/02/helium-stacked.jpgEngineered with edge-to-edge protection and outfitted with 80% more battery life to keep your iPhone 5 safe and charged, the juice pack helium allows you to truly Do more(TM). Its elegant, thin design makes it the perfect accessory, easily fitting into any pocket or handbag. The enhanced forward-ported acoustics redirects the iPhone audio towards you, optimizing playback and maximizing your experience.F13fSns1I2c
The dark metallic color ships on February 14th, while the silver units will ship in early March. They are available through Mophie's online store (http://www.mophie.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=2250_JPH-IP5-MBLK).

Article Link: Mophie Announces Juice Pack Helium for iPhone 5 (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/05/mophie-announces-juice-pack-helium-for-iphone-5/)

JaySoul
Feb 5, 2013, 11:21 AM
Does it make your voice high-pitched?

gmanist1000
Feb 5, 2013, 11:22 AM
Took long enough!

JediZenMaster
Feb 5, 2013, 11:23 AM
It's about time! I wonder how this compares to the otterbox charging case that's coming out

thacube
Feb 5, 2013, 11:25 AM
ordered mine this morning

camnchar
Feb 5, 2013, 11:30 AM
This will allow me to play Temple Run 2 for an additional 20 minutes!

CrAkD
Feb 5, 2013, 11:31 AM
just ordered mine. I dunno if apple is the culprit or if its mophie. why not just a lightning pass through? i flipping HATE micro usb. the stupid chip has broken in 2 other mophies I've owned.

guzhogi
Feb 5, 2013, 11:34 AM
I had the corresponding case for my iPhone 4 and really liked it. Might get this for my iPhone 5.

My gripes with the iPhone 4 version: it used micro-usb instead of a regular dock passthrough connection. That means that I couldn't use any other accessories while using this. So I had to remove the case to use any of my other accessories. Which didn't work well if I had depleted my iPhone's battery and was using the Mophie case to charge it.

just ordered mine. I dunno if apple is the culprit or if its mophie. why not just a lightning pass through? i flipping HATE micro usb. the stupid chip has broken in 2 other mophies I've owned.

Beat me to it!

My other gripe is how much thickness it added. It made using the volume buttons difficult to use with my fat fingers. I wouldn't mind the added thickness if they had overlays for the various buttons.

pepsplace
Feb 5, 2013, 11:37 AM
ordered mine this morning
Full price including sales tax and shipping. Better off waiting till it his the apple store, at least you'll get itune rewards!!

bornblind
Feb 5, 2013, 11:50 AM
Full price including sales tax and shipping. Better off waiting till it his the apple store, at least you'll get itune rewards!!

Nevermind I found it.

tarasis
Feb 5, 2013, 11:51 AM
Yay something to help with the poor iPhone 5 battery. (3GS/wifi signal, LTE is just dire though fab speeds)

Squilly
Feb 5, 2013, 11:56 AM
It's about time! I wonder how this compares to the otterbox charging case that's coming out

There's one coming out?

pgiguere1
Feb 5, 2013, 12:08 PM
Still too bulky, I'm waiting for the Juice Pack Hydrogen.

spurbs
Feb 5, 2013, 12:11 PM
any idea if it will be in stores 2/14? I leave for vacation 2/15 and would really like to have it with me

MLMcMillion
Feb 5, 2013, 12:13 PM
I wish I had a need for this, because it looks slick.

ppdix
Feb 5, 2013, 12:15 PM
Horrible!:confused:

AngerDanger
Feb 5, 2013, 12:18 PM
Jeez, it looks like the Juice Packs in the picture are having a particularly intense make out session.

davidgnomo
Feb 5, 2013, 12:30 PM
:eek: :confused:

Coupon code given by Mophie not working on their site ... seems like they don't want to sell their new battery case !!! Way to go ... I'm not buying !!!

