PDA

View Full Version : The Uber-Chess Computer

elohim01
Dec 7, 2002, 08:18 PM
Okay...my fathers chess club is going to try and have the whole man-versus-machine thing (GO DEEP BLUE!...hehe). My question is...they have $5,000.00 in which they are willing to spend on a chess system...and since the time limit in which the computer must make a decision is 3 minutes they need ALL THE SPEED they can get to make for tougher matches.

Obviously they don't care for the interface, and could care less for design, feel, and all the other nuances that make a mac great. The question is this (which should be rather obvious now), what PC should they get?

I'm guessing a lot of fast ram, and some small 36 GB 15,000 RPM hard drive, and a super fast processor (or two, three...) In other words, speed is the ONLY thing that matters...well, and hopefully the fact that it won't crash...I don't think many good chess programs work with Unix/Linux?

By the way, if it matters, I believe they're getting Deep Fritz 7...I could be wrong on that one however.

BenderBot1138
Dec 7, 2002, 09:25 PM
Buy 25 second-hand G3's at $200.00 a pop and Cluster Bomb the heck out of anything at Chess...

:cool:

dricci
Dec 7, 2002, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by BenderBot1138 Buy 25 second-hand G3's at $200.00 a pop and Cluster Bomb the heck out of anything at Chess...

Actually, that's not a bad idea. However, you'd need Chess software that could be clustered... Not sure if that exists (at least in a consumer form).

elohim01
Dec 8, 2002, 04:39 AM
Naw...Fritz only works on windows and it is the only chess program available to consumers that has beaten a grandmaster.

elohim01
Dec 10, 2002, 06:27 AM
Come on guys...post something...I hate to push the issue, but I need the help.