PDA

View Full Version : A CineMac Makes So Much Sense ...

thedude110
Oct 10, 2005, 06:48 PM
So, it seems to me Wednesday has to be all about a new Mac -- a CineMac!

Assuming Apple has struck a deal and is poised to sell movies through iTunes, it seems obvious that users are going to demand significant hard drive capacity and a suitably sweet LCD screen. So maybe Apple is going to release a new super-sexy computer -- a computer with half a terabyte of storage, a Tivo like piece of software, blu-ray support, -- maybe even Final Cut installed. It would cash in on the iPod halo effect (making investors happy), especially if a video iPod is on the way, too. And if Apple were to package it with a 17" cinema display (a cinema display mini, if you will) and a way to beam movies from the computer to your TV - well. My goodness.

So, which of you rumor mongers are with me? A CineMac, in this, the year of our Steve, HD?

pdpfilms
Oct 10, 2005, 07:23 PM
So, it seems to me Wednesday has to be all about a new Mac -- a CineMac!

Assuming Apple has struck a deal and is poised to sell movies through iTunes, it seems obvious that users are going to demand significant hard drive capacity and a suitably sweet LCD screen. So maybe Apple is going to release a new super-sexy computer -- a computer with half a terabyte of storage, a Tivo like piece of software, blu-ray support, -- maybe even Final Cut installed. It would cash in on the iPod halo effect (making investors happy), especially if a video iPod is on the way, too. And if Apple were to package it with a 17" cinema display (a cinema display mini, if you will) and a way to beam movies from the computer to your TV - well. My goodness.

So, which of you rumor mongers are with me? A CineMac, in this, the year of our Steve, HD?

mmm... i'm not. Sorry. I just don't think apple's interested in going there, as there are still too many ways to make this product confusing, and fewer to make it reasonable for the average user.

Demon Hunter
Oct 10, 2005, 07:50 PM
Hmm... interesting but that would cannibalize Mac sales. A family that would normally buy a G5 and a sweet display would just buy that. Apple wouldn't opt for a subscription revenue stream over its comptuers, not for a nanosecond.

wongulous
Oct 10, 2005, 09:21 PM
Steve hates TV too much.

The only thing I can see Apple doing close to this is a DV camera with an iPod-like interface and an 80GB micro-HD in it. Apple could revolutionize digital video cameras just as it did mp3 players.

thedude110
Oct 12, 2005, 05:40 PM
So, not exactly what I predicted.

But tell that new iMac isn't a CineMac!

*stares into screen of Powerbook narcissistically*

Demon Hunter
Oct 13, 2005, 02:58 PM
So, not exactly what I predicted.

But tell that new iMac isn't a CineMac!

*stares into screen of Powerbook narcissistically*

Touche. :) It appears you were right at least on one level.