PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Computer Festival to Feature Apple Pop-Up Museum

MacRumors
Feb 5, 2013, 03:04 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/05/atlanta-computer-festival-to-feature-apple-pop-up-museum/)

Atlanta's first*Vintage Computer Festival Southeast (http://vintage.org/2013/southeast/) will feature an array of vintage Apple products in a 6,000 square foot display space that's being called the "Apple Pop-up Museum (http://applepopupmuseum.com)."

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/02/lisacomputer.jpg
The space will be organized into several different rooms, each focusing on a different era of Apple computers:

-Pre-Apple Room
-Apple I Room
-Apple II Room
-Turmoil Years Room
-No Founders Left Room
-Jobs' Come Back Room
-Ive's Colors Room
-iPod / iPhone / iPad Room
-The Timeline Lounge
-Apple's Present to the Future Room

The Pop-Up Museum's website (http://applepopupmuseum.com) offers some photos of the products that will be on display at the event, which will include several hard to find Apple computers.
The exhibit displays an exclusive collection of game-changing Apple personal computers and consumer electronics products while presenting the history of the company since its founding in 1976 to the present. An Apple I, the first disk II and controller card, an original Apple II, an original Lisa and a Xerox Alto are among the rare artifacts to be displayed.http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/02/appleii.jpg
The Apple Pop-Up Museum will be open on Saturday, April 20 and Sunday, April 21 2013. Attendees will need to pay a $10 admission fee.

Article Link: Atlanta Computer Festival to Feature Apple Pop-Up Museum (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/05/atlanta-computer-festival-to-feature-apple-pop-up-museum/)

Peace
Feb 5, 2013, 03:07 PM
Love how they named the rooms.

:p

CrazyForApple
Feb 5, 2013, 03:09 PM
Thank god Apple products don't look like these today

Renzatic
Feb 5, 2013, 03:11 PM

Hey, that was the height of cutting edge tech fashion back in the late 70's - early 80's. Just be glad it wasn't covered in faux wood paneling like everything else was back then.

AngerDanger
Feb 5, 2013, 03:24 PM
As cool as this sounds, the name is a bit misleading. I was imagining more of a:

http://i.imgur.com/eti42az.png

rbrian
Feb 5, 2013, 03:32 PM

I wonder what they'll be saying about today's products in 30 years?

mrsir2009
Feb 5, 2013, 03:52 PM

I hope you arenít talking about the late 90s/early 2000s :cool:

The Tuck
Feb 5, 2013, 03:57 PM
Cool! I'm totally going to go to this.

zed
Feb 5, 2013, 03:59 PM
Sweet, I'll be there.

JoeyCloverfield
Feb 5, 2013, 04:30 PM

And a few decades from now, provided Apple is still around, people will say the same thing about today's Apple devices.

Codyak
Feb 5, 2013, 04:56 PM
Oh the days of beige.

velocityg4
Feb 5, 2013, 04:59 PM
Love how they named the rooms.

:p

They had class, character and a certain warmth.. Now they are just boring. They have no vibrance anymore just slimmer, sleeker and cold.

tevion5
Feb 5, 2013, 05:04 PM
I hope you aren’t talking about the late 90s/early 2000s :cool:

I think the ones from that era will look awesome in a thousand years :D

I mean look...

nagromme
Feb 5, 2013, 05:09 PM
Since the Lisa and the classic Mac OS (along with NeXT, later on) are the forerunners of today's OS X and iOS, I was wondering if ANY interface elements remain from the earliest days to iOS 6 today.

• I could only come up with one: a VERY similar trashcan icon, all the way from the Lisa (and in fact the Xerox Star) to various apps (like Mail) in iOS today. (Apple innovated a lot with the Mac, but plenty of elements were taken from Xerox too--and Apple paid Xerox for them, as many forget.)

And, if you eliminate Lisa and start with the original Mac:

• The speaker volume icons today are similar to what classic Macs used, but Lisa didn't have them I don't think (judging by screenshots of Lisa's Preferences).

• And I believe classic Mac battery status icons (Control Strip on PowerBooks) were similar to the color version of the iOS battery status. (Inherited from what color-display iPods had used as well.)

Then, from NeXT, we have:

• The Dock, but greatly evolved to the point of being unrecognizable.

• Probably other stuff I'm not aware of.

But the really old Lisa/Classic Mac stuff is more interesting. Has anything else survived into iOS? (A few other things have survived into OS X.)

TreyCox
Feb 5, 2013, 05:11 PM
I will be there no doubt. Only 2 hours from home.

mrsir2009
Feb 5, 2013, 05:26 PM
I think the ones from that era will look awesome in a thousand years :D

I mean look...

Exactly - Timeless :cool:

http://km.support.apple.com/library/APPLE/APPLECARE_ALLGEOS/HT1463/300266_1.jpg
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3507/4051644357_13f0b1ff7c_z.jpg

Renzatic
Feb 5, 2013, 05:40 PM
I mean look...

The Luxo iMac was easily one of the coolest things Apple had done, but everything else from that era has always struck me as kinda ugly and goofy looking.

They started out great with the Apple II, and improved upon that look with the later snow white models. Then they got dumb with the candy shelled iMacs and iBooks (shown above in all their cheesy glory). That was Apple at their worst in my opinion. Things didn't improve until they started getting into their minimalism kick with the flat white G5 and Powerbooks.

afireintonto
Feb 5, 2013, 05:51 PM
Oh yes!!! My 4/20 plans are set!!

