PDA

View Full Version : Intuitive Email Management App 'Mailbox' Now Available in App Store

MacRumors
Feb 7, 2013, 12:03 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/07/intuitive-email-management-app-mailbox-now-available-in-app-store/)

Mailbox (http://www.mailboxapp.com), the highly anticipated email management app from Orchestra (http://www.orchestra.com),*launched today.*The app is designed to work with Gmail + iPhone and uses a simple design that incorporates intuitive touch gestures.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/02/mailbox.jpg

A quick swipe to the right removes emails from the inbox and archives them, while a longer slide deletes them. A swipe to the left activates a "Snooze" function, which puts emails out of sight and out of mind until later, and drag gestures make reorganization of the inbox a simple task.Mailbox is a mobile-first email experience that challenges the archaic assumptions about how email should work and reimagines the inbox for a world on the go. It's a new way of looking at your email, but when you use Mailbox for the first time, we believe you'll say "of course."Because the Mailbox app received an overwhelming amount of interest after it was announced in December (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/13/developers-behind-orchestra-to-release-mailbox-a-new-mail-management-app/), a reservation system was implemented to handle demand and to prevent server overload.

Reservations are currently being filled on a first-come first served basis. Users that have not already signed up (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/23/reservation-system-announced-for-upcoming-mailbox-email-app/) to use Mailbox can download the app to reserve a spot in line. Users who did reserve a spot can enter reservation information into the app, and all users can see their place in line in real time. At this time, there are no estimates on how long the wait to use the app might be.

Mailbox (http://appshopper.com/productivity/mailbox) is a free app that can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mailbox/id576502633?mt=8)]

Article Link: Intuitive Email Management App 'Mailbox' Now Available in App Store (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/07/intuitive-email-management-app-mailbox-now-available-in-app-store/)

GIZBUG
Feb 7, 2013, 12:07 PM
Wondering if this will replace my GMAIL app...

BrockC
Feb 7, 2013, 12:08 PM
This is awesome! Makes me realize how many improvements could be made throughout iOS. . Can't wait for 7!

John.B
Feb 7, 2013, 12:11 PM
Hype-ware.

RJCP
Feb 7, 2013, 12:13 PM
If this app's GUI is an omen to what's to come in iOS... Wow! Yes, please! The dialogue boxes are gorgeous!

GIZBUG
Feb 7, 2013, 12:14 PM
Hype-ware.

40451 people in front of me to dl..
216K behind

corywright
Feb 7, 2013, 12:20 PM
Come on MacRumors, two links to it's appshopper page, and not a single link to the app's own website (http://www.mailboxapp.com/)?

spazzcat
Feb 7, 2013, 12:22 PM
People in front of you 174,602...

mw360
Feb 7, 2013, 12:24 PM
What's all this about server overload? Whose server? Why?

bushido
Feb 7, 2013, 12:25 PM
is this supposed to be some viral marketing crap? signing up to download a free app? lol ... they must swim in "demand" for an email app :rolleyes:

spazzcat
Feb 7, 2013, 12:26 PM
Come on MacRumors, two links to it's appshopper page, and not a single link to the app's own website (http://www.mailboxapp.com/)?

They should have called the app anything but mailbox. It's a pain to search for in the app store.

Dwalls90
Feb 7, 2013, 12:28 PM
I reserved mine weeks ago and it said there were 20,000 people ahead of me. Today I put in my reservation info and it says 250,000 ahead of me. Um... Ok?

kockgunner
Feb 7, 2013, 12:31 PM
I'm excited to see how this will affect my workflow. Just have to wait for 125,813 others to get their copy first!

TwistedPain
Feb 7, 2013, 12:32 PM
I wonder how long it will take for me to get access? Can't wait to see a few reviews as well.

GIZBUG
Feb 7, 2013, 12:38 PM
I wonder how long it will take for me to get access? Can't wait to see a few reviews as well.

2 days is my guess

SoApple
Feb 7, 2013, 12:46 PM
274000 people behind me...
/sigh

mrsir2009
Feb 7, 2013, 12:49 PM
is this supposed to be some viral marketing crap? signing up to download a free app? lol ... they must swim in "demand" for an email app :rolleyes:

Yea, I really don’t know what the deal is with this thing. Why on earth is it so restricted? With waiting lists and crap?

budselectjr
Feb 7, 2013, 12:49 PM

Mailbox is much faster than Apple Mail, Sparrow, and especially Gmail for iOS at fetching and sending emails. Unlike most email clients, Mailbox servers check your email accounts and securely compress emails in advance before pushing them down to you.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/7/3961544/mailbox-app-for-iphone-inbox-unchained

aajeevlin
Feb 7, 2013, 12:51 PM
Hype-ware.

I second this, either make it a pay app or just let people download and run it. This kind of marketing scheme is retarded. I deleted the app already, will check again in um...few weeks (if I actually care enough to check again) to see if I can just download it and start running it all other normal apps. Thank, but no thanks.

freeny
Feb 7, 2013, 12:52 PM
The ability to reorganize and move my unread mail to the top of the cue is what got me interested...

Cougarcat
Feb 7, 2013, 12:55 PM
Yea, I really don’t know what the deal is with this thing. Why on earth is it so restricted? With waiting lists and crap?

The app relies on their servers, and their scaling up gradually.

miknos
Feb 7, 2013, 12:56 PM
Better than the Google Gmail's app for sure.

Mad Mac Maniac
Feb 7, 2013, 01:00 PM
Just signed up. 269,477 in line ahead of me! This is so exciting! I feel like I'm waiting in line at Disney World, wishing I had gotten a fast pass! ;)

Prediction: within the next 24 hours I will have more people behind me in line than in front of me

Edit: As of 2:20pm I now have 269,414 in front and 31,610 behind. Only gone down 33 people in last 1 hr 20 minutes... *sigh*

Edit: goal accomplished in 20 hours!!

Edit 2: Exactly 1 week later!! I am now (stuck) at 120,419. They are having server issues so they have stopped the line. I have moved 149,058 spots!! An avg rate of 14.7875 per minute!!!

Edit 3: 2 weeks later! I am now number 10,115!! So close! The line is moving at an approximate rate of 13.4 per minute (it slowed down after the server errors last week :( ) so at this rate my reservation will be filled tonight at around 1:35am! Sorry mailbox... I'm not staying up for that. But I'll see you in the morning!

Codyak
Feb 7, 2013, 01:04 PM
64k in front, not too bad it seems.

C64
Feb 7, 2013, 01:05 PM
120k in front

Allenbf
Feb 7, 2013, 01:05 PM
47,000 more until my ticket is pulled. I am looking forward to trying it out.

tatonka
Feb 7, 2013, 01:13 PM
The idea and realization looks awesome .. I just don't get why I have to route my mail through their servers .. makes me uncomfortable.

T

andrewweiser
Feb 7, 2013, 01:17 PM
1900 infront of me! I've been waiting months for this app, I really hope it delivers. (no pun intended).

Cayennr
I got excited when I saw MacRumors' Facebook post about Mailbox app and when I registered I saw 251.437 people in front of me and now I'm sad. :( I guess this takes a good week or two before I get to try the app.

jgz
is there good way to sync with Apple Mail on Mac?....

Phil A.
Feb 7, 2013, 01:21 PM
The idea and realization looks awesome .. I just don't get why I have to route my mail through their servers .. makes me uncomfortable.

T

According to their website, it's to handle push notifications and the "do later" stuff. I must admit, it does cause me a bit of concern too

andrewweiser
Feb 7, 2013, 01:24 PM
is there good way to sync with Apple Mail on Mac?....

Doesn't look like it. For now it only supports Gmail.

Tyler23
Feb 7, 2013, 01:27 PM
111,117 in front of me, 168,000+ behind me.

I hope it doesn't take more than a day or two..

Mike84
Feb 7, 2013, 01:30 PM
26k in front of me

inlinevolvo
Feb 7, 2013, 01:39 PM
Nice butt. Probably the best part of the ad. What is this app for again?

Black107
Feb 7, 2013, 01:40 PM
They should have called the app anything but mailbox. It's a pain to search for in the app store.

App Store vanity urls to the rescue!

In the mean time, searching for Mailbox Orchestra should get you close.

33k in front, this could take a while.

er2429
Feb 7, 2013, 01:40 PM
Who really uses archive functionality?

marshy82
Feb 7, 2013, 01:44 PM
Judging by the current rate at which the mailboxes are being given out, I should have my mailbox in 122 days

Xano
Feb 7, 2013, 01:49 PM
270K in front of me ...
WOW
Why server issues?

Tyler23
Feb 7, 2013, 01:49 PM
Judging by the current rate at which the mailboxes are being given out, I should have my mailbox in 122 days

They'll start picking up the pace as time goes on.

QCassidy352
Feb 7, 2013, 01:50 PM

T

Well said. Very uncomfortable. I'll pass, but cool idea. I hope google or apple make this kind of layout native in the mail/gmail iOS apps.

Oui
Feb 7, 2013, 01:50 PM
No waiting for me. Mail.app is more than enough.

Razeus
Feb 7, 2013, 01:58 PM
So much for the email I was suppose to get when this launched...:rolleyes:

Mad Mac Maniac
Feb 7, 2013, 02:01 PM
Free app. No Ads. Email is routed through their servers.

Anyone want to take a stab at their money making business model?

Mike84
Feb 7, 2013, 02:02 PM

They are going to offer additional email functionality services at some point.

madmaxmedia
Feb 7, 2013, 02:10 PM
Basically the Dropbox model.

