PDA

View Full Version : Apple Seeds Build 12D65 of OS X Beta 10.8.3 to Developers

MacRumors
Feb 6, 2013, 03:23 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/06/apple-seeds-build-12d65-of-os-x-beta-10-8-3-to-developers/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/02/12d61.jpgApple today seeded build 12D65 of OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.3 to developers, marking the ninth beta iteration of the newest version of Mountain Lion. 10.8.3 was first seeded to developers in November 2012.

Build 12D65 comes exactly one week after build 12D61 (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/30/apple-seeds-build-12d61-of-os-x-beta-10-8-3-to-developers/). As with build 12D61, build 12D65 continues to ask developers to focus on AirPlay, AirPort, Game Center, Graphics Drivers, and Safari.

Registered developers can download the update on Apple's Developer Page (https://developer.apple.com/).

Update: According to 9to5Mac (http://9to5mac.com/2013/02/06/apple-seeds-os-x-10-8-3-build-12d65-to-developers/), the new build fixes the file bug (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/04/odd-mountain-lion-crashing-bug-brings-down-nearly-any-app/) that recently made headlines.

This post originally referred to Build 12D65 as the tenth developer seed of OS X 10.8.3 when it was actually the ninth seed.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Build 12D65 of OS X Beta 10.8.3 to Developers (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/06/apple-seeds-build-12d65-of-os-x-beta-10-8-3-to-developers/)

Sky Blue
Feb 6, 2013, 03:23 PM
The never ending beta.

anzio
Feb 6, 2013, 03:24 PM
This will be very well tested.

thatsfinebut
Feb 6, 2013, 03:26 PM
I hope that after they release 10.8.3, they release an update to Bootcamp so I can install Windows 8 (with full support).

gmanist1000
Feb 6, 2013, 03:27 PM
The never ending beta.

Agreed!! How long has this been in beta?

Risco
Feb 6, 2013, 03:30 PM
Ok I will go first...

Have the fixed the slow shutdown?

GIZBUG
Feb 6, 2013, 03:31 PM
Ok I will go first...

Have the fixed the slow shutdown?

no

PBP
Feb 6, 2013, 03:34 PM
Tested the 'File:' bug, it seems like they solved it

cmChimera
Feb 6, 2013, 03:34 PM
"File bug" fixed?

PBP
Feb 6, 2013, 03:35 PM
"File bug" fixed?

Yes, tested it in several programs

milo
Feb 6, 2013, 03:35 PM
"File bug" fixed?

Yes.

daneoni
Feb 6, 2013, 03:36 PM
In b4 Safari is snappier joke.

cmChimera
Feb 6, 2013, 03:37 PM
Yes, tested it in several programs

Yes.

Excellent.

Feb 6, 2013, 03:38 PM
The never ending beta.

Probably the longest wait ever for a 10.x.x version.

Peace
Feb 6, 2013, 03:40 PM
Well that bug was squashed quickly hehe

zin
Feb 6, 2013, 03:42 PM
I've managed to do some undercover work and have the change log. You can view it below:

Fixes some bugs nobody suffers from
Doesn't add anything new
Claims to improve stability and performance

daneoni
Feb 6, 2013, 03:45 PM
I've managed to do some undercover work and have the change log. You can view it below:

- If nobody suffered from it then it wouldn't have been discovered in the first place.
- Point updates rarely add

thatsfinebut
Feb 6, 2013, 03:46 PM
The only bug I care about is one that happens when I use Transmit and Textwrangler. If I open a file off an FTP server, edit it and save it, I have to quit Textwrangler before opening another file from Transmit. If I forget to quite Textwrangler, Transmit freezes. This is a bug that started happening when 10.8.2 was released, and both Panic and Barebones have said it's up to Apple to fix it. It's made work much less efficient for me because if I want to edit a CSS file and multiple HTML files, I have to do work on one, save and close it, open the other, save and close it, and go back and forth. It's a horrible waste of time.

