PDA

View Full Version : Japan music labels look to impose 'iPod Tax' while Sony, W...

MacBytes
Oct 10, 2005, 08:59 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Tunes
Link: Japan music labels look to impose 'iPod Tax' while Sony, Warner still not signing with Apple iTunes (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051010095906)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

macnulty
Oct 10, 2005, 09:20 AM
1. Find goose
2. Check for golden egg
3. load and lock weapon of choice
4. Point at goose
5. Fire
6. Bitch about no more eggs

Yvan256
Oct 10, 2005, 09:29 AM
It seems they're already collecting such fees from miniDisc and CD players. If that's the case, then yes, they should collect the same fees from iPods (and all other MP3 players).

That said, I'm still waiting for instructions on how to get a refund on the Canadian levy I paid on my iPod (10GB, 3rd gen). I'm glad this (stupid) levy got removed.

Edit: they added the instruction on my birthday... I guess I should check Apple.ca more often instead of Apple.com :D

Edit 2: I think I remember paying 25$ of levy on my 10GB iPod... Did Future Shop screw up on the amount to be collected?

nagromme
Oct 10, 2005, 10:49 AM
It does sound like a lost cause if all other kinds of music players already have this. But the % comes to a higher amount--not fair when you consider that most iPod owners don't use all that space. Or at least, not for music.

Passante
Oct 10, 2005, 11:32 AM
I don't know if I'm a typical iTunes buyer but I just looked at my purchased music and only half of it is new music. The rest is music that I own on LPs and am too lazy to digitize or the records are in bad condition so I downloaded them from iTunes. Thats about 40 sales that record companies would not get from me if the iTunes store and iPod did not exist. I actually would not have gotten around to purchasing alot of the new music if iTunes did not exist.

Yvan256
Oct 10, 2005, 11:58 AM
I don't know if I'm a typical iTunes buyer but I just looked at my purchased music and only half of it is new music.

Depends on what you consider "new".

Here's a breakdown from my 34 purchased (non-free) tracks:
- 5 tracks from 1980-1989
- 8 tracks from 1990-1999
- 21 tracks from 2000-2004

To stay somehow on-topic, I guess it'll be a long time before we see a single world-wide iTunes Music Store (and I know it's not Apple's fault)... :(

greatdevourer
Oct 10, 2005, 12:34 PM
Well, this isn't utter bollocks :rolleyes: I have 20GB of music, and not 1 second has come off any online store. I know... what... 4 people who have bought anything of iTMS or MSNMusic or any other online store

TheIguana
Oct 10, 2005, 03:35 PM
They bloody well did the exact same thing here in Canada, it was eventually reversed and they were forced to return the money. But that is the point the Record Industry is just really starting to piss me off. All of this ******** about not getting enough money, hah! they get 2/3 of the payout form ever song sold on itunes are monolithic in their control over sales and screw every-last penny out of artist. With that I have had it with this ******** from a dying industry, from today on I will never buy another CD or song from any of the major labels! They can try and screw me out of my money but I think I would rather just give them the finger and take my business elsewhere.

Iggy *pissed off* :eek:

shamino
Oct 10, 2005, 04:27 PM
... the Japanese Society for Rights of Authors, Composers and Publishers. "Now everyone who used to be using CD's and MD's are using iPods," said Koichi Numamura, head of the society's recording rights department. "We can't just sit by silently while we lose money."
In other words, "we have no clue how to make what the public wants to buy, and they're buying from our competitors now. We must punish them for their lack of obedience."

dops7107
Oct 10, 2005, 04:37 PM
Amazing:

The Japanese recording industry complains that the sudden rise of the portable digital players is robbing it of the revenue that used to come from the fees on CD and MD recorders.

"We rather enjoyed robbing you blindly before - why can't we do it again? No fair!!"

macnulty
Oct 10, 2005, 05:38 PM
The resentfull part is the boorish attitude of the recording industry that an iPod sale results in lost revenue to them. I've already paid for the music, why do they need to tax me if I want my music on a different medium. Besides, I don't think the government should be the bag man for the record industry.

solvs
Oct 10, 2005, 06:08 PM
See, it isn't just Americans that suck. :p

macnulty
Oct 10, 2005, 08:31 PM
See, it isn't just Americans that suck. :p

To suck or not suck crosses all boundries of nationality, race or pick your favorite method of human distinction.

iMeowbot
Oct 10, 2005, 08:44 PM
That said, I'm still waiting for instructions on how to get a refund on the Canadian levy I paid on my iPod (10GB, 3rd gen).
http://www.apple.com/ca/ipodlevyrefund/

Abstract
Oct 11, 2005, 07:32 PM
I think the entire thing is getting ridiculous. They have a new competitor, so they want to charge a tax so that they don't start losing money? :rolleyes: Sorry, but someone has to lose money, and if Sony and Warner are the ones who lose money, who cares? It's not personal. It's business. This is what competition is all about.

Maybe Sony Music should start putting blame on Sony's electronics department for making such ***** products.