I am 3,354 so hopefully soon. On their Tumblr page they say scaleup will be slower at first (makes sense as they can troubleshoot, etc. easier with fewer initial users), and will then ramp up new user rate.

When I go to gmail web page, it says I have 19,177 unread messages. Hopefully this will help. ;-)

I hope some point down the line they can add support for other IMAP accounts. Gmail lets you check outside POP accounts, but not IMAP.

ghsNick
Feb 7, 2013, 02:11 PM
296,272 Ahead
750 Behind

Got a LONG way to go haha

RichardMZhlubb
Feb 7, 2013, 02:13 PM
I signed up for the waiting list last month, but couldn't find my code anywhere (I'd forgotten that they sent it in a text message). So I just got into the end of the line when I downloaded the app. Now that I've found my reservation code, there doesn't appear to be any way to enter it once you've entered the queue. I've tried deleting/reinstalling and that didn't work. Any ideas?

Razeus
Feb 7, 2013, 02:13 PM
Wow, 76918 in front of me. :rolleyes:

It's moved 2 digits in the last 15 minutes.

Saladinos
Feb 7, 2013, 02:56 PM
They are going to offer additional email functionality services at some point.

You don't make money just from email. You need to snoop on those emails and show ads next to them (or use them to build a personal profile for targeted ads) to make money.

From their site:
Mailbox is free, and our goal is to have a free version forever. Like Evernote and Dropbox, we hope to add a premium set of paid features over time.

I dunno, with so many users I don't think that'll be a sustainable business model. It depends on how much server processing they're doing and how cheaply they can scale, though.

I'm going to try it on a temporary password.

EDIT: According to the Verge, they're using OAuth2 to integrate with Gmail (which doesn't store your password). That's more reassuring.

charlieegan3
Feb 7, 2013, 03:05 PM
Hype-ware.

Well advertised Hype-ware too.

Joins the list with Clear and the others. (IMO of course)

charlituna
Feb 7, 2013, 03:10 PM

As I understand, for the app in order to make it work all your email has to come to and then through their servers. Which is why it is only working with gmail, that's the only company that was willing so far to give them access in such a way.

Until it is open to all services its a meh in my book.

curmudgeon32
Feb 7, 2013, 03:18 PM
As I understand, for the app in order to make it work all your email has to come to and then through their servers. Which is why it is only working with gmail, that's the only company that was willing so far to give them access in such a way.

Until it is open to all services its a meh in my book.

Agreed. Also, since none of that prioritizing and stuff is going to be visible in the desktop Gmail interface or anything, this is really of limited use. If they also made a Mac OS X app for this, and/or a regular web interface that synced all the work you do on the phone, I could see it making sense. But, honestly, a lot of the emailing I do on a phone is kind of triage anyway. The real work gets done on the desktop with a real keyboard.

Tyler23
Feb 7, 2013, 03:21 PM
Agreed. Also, since none of that prioritizing and stuff is going to be visible in the desktop Gmail interface or anything, this is really of limited use. If they also made a Mac OS X app for this, and/or a regular web interface that synced all the work you do on the phone, I could see it making sense. But, honestly, a lot of the emailing I do on a phone is kind of triage anyway. The real work gets done on the desktop with a real keyboard.

It will, actually.

They've stated that it will architect a folder structure in your gmail account that will be visible through browser access. I don't remember exactly what the setup will be, but there will be some sort of interaction with normal gmail login (say from a computer) apart from the iOS app.

For me, this is perfect since I do 99% of my email reading and composing on my iPhone. This will really help me keep everything sorted. Now just need them to start filling reservations faster..

jetlitheone
Feb 7, 2013, 03:24 PM
I had to restore my text messages so the code is gone :/ anyway to get it?

Tyler23
Feb 7, 2013, 03:26 PM
I had to restore my text messages so the code is gone :/ anyway to get it?

Send them a tweet/email them, they seem to be good about helping people out and retrieving their codes.

charlituna
Feb 7, 2013, 03:26 PM

1. It gets their name out there for any paid apps they have or create later
2. They can always charge for things like having more than one email working with the app.
3. Hope that this will blow up and someone wants to buy it. Like google or apple.

Mike84
Feb 7, 2013, 03:31 PM
You don't make money just from email. You need to snoop on those emails and show ads next to them (or use them to build a personal profile for targeted ads) to make money.

From their site:

Who knows what they will do but I doubt this company will do ads. I think they will offer alternative services. For example, must like icloud where you get a certain amount of fee space, they may allocate a certain amount of email addresses to free users or some sort of space allocation. With an upgrade you can get more. That is just a thought. I believe I read somewhere that they will offer additional services for a few. Maybe a calendar of sorts?

They want to prove that their product is worth it to users and I doubt they will place ads in your email. It goes against the point of having an email service app in the first place.

JarScott
Feb 7, 2013, 03:41 PM
Personally, I see little use in third party mail apps. Apple's app works just as well for me and doesn't route my mail through some incapable server.

Glassed Silver
Feb 7, 2013, 03:42 PM

Demand doesn't seem to be a problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy-8SaOdOPQ

Glassed Silver:mac

verniesgarden
Feb 7, 2013, 03:47 PM
1. It gets their name out there for any paid apps they have or create later
2. They can always charge for things like having more than one email working with the app.
3. Hope that this will blow up and someone wants to buy it. Like google or apple.

yes as google buying sparrow was fantastic for users :rolleyes:

Burton8219
Feb 7, 2013, 03:50 PM
Demand doesn't seem to be a problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy-8SaOdOPQ

Glassed Silver:mac

What he said... And the number keeps going up and up

aloshka
Feb 7, 2013, 03:53 PM
I really wish apple would revamp their email apps. The osx version is horrible unless you have one account and never use reminders, organizing or anything else.

The reordering is such a smart idea. I wish they made this for OSX as well

Compile 'em all
Feb 7, 2013, 04:07 PM

Actually I did a little calculation for my position in queue (im currently 65k something), and I should be at the top of the queue in 28 days. :p

aloshka
Feb 7, 2013, 04:08 PM
Actually I did a little calculation for my position in queue (im currently 65k something), and I should be at the top of the queue in 28 days. :p

I'm at 343,702 so I'm thinking it will be a few years?!?

John.B
Feb 7, 2013, 04:09 PM
People are waiting on a virtual waitlist to hand over their Google login/password to a company they've never heard of, so that company can give them access to their own emails and contacts.

P.T. Barnum was right.

HeyGreggie
Feb 7, 2013, 04:10 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/08/apu7ata4.jpg

Only 8,600 in front of me but by the time I get to use it... All of the OTHER mail/email apps that are being developed will ready to use.

Imagine the fact that you have to wait for the people in front of you to do it... And they totally forget about it because they are discouraged by the line of people

Compile 'em all
Feb 7, 2013, 04:13 PM
I'm at 343,702 so I'm thinking it will be a few years?!?

I actually took some data points and the queue is moving at a rate of 0.4 spots/min. So you can do your own calculation! :D

----------

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/08/apu7ata4.jpg)

Only 8,600 in front of me but by the time I get to use it... All of the OTHER mail/email apps that are being developed will ready to use.

Imagine the fact that you have to wait for the people in front of you to do it... And they totally forget about it because they are discouraged by the line of people

My guess is that by Monday you will have access.

Razeus
Feb 7, 2013, 04:18 PM
People are waiting on a virtual waitlist to hand over their Google login/password to a company they've never heard of, so that company can give them access to their own emails and contacts.

P.T. Barnum was right.

...someone doesn't understand how OAuth works.:rolleyes:

John.B
Feb 7, 2013, 04:29 PM
...someone doesn't understand how OAuth works.:rolleyes:

Someone hasn't read their privacy policy. :rolleyes:

To play devil's advocate, though, if you cared about privacy you probably wouldn't use be using GMail in the first place. ;)

Abazigal
Feb 7, 2013, 04:34 PM
Wtf...378k people in front of me?!?:eek:

iMcLovin
Feb 7, 2013, 04:39 PM
No point getting so excited. In a few weeks google will buy them and put the app dead... As they did with sparrow :( kinda tragic, the gmail app is still less good than the sparrow app.. Google should have tossed theirs, added push to sparrow and keep going from there. Now I'm betting we will see the same here. They buy it and kill it. Adds its gesture features into the gmail app 1 year later in an half a.ss way with beta stamps all over.

enklined
Feb 7, 2013, 04:44 PM
Piss. I couldn't find my reservation info in my email from last month, so I clicked "reserve now" (or whatever) on the app.

Just found the reservation info in a text message; can't figure out how to get back to the "front" screen where it asks for a reservation number or if you want to reserve now. Tried uninstalling and rebooting to no avail. Just goes back to reservation countdown screen. Ideas?

majordude
Feb 7, 2013, 04:50 PM
They make their money by blackmailing you after it downloads all your mail to it's servers! :p

Search: boss+jerk, wife+cheat, two+girlfriends...

HeyGreggie
Feb 7, 2013, 04:52 PM
I don't see how y'all misclicked "reserve now"... Y'all SAW the options to input code.. We're y'all just super excited and clicked?

whsbuss
Feb 7, 2013, 05:11 PM
~348k in front of me....... you gotta be joking. Deleted!!

QuarterSwede
Feb 7, 2013, 05:13 PM
Piss. I couldn't find my reservation info in my email from last month, so I clicked "reserve now" (or whatever) on the app.