Northgrove
Feb 6, 2013, 03:54 PM
The File: bug was apparently caused by one and the same piece of code, and I read about someone who disassembled the code who said that it should have been a simple fix too. In other words -- a pretty small bug that caused a crapload of fallout because the code was activated in so many places. So if some place has it solved, all of them should be.

simonb76
Feb 6, 2013, 03:55 PM
Please Apple fix that lag issue in Logic Pro and FCPX which has been around since the Lion days..... Really does stop people from being creative when they're waiting 30 seconds for the mouse to respond to a click.

sshhoott
Feb 6, 2013, 04:16 PM
Looks like I'm gonna be clean installing OS X 10.8.3 when it comes out! :D

unobtainium
Feb 6, 2013, 04:32 PM
Anyone know if it fixes the common problem where Messages displays iMessages in the wrong order?

Peace
Feb 6, 2013, 04:34 PM
So since the dirty word bug has been fixed but most people don't have 10.8.3 if I type it in here are peoples browser going to crash ?

Let's see.

File:///

Sky Blue
Feb 6, 2013, 04:35 PM
So since the dirty word bug has been fixed but most people don't have 10.8.3 if I type it in here are peoples browser going to crash ?

Let's see.

File:///

umm, it doesn't work that way.

Peace
Feb 6, 2013, 04:38 PM
umm, it doesn't work that way.

I know that.

Silly blue person. I was testing Safari on MY computer.

:p

you should be thankful I can't send you an iMessage though.

;)

r0d3nt
Feb 6, 2013, 04:41 PM
I'm hoping that the graphics drivers have been updated to work better with Unreal Engine based games [Dungeon Defenders, I'm looking at you]. If that's one thing I didn't count on being a problem when updating from Lion was that Mountain Lion was going to be having so many issues with graphics intensive games.

Feb 6, 2013, 04:47 PM
I have the feeling that this long-awaited 10.8.3 is gonna cause MORE problems than what it purports to fix...

Peace
Feb 6, 2013, 04:48 PM
I have the feeling that this long-awaited 10.8.3 is gonna cause MORE problems than what it purports to fix...

I can tell you it's going to be a huge download.

cmChimera
Feb 6, 2013, 04:49 PM
I know that.

Silly blue person. I was testing Safari on MY computer.

:p

you should be thankful I can't send you an iMessage though.

;)
I tried to send it in an iMessage to someone and it did nothing.

Feb 6, 2013, 04:49 PM
I can tell you it's going to be a huge download.

My prediction is next Tuesday for the whole enchilada.

Peace
Feb 6, 2013, 04:53 PM
I tried to send it in an iMessage to someone and it did nothing.

Let me get this straight.

you used 10.8.3 build 12D65 to send an iMessage to another computer running 10.8 and above ( excluding the latest build ) and it did nothing ?

I mean sent to another "computer" not an IOS device.

Sky Blue
Feb 6, 2013, 05:14 PM
I was testing Safari on MY computer.

if I type it in here are peoples browser going to crash ?

Peace
Feb 6, 2013, 05:17 PM

humor..

Have a drink

:)

DJJAZZYJET
Feb 6, 2013, 05:25 PM
this must be the last beta before release

mattburley7
Feb 6, 2013, 05:36 PM
isnt this the most betas for any OS X release? :rolleyes:

im not counting on it getting released to the public this week or even next week for that matter.. wouldnt be surprised to see a beta 11

cmChimera
Feb 6, 2013, 05:37 PM
Let me get this straight.

you used 10.8.3 build 12D65 to send an iMessage to another computer running 10.8 and above ( excluding the latest build ) and it did nothing ?

I mean sent to another "computer" not an IOS device.

Close. I used a 10.8.2 machine to send the file bug to a 10.8.2 machine. It didn't crash messages on either of our machines. Not sure why.

uptownnyc
Feb 6, 2013, 05:39 PM
I hope that after they release 10.8.3, they release an update to Bootcamp so I can install Windows 8 (with full support).

Any idea if that's planned?

Mr. Retrofire
Feb 6, 2013, 05:54 PM
Any idea if that's planned?
Boot Camp is in the list.

Yamcha
Feb 6, 2013, 05:55 PM
Wonder If this will be the last 10.8 update till OSX 10.9 is released?

Sankersizzle
Feb 6, 2013, 05:55 PM
I wonder if they'll fix the huge Safari memory leak, or maybe allow it to display animated gif without it going nucking futs all over the screen.