:cool: :mad:

BornAgainApple
Feb 5, 2013, 12:33 PM

I see what you did there

STiNG Operation
Feb 5, 2013, 12:49 PM
:eek: :confused:

Coupon code given by Mophie not working on their site ... seems like they don't want to sell their new battery case !!! Way to go ... I'm not buying !!!

:cool: :mad:

I'm right there with you. I was about to pull the trigger with my 15% off and they deactivated it specifically for the iPhone 5 Helium...

misterjay
Feb 5, 2013, 12:51 PM
Eh IDK...

Spending $80 on Mophie.. first time ever user here for any battery packs.. worth it?

DerekRod
Feb 5, 2013, 01:12 PM
Mophie is worth it but really they email me about a discount on the iPhone 5 case and the coupon code doesnt work.Great job Mophie :rolleyes:

RedTomato
Feb 5, 2013, 01:27 PM
I got an Anker 3200mAh add-on battery pack for my 4S.

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005LADF2Y?vs=1

Quite pleased with it. Not a case, just a battery pack that charges the phone via USB.

Benefits: can connect to and charge any USB phone eg Android, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, 5S etc. Can power other things that take power via USB. Same size as iPhone and far more power than the Morphie - enough for a couple of full charges of my iPhone 4S. Cheaper than Morphie. Paid about £15 . Weighs about half of the weight of my iPhone.

I leave it home most days & only bring it when expect heavy use or plan to be away from home or if I forgot to charge my phone overnight. Been very useful so far.

mrsir2009
Feb 5, 2013, 01:56 PM
I wish I had a need for this, because it looks slick.

You do: You’ll only need to charge your iPhone every second day, rather than every single day :D

JSmoove05
Feb 5, 2013, 02:24 PM
All this time and they cant make it with a lighting cable passthrough??? Gotta be kidding me thats really a deal breaker for me.

cclloyd
Feb 5, 2013, 02:25 PM

NUL is better.

3rdiguy
Feb 5, 2013, 02:57 PM
Best thing to do is hold out a little longer because I'm sure they have something equivalent to the Juice Pack Plus coming out soon. This is like the "Air". Just like before with open volume button area and the higher capacity model may provide more coverage. People will jump all over this thinking that's it.

3rdiguy
Feb 5, 2013, 03:02 PM
Waiting on Juice Pack Pro

ghettochris
Feb 5, 2013, 03:02 PM
All this time and they cant make it with a lighting cable passthrough??? Gotta be kidding me thats really a deal breaker for me.

i looked at the pic and was like "looks like it has one?" watched the video and heard Micro USB. hahahaha, micro usb sucks! also, if switching to the iphone 5 from the 4, it's already a half inch taller, adding another half inch to that seems like too much. And don't go calling your @#%@# helium unless it makes the product lighter, such as iphone 5-wieght without case 100g, with new super helium case, 90g, our case is so awesome it weighs -10g!

I'd rather just have a backup battery in brick form with a usb outlet on it. i'm sure that would be preferred in most cases.

zorinlynx
Feb 5, 2013, 03:14 PM
our case is so awesome it weighs -10g!

Careful. Last time I had a case that weighs -10G I accidentally dropped it while it was off the phone. I couldn't catch it in time before it bonked me on the chin and fell up into the sky out of reach.

It's probably halfway to the moon by now, or further.

BlindGoldfish
Feb 5, 2013, 04:21 PM
Careful. Last time I had a case that weighs -10G I accidentally dropped it while it was off the phone. I couldn't catch it in time before it bonked me on the chin and fell up into the sky out of reach.

Weight is a function of mass and gravity. Even if something weighed -10G, it could never travel past earth's gravitational pull since anything times zero is zero.

nep61
Feb 5, 2013, 04:39 PM
Eh IDK...

Spending $80 on Mophie.. first time ever user here for any battery packs.. worth it?

imho..... NO... the Micro USB was located on the bottom corner of the two I bought for the 4S.... both broke... Not sure if the one for the 5 would be any better.

