PDA

View Full Version : iPod, The Gaming Console

MacBytes
Oct 10, 2005, 04:42 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: iPod, The Gaming Console (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051010174230)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

stoid
Oct 10, 2005, 04:58 PM
Apple won't do gaming consoles, or gaming handhelds. Period.

Apple is a company of high hardware margins. The gaming industry is about taking a loss on hardware and making it up on high margin gaming software. The two won't mix. And what's this about Apple being certain to release a video iPod? Has any credible source stated this in anything besides a rumor atmosphere?

greatdevourer
Oct 10, 2005, 05:09 PM
Apple won't do gaming consoles, or gaming handhelds. Period.

Apple is a company of high hardware margins. The gaming industry is about taking a loss on hardware and making it up on high margin gaming software. The two won't mix. And what's this about Apple being certain to release a video iPod? Has any credible source stated this in anything besides a rumor atmosphere? Not so. Nintendo have never sold [/b]anything[/b] at a loss. I can see Apple doing the same if they did enter. iPlay, anyone?

nagromme
Oct 10, 2005, 05:13 PM
Strange theory.

Besides, the iPod already has what most Windows users demand in gaming. Solitaire!

JasonElise1983
Oct 10, 2005, 06:51 PM
hey, this could be a neat feature. What if the iPod video could run flash based games? Maybe even flash based games that you could download off the internet, for free or $99 cents. I'm not saying crazy fast, Crazy graphics games, i mean flash games. I think there would be a market for that, hell i would buy the iPod and the games. Solitaire, and brick get really old on my ipod right now.

kgarner
Oct 10, 2005, 06:55 PM
hey, this could be a neat feature. What if the iPod video could run flash based games? Maybe even flash based games that you could download off the internet, for free or $99 cents. I'm not saying crazy fast, Crazy graphics games, i mean flash games. I think there would be a market for that, hell i would buy the iPod and the games. Solitaire, and brick get really old on my ipod right now.
I'm not paying for them on the internet now, why would I pay for them to be on my iPod. While i think that it could be an interesting feature, I don't really see it as a "market." More of a bonus for those that care. Like the solitaire that's on there right now.

galleyhannon
Oct 10, 2005, 07:09 PM
Isn't it ironic how business and financial magazines always have writers with no business sense whatsoever.

The iPod and DS are successful because they do one thing and do it well. Just think of some recent examples of handhelds that have more than one function and how successful they have been. N-Gage, check. PSP, check. Motorola ROKR, double check. Beat out their one function rivals haven't they?

A music player that also does video games will surely be a confused piece of hardware. It will have all sorts of problems as it tries to resolve the question of its identity. "Am I a music player ... or am I a video game player?" will be repeated over and over again in its head. It will ultimately choose one gender or another, but it will always question if it was the right choice. This will hinder it from every reaching its full potential until the day it dies.

Orlando Furioso
Oct 10, 2005, 08:05 PM
i agree with most of your posts... where the hell did they come up with this fantasy?

Whyren
Oct 10, 2005, 08:53 PM
I don't know about a console in itself...perhaps a controller though...for the Revolution's motion sensor games...hmm...

macten
Oct 10, 2005, 10:40 PM
Strange theory.

Besides, the iPod already has what most Windows users demand in gaming. Solitaire!

Have you even tried playing Solitaire on an iPod? On the original it was impossible to tell the suits apart since everything was black. At least you had a 50-50 chance of guessing the suits when the color came out.

Now I recently purchased a nano for my wife and tried playing on that. In 2 minutes I had the biggest headache ever while trying to look at those tiny cards. :(

nagromme
Oct 10, 2005, 11:40 PM
The ONLY Solitaire I've ever played has been on my iPod :D "Because it's there."

My 60 would certainly be an easier screen to work with than the nano.

macjunkie82
Oct 11, 2005, 10:06 AM
This article just further confirms my theory that the all these so called business analysts have no idea how Apple operates, or rather, how Steve Jobs does. And since when is wild rumor a near-certainty? Seems to me like someone had a deadline and thought, "I know, I'll write some crazy article about Apple! Everybody likes those!" :rolleyes:

Bottom line: Video iPod, maybe... Apple gaming console? It's called the Apple Pippen, and we all know how well that worked. :D