PDA

View Full Version : How Could OS X Be Improved?

MacBytes
Oct 10, 2005, 02:33 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Mac OS X
Link: How Could OS X Be Improved? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051010153315)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

fayans
Oct 10, 2005, 02:41 PM
I miss solitaire game a lot since I switched from PC.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Oct 10, 2005, 02:49 PM
I miss solitaire game a lot since I switched from PC.Try the free Solitaire XL (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/games/cards_puzzle/solitairexl.html)... :rolleyes:

p0intblank
Oct 10, 2005, 02:53 PM
Try the free Solitaire XL (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/games/cards_puzzle/solitairexl.html)... :rolleyes:

Wow, thanks! :D I gotta admit, I miss my Solitaire when I'm on my Mac. :p

Edit: Haha, even Solitaire on the Mac owns the Windows version. The transparent background is a very nice touch. I also like how you can drag your own image onto the cards' backs.

fayans
Oct 10, 2005, 02:58 PM
Try the free Solitaire XL (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/games/cards_puzzle/solitairexl.html)... :rolleyes:
How on earth could I not know that? Thanks Mitthrawnuruodo. Now I have one more good reason why shouldn't I be in MR :D

iGary
Oct 10, 2005, 03:01 PM
I'd like to actually be able to maximize a window. :rolleyes:

Blue Velvet
Oct 10, 2005, 03:18 PM
When are we going to get animated desktop backgrounds?

Hopefully never. Somebody please remind me of the resource-hog that this would be.

Anyway, what's the point? Distracting eye-candy does not make good a UI and surely when using a Mac, the contents of windows are far more interesting than the desktop.

seriypshick
Oct 10, 2005, 03:24 PM
1. Iclude an option in finder to make the background non scrollable(icons scrool, picture stays in the same place)
2. Include an option for all apps (not Finder) to close the app when you click close button.

1macker1
Oct 10, 2005, 03:25 PM
I'd like to be able to surf the web without my browser coming to a almost complete stop. :( If anyone know of a setting to change, plz let me know :).

Mudbug
Oct 10, 2005, 03:27 PM
Hopefully never. Somebody please remind me of the resource-hog that this would be.

Anyway, what's the point? Distracting eye-candy does not make good a UI and surely when using a Mac, the contents of windows are far more interesting than the desktop.

for those with processor cycles to kill:
http://freshsqueeze.com/products/freeware/

backlight will do the trick.

snowdog
Oct 10, 2005, 03:37 PM
1) Give me a consistent gui.
2) Update the Automator app, it's dead slow and it needs LOADS of new stuff to make it really useful.

PlaceofDis
Oct 10, 2005, 03:39 PM
1. tabbed finder windows
2. tabbed ichat windows
3. consistant UI
4. expand on iCal features

Stella
Oct 10, 2005, 03:39 PM
1. Decide on a constant GUI style, and keep to one - no mash of 3 or 4 different styles.

2. Improve finder performance - especially the time it takes to populate "Open With" menu, sometimes can take too long.

3. Allow users to manually associate file types with applications - the ability to remove file associations...

gekko513
Oct 10, 2005, 03:48 PM
Wow, thanks! :D I gotta admit, I miss my Solitaire when I'm on my Mac. :p

Edit: Haha, even Solitaire on the Mac owns the Windows version. The transparent background is a very nice touch. I also like how you can drag your own image onto the cards' backs.
I made that :D ... I'm glad you like it. There are still some small bugs, but they don't affect the game most of the time. When I get my programming mojo back I might fix the bug that makes the game freeze up if it can't reach the high score server when you're connected to the internet. :)