Just found the reservation info in a text message; can't figure out how to get back to the "front" screen where it asks for a reservation number or if you want to reserve now. Tried uninstalling and rebooting to no avail. Just goes back to reservation countdown screen. Ideas?
Tap and hold on the grayed out mailbox icon.

You can thank me later ;)

smithrh
Feb 7, 2013, 05:26 PM

Many questions somewhat answered here.

While I'm withholding judgement until I try it, I do very much like the idea of re-thinking email. There is so much that could be done...

Drunken Master
Feb 7, 2013, 05:40 PM
I don't see how y'all misclicked "reserve now"... Y'all SAW the options to input code.. We're y'all just super excited and clicked?

Sumbitch, I just clicked that dang thing y'all, it don't matter.

enklined
Feb 7, 2013, 06:04 PM
Tap and hold on the grayed out mailbox icon.

You can thank me later ;)

You're the man! Thanks!

interconnect
Feb 7, 2013, 06:16 PM
Yeah, ummm no thanks. I'm not handing over my GMail username and password. While the app looks nice, does it support multiple accounts, unified inbox, etc.? It didn't look like it. Sparrow and the GMail app are still my top picks.

Razeus
Feb 7, 2013, 06:17 PM
Someone hasn't read their privacy policy. :rolleyes:

To play devil's advocate, though, if you cared about privacy you probably wouldn't use be using GMail in the first place. ;)

People over the do the whole privacy thing. Want privacy? Get off the internet.

Saladinos
Feb 7, 2013, 06:28 PM

Many questions somewhat answered here.

While I'm withholding judgement until I try it, I do very much like the idea of re-thinking email. There is so much that could be done...

I'll give it a go; I'm still not entirely convinced this is it.

They're spot on with GTD being too disciplined. Most people just aren't like that. It's why most budget planning apps on the AppStore are also crap. They try to duplicate your bank statement; which means you either need to enter every single thing you spend or you need to do a lot of 'reconciling' which resets the balance but leaves you with no transactions and nothing to do in the app.

They're not planning apps at all - they just duplicate your bank statement, which you can get online these days anyway. That's why there are millions of them (and I must have downloaded almost all of them), and everyone I know has downloaded one at some point; but none of those people actually use them. It's the same thing with GTD apps and todo planners and that. In fact, in an informal survey I found the default Notes app to be the most popular todo app. Nothing beats simple.

Anyway, not to go too OT, these 'life planning' apps are all too rigid and don't fit real life.

Does this app do it? Meh... I'm not sure. Simply delaying things to pop up earlier isn't really going to change anything IMO. I'll reserve judgement until the 300-odd thousand people ahead of me have passed theirs.

xraydoc
Feb 7, 2013, 06:29 PM
The app LOOKS great, but with 140K people ahead of me (and I "registered" weeks ago), it'll be 3-4 weeks before I actually get to use the app.

No thanks. I'm simply not waiting that long. Poor roll out, IMHO.

Mike84
Feb 7, 2013, 07:05 PM
I have noticed that the numbers in front of me are moving much faster. Perhaps they are slowly increasing the speed of people with access.

Tmelon
Feb 7, 2013, 07:28 PM
65,000 in front of me. Looks like I'm one of the early ones. :D

BlueParadox
Feb 7, 2013, 07:47 PM
While I really like the interface of this app, I think this waiting-in-line method to sign-up is a load of crap. At the end of the day it's simply a dreadful and disrespectful way to create some (much needed) hype by having people regularly check their progress, as well as generating some word of mouth publicity.

As someone wrote on twitter early - this will probably be the most quickly deleted app ever. And it's now gone from my phone. Simply not worth it.

kugino
Feb 7, 2013, 08:54 PM
i still think sparrow is notifications short of being the perfect email app for me...i use it with the boxcar notifications workaround and it's been great. interested to try out mailbox, but not that optimistic...

robloomis
Feb 7, 2013, 09:00 PM
I signed up for the waiting list last month, but couldn't find my code anywhere (I'd forgotten that they sent it in a text message). So I just got into the end of the line when I downloaded the app. Now that I've found my reservation code, there doesn't appear to be any way to enter it once you've entered the queue. I've tried deleting/reinstalling and that didn't work. Any ideas?

Same boat as you man! Sucky.

UPDATE:
Figured out how to enter it again per the instructions above.... still 177K back.

whynot83706
Feb 7, 2013, 09:22 PM
So many in front if me...

verniesgarden
Feb 7, 2013, 09:36 PM
So many in front if me...

quit bragging :p

haruhiko
Feb 7, 2013, 09:49 PM
I reserved mine weeks ago and it said there were 20,000 people ahead of me. Today I put in my reservation info and it says 250,000 ahead of me. Um... Ok?

Yes. That's crazy.

mrsir2009
Feb 7, 2013, 09:54 PM

Invest in a VPN ;)

maxosx
Feb 7, 2013, 10:03 PM
Too bad my iPhone 5 has such a cramped little screen.

Not much room to swipe. Sounds like a good app though.

Just one more reason its time for Apple to stop thinking small :)

TwistedPain
Feb 7, 2013, 10:46 PM
So, in 10 hours the line has only moved by little more than 350 spots. That's insane.

Tea-Aholic
Feb 7, 2013, 11:16 PM
Did anyone notice that the girl in the video is using an iPhone 5 but then she puts an iPhone 4/4S in her back pocket?

daneoni
Feb 7, 2013, 11:24 PM
448k people in line. No thanks, i'm not that desperate for a new mail app and rerouting through your servers is already sketchy enough.

Maybe next time launch when you're actually ready.

*Deletes app*

Carlanga
Feb 7, 2013, 11:34 PM
sigh another email app paying for advertising w/out being called advertising. :rolleyes:

amundln
Feb 8, 2013, 01:22 AM
Seriously, it's not like you actually have to STAND in the line! Just leave the app on your phone, allow push notifications, and it will notify you when it's ready.

I think this take on email is really interesting, and the app seems really well thought out. I'm sure it's not perfect, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

iampaulb
Feb 8, 2013, 02:05 AM
Seriously, it's not like you actually have to STAND in the line! Just leave the app on your phone, allow push notifications, and it will notify you when it's ready

+1 Totally what i was thinking. Mine is sitting on my phone, when its ready its ready. Mail.app does me just fine for the time being

Dominicanyor
Feb 8, 2013, 03:18 AM
It looks cool!!

Steve121178
Feb 8, 2013, 03:58 AM
Yeah, ummm no thanks. I'm not handing over my GMail username and password. While the app looks nice, does it support multiple accounts, unified inbox, etc.? It didn't look like it. Sparrow and the GMail app are still my top picks.

How do you think authentication works when you sign/log into anything?

JaySoul
Feb 8, 2013, 03:59 AM
Quite clever, this whole having to wait for 400,000 other people first nonsense.

Steve121178
Feb 8, 2013, 04:02 AM
The app LOOKS great, but with 140K people ahead of me (and I "registered" weeks ago), it'll be 3-4 weeks before I actually get to use the app.

No thanks. I'm simply not waiting that long. Poor roll out, IMHO.

It's a sensible roll-out. Gradually increasing the users/load on their servers is the best way to handle something like this. Letting millions of users sign up at once and then find your infrastructure can't cope would be a PR disaster.

I don't like this "give it to me now" culture. I have been following this app's development for months. I am 307,000 in line and I'm happy to wait. When I can eventually use the app they'll have ironed out any issues & optimised a few things, so yeah, happy to wait.

GoCubsGo
Feb 8, 2013, 04:04 AM
Pro tip: don't **** with users who can leave reviews in the App Store.

People clearly won't or can't manage reviewing the app, they're just outraged by the "line."

I'm just curious about using their servers. Makes me wonder.

Nirho
Feb 8, 2013, 04:19 AM
i'm 490,185 in line.
i looks like it takes more than a minute to until i advance 1 place, but lets assume 1 min.
so it's 8169 hours.
340 days...
:eek:

Abazigal
Feb 8, 2013, 04:55 AM
i'm 490,185 in line.
i looks like it takes more than a minute to until i advance 1 place, but lets assume 1 min.
so it's 8169 hours.
340 days...
:eek:
I have moved more than 50,000 spots in half a day. At this rate, I should be in after 4-5 days?

cakedandgreen
Feb 8, 2013, 06:21 AM
254,476 in front
259,493 behind

I have enough patience to wait this one out, because if it is going to help me organise the 'clusterfox' that is my email inbox, I am happy to follow the path they have in place. People mouthing off should understand that this is how a heap of successful platforms start these days. Gmail did it, as did Dropbox, Spotify, Evernote... etc. It is just a smart way to launch without hassle.

Sorry that my first post is a grumble!

HAPPY FRIDAY! :)

Tulani
Feb 8, 2013, 06:37 AM
Any lucky person to have beat the queue and already logged on to give us a review?

xraydoc
Feb 8, 2013, 06:52 AM
It's a sensible roll-out. Gradually increasing the users/load on their servers is the best way to handle something like this. Letting millions of users sign up at once and then find your infrastructure can't cope would be a PR disaster.

I don't like this "give it to me now" culture. I have been following this app's development for months. I am 307,000 in line and I'm happy to wait. When I can eventually use the app they'll have ironed out any issues & optimised a few things, so yeah, happy to wait.

