PDA

View Full Version : Which MIDI controller to buy?

vesne
Feb 6, 2013, 10:31 AM
I have and mac mini late 2012 with 16gigs of ram and 256 crucial ssd.
i have the focusrite scarlett 2i2 audio interface
mxl v87 condenser microphone
and now i want to buy a midi controller for my garageband 11..

The thing is: its so love-hate each product that im looking foward that i dont know which one is the best(for me and all)
i really want those pads(axiom 49 and mpk49) even knowing that the pads are hard to hit and kind sucks...
but im reading on boards that the axiom49 actually cant get to work the knobs and sliders cause garageband doesnt read it.

i really want something easy, just plug n play and with time i would configure it for my personal taste... cause i dont want to configure every piece individually... but i prefer to configure by my self a controller than it doesnt support the function(button)

what do you guys think about it..

- AKAI MPK 49
- AXIOM 49
- BEHRINGER UMX61(i know it doesnt comes with pads, but if it can control every button...)
- AXIOM PRO 49

thanksss

bwhli
Feb 6, 2013, 10:33 PM
I have and mac mini late 2012 with 16gigs of ram and 256 crucial ssd.
i have the focusrite scarlett 2i2 audio interface
mxl v87 condenser microphone
and now i want to buy a midi controller for my garageband 11..

The thing is: its so love-hate each product that im looking foward that i dont know which one is the best(for me and all)
i really want those pads(axiom 49 and mpk49) even knowing that the pads are hard to hit and kind sucks...
but im reading on boards that the axiom49 actually cant get to work the knobs and sliders cause garageband doesnt read it.

i really want something easy, just plug n play and with time i would configure it for my personal taste... cause i dont want to configure every piece individually... but i prefer to configure by my self a controller than it doesnt support the function(button)

what do you guys think about it..

- AKAI MPK 49
- AXIOM 49
- BEHRINGER UMX61(i know it doesnt comes with pads, but if it can control every button...)
- AXIOM PRO 49

thanksss

Keep in mind that you can always purchase pads separately. Take a look at the Novation 61 SL MKII (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BFDOC8/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002BFDOC8&linkCode=as2&tag=bristum-20) as well (also available in other sizes).

Out of the few you listed, I'd personally get the Akai 49 or 61. I like the action more than the Axiom PRO, which feels a little too plasticky for my taste. Maybe Akai MPK, and then purchase pads separately?

vesne
Feb 7, 2013, 06:49 AM
Keep in mind that you can always purchase pads separately. Take a look at the Novation 61 SL MKII (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BFDOC8/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002BFDOC8&linkCode=as2&tag=bristum-20) as well (also available in other sizes).

Out of the few you listed, I'd personally get the Akai 49 or 61. I like the action more than the Axiom PRO, which feels a little too plasticky for my taste. Maybe Akai MPK, and then purchase pads separately?

Thanks m8!
the problem is that the novation costs a thousand dollars where i live(brazil)
the akai is about 500usd... do you think is really hard to configure the akai on garageband 11? can i use, take control all of the buttons functions, like knobs, sliders?

thanks!:)

P.S th novation impulse 61 is good as the sl mk2?

fastlanephil
Feb 10, 2013, 12:42 PM
- AKAI MPK 49
- AXIOM 49
- AXIOM PRO 49

Have you looked at the new M-Audio Axiom Air series?

They and all current M-Audio controller keyboards include IGNITE. It's a little like Apple's GarageBand and DOES link to M-Audio keyboards. It's also available @ airmusictech.com as a free download and works with most controllers.

Ignite is still in beta(a little buggy-save often) and can't import VST instruments but does have it's own. The best thing about IGNITE is it's ability to export midi. files. You're not locked into one developer's ecosystem.

Here's a pop tune I wrote just using IGNITE without loops. I exported a WAV file and added some space at the beginning, increased amplitude and gave it a fade out in an audio editor.

FREE (https://www.box.com/s/zms26i6e15gvh553y7dh)