mainstreetmark
Oct 10, 2005, 03:49 PM
- A transparent "FTP" finder window that's hooked to a server. Add or change a file, and it silently sends it up to the server. Periodically, it asks the server for new and modified files and downloads them. The current FTP window is read-only which is like non-alcoholic beer - almost useless.
- A dock that just does more.
-- It will NOT dock docs i meant to trash because the magnification moved the trashcan out of the way at the last second.
-- It will implement a window switcher. There should at least be away to visually choose which window you want to switch to that doesn't involve a long menu.
-- Let me have collapsable or expandable sections. I don't need to see Sound Studio and GarageBand during times when I'm coding, and vice versa
- Labels with configurable colors which don't render like a box of skittles.
- A creative way to "merge" the Save-As dialog box with a finder window. I constantly find I'm browsing around folders to save a file, then have to repeat the browse around back in the finder to locate the new file. The "Save As" dialog is just some additional view of your files, when it might be able to be merged with the one true source of files and folders: the finder.
- More control over networking, like a Refresh button. I click on that "Network" icon in the finder window and then just sort of stare at it for 10 minutes, wondering if it's gonna find anything... or if it's even looking
- A way to darken every window but the current application's (like when you're in app-exposé), and optionally a way to even somewhat darken the non-active window of the current app.
- A Launchbar/Quicksilver thing. I'm not 100% happy with either of these guys anymore.
- A Spotlight which doesn't take up so much damn ram. It's currently using 128M of REAL ram, almost 40MB more than the kernel itself. I only have a Gig. That's ridiculous.
- A Columns view that springs back left when it needs to. Click on a few folders, and then click on one that's still visible, say 2 levels up. You wind up with a large whitespace on the right where the folder view used to be, and you have to scroll back left to see what you're looking at.
- Smart folder icons. If I have a folder full of word docs, there should be an image of a word doc on the containing folder. If the folder contained word docs + Word, the folder should have a Word app icon on it. If the folder contained a dozen applications, it should have the Application icon on it.

Orlando Furioso
Oct 10, 2005, 03:58 PM
My, that article really said nothing didn't it?
Although stronger search arguments would be nice.

PlaceofDis, I like your ideas for incorporating tabs in finder windows (ohhh and iChat too).

I personally would like a "mode or project" setting that can be customized for whatever task one does on a daily basis. For example, I can select a customized "heavy photoshop" mode that would reset my energy preferences (to highest), wake up any sleeping scratch disks, launch photoshop, use specified color calibrated settings etc. Maybe this can be linked to recent projects, so the desktop would update itself to reveal folders or assets associated with specific projects (while hiding material from other projects). I realize Adobe Bridge already does similar project based management, but it would be cool to have it systemwide.

At the least, can this idea be translated to the dock? So selecting "web dev" mode would update the dock to show only those applications I set for that mode (and also, recent files associated with that mode).

Orlando Furioso
Oct 10, 2005, 04:11 PM
I'd like to actually be able to maximize a window. :rolleyes:

gasp! heathen!

actually, i kind of miss being able to do that. Wasn't there a keyboard combination (while clicking the "plus" button) that did this?

ham_man
Oct 10, 2005, 04:12 PM
-constant GUI
-tabbed Finder windows
-no more spotlight search as you type
-customizable "Open With" menus

macidiot
Oct 10, 2005, 04:14 PM
Customizable appearance. I want larger window buttons. Those little dots are far too small. They might be fine on a laptop, but on a larger screen, its easy to miss them.

And how about a 3d desktop?

nagromme
Oct 10, 2005, 04:18 PM
* Full natural-language boolean queries in Spotlight

* Full two-way FTP in Finder

* Did someone say consistent UI? :p

dops7107
Oct 10, 2005, 04:31 PM
1. The ability to empty files in the trash, previously resident on a removable drive (thus taking up some space whilst in the trash), without having to trash everything!

2. Better in-built support for CD burning e.g. multisession

solvs
Oct 10, 2005, 05:48 PM
Give me a consistent gui.
Include an option for all apps (not Finder) to close the app when you click close button.
The ability to empty files in the trash, previously resident on a removable drive (thus taking up some space whilst in the trash), without having to trash everything!
What they said.

zap2
Oct 10, 2005, 05:51 PM
a good MS paint like App for mac!

thats about it(faster but that has alot to do with hardware)

autrefois
Oct 10, 2005, 06:55 PM
• I think they should have tabbed Finder windows.

• Another good suggestion would be tabs, allowing users to navigate the Finder more easily.

• Third, if they had tabs in the Finder like Safari has, I think that'd be really cool.

:D

But besides this, I think being able to personalize the Finder more, such as setting different system fonts (as per OS 9) or allowing individual users to have different icons for folders (for example, just because my brother wants the hard drive to look like the Starship Enterprise doesn't mean that everyone wants this...) would both be nice.

sjk
Oct 10, 2005, 07:12 PM
2. Include an option for all apps (not Finder) to close the app when you click close button.Why not use command-Q?

3. Allow users to manually associate file types with applications - the ability to remove file associations...RCDefaultApp (http://www.rubicode.com/Software/RCDefaultApp/) might be what you're looking for.

gekko513
Oct 10, 2005, 08:22 PM
I would like for the toolbar buttons in the Finder windows to be activatable by hovering over them in the same way that folders and the sidebar locations are during a drag and drop session. This would make it possible to navigate out or up from a folder or change folder view when dragging.