MacAddict2000
Feb 6, 2013, 06:06 PM
Shutdown times appeared faster a few builds back, but seem slow once again. Although, they don't appear to be as slow as 10.8.2.

I'm seeing a few new bugs I haven't seen in previous builds.
I had duplicate cursers on my screen a moment ago.
Every time I log out, the desktop picture freezes in the middle of fading to the fabric background of the Login Window. Very jarring.

Peace
Feb 6, 2013, 06:09 PM
Shutdown times appeared faster a few builds back, but seem slow once again. Although, they don't appear to be as slow as 10.8.2.

I'm seeing a few new bugs I haven't seen in previous builds.
I had duplicate cursers on my screen a moment ago.
Every time I log out, the desktop picture freezes in the middle of fading to the fabric background of the Login Window. Very jarring.

File a bug report.

a1exey1azar
Feb 6, 2013, 07:28 PM
My prediction is next Tuesday for the whole enchilada.

Hope you are right. My prediction February 19, 2013 at 10am PST

karsten
Feb 6, 2013, 09:11 PM
any word if there are updated graphics drivers to fix the pixelmator crash?

noiseordinance
Feb 6, 2013, 09:21 PM
I wonder if they'll fix the huge Safari memory leak, or maybe allow it to display animated gif without it going nucking futs all over the screen.

I hate to say it, but "this". Safari is a damn wreck. On the 4 rMBPs I've used, all four have the gif anomalie above, as well as wrecked CSS rendering on many websites, and going back a page yields a white screen. It's so bad that I use the slower, clunkier Chrome as my browser of choice. The thing is, internet browsing comprises the vast majority of people's computer usage, so why these problems still exist is beyond me. I have a hard time caring about slow boot times when I currently find web browsing to be more fun on my phone than on this $2k machine.

WilliamG
Feb 6, 2013, 09:40 PM
I hate to say it, but "this". Safari is a damn wreck. On the 4 rMBPs I've used, all four have the gif anomalie above, as well as wrecked CSS rendering on many websites, and going back a page yields a white screen. It's so bad that I use the slower, clunkier Chrome as my browser of choice. The thing is, internet browsing comprises the vast majority of people's computer usage, so why these problems still exist is beyond me. I have a hard time caring about slow boot times when I currently find web browsing to be more fun on my phone than on this $2k machine.

I wonder why some people have so many issues with Safari? I haven't had any issues for a good while now. Enjoying it tremendously on my new 2012 iMac as well. I also never shut my computer down, so I'd notice if something were amiss on my end.

noiseordinance
Feb 6, 2013, 09:43 PM
I wonder why some people have so many issues with Safari? I haven't had any issues for a good while now. Enjoying it tremendously on my new 2012 iMac as well. I also never shut my computer down, so I'd notice if something were amiss on my end.

From what I understand, the faulty CSS rendering is specific to the retina Macs (not sure if on the 13", but definitely on the 15"). Browser resets fix the problem for about 30-60 minutes. I also notice it doesn't seem to happen upon first loading, but secondary loading gets mangled, making me think it's corrupt browser cache or something. I'm no browser pro though. I just know it's extremely painful, and obvious even on a clean install with no third-party apps. :/

WilliamG
Feb 6, 2013, 10:08 PM
From what I understand, the faulty CSS rendering is specific to the retina Macs (not sure if on the 13", but definitely on the 15"). Browser resets fix the problem for about 30-60 minutes. I also notice it doesn't seem to happen upon first loading, but secondary loading gets mangled, making me think it's corrupt browser cache or something. I'm no browser pro though. I just know it's extremely painful, and obvious even on a clean install with no third-party apps. :/

Ahh I see. Well I can't speak for the Retina MBPs, so if there's an issue there, I hope it gets fixed!

sshhoott
Feb 6, 2013, 11:13 PM
If you want to file a bug report:

https://bugreport.apple.com/

ctakah
Feb 7, 2013, 12:13 AM
that there will be 1 more?

walfrieda
Feb 7, 2013, 12:28 AM
does it finally fix the "spotlight keeps indexing" bug and the high power consumption (low battery life)???

vajon
Feb 7, 2013, 02:21 AM
The never ending beta.