Just checked the Mophie web site.... NOT ONE PICTURE shows the MICRO USB connector to charge the device. Only the openings for the headphone jack, the Lighning connector and the Mute / Volume buttons.
In my experience, they have been on the EXACT WRONG spot and do not connect well... Both that I purchased are broken at that connection point..... and I did not MAN HANDLE them at all, I take good care of my Stuff... the Mophie Juice Pack for the 4S was junk...

TouchMint.com
Feb 5, 2013, 04:48 PM
Looks pretty cool might grab one but my friend had a similar case and it had trouble with his flash on the phone not working well. Can anyone confirm the flash and camera still works well with this on?

misterjay
Feb 5, 2013, 04:48 PM
Wait what, we have to use a micro USB in order to get our iPhone charged is what i'm reading/looking or am i wrong?

jlgolson
Feb 5, 2013, 05:07 PM
imho..... NO... the Micro USB was located on the bottom corner of the two I bought for the 4S.... both broke... Not sure if the one for the 5 would be any better.

Just checked the Mophie web site.... NOT ONE PICTURE shows the MICRO USB connector to charge the device. Only the openings for the headphone jack, the Lighning connector and the Mute / Volume buttons.
As you can see in the image in the article, the MicroUSB port is at the bottom of the case where the Lightning connector would be.

1080p
Feb 5, 2013, 05:30 PM
If I was keeping my iPhone 5, I'd be interested, but when 6.1 didn't solve my signal issues, I ordered myself a Galaxy Note 2, 64gb SD card and a Mugen 6400 mah extended battery. Reviews say that battery gives the Note 2 a whopping 3-4 days battery life with regular usage!

ikramerica
Feb 5, 2013, 06:11 PM
If I was keeping my iPhone 5, I'd be interested, but when 6.1 didn't solve my signal issues, I ordered myself a Galaxy Note 2, 64gb SD card and a Mugen 6400 mah extended battery. Reviews say that battery gives the Note 2 a whopping 3-4 days battery life with regular usage!

Yes, I'm going to take mine to Apple "genius" to explain why the signal issues aren't resolved. I have friends with 5s with no problems so it may be a bad batch of chips...

Uncle David
Feb 5, 2013, 06:57 PM
Mophie replies... "Of course not!" when replying to the concern that the bottom microphone on the iPhone will be covered. Looks like it's covered to me!

They say the sound will be redirected. That may be all well and good for the sound coming out, but I'm not so sure it works so well for the sound going in. Particularly if your on the speakerphone.

Crzyrio
Feb 5, 2013, 07:47 PM

I would think then they would have to pay licensing to apple?

1080p
Feb 5, 2013, 07:53 PM
Yes, I'm going to take mine to Apple "genius" to explain why the signal issues aren't resolved. I have friends with 5s with no problems so it may be a bad batch of chips...

But I have already replaced it with Genius. No bueno.

B4U
Feb 5, 2013, 08:09 PM

Wrong...
Since it has negative mass, it means the moon's gravitational pull will repel it from even getting close to it.
In other words, it is not to the moon, but probably bypassing it. :p

1Alec1
Feb 5, 2013, 08:20 PM
Rather than letting people switch the iPhone batteries, Apple forces some of its customers to use this. Very frustrating for some, but I think it's worth it when you consider how many people don't need this.

rbrian
Feb 5, 2013, 08:21 PM
Wrong...
Since it has negative mass, it means the moon's gravitational pull will repel it from even getting close to it.
In other words, it is not to the moon, but probably bypassing it. :p

And when it gets beyond any soyrce of mass, it's also beyond any source of friction, and so inertia will keep it going. Perpetual motion, and all it took was antigravity!

RemE
Feb 6, 2013, 12:30 AM
You can thank Apple for the micro USB connection, I believe they aren't allowing 3rd parties to use Lightning pass thru connections. Knock-off companies don't care but I'd expect larger companies like Mophie will heed Apple's rules.