Either that or the existence of a parent folder icon in every folder except /.

Stella
Oct 10, 2005, 09:46 PM
Why not use command-Q?

RCDefaultApp (http://www.rubicode.com/Software/RCDefaultApp/) might be what you're looking for.

Excellent, thanks for pointing that out.

cwtnospam
Oct 10, 2005, 10:29 PM
2. Include an option for all apps (not Finder) to close the app when you click close button.
This is one of those awful Windoze "features" that Apple should do their best to avoid. There's no reason for a capable OS to quit an app just because you've closed its last open window. What if you're about to open another file? Plus, as others have pointed out, if you want to quit the app, press command-q and the file(s) will be closed as the application quits.

gekko513
Oct 10, 2005, 10:33 PM
May I remind those of you who want the app to close when you hit the red x that this isn't the case on Windows either.

Many apps on Windows don't shut down when you hit the X, but rather goes on to live in the task bar in the bottom right corner. Some examples are OpenOffice.org, Netscape, Yahoo Messenger and most other instant messenger client.

On Mac OS X you have cmd-q which is consistent on all apps. On Windows there is no consistent way of shutting down an application.

bousozoku
Oct 10, 2005, 10:37 PM
On Mac OS X you have cmd-q which is consistent on all apps. On Windows there is no consistent way of shutting down an application.

Alt-F4 :)

Santaduck
Oct 10, 2005, 11:10 PM
Similar in concept to "Apple Fanatic's Gripe List":
http://www.macologist.org/viewtopic.php?t=1558

Airport base station limitations really bug me, as does lack of variety in errorless compression methods in iTunes, but maybe that's not strictly "OS X".

dornoforpyros
Oct 10, 2005, 11:15 PM
just an interface issue, I'd like to see less of the jelly-beans (scroll bars, forms etc) around OSX. It works ok in some places, but other times it's distracting.

nagromme
Oct 10, 2005, 11:43 PM
Dock folders should spring-load.

Epicurus
Oct 11, 2005, 12:08 AM
The 3D desktop ideas shown in the Looking Glass demo warrant further investigation. Just look at the "flipping" feature in Dashboard. I can imagine that being a nice feature on a couple of other small applications.

I'd like to be able to edit the meta-data associated with a file (that Spotlight uses to search for it) both for individual files and a batch command for multiple files (possibly as a feature in an updated version of Automater).

One feature I'd really like to see is one already built into Salling Clicker that automatically pauses iTunes when your bluetooth enabled (and linked) phone gets an incoming call. If that feature could be built into the system to make it more universal (perhaps making it a unique feature of iTunes enabled phones if nothing else). Oh, and also display the incoming number across the screen. If the number is in the Address Book, show the name and the photo too.

Faster and more capable iSync, with real support for Palm handhelds (drop the HotSync default altogether). My RAZR takes plenty of pictures, but iSync has yet to download them on its own. The RAZR also supports photo tags for entries in its address book, but it won't get them from my Address Book database. For all the nice things iSync manages to do, there is plenty of room for improvement.

Calculator (not the widget) still gives an error if you type a number and then backspace. It also faults when you give it a large number to play with.

I'd like to be able to change the color of the folder icon (the icon itself, not just the text background) like you used to be able to pre-OSX.

Spotlight has, on occation, been either slow or buggy or both. It could use a real kick.

I'd like to be able to do nightly backups straight from within the OS, with the ability to recognize what changes have been made since the last backup and only rewrite the necessary files. Delayed Mirroring, or somthing (hard drive sync). With Spotlight monitoring most of the hard drive anyway, keeping track of edited files should be easy enough.

There was once a lot of fuss about a portable Home folder that could sit on your iPod. I'd like to see that feature get a little more momentum. With an 80GB iPod coming soon, my 18GB of music will barely leave a dent. Besides, my PowerBook's 60GB hard drive isn't even full, and I've got a full copy of my music library on it. Certainly there should be the option of taking my User directory with me. The Hard Drive sync feature I mentioned would be useful here. I don't really need the feature, but if it were an option I might learn to need it. Imagine being able to plug in to any Mac you come accross, open your files, run your applications, listen to your music, etc. and then be able to unplug and move on (with all your changed saved perfectly). Since iPods do get lost every now and then (horrible to think about, though it may be) the FileVault feature and the new iPod lock would be standard features.