It will come out after OS X 10.9

SlCKB0Y
Feb 7, 2013, 02:56 AM
The only bug I care about is one that happens when I use Transmit and Textwrangler. If I open a file off an FTP server, edit it and save it, I have to quit Textwrangler before opening another file from Transmit. If I forget to quite Textwrangler, Transmit freezes. This is a bug that started happening when 10.8.2 was released.

Textwrangler has a builtin in FTP and SFTP functions, try using that. It has streamlined my work considerably.

----------

10.8.3 beta already has support for Windows 8 in Bootcamp... doesn't it?

----------

Based on what? A long beta period (with lots of iterations) like this is usually a good thing.

----------

clunkier Chrome as my browser of choice.

Clunkier? I guess that's why Safari, Firefox and IE have all completely ripped off the uncluttered and simplified Chrome UI then? :rolleyes:

WM.
Feb 7, 2013, 04:11 AM
The only bug I care about is one that happens when I use Transmit and Textwrangler. If I open a file off an FTP server, edit it and save it, I have to quit Textwrangler before opening another file from Transmit. If I forget to quite Textwrangler, Transmit freezes. This is a bug that started happening when 10.8.2 was released, and both Panic and Barebones have said it's up to Apple to fix it. It's made work much less efficient for me because if I want to edit a CSS file and multiple HTML files, I have to do work on one, save and close it, open the other, save and close it, and go back and forth. It's a horrible waste of time.
I have the same problem with Transmit + SubEthaEdit. I suspected it was an OS bug, but hadn't gotten around to confirming with the developers. Glad you did.

So, add me to the list of people hoping this is fixed in 10.8.3!

Futurix
Feb 7, 2013, 05:07 AM
Hopefully this is the final beta - surely they will want to release this ASAP because of the File:// bug? :mad:

JGRE
Feb 7, 2013, 06:47 AM

If they take as much time for 10.8.4. as they did for 10.8.3, this is a certainty :D

noiseordinance
Feb 7, 2013, 07:57 AM
If you want to file a bug report:

https://bugreport.apple.com/

I've called Apple numerous times, filed reports, and have participated in many threads regarding these issues on the Apple support website. They've "been aware of these issues" since September. They obviously have more important agendas.

Pentad
Feb 7, 2013, 07:59 AM

Have you tried FileZilla instead of Transmit? I use TextWrangler and FileZilla all the time and they play well together.

-P

Krazy Bill
Feb 7, 2013, 08:13 AM
Wonder If this will be the last 10.8 update till OSX 10.9 is released?That's my guess. They want to get 10.8 as stable as they can before dedicating all their resources to 10.9.0.

Might see a minor 10.8.4 release after 10.9 is out though.

milo
Feb 7, 2013, 09:30 AM
this must be the last beta before release

Not necessarily. People have said that for the last three or four releases.

In the past, the last update has been around the time of public release of the next major update. They haven't even announced 10.9 or started external betas, so assuming they do what they have done in the past, there should be at least one more. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up at 10.8.5 since we're months away from 10.9 release.

thomaskc
Feb 7, 2013, 09:42 AM
I don't know if this is common knowledge by now but this is basically what apple lists 10.8.3 will fix (when installing 12D65):

"The 10.8.3 update is recommended for all OS X Mountain Lion users and includes features and fixes that improve the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, including the following:
The ability to redeem iTunes gift cards in the Mac App Store using your Mac's built-in camera
Boot Camp support for installing Windows 8
Boot Camp support for Macs with a 3TB hard drive
A fix for an issue that may cause Logic Pro to become unresponsive when using certain plug-ins
A fix for an issue that may cause audio to stutter on 2011 iMacs
Includes Safari 6.0.3"

81Steven
Feb 7, 2013, 09:47 AM
I don't know if this is common knowledge by now but this is basically what apple lists 10.8.3 will fix (when installing 12D65):

"The 10.8.3 update is recommended for all OS X Mountain Lion users and includes features and fixes that improve the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, including the following:
The ability to redeem iTunes gift cards in the Mac App Store using your Mac's built-in camera
Boot Camp support for installing Windows 8
Boot Camp support for Macs with a 3TB hard drive
A fix for an issue that may cause Logic Pro to become unresponsive when using certain plug-ins
A fix for an issue that may cause audio to stutter on 2011 iMacs
Includes Safari 6.0.3"
Are these mentioned only in the installer? there is a screenshot of these 2 features?

thomaskc
Feb 7, 2013, 10:01 AM
Are these mentioned only in the installer? there is a screenshot of these 2 features?

