Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matth3w

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
I paid 20 bucks from the app store. Bear in mind it takes about three days of solid downloading to download 4.37 GB here in Afghanistan with many outages and errors. My download gets to like 4.36 and then gets an error saying "cannot be downloaded". Then it disappears from the list and when I go to download again it doesn't pick up where it left off (unlike a couple of times where the internet went down and it did pick up)...is there way to get it on a DVD or have my wife download it with my pw back home?

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
mate sounds you need a download manager plug in such Downthemall, if the download will stop at some point for any reason with the download manager will resume from that point...

iPusch

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Manhattan, New York
Last edited by a moderator:

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
Easy solution, though a process for novice users.
have her download the app at home using your Apple ID and Password

Once its done, it should show in the dock and you can right click and show in finder, and then right click on the install mt lion icon and click show package contents

then click Contents > Shared Support

the InstallESD.dmg file is what she wants.
from there she can either transfer it via wifi if possible or buy a cheap 8GB Flash Drive and use disk utility to image it.

Just plug the flash drive into Disk Utility
Click the Flash Drive in disk utility
choose partition and select One partition, under options click GUID
click partition

then click the restore tab
and drag the InstallESD.dmg to the second blank text input field and it will make a bootable image for you

sounds like a process but can be easily taken care of,

entrywounds

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2012
To the OP, PM me your address and I will make you a bootable DVD or thumb drive if I have any extra laying around and mail it to you. I just got back from my 3rd tour and I truly understand the slow download situation over there and how frustrating it really is.

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
i had the exact same problem when i was there LOL! sucks... luckily i had lion and was able to buy the thumb drive. as far as ML.... you are SOL buddy. i would get the disc from the poster above me... as well as some kit-kats, real soda, and magazines. paper magazines. not the other kinds they give u that suck....

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
Just throwing this out there for concerns over a less tech-savvy wife...

Couldn't she just copy the "Install Mac OS X Mountain Lion" app to a flash drive or DVD? Problem solved without making her jump through hoops to make a bootable drive. OP should then be able to just run the app and install as if he had downloaded it himself.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Just throwing this out there for concerns over a less tech-savvy wife...

Couldn't she just copy the "Install Mac OS X Mountain Lion" app to a flash drive or DVD? Problem solved without making her jump through hoops to make a bootable drive. OP should then be able to just run the app and install as if he had downloaded it himself.

I agree that would be much easier and would work just fine.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
My download gets to like 4.36 and then gets an error saying "cannot be downloaded". Then it disappears from the list and when I go to download again it doesn't pick up where it left off (unlike a couple of times where the internet went down and it did pick up)
If you double-click on the .download file in the Downloads folder, it should resume from where it left off.
Otherwise, yes, your wife should be able to download the installer app and send it on a flash drive or DVD.

Matth3w

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
Wow, thanks for all the responses guys/gals. I pm'd entry to see what we can work out. Honestly I think it's a bit much for my wife honestly so let's see what happens.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
if you want a flash drive version, you could ask someone to make it for you or you buy it from someone who will make it for.

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
Wow, thanks for all the responses guys/gals. I pm'd entry to see what we can work out. Honestly I think it's a bit much for my wife honestly so let's see what happens.

If that doesn't work out, PM me an address and I will send you the full Install program for 10.8.2. You can

1. copy it to your Applications folder and run it from there, for an upgrade

or

2. follow instructions to make your own bootable USB stick for a fresh install

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.