I'd like to be able to use Preview to stitch together multiple PDF pages to make one document like you can do in Acrobat. Adding one more page to a booklet shouldn't be that hard.

Apple demonstrated some really nice image editing features using its new Core Image but has yet to integrate them into Preview for the average user. The image manipulation features in iPhoto could use a similar boost.

A simple drawing program that does for creating images what Preview does for viewing images. Simple controls for creating shapes, inserting colors, etc. I'm pretty sure Core Image can handle this easily, but there should still be a simple App ready made within the OS. Layers would be nice, and vector graphics too.

Finder could use a speed boost, and a few minor UI tweaks. The Dock might be still more customizable.

The Slideshow feature in the Finder is nice, but it doesn't sort the photos in a predictable way. Even with just two photos it can take a few seconds to start up, so a bump in speed would be nice.

I'll think of more, but really I am very happy with Tiger despite the length of this list.

fayans
Oct 11, 2005, 12:23 AM
....- Smart folder icons. If I have a folder full of word docs, there should be an image of a word doc on the containing folder. If the folder contained word docs + Word, the folder should have a Word app icon on it. If the folder contained a dozen applications, it should have the Application icon on it.
I like the idea of 'smart folder" as the current ones being too generic and plain. Vista has it for sure :mad:

BenRoethig
Oct 11, 2005, 07:24 AM
1. Application quits when you close the last open window.

2. Return of System sounds.

3. Choice between aqua and brushed metal theme

4. Mouse Pointer Customization

5. Link to Applications folder in both Apple menu and dock.

6. Much better keyboard and mouse system preference with add ons for your particular keyboard and mouse model. Option to reverse mapping of windows and ALT keys when using windows keyboard.

7. Game controller system preference similar to the mouse/keyboard one above.

8. Separation between core image and the OpenGL layer that games and Application access.

9. Change things so Games and the like can lock the kernel.

10. Apple buys Solitaire XL and Brings Lavacat software in house to work on other light card games as well.

11. Updated display system preference with support for add-ons from ATI and Nvidia.

12. EAX up to 5.0/ X-Fi hardware support and Native drivers for professional and Consumer Sound Cards.

13. Clock Font and color options. Include one to make it cool like a digital clock.

14. More backgrounds.

What I'd like to see in iLife '06
1. Acquisition of Elgato's EyeTV (iTV) and the Centerstage Media center Application or internal development of Similar programs. iLife doesn't seem complete without them.

2. .Mac becomes part of iLife.

gekko513
Oct 11, 2005, 11:34 AM
Alt-F4 :)
Nope ... it doesn't shut down Yahoo Messenger, Quicktime or Openoffice.org. It just puts them in the taskbar.

wrldwzrd89
Oct 11, 2005, 12:37 PM
My, that article really said nothing didn't it?
Although stronger search arguments would be nice.

PlaceofDis, I like your ideas for incorporating tabs in finder windows (ohhh and iChat too).

I personally would like a "mode or project" setting that can be customized for whatever task one does on a daily basis. For example, I can select a customized "heavy photoshop" mode that would reset my energy preferences (to highest), wake up any sleeping scratch disks, launch photoshop, use specified color calibrated settings etc. Maybe this can be linked to recent projects, so the desktop would update itself to reveal folders or assets associated with specific projects (while hiding material from other projects). I realize Adobe Bridge already does similar project based management, but it would be cool to have it systemwide.

At the least, can this idea be translated to the dock? So selecting "web dev" mode would update the dock to show only those applications I set for that mode (and also, recent files associated with that mode).
Actually, your idea already exists, in a more limited form...it's called the Location Manager. Sadly, Apple killed it off for Mac OS X...but I'm sure it could be enhanced to do exactly what you want.

sjk
Oct 11, 2005, 04:41 PM
Excellent, thanks for pointing that out.Glad to help.

My abbreviated OS X wish list:

• Improved Keyboard Shortcut management, with the ability to easily/reliably assign shortcuts to scripts, contextual menus items, etc. The last paragraph in John Gruber's "Losers, Weepers (http://daringfireball.net/2003/12/losers_weepers)" article sums it up nicely.

• System Services editor, obviating the need for third-party utilities like Service Manager (http://blacktree.com/apps/servicemanager/index.html) or other hacks that possibly interfere with OS updates.

• GUI management for launchd (like Launchd Editor (http://www.codepoetry.net/products/launchdeditor)) and other system-level services, with the ability to roll back changes. And without requiring OS X Server.