I took a screenshot of the installer:

http://i.imgur.com/invpduJ.png

81Steven
Feb 7, 2013, 12:42 PM
:eek::D:apple:

Peace
Feb 7, 2013, 12:44 PM
Keep in mind you won't be able to download the windows drivers until 10.8.3 has been released.

vea1083
Feb 7, 2013, 12:56 PM

Image (http://i.imgur.com/invpduJ.png)

How big is the Combo Update if you mind asking? I will be using this update for my MacBook Pro running 10.8.2 (12C60).

Thanks...

Swiss-G
Feb 7, 2013, 01:19 PM
how big is the combo update if you mind asking? I will be using this update for my macbook pro running 10.8.2 (12c60).

Thanks...

854 mb

Sankersizzle
Feb 7, 2013, 01:48 PM

Don't even get me started on the CSS rendering in Safari. Things jumping around the page and disappearing as if a tiny poltergeist has climbed inside my computer and is having a fit. You think a program like Safari, which after a few hours of browsing takes up 2GB of RAM would at least be able to render the things I wish to look at correctly.

My main problem is that there is just no alternative that stacks up to Safari on a Mac. When I had a PC, I loved me some Opera, but not so much on the Mac. Now I have to just sit there and suffer random anomalies and page breaks.

walfrieda
Feb 7, 2013, 02:07 PM
could anyone comment on my question whether 10.8.3 fixes the "spotlight keeps indexing" bug and the high power consumption (low battery life)?

chrfr
Feb 7, 2013, 02:10 PM
could anyone comment on my question whether 10.8.3 fixes the "spotlight keeps indexing" bug and the high power consumption (low battery life)?

I haven't had either with any version of 10.8. Are you sure these are universal bugs?

walfrieda
Feb 7, 2013, 03:21 PM
I haven't had either with any version of 10.8. Are you sure these are universal bugs?

Yes, these are two of the most prominent "universal" bugs - the Apple forums are full of people having these issues. The high power consumption already started with 10.8.0 (I instantly "lost" two hours of battery life the very moment I installed 10.8.0), the spotlight indexing problem started with 10.8.2 and is caused by problems with sandboxing - which, by the way, causes many other problems that you can see in Console.

Feb 7, 2013, 04:34 PM
Based on what? A long beta period (with lots of iterations) like this is usually a good thing.[COLOR="#808080"]

Your logic is perfectly right.

The problem I am predicting is as follows: with such a long beta period and a huge file, they will surely fix a LOT of previously-reported bugs. But also create a LOT of new, otherwise unknown ones...wait and see.

vea1083
Feb 8, 2013, 01:11 PM
854 mb

Thanks for the info Swiss-G.

On the other hand I predict that we might see the builds reaching the high 60s or even somewhere in the 70s.

ghosthaunt11
Feb 8, 2013, 01:53 PM

Why do you want to install Windows 8? It's as bad as Vista if not worse.

By the way, does anyone actually KNOW if this is the final beta before public release? I hope that this is the final beta because we've all had to wait a LOOOOONG time to update. As of now, we're still stuck with 10.8.2. At least that probably means that a whole bunch of bugs have been fixed and the OS will be a lot more stable (hopefully). We know that they fixed the "file" bug, which was critical. When I first heard of that bug, I tried it out on my MacBook Pro and sure enough, the app did crash. However, I don't care about that bug since I never need to type that. It is still a good idea to fix it, though.

milo
Feb 8, 2013, 02:15 PM
Nobody knows either way, although we're at a point where any of these builds could be the last one. Obviously they want to get it out as soon as they can, but the flip side is if they do more builds it should mean more bugs fixed.

ozaz
Feb 8, 2013, 04:37 PM
Has anyone noticed whether 10.8.3 resolves "cannot save event to exchange server" issues in Calendar?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1433698

ianwuk
Feb 8, 2013, 07:10 PM

I might ditch VMWare Fusion 5 now if Bootcamp supports Windows 8.