PinoyAko
Feb 6, 2013, 08:13 AM
It seems to interfere with the iPhone's signal. Maybe it is just me but does anyone experiences this?

legacyb4
Feb 6, 2013, 08:26 AM
I went the route of getting an external power pack (Mophie Powerstation mini) through their X-mas sale this time around with the 5, seeing as how much extra bulk the case added to the 4 previously.

So far, I've had to only use it a few times but it's nice to know that the mini can be used/shared with other phones and devices as well.

notewar
Feb 6, 2013, 08:59 AM
Mophie is worth it but really they email me about a discount on the iPhone 5 case and the coupon code doesnt work.Great job Mophie :rolleyes:

if you dont mind can you Pm the discount code? I might get one. THank

mixel
Feb 6, 2013, 09:20 AM
I've had my juicepack for the iphone for for a very long time now and not had any problems with it other than the long term wearing away of some of the paint on the metallic (plastic) rim. This iP5 design looks like it might avoid that? It looks a bit cheap once its well used! Not had any trouble with the microUSB, it's actually been pretty handy it not using the standard connector in my house, as however many 30pin cables i have around someone has them plugged into something else at the most inconvenient moment. :)

Mine's been really useful, has protected my iphone from a couple of drops and I use its extra battery almost daily. (tethering and so on eat power pretty fast)

nep61
Feb 6, 2013, 12:40 PM
As you can see in the image in the article, the MicroUSB port is at the bottom of the case where the Lightning connector would be.

You are right, my bad... Well at least it's located in a better spot than it is for the 4S version

mono1980
Feb 6, 2013, 01:49 PM
I love my Mophie for the 4S. It let's me not worry about battery life at all during long days of travel. It's fantastic. And if I want to feel stylish, I can just remove the case and go naked for awhile. I haven' t had any trouble with the micro-usb port either and I've had it over a year. The only annoying this is the LEDs that blink while charging at night.

DerekRod
Feb 6, 2013, 02:03 PM
I love my Mophie for the 4S. It let's me not worry about battery life at all during long days of travel. It's fantastic. And if I want to feel stylish, I can just remove the case and go naked for awhile. I haven' t had any trouble with the micro-usb port either and I've had it over a year. The only annoying this is the LEDs that blink while charging at night.

Apparently the LED's dont blink anymore unless you press the button now which is a welcome improvement

STiNG Operation
Feb 6, 2013, 02:06 PM
if you dont mind can you Pm the discount code? I might get one. THank

The discount code(s) don't work for the mophie helium as far as I know. He would be talking about the "KEEP15" code for 15% most likely.

ratsg
Feb 6, 2013, 02:23 PM
:)

I had to read your comment a couple of times.

the first time through, I read this as "I have replaced my Apple Genius with a burrito."

:)

But I have already replaced it with Genius. No bueno.

Yumbo
Feb 6, 2013, 05:50 PM

What rewards?

CrAkD
Feb 6, 2013, 06:27 PM
i see that there is going to be an air and pro as well. im fine with ordering the helium. I had the air and plus for my 4 and 4S and didn't see much of a difference. with the iphone 5 being so thin id rather a thinner battery case.

mixel
Feb 7, 2013, 07:48 AM
Haha yeah the light is pretty intense. Once my eyes have adjusted my mophie works well as a nightlight.

tfigs
Feb 8, 2013, 02:22 PM
I emailed customer support about being issued a rebate code after signing up for the mailing list and then how the rebate code will not work with the purchase of the new Helium case. Here is their response.

"I completely understand your point of view and understand. This was per the CEO of the company. For what reason, we do not know why. I would suggest saving the coupon code for a later purchase. Again, I apologize for any inconvenience."

So, the decision came from the top. I will try and contact the CEO and voice my concerns about the rebate code not being honored with the Helium case.

snowcrash
Feb 25, 2013, 12:45 PM
Got mine this weekend. I know they just announced the air but really don't need 100% more each and every day. 80% plus a smaller size was perfect for my needs. Honestly I'd be happy with getting an extra 20-50% more on my average days and for travel days 80% is perfect!!