• Integrated multiple/virtual-desktop manager, like VirtualDesktop (http://www.codetek.com/ctvd/), Desktop Manager (http://desktopmanager.berlios.de/), etc.

And my favorite, which could supersede other suggestions and isn't restricted to OS X:

• Create a new UI for managing data, similar to and extending the iTunes/iPhoto-like metaphor of playlists/albums. An alternative to the traditional, limited, 20th century office-like metaphor of file/folder management. The system manages (and hides) the tedious underlying filesystem storage details while the interface allows management of data objects and arbitrary relationships between them using virtual "containers" with virtual "views".

[Argh! I just lost a bunch of edits and the grand finale of this post to a "delete key stutter" glitch. Damn you, Bluetooth keyboard!]

The gist of it (better expressed in the lost version, sigh) was about how new, ubiquitous types of data object abstractions at a "user level" could be somewhat analogous to how assembly language (by virtue of reusable, sharable libraries and data) has been mostly superseded by higher level languages at a programmer level. Much like most of us don't care about bits/bytes anymore most of us may eventually not care about files/folders.

Anyway, I'm too grumpy to attempt reconstructing the more detailed (and eloquent :)) version (and vision) of that. :mad::(

jmufellow
Oct 27, 2005, 12:46 AM
a good MS paint like App for mac!

thats about it(faster but that has alot to do with hardware)
what's wrong with appleworks paint program?

ChrisBrightwell
Oct 27, 2005, 01:03 AM
I only want two things, really:
- Full FTP support built into Finder.
- Tabbed iChat windows.

Here are a few things I could think of, though:
- Type a URL into Spotlight, launch Safari (or Firefox) @ that URL
- Have ability to turn off Powerbook LCD w/out going through clamshell mode
- Fix the obnoxious "stuck key" bug in Bluetooth keyboards
- Cleaner uninstall mechanism, removing support files and such.
- Add Trash to Finder sidebar
- Fix the "Haze" bug in Dashboard's Weather widget
- Fix the "Free Space" bug when "Show item info" is enabled on Desktop

sjk
Oct 28, 2005, 06:59 PM
- Fix the obnoxious "stuck key" bug in Bluetooth keyboardsAhh, you must mean that (*&@#$ one that clobbered a bunch of text while composing my previous post in this thread. Glad to know it's a more general problem, not an isolated incident specific to my system.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Oct 29, 2005, 05:04 AM
I only want two things, really:
- Type a URL into Spotlight, launch Safari (or Firefox) @ that URL
Try Quicksilver:

ChrisBrightwell
Oct 29, 2005, 06:23 AM
Try Quicksilver.Thanks, but I stronly dislike bolting stuff like that onto my machine. I spend enough time on *other* machines that dependency on third-party add-ons is more often a hinderance than it is a help

Thanks again, but no thanks.

ToastyX
Oct 29, 2005, 07:59 AM
what's wrong with appleworks paint program?
AppleWorks doesn't come with Mac OS X.

sjk
Oct 29, 2005, 01:52 PM
Thanks, but I stronly dislike bolting stuff like that onto my machine. I spend enough time on *other* machines that dependency on third-party add-ons is more often a hinderance than it is a helpGot an example of a dependency on a third-party add-on that's hindering you? If you have a reason to be on systems configured that way, beyond your control, maybe you can be savvy enough to work with them as they are?

Opening an arbitrary URL from a Spotlight window is counterintuitive to what the UI is expected to do in that context.

ChrisBrightwell
Oct 30, 2005, 01:54 AM
Got an example of a dependency on a third-party add-on that's hindering you? If you have a reason to be on systems configured that way, beyond your control, maybe you can be savvy enough to work with them as they are?If I get a "typical" workflow, dependent on those bolt-on applications, moving to another workstation (as I often do) becomes frustrating and inefficient. I don't get paid to relearn things on the fly, or learn how to work-around the absence of this one slick app I have on my laptop.

Opening an arbitrary URL from a Spotlight window is counterintuitive to what the UI is expected to do in that context.Spotlight is used to find things. If I type a URL into the search window, I'm effectively telling Spotlight to find that file for me.

Seems pretty intuitive, but maybe that's my Windows background showing through.

sjk
Oct 30, 2005, 12:56 PM
You didn't give any example of which "bolt-on" applications get in your way. Nevermind; it's not worth pursuing that subtopic here.