Feb 9, 2013, 01:00 PM
Yes, these are two of the most prominent "universal" bugs - the Apple forums are full of people having these issues. The high power consumption already started with 10.8.0 (I instantly "lost" two hours of battery life the very moment I installed 10.8.0), the spotlight indexing problem started with 10.8.2 and is caused by problems with sandboxing - which, by the way, causes many other problems that you can see in Console.

Seems like most of my sandboxing issues have been fixed with a Safe Boot (reboot while keeping the Shift key down) - try it out yourself. After that, just reboot normally and see if it works.

walfrieda
Feb 9, 2013, 01:59 PM
Seems like most of my sandboxing issues have been fixed with a Safe Boot (reboot while keeping the Shift key down) - try it out yourself. After that, just reboot normally and see if it works.

I have gone through that before, and it doesn't fix anything permanently (neither for me nor for the many in Apple's forum). That's why I asked here whether 10.8.3 DOES fix the problem. It looks like no-one knows, though...

Feb 9, 2013, 05:03 PM
I have gone through that before, and it doesn't fix anything permanently (neither for me nor for the many in Apple's forum). That's why I asked here whether 10.8.3 DOES fix the problem. It looks like no-one knows, though...

Been asking the same thing for ages now...no one has a clue or cares to answer this specific point.

SlCKB0Y
Feb 9, 2013, 05:51 PM
My main problem is that there is just no alternative that stacks up to Safari on a Mac. When I had a PC, I loved me some Opera, but not so much on the Mac. Now I have to just sit there and suffer random anomalies and page breaks.

No, your main problem is your closed mind. Try Chrome or Firefox. Chrome has been superior to Safari for at least the last 18 months (yes, even on Mac).

yusukeaoki
Feb 9, 2013, 07:13 PM
Keeps on updating beta and not for the 10.8.2 users lol

GIZBUG
Feb 9, 2013, 10:11 PM
No, your main problem is your closed mind. Try Chrome or Firefox. Chrome has been superior to Safari for at least the last 18 months (yes, even on Mac).

Agreed. Use chrome daily. No reason for safari

noiseordinance
Feb 10, 2013, 10:26 AM
Clunkier? I guess that's why Safari, Firefox and IE have all completely ripped off the uncluttered and simplified Chrome UI then? :rolleyes:

I'm not talking about the UI as much as the slow scrolling and heavy feel of the browser. It's not as snappy. And here, lemme toss the obnoxious eye roll back atcha. :rolleyes:

----------

You obviously haven't tried Chrome on Retina machines. It's nowhere near as fast as Safari. But sadly, I'll take the reliable website rendering of Chrome over the snappy-yet-flawed Safari any day.

locoboi187
Feb 10, 2013, 02:43 PM

lol not on the retina. Safari > Chrome

SlCKB0Y
Feb 10, 2013, 05:38 PM
And here, lemme toss the obnoxious eye roll back atcha. :rolleyes:
:D

You obviously haven't tried Chrome on Retina machines. It's nowhere near as fast as Safari.

I wasn't aware of this but i'm sure it's just a matter of time before this is corrected.

Have you tried the webkit nightly builds to see if your Safari issue is fixed there?
http://nightly.webkit.org/

noiseordinance
Feb 10, 2013, 06:12 PM
:D

I wasn't aware of this but i'm sure it's just a matter of time before this is corrected.

Have you tried the webkit nightly builds to see if your Safari issue is fixed there?
http://nightly.webkit.org/

Yeah, the webkit is no bueno. Minced CSS everywhere.

Feb 12, 2013, 01:04 PM
And I thought 10.8.3 was coming today - oh well.

sshhoott
Feb 12, 2013, 08:43 PM
And I thought 10.8.3 was coming today - oh well.

No, it's coming tomorrow (wednesday) at 1;30PM PST.

RedGeminiPA
Feb 13, 2013, 09:23 AM

Chrome is horribly clunky and slow compared to Safari. Even Firefox feels much snappier. Yes, my Chrome is updated to the latest version.

I still can't let go of Safari. It just feels the best, even if I have to shut it down a few times a day in attempt to keep memory usage under control.

kensic
Feb 13, 2013, 11:17 AM
is 10.8.3 or 10.9 still coming out today? i want to put windows 8 on my mac!