Rocketman
Feb 5, 2013, 06:36 PM
I don't need to go to the museum because I actually used most of that equipment from Apple // on. Including Lisa. If you have never seen a floppy drive before (SD cards and USB sticks fulfill that role now), it would be worth it just to see that. Apple used 5.x" floppies and the Xerox 820 and many computers of that pre-PC era used 8" floppies. As did I.

RolyPolyBird
Feb 5, 2013, 06:52 PM
Great idea.. if I was close by this would get me through the door.

LimeiBook86
Feb 5, 2013, 07:39 PM
Awesome! I wish I was closer, I'd definitely visit! :D

nagromme
Feb 5, 2013, 08:05 PM
Awesome! I wish I was closer, I'd definitely visit! :D

Judging by your user name, you have a collector's item of your own!

(Me too: I keep a sunflower iMac for playing Descent 3. I even have the subwoofer.)

RobertMartens
Feb 5, 2013, 08:59 PM
Then they got dumb with the candy shelled iMacs and iBooks (shown above in all their cheesy glory). That was Apple at their worst in my opinion.

That is YOUR opinion. I am certain the color iMacs helped many nervous first timers jump into the world of computing because of how inviting the color iMac were. First and foremost being the Bondi iMac.

JustALooney
Feb 5, 2013, 09:21 PM
[Deleted].

davester
Feb 5, 2013, 09:47 PM
Where's the Panic As The Stock Price Plunges Below $20 Due To Failed G4 Cube room?

Renzatic
Feb 6, 2013, 12:38 AM
That is YOUR opinion.

Yup. Hence why I said as much in my post.

I won't fault anyone for liking them. They do have their charms, I guess. They're just...not my style.

jonnyback
Feb 6, 2013, 03:17 AM
What's not to love... That top one has a DOUBLE floppy disk drive! Awesome!

I wonder if we we look back at the Mac Pro design and laugh at its double DVD drive (if we aren't already...)

Arcady
Feb 6, 2013, 07:35 AM
Can I charge $10 admission to my garage? I have most of those computers in there, except the Xerox.

I have two Apple II's with dual floppy drives. Big deal.

PracticalMac
Feb 6, 2013, 08:26 AM
I have some early Apple stuff myself, who is making such AWESOME museum in Texas?

ctdonath
Feb 6, 2013, 12:15 PM
Just a few miles from my workplace! Yay! I'm so there...and my wife will be so bored...

wilsonlaidlaw
Feb 6, 2013, 01:46 PM
I feel the the original Macintosh is where the story really started. I am surprised they did not put a Mac room between the Apple pre/I/II rooms and the turmoil room.

Wilson

highdough
Feb 6, 2013, 07:56 PM
So, I suppose I'll have to turn my pop-up blocker off if I want to visit this museum? No thanks.

Nunyabinez
Feb 7, 2013, 09:20 AM
I remember my Apple II being more beige than that picture. I don't know if they lightened up on the way to the Mac + or if those pictures just show the signs of age, because they look more "carmel" to me than beige.

Macrolido
Feb 7, 2013, 11:03 AM
The luxo iMac looked better in 2002.

AngerDanger
Feb 7, 2013, 01:32 PM
I remember my Apple II being more beige than that picture. I don't know if they lightened up on the way to the Mac + or if those pictures just show the signs of age, because they look more "carmel" to me than beige.

I think that carmel color is caused by the lighting; auto-adjusting the levels in Photoshop seems to bring it back to its expected color, which is probably how it would've looked under normal lighting. (I only care because I noticed the same thing while making that stupid pop-up picture)

JackieMB
Feb 7, 2013, 08:51 PM
I don't need to go to the museum because I actually used most of that equipment from Apple // on. Including Lisa. If you have never seen a floppy drive before (SD cards and USB sticks fulfill that role now), it would be worth it just to see that. Apple used 5.x" floppies and the Xerox 820 and many computers of that pre-PC era used 8" floppies. As did I.

These bring back memories... my first computer was the macintosh, I converted into an aquarium a few years back, so it's still useful today. Not sure if it is worth more as an aquarium or not.

tevion5
Feb 8, 2013, 07:53 PM
Then they got dumb with the candy shelled iMacs and iBooks (shown above in all their cheesy glory). That was Apple at their worst in my opinion. Things didn't improve until they started getting into their minimalism kick with the flat white G5 and Powerbooks.

The clam shell laptops were cheap looking IMO but the coloured iMacs? I think they look excellent. You realise these things were around in 1999 with OS9? I mean everybody had ugly grey Windows 95/98 desktops at that time. These things were a triumphant victory after 10 years of boring grey Wintel boxes.

----------

Just a few miles from my workplace! Yay! I'm so there...and my wife will be so bored...

Ahh, truly amazing how some people are incapable of loving this stuff :D

aapl-danial
Feb 9, 2013, 12:42 AM
Awesome! I'd visit that

LimeiBook86
Apr 3, 2013, 09:57 PM

(Me too: I keep a sunflower iMac for playing Descent 3. I even have the subwoofer.)

I think we used to play UT 2004 back in the day (if I'm not mixing people up) :). And yes, I have two Lime iBook machines, one is a 446MHz model with FireWire & a DVD drive. Some other fun models are my twin Color Classics and my G4 Cubes :D

LimeiBook86
Jun 11, 2013, 01:48 PM

Nice!! Yes I have a 366MHz and 466MHz SE models (FireWire and DVD-ROM), both aren't perfect, but fun to have. :D