And this isn't a PR problem? Build up hype around an app, put it up for download, then make people wait weeks (?) to actually use it? There's 140+K people in "line" and with one to two allowed in per minute - with no communication from the developers - we could be in for a very long wait. I'm supposed to wait how long to use a free email client?? Sure at some point it'll go faster, but a little communication from the developer (beyond their high-priced demo video) would be nice.

I would have preferred to pay for a service that was up and running when it was advertised to me. Run a closed beta test, if you must, but I'm not going to wait for it once it's "released". You have my attention... Lose it at your own risk.

Regardless of it all, I am the customer and I'm allowed to complain. They're offering something that right now they have no way of delivering. I have every right to walk away and grumble about their product.

dma550
Feb 8, 2013, 06:59 AM
Bah, no exchange support :(

Steve121178
Feb 8, 2013, 07:02 AM
And this isn't a PR problem? Build up hype around an app, put it up for download, then make people wait weeks (?) to actually use it? There's 140+K people in "line" and with one to two allowed in per minute - with no communication from the developers - we could be in for a very long wait. I'm supposed to wait how long to use a free email client?? Sure at some point it'll go faster, but a little communication from the developer (beyond their high-priced demo video) would be nice.

I would have preferred to pay for a service that was up and running when it was advertised to me. Run a closed beta test, if you must, but I'm not going to wait for it once it's "released". You have my attention... Lose it at your own risk.

Regardless of it all, I am the customer and I'm allowed to complain. They're offering something that right now they have no way of delivering. I have every right to walk away and grumble about their product.

They are building up demand. People always want something that they haven't got. They are a relatively small developer and they have to be admired for what they are doing.

You carry on moaning, kicking and screaming because you haven't got it. I'll just wait for the notification saying I can now login.

It really isn't life & death...

----------

I just hope they remain independent and don't become sell-outs like Sparrow. If this app is good as it appears to be I'm sure the likes of Google will be preparing a bid to bring their talent in-house.

JaySoul
Feb 8, 2013, 07:13 AM

This...

They are building up demand. People always want something that they haven't got. They are a relatively small developer and they have to be admired for what they are doing.

You carry on moaning, kicking and screaming because you haven't got it. I'll just wait for the notification saying I can now login.

It really isn't life & death...

----------

I just hope they remain independent and don't become sell-outs like Sparrow. If this app is good as it appears to be I'm sure the likes of Google will be preparing a bid to bring their talent in-house.

And this.

Burton8219
Feb 8, 2013, 07:45 AM
From all b1tching I've seen on here and other boards people are getting pissed cause there's one big difference between how Spotify, GMail, Etc. did their rollouts and how Mailbox is doing their rollout. The big difference is that you actually see a number with Mailbox.

There's something about actually seeing how long you have before you can get it that is pissing people off from what I can see. If they just had a screen saying they'll let you know when you're number is up I think there would be less of this nonsense. Only on the Internet would people complain about having to wait to pay nothing for something.

GoCubsGo
Feb 8, 2013, 07:52 AM
From all b1tching I've seen on here and other boards people are getting pissed cause there's one big difference between how Spotify, GMail, Etc. did their rollouts and how Mailbox is doing their rollout. The big difference is that you actually see a number with Mailbox.

There's something about actually seeing how long you have before you can get it that is pissing people off from what I can see. If they just had a screen saying they'll let you know when you're number is up I think there would be less of this nonsense. Only on the Internet would people complain about having to wait to pay nothing for something.

Nope, pretty sure they'd still be pissed. People don't like being told no, it's human nature. I simply don't get why there has to be an invite system. If they worked it like Sparrow they would be fine.

tigres
Feb 8, 2013, 07:57 AM
Gmail only kills it for me.

spinkb
Feb 8, 2013, 08:04 AM
528,955 people in front, 1200 behind...

Ouch. :(

SouthBeachMac
Feb 8, 2013, 08:25 AM
Seems line is moving much faster today...now moving at a rate of approximately 12 spots per minute.

Burton8219
Feb 8, 2013, 08:28 AM
Nope, pretty sure they'd still be pissed. People don't like being told no, it's human nature. I simply don't get why there has to be an invite system. If they worked it like Sparrow they would be fine.
This app has way more hype than Sparrow did... 500k+ people flooding their servers at once would definitely put them down. You're also forgetting Mailbox is doing push from the start where you need to JB your phone to even get push on Sparrow. That's a huge difference.

That's also why there needs to be a rollout like this... Their servers prior to release probably only had max 200 or so people pulling from their servers. They need to see how their servers hold up while they're rolling out. People who have never run before don't enter the NYC marathon right off the bat. It's not like there aren't capable alternatives for you to use while you wait your turn.

Razeus
Feb 8, 2013, 08:33 AM
Wow. I moved 200 places since I loaded it up. 200 places in 18 hours... 178k more to go...:eek:

2ndchancephones
Feb 8, 2013, 08:42 AM
Seriously, it's not like you actually have to STAND in the line! Just leave the app on your phone, allow push notifications, and it will notify you when it's ready.

I think this take on email is really interesting, and the app seems really well thought out. I'm sure it's not perfect, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

I'm with you....I don't understand. Kind of short sighted----if I can't get it NOW then it must be garbage and I don't want it.

It must be the whole instant gratification thing...lol

derek4484
Feb 8, 2013, 08:46 AM
Why would I route all my emails through their servers when the iPhone native email app already handles all of my work and personal email accounts and puts the messages into one unified inbox? I think the native email app in iOS is pretty darn good.

2ndchancephones
Feb 8, 2013, 08:48 AM
Seems line is moving much faster today...now moving at a rate of approximately 12 spots per minute.

your right....it is really moving now. Only 18k to go!

derek4484
Feb 8, 2013, 08:50 AM
If this app's GUI is an omen to what's to come in iOS... Wow! Yes, please! The dialogue boxes are gorgeous!

You mean they look just like Android's Jelly Bean dont you? The menu list looks identical to the menu list in Google + app. And the dialogue boxes are not that great, they're plain grey with white text, just like a lot of stuff in Jelly Bean. I dont care for this app that much.

smithrh
Feb 8, 2013, 09:14 AM
Any lucky person to have beat the queue and already logged on to give us a review?

There are plenty of reviews if you venture beyond MacRumors - the developers seeded quite a few people with it for months now, and the embargo was lifted yesterday...

iJon
Feb 8, 2013, 09:21 AM
I want to get excited about this app but without IMAP support, it will be real hard.

I don't want to have 2 apps to check my iCloud account and Google Apps account.

dma550
Feb 8, 2013, 09:24 AM
Gmail only kills it for me.

Yeah, it's too bad. Is there any talk of exchange support?

Burton8219
Feb 8, 2013, 09:26 AM
Yeah, it's too bad. Is there any talk of exchange support?
They said they're gonna add other platforms (including Exchange) in the future... When that'll be, who knows, but at least it's on their list.

Razeus
Feb 8, 2013, 10:19 AM
They said they're gonna add other platforms (including Exchange) in the future... When that'll be, who knows, but at least it's on their list.

By the time they add it, you'll finally be able to use the app. :D

John.B
Feb 8, 2013, 10:19 AM

Because being on the internet means you should give every Tom/Dick/Harry access to your personal emails, contacts, bank accounts, etc? Get over yourself already, some people go to great lengths to be as secure as possible. I guess the rest of you trust Google and whatever hot startup is able to create the latest hype whirlwind.

iMcLovin
Feb 8, 2013, 10:24 AM
With this speed I'm gonna have the pleasure of using this app in about 6 months+ or so. Now that's impressive!

Cayennr
Feb 8, 2013, 10:29 AM
With this speed I'm gonna have the pleasure of using this app in about 6 months+ or so. Now that's impressive!

It's ridiculous. It's a nice-looking and (probably) productive app, but this roll-out is kinda dumb. (Yeah, I know servers and stuff.)

I already deleted the app.

nburwell
Feb 8, 2013, 10:33 AM

I love that I now have an app on my phone which is pretty much pointless since I can't use it until my reservation comes.

With that said, I have 189K people in front of me. I may actually get to use this app before the end of 2013! :rolleyes:

dukebound85
Feb 8, 2013, 10:35 AM

no kidding. it has only decreased by a few thousand in the 24hrs ive had it

367k in front
186k behind

sgood7401
Feb 8, 2013, 10:46 AM
It's ridiculous. It's a nice-looking and (probably) productive app, but this roll-out is kinda dumb. (Yeah, I know servers and stuff.)

I already deleted the app.

Thanks! I will be getting the app way quicker now.

vtstarck
Feb 8, 2013, 10:53 AM
Yesterday around 1pm the invites in front of me were decreasing by about 1 per minute. Three hours ago that rate had increased to 12 per minute (1 invite every 5 seconds). A few minutes ago that rate increased to 15 per minute (1 invite every 4 seconds).

At the current pace, they would be through all outsanding invites (555,000) in 25 days. My guess is they'll be through the backlog quicker than that as the pace continues to increase.

Razeus
Feb 8, 2013, 11:11 AM
LOL, you'd figured they have more servers by now or leased them.

I expected to see my number dropping my at least 1,000 an hour. It's bascially 10 an hour.

Too the back page it goes to be forgotten about with non removable Apple apps.:(

madmaxmedia
Feb 8, 2013, 12:02 PM
Last night I was around 3200, I notice at some point it stopped for the night.

This morning I was in. My Gmail queue is like 18,000, so it will take me awhile to get to 'inbox zero'. ;) Probably I will just mass archive everything over 2 days old, and start fresh.

I imagine the rollout rate will slowly start increasing. They said they built the service to scale, but wanted to start slow to sort out any kinks at first.