PBP
Feb 13, 2013, 11:46 AM

10.8.3 is coming soon, nobody knows when. 10.9 is not yet announced so definitely not coming out today

RedGeminiPA
Feb 13, 2013, 03:03 PM

Odd. The ability to use the camera to enter iTunes gift cards is present in 10.8.2... I've used it. Unless this is specific to the Mac App store.... I've done it through iTunes.

Risco
Feb 13, 2013, 03:15 PM
I guess it is not coming out tonight.

noiseordinance
Feb 13, 2013, 04:36 PM

Lies, all lies.

ghosthaunt11
Feb 13, 2013, 04:43 PM

Nope, it didn't come yet.

Why do you want to use Windows 8? It's as bad as Vista if not worse. Of course, I don't care if you use Windows 8, so go ahead and use it. I just think it's as bad as Vista, which is also what many people think.

Michael Goff
Feb 13, 2013, 04:46 PM

Why do you want to use Windows 8? It's as bad as Vista if not worse. Of course, I don't care if you use Windows 8, so go ahead and use it. I just think it's as bad as Vista, which is also what many people think.

So... you hate Windows 8, I take it?

noiseordinance
Feb 13, 2013, 04:58 PM
MS has done a pretty consistent 2-release cycle. Every other release sucks, every other release is great. Windows ME = garbage, Windows XP = good, Windows Vista = garbage, Windows 7 = good, Windows 8 = garbage, Windows 9... guess we'll see.

Michael Goff
Feb 13, 2013, 04:59 PM
MS has done a pretty consistent 2-release cycle. Every other release sucks, every other release is great. Windows ME = garbage, Windows XP = good, Windows Vista = garbage, Windows 7 = good, Windows 8 = garbage, Windows 9... guess we'll see.

Windows XP was initially panned as garbage.

What is it with people and revising history?

noiseordinance
Feb 13, 2013, 05:02 PM
Windows XP was initially panned as garbage.

What is it with people and revising history?

Sure, initially it was crap. But it was one of - if not THEE - most successful operating system ever. Not saying I personally like it. You must be reading an old history book.

Hungry&Foolish
Feb 13, 2013, 05:18 PM
Waiting for the 11th Beta.

kensic
Feb 13, 2013, 05:24 PM

i think you should investigate more about windows 8. windows 8 is such a lean and more efficient OS then vista (and even windows 7) in terms of how much resources it uses.

so i dont know why u would compare windows 8 with vista is beyond me. but i do agree with you that vista is a peice of crap. uses so much resources while running, making simple tasks all laggy.

but if you hate windows 8 because of the start button isn't there anymore, then i guess thats your habit. sure it is different finding things on windows 8. but "different" doesn't necessary be a hassle.

for example....when you do a certain task with "turning left" for 5 years. NOW you have to do the same task with "turning right". yes it will take a little bit getting used to. but you're only making one single motion to complete your task.

im currently has been using windows 8 ever since it came out. and i love it. everything is so much snappier and quicker then windows 7 *not even gonna mention slow-azz vista* the quick start-up and shut-down is enough for me to pick windows 8.

cubbie5150
Feb 13, 2013, 06:32 PM
What's the rush? This update doesn't appear to fix the fundamental flaws complained about in many threads...though I can't claim to have read every thread/post.

Michael Goff
Feb 13, 2013, 06:40 PM
Sure, initially it was crap. But it was one of - if not THEE - most successful operating system ever. Not saying I personally like it. You must be reading an old history book.

It was successful because it took 5 or so years to replace with something that was horrible initially. Vista was a resource hog.

It has nothing to do with how good XP was.

Now XP is "good enough" for some people. That doesn't mean it was great.

noiseordinance
Feb 13, 2013, 08:37 PM
It was successful because it took 5 or so years to replace with something that was horrible initially. Vista was a resource hog.

It has nothing to do with how good XP was.

Now XP is "good enough" for some people. That doesn't mean it was great.

I mostly meant great as in as a measure of success, and while not as fun to use as OSX and Linux, I found the XP experience to pretty good. I would even go so far as to say that Microsoft did a pretty damn good job supporting an infinite amount of computer configurations; something that Apple never had to contend with. Given that there's only a couple handfuls of OSX devices on the market, it's pretty damn pathetic that my wallpaper resets every time I reboot on my rMBP 15", and that this issue is but one of many glaring issues on the surface of OSX.