When you type a URL or other text string (minus any special query tokens) in a Spotlight search field you're searching for that text in local files and metadata. There are plenty of ways to improve Spotlight but I disagree with you that adding arbitrary URL launching is one of them since it contradicts the search metaphor in that context. It would require a way to differentiate between regular Spotlight search hits vs. launching a URL, which third-party apps apps like LaunchBar, QuickSilver, etc. (that you've shunned ;)) are capable of doing.

Discussions and arguments about where to draw the creeping featurism (http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/C/creeping-featurism.html) line with OS X (and other OSes) can go on endlessly and futilely.

dubbz
Oct 30, 2005, 01:25 PM
Some things I'd like to see:

- Pulsing dock icon instead of, or in addition too, the jumping one. GNOME use for application in the task bar. It's similiar to how it's done in Windows XP, except that it's a smooth pulse/fade-in-out instead of the flashing.
It gets your attention, but is less annoying than having an icon jumping up and down.

- Virtual FS akin to how it's done in KDE. You can access anything from everywhere. It's just as easy to save files to some remote FTP or DAV share as it is to save to your local harddrive. For user-apps, there's no difference between your HDD, a remote FTP or whatever. You can do kind of the same in OS X/Finder, but it's not quite as elegant.

- Speaking of KDE... Konqueror, for those who doesn't know, is both the browser and the filemanager, and it actually works well, unlike some other attempts. In one tab you can have MacRumors.com, in another you have your home directory, in another you have a some remote FTP, in yet another you have a local Windows/Samba share. Very powerful.

- GNOME's Natulius ("Finder") removed the location bar and placed buttons there instead (called the 'path bar'). So instead of it it being displayed as '/home/dubbz/donkey-porn/' there is one button per directory. Ie. (home) (dubbz) (donkey-porn). Clicking on any one of them will bring you to that directory. It's quite handy. Vista have something quite similar.

wrldwzrd89
Oct 30, 2005, 07:19 PM
Some things I'd like to see:

- Pulsing dock icon instead of, or in addition too, the jumping one. GNOME use for application in the task bar. It's similiar to how it's done in Windows XP, except that it's a smooth pulse/fade-in-out instead of the flashing.
It gets your attention, but is less annoying than having an icon jumping up and down.

- Virtual FS akin to how it's done in KDE. You can access anything from everywhere. It's just as easy to save files to some remote FTP or DAV share as it is to save to your local harddrive. For user-apps, there's no difference between your HDD, a remote FTP or whatever. You can do kind of the same in OS X/Finder, but it's not quite as elegant.

- Speaking of KDE... Konqueror, for those who doesn't know, is both the browser and the filemanager, and it actually works well, unlike some other attempts. In one tab you can have MacRumors.com, in another you have your home directory, in another you have a some remote FTP, in yet another you have a local Windows/Samba share. Very powerful.

- GNOME's Natulius ("Finder") removed the location bar and placed buttons there instead (called the 'path bar'). So instead of it it being displayed as '/home/dubbz/donkey-porn/' there is one button per directory. Ie. (home) (dubbz) (donkey-porn). Clicking on any one of them will bring you to that directory. It's quite handy. Vista have something quite similar.
I like the pulsing dock icon idea...that could be implemented quite easily by extending the dock magnification feature already in Mac OS X.

Virtual FS could also be implemented easily, since Mac OS X has the necessary groundwork in place already due to its UNIX heritage. Apple just needs to make a nice GUI for it.

The unified browser/file-manager idea is interesting...but I don't think it makes a whole lot of sense in Mac OS X. It just doesn't seem like something Apple would want to do because it could confuse users.

Buttons-per-directory sounds nice in theory, but it could get quite unwieldy with nested subdirectories. I like the current approach quite well (command-click the title bar to see the path) - it stays out of the way until it's needed, and it can be accessed easily when it is needed.

neocell
Oct 30, 2005, 08:18 PM
One thing that I would like, as I posted in another thread here, http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=1849964#post1849964 is the ability for finder to recognize potential duplicate files as they're being added to your HD and prompt you as to what you'd like to do with them (delete old, change name, move to same folder, etc.)

iThinks
Oct 18, 2010, 04:29 PM
I'm a new Mac guy who has been astonished to learn that there is no full-screen button. Yeah, it makes sense for some things to be small... but man is it annoying for lots of others to have to drag the corner of everything...

I also miss Win7's ability to auto-size windows (probably not what they are called on a Mac, huh?) to half the size of the screen by dragging stuff to either edge or full-size by dragging to the top.