If you are interested, just sign up and forget about it, it's not like you have to sit in a waiting room.

This app will be much more valuable to me when they add support for other IMAP accounts.

Mad Mac Maniac
Feb 8, 2013, 12:18 PM
That is how rollouts work! It starts out slowly and then it starts exponentially increasing. Maybe it moves 1,000 a day now.... then 5,000 a day on week two... then 15,000 a day on week three.... then 40,000 a day on week four...

I give it 2 months max before the reservation system is completely gone and all have instant access. All these people talking about (I won't get it for a year!!... )

Edit: Case and point.

My first 20 hours with the app, I moved up 1,694 spots in line. Rate of 1.4 per minute

The next 4 hours with the app, I moved up 3,656 spots in line. Rate of 15.2 per minute.

finalcut
Feb 8, 2013, 12:30 PM
for those who want similar features, Taskbox mail is in sale 0.99$ instead of the normal 6.99$.

HeyGreggie
Feb 8, 2013, 12:39 PM
Hopefully they move these folks out of the way for me prior to Sunday http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/09/ygavyju2.jpg

PBF
Feb 8, 2013, 12:41 PM

Press and hold the Mailbox icon on the counter screen.

----------

HeyGreggie
Feb 8, 2013, 12:41 PM
A lot of progress though between this time yesterday and today though...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/09/e2eba6as.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/09/2ute3anu.jpg

that1guyy
Feb 8, 2013, 12:58 PM
Man I thought I reserved my place a long time ago for this. Still close to 200k people ahead of me.

Tankmaze
Feb 8, 2013, 01:07 PM
still 254.417 people in front of me... by this rate i'm going to use the app probably next month.

but cheers for the app, really eager to use it. :apple:

iThinkIt
Feb 8, 2013, 01:46 PM
577359 in front.... :rolleyes:

150 behind

I understand no imap?? guess i wont be using it until them....

Update: DELETED

curmudgeon32
Feb 8, 2013, 02:23 PM
They've stated that it will architect a folder structure in your gmail account that will be visible through browser access. I don't remember exactly what the setup will be, but there will be some sort of interaction with normal gmail login (say from a computer) apart from the iOS app. Aha. I'm guessing they'll be offering some kind of interface through their site through which you'll be able to view your Gmail inbox. Interesting — thanks for the tip!

Prince Akeem
Feb 8, 2013, 02:26 PM
This app requires iOS 6. #developerfail...

Tyler23
Feb 8, 2013, 02:32 PM
People keep saying no IMAP. Now, I am the furthest thing from an e-mail specialist..

But I have a gmail account, and when I look at my account in my standard Mac Mail app on my computer, it shows my account being a Google IMAP address, and of course it's an @gmail.com account.

So will this email work with Mailbox? Remember, I know absolutely nothing about how any of this works.

madmaxmedia
Feb 8, 2013, 04:09 PM

So far, it's pretty much just as advertised- if the video looked interesting/intriguing then you should enjoy this app. The core design of the app works just as advertised- when you can single swipe to delete/archive/snooze/put in a list, you blow through your emails much quicker. It's also easy to snooze an item until later, and you can decide how long the snooze period is in the settings. You can also snooze something until weekend, which is nice.

The lists system is interesting and better than I thought. You can totally customize the names of your lists, and have as many as you want. Mailbox creates a [Mailbox] label in your Gmail, and then creates sublists based on your custom-created lists. You can see all of this in the web Gmail.

So what I am going to do is rename/move some of my existing lists to fit the Mailbox scheme, should only take a minute in web Gmail and will always be reversible.

I had 18,000 unread messages before, when I first started Mailbox asked me if I wanted to archive everything to start. After reviewing the days emails, I went ahead and did it. Prior to this I also unsuscribed about 10 email newsletters that were contributing to that large unread number.

With the app is really quite easy to get to 'inbox zero'. It's almost fun like a game, whereas before with web gmail or Mail.app I would just leave emails sitting because it took too much effort to get rid of them.

I am looking forward to the day we can add other IMAP accounts.

----------
People keep saying no IMAP. Now, I am the furthest thing from an e-mail specialist..

But I have a gmail account, and when I look at my account in my standard Mac Mail app on my computer, it shows my account being a Google IMAP address, and of course it's an @gmail.com account.

So will this email work with Mailbox? Remember, I know absolutely nothing about how any of this works.

Gmail works, it's the only email that works with Mailbox.

OTHER email accounts (IMAP, Exchange, whatever) don't work now, but apparently they will be adding them later.

----------
A lot of progress though between this time yesterday and today though...

I imagine you will get Monday or Tuesday at the absolute latest, depending on whether they are activating new users over the weekend.

whsbuss
Feb 8, 2013, 04:41 PM
When the backlog is finished, MAYBE I'll try this again. Its just a game they created to see how much interest this app generated..... dumb!

HeyGreggie
Feb 8, 2013, 05:04 PM
They are moving pretty fast. The long swipe to delete will take getting used to

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/09/u9yva6as.jpg

madmaxmedia
Feb 8, 2013, 05:25 PM
They are moving pretty fast. The long swipe to delete will take getting used to

My recommendation is to review the last day or so emails to make sure you aren't missing anything, then just archive everything at once. Trust me- you will feel great once you do.

I would actually like to see them slightly shorten the distance of the delete swipe. Right now if you swipe from about 1/3 from the left edge of the screen, you can't swipe long enough to reach delete. So just make it a little shorter, just a fine tuning thing.

jrodsep
Feb 8, 2013, 06:17 PM

----------

I'm so mad right now. I had to do a full restore on my phone and when I did i re-entered the reservation code (33,090) and now it won't accept the code back, it says "reservation code not valid". Now waiting to get a response from Orchestra, which will not come for a couple of days. :mad::mad::mad:

nutmac
Feb 8, 2013, 06:46 PM
While I agree with their engineering decision, it is poorly executed PR wise.

The app should have been launched with (1) "beta" tag firmly in place, (2) give at least a rough conservative estimate as to when user is expected to get the spot, and (3) demo mode so that user can get some idea as to how the app will work.

charlituna
Feb 8, 2013, 09:09 PM
How do you think authentication works when you sign/log into anything?

He's talking about the fact we are being asked to hand over this information to total strangers. Who could abuse their access.

Like say test all these accounts to see who has their gmail as an apple id, amazon id, twitter account etc. with access to someone's mailbox you can cause a lot of mischief. And since all emails are going through them first it would be easy to keep you from seeing the reset emails until its too late.

Case in point: Mat Honan (http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/08/apple-amazon-mat-honan-hacking/all/)

Burton8219
Feb 8, 2013, 09:18 PM
He's talking about the fact we are being asked to hand over this information to total strangers. Who could abuse their access.

Like say test all these accounts to see who has their gmail as an apple id, amazon id, twitter account etc. with access to someone's mailbox you can cause a lot of mischief. And since all emails are going through them first it would be easy to keep you from seeing the reset emails until its too late.

Case in point: Mat Honan (http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/08/apple-amazon-mat-honan-hacking/all/)
To be fair... If Mat Honan had 2-Step on that all could have been avoided. You have to take some steps to protect yourself as well.

charlituna
Feb 8, 2013, 09:19 PM

Was Sparrow routing all messages through a second server that could bottleneck and even crash.

atteligibility
Feb 9, 2013, 01:02 AM

Assuming you want to try to understand (unlike most people who complain about marketing hype without even trying to understand...):
- Everything could be summarize in: Sparrow was an app, Mailbox is a service.
- Sparrow was doing what most email clients were doing: the app on the phone would call the gmail servers when you used the app, nothing else in between. Therefore even if a million people downloaded the app on the first day, the download was made from Apple server, and then the app would connect to Google, no Sparrow server in the middle.
- Mailbox has an app, but the whole thing is a service: think of mailbox servers as a personal assistant, it moves stuff out of your inbox to snooze them, then later access your gmail inbox to replace the snoozed messages. That happens when your app is not even open. The work is done on Mailbox servers. That is a HUGE difference with the way sparrow works
- There isn't a company in the world that can go from 0 users to a million users in a few hours, with the million users sending and receiving hundreds of emails a day, and handle that without a server overloading. Think of those large companies (Apple, AT&T...) when you can start placing orders at 2 in the morning for the new iPhone. Even their millions of dollars and years of experience doesn't prevent the servers from crashing...
- So in order to get things to work smoothly, Mailbox decided to open the access to users progressively, correcting problems as they come and eventually let people in faster and faster when things go smoothly
- With the app store, you can't just make the app available to a thousand users, then another thousand, etc... when you give access to an app, everybody has access. Mailbox had no other way than to let everybody get the app, but not everybody getting the service from day 1.
- Was they didn't do so well, was to explain what I just explained, and for some reasons, lot of people seems to complain about the waiting list to "download the app", when there isn't. The waiting list is to access the service that they're running on their servers.
- On a technical standpoint, the rollout is a brilliant. They just ****ed up in communicating why this was necessary

----------

From their site:

I dunno, with so many users I don't think that'll be a sustainable business model. It depends on how much server processing they're doing and how cheaply they can scale, though.

I'm going to try it on a temporary password.

EDIT: According to the Verge, they're using OAuth2 to integrate with Gmail (which doesn't store your password). That's more reassuring.