Anyways, my original point was that Microsoft seems to succeed every other release, and that given their track record, their next OS will probably refine the windows 8 experience in such a way that it gains traction. But I can tell you are one of those folks who like to argue for the sake of arguing, so have fun with that buddy.

RedGeminiPA
Feb 14, 2013, 08:08 AM
What's the rush? This update doesn't appear to fix the fundamental flaws complained about in many threads...though I can't claim to have read every thread/post.

Oh, I don't know... maybe the HDMI issues for machines with Intel 4000 graphics. I love using extra dongles connecting my Mac mini to my HDMI monitor for no good reason. :mad:

And, yes, it's confirmed 10.8.3 fixes this glaring flaw.

asknone9
Feb 14, 2013, 09:34 AM
Oh, I don't know... maybe the HDMI issues for machines with Intel 4000 graphics. I love using extra dongles connecting my Mac mini to my HDMI monitor for no good reason. :mad:

And, yes, it's confirmed 10.8.3 fixes this glaring flaw.

This.

JM-Prod
Feb 14, 2013, 10:08 AM
OS X: Waiting for Godot

81Steven
Feb 14, 2013, 12:15 PM
no update today? :(

johnscully
Feb 14, 2013, 12:16 PM
The HDMI colour issues are so annoying. Using a Mini-DP to DVI adapter since November (because of the crushed whites via HDMI), but the problem is that my adapter has a loose connection and produces distortions once in a while. And i'm not buying a new adapter for something apple has already fixed, but just doesn't release for whatever reason. Come on, Apple, 10.8.3 should be ready for prime time now.

Verloc
Feb 14, 2013, 03:36 PM

It's here! :D

milo
Feb 15, 2013, 08:57 AM
People need to stop worrying about when it goes public. Apple is obviously taking their time on this one, which is fine with me.

peejack
Feb 18, 2013, 09:50 AM
People need to stop worrying about when it goes public. Apple is obviously taking their time on this one, which is fine with me.

Well it's not with me. I wish they would hurry. My rMBP UI lag is awful + the audio glitching.

25ghosts
Feb 18, 2013, 10:30 AM
The never ending beta.

With ALL those Graphic Problems pertaining to i.e. Final Cut Pro X.... I HOPE for their sake that this release will fix all that. If not, they are looking at hordes jumping ship to adobe and AVID

milo
Feb 18, 2013, 12:00 PM
Well it's not with me. I wish they would hurry. My rMBP UI lag is awful + the audio glitching.

If they hurry, you could end up with one or both of those not getting fixed. And then waiting to wait more weeks or months for the fixes. Apple has in mind what they'd like to try and have fixed with this update, and they're not going to release until they feel like they have enough of those fixes in.

noiseordinance
Feb 18, 2013, 02:25 PM
If they hurry, you could end up with one or both of those not getting fixed. And then waiting to wait more weeks or months for the fixes. Apple has in mind what they'd like to try and have fixed with this update, and they're not going to release until they feel like they have enough of those fixes in.

I think this is bogus logic. Are they delaying this release because every single fix still has problems? Or is it because, while almost every single fix works great, there's a hangup with a couple of them. I tend to believe the latter, in which case, give us the updates that do work in the meantime. Instead, Apple is hellbent on making it seem like they have this fantastic error free experience that only requires updates every several months. The problem is, that's not true. They need to step up their research department in a serious way. I can only speak for rMBP users when I say that there's absolutely no excuse for some of these issues to persist since June when the product was originally released.

milo
Feb 18, 2013, 04:34 PM
That's not what I said. Of course most of the things on their list are fixed at this point and it's just a few holding things up. And some of those things may end up not getting fixed in this release. But it all just boils down to finding the balance between working longer and fixing more, and letting more go and releasing updates more often. Regardless of which way they lean on a given release, you will have users who complain it took too long and users who complain that not enough was fixed and that they should have worked longer on the release to get more fixed.

ctakah
Feb 19, 2013, 01:43 AM

how's that going?

----------

With ALL those Graphic Problems pertaining to i.e. Final Cut Pro X.... I HOPE for their sake that this release will fix all that. If not, they are looking at hordes jumping ship to adobe and AVID

already happened.. no?