Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flyshop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
I recently bought an Apple TV using the Apple HDMI cable. Compared to
other brands of HDMI cable, other than the connections, the cable itself
is thinner and more flexible. Have not noticed any HD performance but I
am only using it for Airplay and to listen to my music on the iPhone while I
exercise and look at pictures on the screen saver.

Does anyone use the Apple HDMI for all of there connections for cable, blu-ray,
etc? And is the quality the same?

Thanks for any input.

Dennis

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
All HDMI cables do is send 1s and 0s. Your average Monoprice cable will get the same picture quality as the Apple HDMI cable.

JoeFkling

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2013
The main issue between cables is build quality. Function is the same and they either work or they dont. But some cables are built quite poorly and can fall apart after repeated plug ins and pull outs or if there is common movement with the cable.

Monster cables are built quite exceptionally well, but do no better job at sending the info. The same with the apple cable. it is a quality cable but does no better job at sending the data. So you can use a lower cost cable and it will function the same and most likely be just fine without issue. I find the lower cost cables work just fine and there is no need to buy the more expensive ones unless its in a harsh environment.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
as they've said HDMI either works or it doesn't, no half-way signal.

i've got several HDMI cables from monoprice. one has gone bad, think it had a loose connection in one end. i could move it around, and it would work until i let go.
I replaced it. and i could do that at least 25 more times before i even came close to the price of a monster cable.

most of the time, HDMI cables are plug it and forget it, it sits undisturbed in the back of the AV rack, if it's something you're going to be plugging and unplugging every day, i would go for one of the higher quality cables, but still those can be had for much less than monster offers.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
+1 for monoprice. Since my ATV is stuffed behind my TV, I don't really care about how the cable looks or feels -- only that it works.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I recently bought an Apple TV using the Apple HDMI cable. Compared to
other brands of HDMI cable, other than the connections, the cable itself
is thinner and more flexible. Have not noticed any HD performance but I
am only using it for Airplay and to listen to my music on the iPhone while I
exercise and look at pictures on the screen saver.

Does anyone use the Apple HDMI for all of there connections for cable, blu-ray,
etc? And is the quality the same?

Thanks for any input.

Dennis

The great thing about a digital signal is that it's really all or nothing. If you get picture and audio, that is a successful cable. There is no (contrary to what some cable salespeople will tell you) difference in picture quality by upgrading to a $100 vacuum-infused, long-grain silver, solid surface conductor, or whatever.

It's VERY different from the analog days where you could wring extra performance by investing in higher quality cables. So, as a general rule, don't fall for the pitch at stores of "well, you wouldn't buy a Ferrari and put regular unleaded in it, would you?"

For analog, I'd never buy the cheapest cable I could find, unless I didn't care about picture or sound quality. Some of that is still in use today: speaker wires, Component Video, stereo RCAs, are probably the only analog cables I'd consider upgrading on.

The only time most of us might even think about "investing more in an HDMI cable" would be if you're running the cable through a wall. In that case, it would likely benefit from extra shielding in amongst all the high-voltage wiring in a residential wall.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.