PDA

View Full Version : Website raising money to destroy an iPod

MacBytes
Oct 10, 2005, 04:45 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Website raising money to destroy an iPod (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051010174553)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Applespider
Oct 10, 2005, 04:49 PM
Eeesh... some people really need to get their priorities straight in life.

I really hope that when they purchase their iPod and take it out to smash, that they hurl into the camera on tape only for it to bounce and keep playing...

croshtique
Oct 10, 2005, 04:51 PM
Hm, I like the way that guy also is soliciting money to buy a (as yet unreleased) PS3 to "smash" as well :rolleyes:

stoid
Oct 10, 2005, 05:01 PM
Yes, all you who hate the iPod, go out and donate money to buy one.

As Bill Engvall would say, "Here's your sign."

tech4all
Oct 10, 2005, 05:06 PM
Wow, what a sad little life these people have. Nothing better to do than raise money, buy an iPod, then destroy it. If they hate it so much, then why are they giving Apple money in the first place? Stupid. :rolleyes:

Maybe by then there will be new iPods out that are really durable. And as they try to destroy it the iPod never really breaks and they just give up, are out a couple $100 and look like idiots :D

dlfitch
Oct 10, 2005, 05:07 PM
That's lame, I pulled that one off almost a year ago... and somehow I doubt their movie will be portrayed in the beauty of 16mm film.

http://homepages.nyu.edu/~jaw278/ipodchristmas.html

nagromme
Oct 10, 2005, 05:12 PM
Great scam! Get people to buy you an iPod, try to destroy it, and then keep it for yourself when it (of course) still works!

mainstreetmark
Oct 10, 2005, 05:17 PM
How the hell does this guy get the word out about these silly little sites? I guess it doesn't hurt to have MacBytes link him.

solvs
Oct 10, 2005, 05:37 PM
I don't get it either. Just buy one off of eBay that's broken if you must. And to ask money to do this? Spend you're money on something else, like helping victims of one of the recent natural disasters. :rolleyes:

hulugu
Oct 10, 2005, 05:42 PM
Great scam! Get people to buy you an iPod, try to destroy it, and then keep it for yourself when it (of course) still works!

Yep, have a toddler hit it with a rubber hammer while wrapped in bubble-wrap. See, I tried, but the iPod is indestructible. Oh well. Proceeds to fill it with music.

Deepdale
Oct 10, 2005, 05:53 PM
I'm not surprised that $192 has already been raised via Paypal (and their goal will most likely be met), but all it does is highlight the absurdity of it. Sounds like the type of publicity seeking stunt that some sophomoric radio station jerks occasionally get behind.

hyperpasta
Oct 10, 2005, 05:55 PM
Guys, he's doing this AT AN APPLE STORE IMMEDIETLY AFTER HE BUYS IT. If it is indeed not a scam, take it as a prank and watch the insuing chaos. :D

skwoytek
Oct 10, 2005, 06:03 PM
Adding to the Christmas iPod sales: +1 to the quarter's numbers.

I don't agree with the waste of money or an iPod. Funny thing is most of the positive replies on his site like the iPod and just want to see the reaction.

I could think of hundreds of better places to donate $$$ than to smashmyipod.

By the way, why is it "myipod?" Shouldn't it be smashanipod - see he does want it for himself afterall. <- scam

JeDiBoYTJ
Oct 10, 2005, 06:04 PM
sounds like he wants to buy it in the store, open it, then break it inside the store, and leave....

...why you would want to do this, who knows. And why would people donate money to some guy do do this? What are they, stupid people who love giving money away?

>.> ..... <.< .... >.<

*donates $5*

(j/k)

applemacstud
Oct 10, 2005, 06:14 PM
what a waste of time a money, stupid idiot.

mduser63
Oct 10, 2005, 06:17 PM
I'm going to disagree with the majority here and say that I think it's a pretty funny idea. I'm not going to donate any money, but it should be a pretty funny video if he pulls it off.

solvs
Oct 10, 2005, 06:34 PM
I'm going to disagree with the majority here and say that I think it's a pretty funny idea. I'm not going to donate any money, but it should be a pretty funny video if he pulls it off.
Funny? Yes. Stupid? Yes. Donate money? No.