The business model is pretty standard in the tech world, not sure what seems to confuse some of you:
- They had an idea, they were going to charge a few dollars for it, hoping they could get 100,000+ users
- They created a video, and surprise, a million people watched it and found it brilliant
- Change of strategy: **** it, forget about the 100k users, make it free, try to reach the magic million users mark, and sell the business to Google for $20 millions

it's not rocket science...

----------

Who really uses archive functionality?

who doesn't?

Not sure how you use your inbox, but lot of people (if not most) want to keep in their inbox only the emails that need to be processed in some way (to be replied, to take action from, unread emails...), and file the rest of the emails in a different place where they can still be searched.
How do you achieve that without archiving?

The same way when you get 10 letters in the mail, some need to take actions (bills...), they would stay in your inbox, while some you may want to keep but don't require any action in the near future...

iMcLovin
Feb 9, 2013, 02:21 AM
So since this app only supports gmail and not imap - will it support email accounts all ready imported into gmail? I have my company email going through gmail. If those wont be readable with this app it's useless to me.

tigres
Feb 9, 2013, 07:49 AM
I'd be interested to see exactly how they will pull off IMAP & Exchange support.
If they think for a moment users are going to hand off their logins and passwords to pipe through their servers for use, they have another thing coming.

There is no way on earth anyone in business would offer up such information in order to use an application.

tevion5
Feb 9, 2013, 09:56 AM
Do more people use gmail app than the iOS mail app? If so why?

SandboxGeneral
Feb 9, 2013, 09:57 AM
Do more people use gmail app than the iOS mail app? If so why?

I use the Gmail app primarily, because I like the labels and and the easier access to all my folders (labels) and such.

I use Mail.app for another lessor used account that I want to keep separate from my Gmail account.

Bluestrike2
Feb 9, 2013, 10:29 AM

Sigh...

Mailbox authenticates with Gmail via oAuth. What that means is that when you setup Mailbox (or any other oAuth 2.0 application, such as with login via Facebook Connect or Twitter elsewhere), you're never sharing your actual login credentials with Mailbox's servers. Instead, you're talking directly to Google's authentication system, where you're acknowledging Mailbox's request for a limited-scope access token that's expressly tied to the requesting application (in this case, Mailbox).

At no point in the oAuth process is your password handed over to the requesting application. As a result, your concerns about the credentials being used to test other accounts are a non-concern, precisely because they don't have them in the first place.

Could someone abuse oAuth access? Certainly, limited to the confines of the access granted (in this case, access to your emails). But you can also revoke their access with but a single click in your Google account. While you're there, you should also probably setup two-factor authentication as well.

Aside from that, as a strategy goes, it's a fairly poor one. Setting aside the realities of how oAuth + Mailbox work and assuming your scenario played out en masse (which it would), it'd be relatively easy for it to be traced back to Mailbox. First, most large companies monitor transactional email performance. That includes openings. As a result, when it starts to leak out that large numbers of accounts have been accessed and their passwords reset, it'd be relatively easy to determine that there's something funny going on when people say they never receive them, they're not in spam folders, but the emails are tracked as having been opened and the reset links clicked.

Beyond that, given Orchestra's relatively high visibility, there's an inherent danger for them. Coupled with the previous point, the large user base would simply serve to increase the likelihood that someone, somewhere, would figure it out. As a result, the likelihood of even short-term success goes down significantly. Finally, the people behind Orchestra are well-known. More than that, even something as simple as their Apple Developer accounts require tax-identification numbers. Point being, there's a rather overt paper trail leading all the way back to them.

As a conspiracy theory, yours isn't a very good one. oAuth makes it impossible, and common sense undermines even the theoretical musings behind it. If Orchestra wants to make money, they're far better off in both the short and long-term building a quality service.

Burton8219
Feb 9, 2013, 10:37 AM
Crazy to see the demand of this app, but have to say it is worth it for me. Might seem a little gimmicky to some but seeing that inbox zero really keeps me on top of organizing my email. Hope you all get in soon.

Abazigal
Feb 9, 2013, 10:40 AM
Still about 300k people in front. Current pace seems to be ~80k spots in 1.5 days.

TwistedPain
Feb 9, 2013, 12:34 PM
It's been 48 hours since my first screenshot. Originally the count was at:

73,230 ahead of me and 187,502 behind me.

Current average rate of the line is : 8.85 people per minute. Finally speeding up!

ipodlover77
Feb 9, 2013, 01:26 PM
It's been 48 hours since my first screenshot. Originally the count was at:

73,230 ahead of me and 187,502 behind me.

Current average rate of the line is : 8.85 people per minute. Finally speeding up!

I guess it got slightly slower. Last night it was roughly 15 per minute.

TwistedPain
Feb 9, 2013, 02:41 PM
I guess it got slightly slower. Last night it was roughly 15 per minute.

It may actually still be 15 per minute. My 8.85 was total average since 48 hours ago.

Seems to be going at 16 per minute ATM.

irDigital0l
Feb 9, 2013, 03:44 PM
35,910 in front

623,077 with behind

its going like 20-30 per min now.

Tulani
Feb 9, 2013, 05:10 PM
35,910 in front

623,077 with behind

Any luck yet?

TwistedPain
Feb 9, 2013, 06:08 PM
35,910 in front

623,077 with behind

20-30 per minute? Is it just a guestimate? Cause I just averaged out 17 per minute for the last 5 minutes...which means at most I should have two more days of wait time. Unless some catastrophic failure happens on their end.

irDigital0l
Feb 9, 2013, 06:13 PM
20-30 per minute? Is it just a guestimate? Cause I just averaged out 17 per minute for the last 5 minutes...which means at most I should have two more days of wait time. Unless some catastrophic failure happens on their end.

No, it was going that fast when I posted a couple hours ago.

Now its back to about 15.

jrodsep
Feb 9, 2013, 07:25 PM
2,389 on front. Looks like I'm gonna start using this app tonight.

TwistedPain
Feb 9, 2013, 08:15 PM
2,389 on front. Looks like I'm gonna start using this app tonight.

Congrats, tell us how you like it. :)

Bawstun
Feb 9, 2013, 08:51 PM
Yes, please do. I've been looking for more thorough reviews of this app.

A few days ago I was at 325,000 in front...now it's at 294,000. :(

atteligibility
Feb 9, 2013, 09:35 PM
I have been using the app since this morning, here are a few points:

- Looks good, animations are good, easy on the eye...

- I was already trying to get to almost inbox zero, and the shortcuts in the app definitely helps

- Push notifications are FAST, phone vibrates before my desktop shows the new email, they're doing a good job there

- One major problem for me is the badge. You have the choice between using the badge to show number of items in inbox (includes read, unread, new, old, everything) or use the badge to show "1" when you have unread emails. Yes, "1", whether you have 1 or 5 unread emails, it will just show "1". It's not a bug, it is presented that way... Also, the badge number, even if you use it to display the number of items in inbox, doesn't sync instantly if you process your emails on the desktop
I want my badge to show me number of unread emails. You can't do that. Especially if you use a desktop email client, the app has no awareness (when it is closed) of the number of unread emails, so the badge can't update with the correct numbers. In fact, even if you read all your emails on your desktop, the badge will remain at "1".
We know, from Sparrow's attempts, that Apple doesn't let a third party email app poll emails in the background when the app is closed, so that explains it, but that needs to change. Until this is possible, we won't have a perfect sync of the badge until we launch the app, and that just ruins everything. I hate to open the app because the badge shows a number, then to see I have no new emails.

- Another problem is the fact that there isn't a desktop app. Yes, archiving emails or snooze them will make them disappear from your inbox even on the desktop. However, the problem is that this app forces you, or at least greatly encourages you, to adopt a new workflow to process incoming emails. You either archive them, put them in a list, snooze them or delete them. It's all about the workflow. However, it's impossible to have the same workflow once you're on the desktop, no snooze possible there. So you're back to the old way of (not) organizing things when you're back on the desktop. To me it's a big problem. If I decide of a workflow to organize my emails, I want to be able to use that workflow in all the places where I access email.
- No landscape

So to summarize, it is a very good first iteration, but I am not sure I will keep using it as my main email app until:
- There is a desktop Mac app and an iPad app for me to use the same workflow on all my devices. Otherwise it is just silly to write my emails on one device, and organize them on another, it's too complex
- Apple lets this and other email app poll the servers in the background and update the badge. I can't get myself to use an email app with an out of sync badge
- few other improvements...

atteligibility
Feb 9, 2013, 09:54 PM
I have been using the app since this morning, here are a few points:

- Looks good, animations are good, easy on the eye...

- I was already trying to get to almost inbox zero, and the shortcuts in the app definitely helps

- Push notifications are FAST, phone vibrates before my desktop shows the new email, they're doing a good job there

- One major problem for me is the badge. You have the choice between using the badge to show number of items in inbox (includes read, unread, new, old, everything) or use the badge to show "1" when you have unread emails. Yes, "1", whether you have 1 or 5 unread emails, it will just show "1". It's not a bug, it is presented that way... Also, the badge number, even if you use it to display the number of items in inbox, doesn't sync instantly if you process your emails on the desktop
I want my badge to show me number of unread emails. You can't do that. Especially if you use a desktop email client, the app has no awareness (when it is closed) of the number of unread emails, so the badge can't update with the correct numbers. In fact, even if you read all your emails on your desktop, the badge will remain at "1".
We know, from Sparrow's attempts, that Apple doesn't let a third party email app poll emails in the background when the app is closed, so that explains it, but that needs to change. Until this is possible, we won't have a perfect sync of the badge until we launch the app, and that just ruins everything. I hate to open the app because the badge shows a number, then to see I have no new emails.