Lets me move up my brightness a little, not worrying about anything like wifi or Bluetooth or notifications or apps draining it and so on. Peace of mind really. Also helps because when I'm home I'm lazy and drain it down to 5% because the damn charging cable is so damn short and hate being tethered to the wall.

I've had Mophie cases before and they make a great product. This one is just as good as any of them I've had in the past. Like the size, feel and the darker one is pretty slick looking too. I think the size is great. Still pocketable. Having the extra battery life is awesome.

As far as syncing it using the lightening accessories, I have a Mini Countryman with a Ycable with lightening adapter on it, it is so easy to remove the bottom while leaving the top part of the case on it doesn't bug me at all. So for those times I want to listen to a podcast or music off the phone in the car, i just remove the bottom. Pretty simple and takes 2 seconds. Everything else I have/need can be done via Bluetooth, wifi and airplay so for me the access to the lightening port is a moot point.

Primejimbo
Feb 28, 2013, 08:20 AM
Got mine this weekend. I know they just announced the air but really don't need 100% more each and every day. 80% plus a smaller size was perfect for my needs. Honestly I'd be happy with getting an extra 20-50% more on my average days and for travel days 80% is perfect!!

Lets me move up my brightness a little, not worrying about anything like wifi or Bluetooth or notifications or apps draining it and so on. Peace of mind really. Also helps because when I'm home I'm lazy and drain it down to 5% because the damn charging cable is so damn short and hate being tethered to the wall.

I've had Mophie cases before and they make a great product. This one is just as good as any of them I've had in the past. Like the size, feel and the darker one is pretty slick looking too. I think the size is great. Still pocketable. Having the extra battery life is awesome.

As far as syncing it using the lightening accessories, I have a Mini Countryman with a Ycable with lightening adapter on it, it is so easy to remove the bottom while leaving the top part of the case on it doesn't bug me at all. So for those times I want to listen to a podcast or music off the phone in the car, i just remove the bottom. Pretty simple and takes 2 seconds. Everything else I have/need can be done via Bluetooth, wifi and airplay so for me the access to the lightening port is a moot point.

Do you have to remove the case every time you charge it or can you use the USB to charge the iPhone and the case at the same time?

axPoindexter
Feb 28, 2013, 08:48 AM
Do you have to remove the case every time you charge it or can you use the USB to charge the iPhone and the case at the same time?

The supplied USB charges the iPhone and Mophie at the same time.

And I'll second snowcrash's statement on the peace of mind part. That's the real value. I got mine last week and did 3 back to back days on the ski slopes running:

SkiTracks (GPS tracking app)
Spotify (streaming music)
iMessage
Find My Friends
Email (keep in touch with work)
IMO (instant chat to keep in touch with work)

The iPhone 5 battery could only handle this load for about 3 hours before being around 10% battery left. I'd have to quit apps and watch my phone before getting the Mophie. Now I leave everything running and still have over half the battery life before my legs can't handle another run.

Primejimbo
Feb 28, 2013, 08:57 AM
The supplied USB charges the iPhone and Mophie at the same time.

And I'll second snowcrash's statement on the peace of mind part. That's the real value. I got mine last week and did 3 back to back days on the ski slopes running:

SkiTracks (GPS tracking app)
Spotify (streaming music)
iMessage
Find My Friends
Email (keep in touch with work)
IMO (instant chat to keep in touch with work)

The iPhone 5 battery could only handle this load for about 3 hours before being around 10% battery left. I'd have to quit apps and watch my phone before getting the Mophie. Now I leave everything running and still have over half the battery life before my legs can't handle another run.

Thanks!!!! I thinking about doing this because I work outside all day long and I have to be careful about battery life to make sure I have enough. I don't like car chargers because was always told that isn't good for the phone battery.