Photorun
Oct 10, 2005, 06:39 PM
I hope the little punk*** twerp gets detained by maul/store security and then fined for littering and/or any other charges that are applicable. Just because he can buy it and destroy it at the store, it's still private property and subject to whatever they can dish out on him. And I hope someone tips off the mall/store to it so there's guards right there to cart his sorry little ass off. To the above poster who thinks it's "funny," well having his arse fined and detained for being a little pr***, now THAT would be funny!

dornoforpyros
Oct 10, 2005, 06:43 PM
meh, atleast that guy who was gonna blow up his g4 was doing it to buy a dual g5. This one just seems wasteful...then again, smashing stuff is pretty damned fun. Plus this makes a interesting point about consumerism.

Deepdale
Oct 10, 2005, 06:43 PM
At the smashmyipod.com site, the planners of the event have listed the name, alternative e-mail address and phone number of one person who has been flaming them for their idea. That is the type of provocative act that can escalate until everything spirals out of control.

nagromme
Oct 10, 2005, 08:18 PM
"Don't you hate the iPod? Don't you hate Apple? Please send money to me so I can give it to Apple!"

OK... go for it.

The only money donated is probably his own to try to get the ball rolling.

BOOMBA
Oct 10, 2005, 08:21 PM
hopefully he'll scratch the floor of the Apple store in the process, and have to pay to refinish it.
or is that stuff some lame Ikea Pergo crap?
:)

angelwatt
Oct 10, 2005, 09:18 PM
I see this as more of a way to more popularize the iPod. Even people who like their iPod will likely enjoy such a movie of one being destroyed ... if he is good with shooting video, which has yet to be seen. I mean face it, we like seeing things go smash. Just glad it's not my money going toward this venture. Me I'd like to see and iPod take microwave trip of destruction, might not be as cool as a CD in the microwave though, hehe.

The little mention in the article about raising money for a PS3 ($400) and Revolution ($350), as far as I've seen prices haven't been decided for those consoles yet. Nintendo will not be starting at $350, I'm betting more like $200 becaus that's more like them. The PS3 price is more believable though. These guys are just trying to get money. They'll probably make the movie in CGI and neevr even hurt their iPod when they get it.

dornoforpyros
Oct 10, 2005, 10:22 PM
Me I'd like to see and iPod take microwave trip of destruction, might not be as cool as a CD in the microwave though, hehe.

hmm now I think we've all seen 1 CD in the microwave...I wonder what a 50-100 stack would look like?

Alright everyone! I'm going to raise $100 to buy a stack of CD's and a new microwave, then I'm going to combined the 2 into a desctuctive video. Horray!

Dahl
Oct 10, 2005, 11:24 PM
Lame.

But I'm sure Apple would sell him 1000's no matter what he plans to do.

iMeowbot
Oct 10, 2005, 11:28 PM
The over-the-top righteous indignation over such a trifle is exactly why stunts like this one are so entertaining :D

nagromme
Oct 10, 2005, 11:46 PM
It's pretty trivial--but also a waste. Sending an iPod--or PS3 or anything--and all its materials straight to a landfill for no purpose does bother me.

If it was making some kind of sensible statement that would be one thing. We'll see what the video turns out to be. But with the guy's mentality of posting other people's private contact info on the Web to be harassed, I'm skeptical. In that light, this seems to be just a child acting childish for attention. I guess we all have our needs :)

p0intblank
Oct 11, 2005, 12:05 AM
What a bunch of losers. I hope they get banned from the Yorkdale Apple Store. They deserve it. And they're actually raising money for this? Way to prioritise... seriously, there are much better things this money can go towards, like the hurricane and earthquake disasters. I may seem uptight, but this is just idiotic what they are doing.

SiliconAddict
Oct 11, 2005, 07:23 AM
Only on Macrumors would this be news....

protogenes
Oct 11, 2005, 07:40 AM
I'm shocked at a time of a massive asian earthquake, these bozos are raising money for this.

Shame on them and their supporters.

protogenes
Oct 11, 2005, 10:11 AM
Update

When I asked through email why they didn't raise money for the asian earthquake relief, I received this response:

"Because I don't care".