- Another problem is the fact that there isn't a desktop app. Yes, archiving emails or snooze them will make them disappear from your inbox even on the desktop. However, the problem is that this app forces you, or at least greatly encourages you, to adopt a new workflow to process incoming emails. You either archive them, put them in a list, snooze them or delete them. It's all about the workflow. However, it's impossible to have the same workflow once you're on the desktop, no snooze possible there. So you're back to the old way of (not) organizing things when you're back on the desktop. To me it's a big problem. If I decide of a workflow to organize my emails, I want to be able to use that workflow in all the places where I access email.
- No landscape

So to summarize, it is a very good first iteration, but I am not sure I will keep using it as my main email app until:
- There is a desktop Mac app and an iPad app for me to use the same workflow on all my devices. Otherwise it is just silly to write my emails on one device, and organize them on another, it's too complex
- Apple lets this and other email app poll the servers in the background and update the badge. I can't get myself to use an email app with an out of sync badge
- few other improvements...

Quick update on the testing:
- If you use the badge for number if items in the inbox, and not unread emails, the badge seems to stay better in sync, even if you archive stuff on the desktop. Not sure it is 100% reliable yet, but the badge does seem to decrease when you archive stuff on the desktop, even when the app is not running, cool.
- However, that's the only badge option that works
- If you're like me and hate to have a non zero badge, this forces you more into their workflow of moving everything out of the inbox, which again, can be don nicely with their app, but only on the iPhone.

scapegoat81
Feb 10, 2013, 12:11 PM

Lol. Well put my friend. I uninstalled the minute I found out my mail gets pushed through their servers. Thanks but no thanks. I hope Apple buys them out & polishes it

irDigital0l
Feb 10, 2013, 05:22 PM
should be 1 more day!

edit: now its at 16,955

lls4f
Feb 10, 2013, 05:38 PM
For those who use gmail labels: I have one label where the emails from a certain address go straight to that label folder and skip the inbox, but they stay unread so that I get a notification about them. Will this app give you a push notification for those emails? That's the deal maker or breaker for my email needs and I haven't seen anyone address how it handles label notifications.

Asherpotter
Feb 11, 2013, 01:57 AM
Lol. Well put my friend. I uninstalled the minute I found out my mail gets pushed through their servers. Thanks but no thanks. I hope Apple buys them out & polishes it
Since when is software ever bought out AND polished?

Bluestrike2
Feb 11, 2013, 07:01 AM
For those who use gmail labels: I have one label where the emails from a certain address go straight to that label folder and skip the inbox, but they stay unread so that I get a notification about them. Will this app give you a push notification for those emails? That's the deal maker or breaker for my email needs and I haven't seen anyone address how it handles label notifications.

You shouldn't have an issue. Worst case, you should be fine by simply renaming the label in question to "[Mailbox]/Your Filter" so that it's setup as a "list" in Mailbox as Mailbox handles all of its functions as namespaced labels in Gmail.

You may have to check the filter to make sure that it tracked the change in name, though I don't think that'd be an issue.

lls4f
Feb 11, 2013, 08:00 AM
You shouldn't have an issue. Worst case, you should be fine by simply renaming the label in question to "[Mailbox]/Your Filter" so that it's setup as a "list" in Mailbox as Mailbox handles all of its functions as namespaced labels in Gmail.

You may have to check the filter to make sure that it tracked the change in name, though I don't think that'd be an issue.

Thank you!

Bluestrike2
Feb 11, 2013, 09:01 AM
Thank you!

No problem. Hopefully it'll work out well. Enjoy ;).

mumper
Feb 11, 2013, 10:27 AM
Anyone been able to use the same code on multiple devices? Like an iPhone and an iPad?

jrodsep
Feb 11, 2013, 10:30 AM

palmerized
Feb 11, 2013, 11:58 AM
Anyone been able to use the same code on multiple devices? Like an iPhone and an iPad?

Nope. Didn't work for me. When trying to use the same code on my iPad it says it's not valid...

Razeus
Feb 11, 2013, 01:25 PM

Apple buying a developer? :rolleyes: If they were to do that, I'd point to several jailbreak devs they NEED. But that's not going to happen. iOS 7 will be more of the same. Static and boring.

jrodsep
Feb 11, 2013, 02:00 PM
Apple buying a developer? :rolleyes: If they were to do that, I'd point to several jailbreak devs they NEED. But that's not going to happen. iOS 7 will be more of the same. Static and boring.

There are a lot more Cydia developers that I would prefer to be employed by Apple than Orchestra.

If iOS 7 stays the same I will be jumping to the Nexus line or the XPhone or whatever Google stock phone is gonna be.

TwistedPain
Feb 11, 2013, 10:08 PM
Anyone notice lately that new emails don't appear right away anymore?

madmaxmedia
Feb 12, 2013, 01:16 AM
Anyone notice lately that new emails don't appear right away anymore?

I haven't noticed it so far (I've been using it for 3-4 days or so). OTOH I probably wouldn't know if sometimes emails are coming into Mailbox with occasional delay. If I noticed it I'd probably test it.

So far I really love the app. It's really weird opening my web Gmail and seeing a totally blank page!

The only suggestion I have is to slightly shorten the distance required for the delete or move to list functions. Right not you have to drag almost the entire distance, I don't think that's necessary as the feedback is pretty good on what action is going to happen. I think 2/3 length swipe is sufficient to differentiate between the 2 actions.

----------

I totally get your POV. But I am totally comfortable with the badge showing all items in the inbox, because the whole point of the app is to keep your inbox at zero, and free yourself of the mental exercise of sifting through read/unread emails. So basically every email read or unread is like a task for you to take care of now, or postpone until a later date.

I think the option to have the badge display number of unread messages is fine. But I wonder if this is one of those Apple-like design decisions, where they are basically designing an app for a certain usage workflow, and purposely impose limitations based on that workflow. As you say, the app/service forces you to use a certain workflow, but that very workflow is the entire point of the app.

The good thing is that the label system for lists and snoozed messages seems pretty well thought out to me. If you're on the desktop, you know snoozed items are labeled '[Mailbox]/Later.'

I feel like if you would prefer to keep read messages in your inbox, then other apps (like the Gmail app if you want push and full Gmail features) would probably work better for you anyway.

dma550
Feb 12, 2013, 07:55 AM
yeah, I dont mind the soft launch thing, I think it builds excitement. I so hope they don't skimp on other mail server support.

SMacDuff
Feb 13, 2013, 05:46 AM
Got mine early this morning so I had to take a screenshot ;)

ericrwalker
Feb 13, 2013, 07:15 AM

I only have 179,553.....179,550 people in front of me.

EDIT: It's moving a lot faster than it was a few days ago.

Mad Mac Maniac
Feb 13, 2013, 11:35 AM

Showoff!!!! :p

I still have 147,613 to go....... Calculating rate...... It's gotten just a bit quicker at about 20 a minute, before it was about 19 a minute

tdhurst
Feb 13, 2013, 12:37 PM
Why are people complaining about not having immediate access to this? The company's own blog explains why they're releasing it this way, and it's not like you have to do anything besides download the app, enter a code and then be notified when your number is up.

Are those people just looking to bitch about something? It's free! Who cares?

aloshka
Feb 13, 2013, 12:47 PM
Why are people complaining about not having immediate access to this? The company's own blog explains why they're releasing it this way, and it's not like you have to do anything besides download the app, enter a code and then be notified when your number is up.

Are those people just looking to bitch about something? It's free! Who cares?

LOL. Not sure, I'm not complaining, it's been insanely fast.. I have gone from 340k to 200k in 4 days. I'm just interested in how it works. Plus i kind of like the counter, just seems cool.

tdhurst
Feb 13, 2013, 12:52 PM
LOL. Not sure, I'm not complaining, it's been insanely fast.. I have gone from 340k to 200k in 4 days. I'm just interested in how it works. Plus i kind of like the counter, just seems cool.

Me too. Addicting.

madmaxmedia
Feb 13, 2013, 01:02 PM
For those who have posted about installing on multiple iOS devices, here's a tweet from the devs:

You can add Mailbox to a second device and your rez will be preserved but only if you have iCloud on both w/ same ID.

kugino
Feb 13, 2013, 03:58 PM
my wait in the queue finally ended this morning...added a couple of accounts but some gmail accounts "Failed to Authorize"...any ideas anyone?

it's weird that some are added fine...others aren't. not useable for me yet...need access to all accounts.

millerhifi
Feb 13, 2013, 07:52 PM
Well after all the wait and anticipation, #129,853 to 0, my number finally arrived today and I couldn't wait to try it out. My gmail account set up without issue and I now only have one slight problem...

I can't send any email replies! WTF... :mad:

Razeus
Feb 15, 2013, 09:40 AM
I have to wonder why you guys have so many emails? Do you guys save literally everything? I've got like 7 things in my inbox, mostly stuff I'm following up on and a couple of emails from friends about going out and what not.

Most emails, get delete or archived as they come in.

tdhurst
Feb 15, 2013, 10:03 AM
I have to wonder why you guys have so many emails? Do you guys save literally everything? I've got like 7 things in my inbox, mostly stuff I'm following up on and a couple of emails from friends about going out and what not.

Most emails, get delete or archived as they come in.

Same here, man. Sure, I save emails to folders (my version of archiving), but I don't like to let them sit in the inbox for any longer than I have to.

