Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
Bit of advice needed please. I'm in need of a system for creating web galleries that's, to put it bluntly, foolproof. What I'm really after is something that conforms to the following criteria:

• Free.
• Will run on a Linux server (can use SQL/PHP etc).
• Will allow me to upload the images to the correct directory via FTP, and run a script to create the gallery. (I could just manage to get my computer illiterate Dad to master this, as I've spent the past two years getting him to learn basic FTP.)
• It doesn't have to resize the images on the server, for sake of uploading speed that will be done on the local computer before uploading.
• Will conform to a pre-defined template once the images are uploaded and the script is run (basically foolproof).

If anyone could direct me to anything which sounds like it's suitable, it would be appreciated. Google searches have not proved fruitful, it's one of those things where finding a useful search string is incredibly difficult.

Ta.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
google for Gallery or Coppermine (sorry, no time to get the links right now). Those are pretty popular packages and will fit your criteria fairly well. Haven't used either myself,but have looked at them in the past and they seemed pretty full-featured.

L

littlejim

How about JetPhoto

I've tried JetPhoto and it's a dream!

It's has a really nice client on the Mac that integrates with iPhoto and, once set up, gives one click uploading via FTP. The server is a simple PHP script.

It offers some very nice goodies like a flash gallery, a choice of themes and GPS technology integration.

Oh ... and it's free.

http://www.jetphotosoft.com/web/

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
littlejim said:
I've tried JetPhoto and it's a dream!

It's has a really nice client on the Mac that integrates with iPhoto and, once set up, gives one click uploading via FTP. The server is a simple PHP script.

It offers some very nice goodies like a flash gallery, a choice of themes and GPS technology integration.

Oh ... and it's free.

http://www.jetphotosoft.com/web/

This looks nothing short of ridiculously brilliant, and seems to be exactly what I'm after. Can't try it until this evening, but I think you've just solved my problem.

Many thanks. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.