Wai_TungLeung
Oct 11, 2005, 11:10 AM
There's some sort of very cruel absurdity in the idea of people who don't care about charitable causes, yet care enough to donate money towards having an iPod destroyed...

A thought did come to me, this could very well be scam, cus he might already have an iPod that isn't functioning and is raising money to buy himself a new one and smash the old one. Of course why he would do that instead of sending in for a replacement I'm not sure, but it's a possiblitiy.

mrsebastian
Oct 11, 2005, 11:18 AM
stupidity at it's finest. though i don't agree with what this [bleep] is doing, but it's a free internet. what bothers me is the article... "While we are all for freedom of expression and “art”, the site’s use of a backwards Nazi symbol in their logo is a little off-putting, even if it technically means “peace” when viewed backwards, as the site claims."

errr, what the [bleep]??! come on, it's not a swastika, it wasn't intended as one, and it's no where else on the site.

solvs
Oct 11, 2005, 04:11 PM
Only on Macrumors would this be news....
Ah, you're right:

Category: News and Press Releases
I guess the Humor tag didn't exactly fit the situation.

OmegaNine
Oct 11, 2005, 06:27 PM
hey, I saw their site and looked it up on google. this forum was one of the first results, so I decided to read the thread.

I just want to say, that even if it doesn't serve a purpose it's still entertainment. If you want to complain about somebody, complain about the singers who get paid millions to stand on a stage, lipsinking to a song they didn't even write. I would bet everything that each and every one of you spend more money on entertainment than on charitable causes. Don't even deny it, it'd be a blatant lie.

macEfan
Oct 11, 2005, 06:47 PM
what an iddiot!

I found the site pretty stupid. First of all, he is asking for a $400 donation. The ipod he wanted to buy only costs $299. That is not right.

I cant believe he only needs $62 more $$$. Who are the iddiots making these dontations. LAME LAME LAME.

I hope when he breaks "his" ipod pieces of it hit him in the face. LOL It would also be funny if one of the shopers in the apple store is an under-cover security guard. :)

iDM
Oct 11, 2005, 06:53 PM
I was going to attempt to write a smart and mature email to this guy that would include many reasons why he is such a tool, but i'm a little concerned that some PC fanboy is going to somehow get my IP address or whatever else he could do and ruin me or my credit, etc. It seems like one of the "Hate Mail" had all of his other email accounts and home phone number posted somehow, i sincerely doubt he provided this information himself, so i am concerned.

capsLOCK
Oct 11, 2005, 07:08 PM
Thats hillarious. Not only is that site working, but they posted some flamers' email.

solvs
Oct 11, 2005, 10:33 PM
I just want to say, that even if it doesn't serve a purpose it's still entertainment.
And he can do whatever he wants. Be it an xBox, PS2, iPod, whatever. But he's asking for donations for it. That seems kinda lame to me.

Deepdale
Oct 11, 2005, 10:45 PM
And he can do whatever he wants. Be it an xBox, PS2, iPod, whatever. But he's asking for donations for it. That seems kinda lame to me.

Destroying it once it is paid for is his choice, but doing so inside an Apple store while being filmed changes the entire dynamic. He will likely get far more mileage and publicity from a possible arrest for his actions.

He will also know what real trouble is should anyone nearby get hit with a piece of shattered material. If the iPod becomes an iProjectile, a real injury is possible and that strips any amusement from this infantile stunt.

BOOMBA
Oct 12, 2005, 03:01 PM
Aren;t these guys worreid about being sued by Gallagher?

or even Gallagher 2?

OmegaNine
Oct 28, 2005, 07:41 PM
lol! they did it and posted the video!

iPod Being Smashed (http://www.planetboredom.net/smi_videos.php)

Dahl
Oct 29, 2005, 12:04 AM
5 min. into the video and the geek still hasn't done anything...

Tamer Brad
Oct 29, 2005, 12:32 AM
That sucked.

solvs
Oct 30, 2005, 12:25 AM
Well... that was pointless.

GoCubsGo
Oct 30, 2005, 12:45 AM
How stupid is this guy? I like people who hate the things they don't have. If someone bought him one as a gift then I am sure he'd be willing to jump on the ipod train.

Tamer Brad
Oct 30, 2005, 12:59 AM
To top it off, that guy looked exactly how I thought he'd look.