I don't understand, even with tags, why people bother to hold on to so much stuff.

madmaxmedia
Feb 15, 2013, 10:28 AM
A lot of it for me is email lists, etc. I've unsubscribed a lot of stuff lately and use RSS more, but still end up with various emails throughout the day, and especially when I wake up.

What happens is I don't want to delete them, but don't want to read them at the moment. So over time my inbox just started building up. Its the wrong way to do things, because then you lose track of emails you do want to leave in the inbox and really get to later, but those get lost.

So Mailbox is like training wheels for people who can't manage their gmail as well as you. ;-)

dukebound85
Feb 15, 2013, 10:30 AM
Same here, man. Sure, I save emails to folders (my version of archiving), but I don't like to let them sit in the inbox for any longer than I have to.

I don't understand, even with tags, why people bother to hold on to so much stuff.

And I don't understand why people don't hold onto everything as space is not a concern.

Razeus
Feb 15, 2013, 02:07 PM
A lot of it for me is email lists, etc. I've unsubscribed a lot of stuff lately and use RSS more, but still end up with various emails throughout the day, and especially when I wake up.

What happens is I don't want to delete them, but don't want to read them at the moment. So over time my inbox just started building up. Its the wrong way to do things, because then you lose track of emails you do want to leave in the inbox and really get to later, but those get lost.

So Mailbox is like training wheels for people who can't manage their gmail as well as you. ;-)

What's to manage?

Email from friends: read, keep in Inbox until after the conversation is done or event passes and people exchange photos. Then archive,.

Email from stores/websites/newsletters: Read. Delete. Unsubscribe if I find they send too many coupons or emails.

Email from personal business: read, provide info, keep until business is done. Archive.

LeiQQ
Feb 15, 2013, 02:16 PM
Well said. Very uncomfortable. I'll pass, but cool idea. I hope google or apple make this kind of layout native in the mail/gmail iOS apps.

Me too. Although the swiping features sound interesting to me and I would use them, I just don't feel comfortable with yet another method of data raping.

millerhifi
Feb 15, 2013, 02:23 PM
I can't get the app to function properly anyways. I'm about to toss out!

iMcLovin
Feb 18, 2013, 02:36 PM
I was really eager to try it out. Probably because if the hype and waiting queue. But after 2 days I went back to the native app and removed mailbox.
Why?
1. It's a very different way of handling emails than mail on any Mac or pc. I don't like keeping my inbox empty of emails that are read or answered. My inbox is for the latest emails that I'd like to keep track of, even if I won't send a reply. I don't want to archive everything... Email is not a todo list and I have unread as a way to remind me if I need to pay extra attention or reply to an email. Archive is for everything that is not important in any way anymore.

2. Every email app except the native one has to download emails after you get the notification - when you open the app. And I hate that

3. Where are my labels?

It's a nice looking app though, it's just not my cup of tea.

sashaa
Feb 19, 2013, 02:29 PM
I find using mailbox app with my Mac’s mail app to be quite confusing.

Just a quick question, where do “completed” items go? There is no “archive” folder in the Mail.app...

Any ideas how I can quickly get 'archived from Mailbox app' emails?

Many thanks.

Mad Mac Maniac
Feb 20, 2013, 12:22 PM
1. It's a very different way of handling emails than mail on any Mac or pc. I don't like keeping my inbox empty of emails that are read or answered. My inbox is for the latest emails that I'd like to keep track of, even if I won't send a reply. I don't want to archive everything... Email is not a todo list and I have unread as a way to remind me if I need to pay extra attention or reply to an email. Archive is for everything that is not important in any way anymore.

2. Every email app except the native one has to download emails after you get the notification - when you open the app. And I hate that

3. Where are my labels?

It's a nice looking app though, it's just not my cup of tea.

I'm still waiting in queue, so I can't speak from personal experience, but I have a few comments to your points.

1) I agree the workflow very different and is a personal preference so maybe it's not for you, but I think it sounds great. Don't think of archived as equivalent to the trashcan. Think of it more like something you have read/acted upon and set aside for reference this whenever needed. Up till now I've basically treated achive and delete as the same (I never really got used to the archive thing), but I hate "deleting" things ("What if I want to see this later...") so My inbox just builds and builds (I have about 1,500 in my inbox). The worst thing of all is when I have something that I need to act upon/reference but I put it off and then suddenly there are 20 email above it (which I never delete), so I end up forgetting about it completely.

2) Fair enough. I can't test this, but I assume you're right.

3) You simply need to move your existing labels into the [mailbox] label. I haven't really used labels, but I guess it's kind of hierarchical like folders. I read an article talking about it. It works.

Just a quick question, where do “completed” items go? There is no “archive” folder in the Mail.app...

Well I don't have my mac in front of me, but on the iPhone/iPad I know there is an "All mail" option under my gmail account. That will show both inbox and archived. Is that option on the Mac app?

madmaxmedia
Feb 20, 2013, 12:36 PM
I'm still waiting in queue, so I can't speak from personal experience, but I have a few comments to your points.

1) I agree the workflow very different and is a personal preference so maybe it's not for you, but I think it sounds great. Don't think of archived as equivalent to the trashcan. Think of it more like something you have read/acted upon and set aside for reference this whenever needed. Up till now I've basically treated achive and delete as the same (I never really got used to the archive thing), but I hate "deleting" things ("What if I want to see this later...") so My inbox just builds and builds (I have about 1,500 in my inbox). The worst thing of all is when I have something that I need to act upon/reference but I put it off and then suddenly there are 20 email above it (which I never delete), so I end up forgetting about it completely.

That's exactly why I really like this app (especially your last point about losing track of emails.)

When you first start using the app, I would recommend reviewing emails from the last day or so (and respond to anything as needed), and then just archiving everything and starting Mailbox with zero inbox. You'll be glad you did.

2) Fair enough. I can't test this, but I assume you're right.

Yup, that's how it is- it doesn't actually download until you open the app. Not a huge deal to me, as long as notifications work.

3) You simply need to move your existing labels into the [mailbox] label. I haven't really used labels, but I guess it's kind of hierarchical like folders. I read an article talking about it. It works.

Yeah, you customize your Mailbox 'lists' which are basically tags underneath the tag '[Mailbox]'. Pretty easy to set up, and completely flexible.

Well I don't have my mac in front of me, but on the iPhone/iPad I know there is an "All mail" option under my gmail account. That will show both inbox and archived. Is that option on the Mac app?

I'm not sure about this either. I still have Google Exchange sync set up on my iPhone, and there is a subfolder for 'All Mail'.

Mad Mac Maniac
Feb 20, 2013, 01:03 PM
That's exactly why I really like this app (especially your last point about losing track of emails.)

And on top of that can't you manually drag and drop email to rearrange them in your inbox? That can help even more to prioritize what emails you have. Although, I guess hypothetically you shouldn't ever keep email for too long in your inbox anyway. But still sounds cool/helpful

madmaxmedia
Feb 20, 2013, 01:34 PM
And on top of that can't you manually drag and drop email to rearrange them in your inbox? That can help even more to prioritize what emails you have. Although, I guess hypothetically you shouldn't ever keep email for too long in your inbox anyway. But still sounds cool/helpful

You can, but as you say if you keep your inbox at near zero you don't need this feature nearly as much!

shadow puppet
Feb 20, 2013, 02:43 PM
I find using mailbox app with my Mac’s mail app to be quite confusing.
Any ideas how I can quickly get 'archived from Mailbox app' emails

I'll be interested in the down low on this too.
But hey, I started at 817k in front of me yesterday and am now down to 800k so go me!

Yeah, I'm certifiable.

KenOzz
Feb 25, 2013, 02:43 AM
I waited in line for 2 weeks to get his app,

after 24hrs it stopped syncing, after another 24 hrs I deleted it and went back to the Gmail app

It looks like Sparrow all over again, promises much but delivers little,

Main faults for me were the lack of screen rotation, and the inability to access Gmail labels from within the App

So if you received an email and you wished to file that email in an existing label you would have to do this manually outside of the Mailbox App

So not for me but brilliant marketing by Mailbox,with over 800.000 still waiting in line, will Google step in with an offer to buy as they did with Sparrow?

CosmicDice
Feb 25, 2013, 03:19 AM
I think this influences you battery and make's it less good. Uninstal... Sparrow don't have push.

Abazigal
Feb 25, 2013, 04:57 AM
I am not getting push notifications of incoming mail.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? I have to manually launch the app for it to check for new mail. Kinda defeats the point. :confused:

Found the issue - apparently, push works only for the top gmail account (I have 2, one for personal usage, one for work).

Update - removed and resigned for both gmail accounts. They seem to be working okay now. Weird, guess it didn't sync properly the first time round?

tdhurst
Feb 25, 2013, 08:25 AM
Are the emails most people receive so important that push is a necessary feature?

I mean, it's your life and all, but I'd go insane if my phone told me every time I received an email. I have SMS/Messages for stuff like that, no?

madmaxmedia
Feb 25, 2013, 08:28 AM
This won't work for everyone, depending on your usage of labels.

But for my main 3-4 labels, I just changed them into sublists under the [Mailbox] label that the all uses for lists. That covers most of my labeling needs. I also created a mailbox list 'To File' where I can dump the rest to label later in web gmail.

I waited in line for 2 weeks to get his app,

after 24hrs it stopped syncing, after another 24 hrs I deleted it and went back to the Gmail app

It looks like Sparrow all over again, promises much but delivers little,

Main faults for me were the lack of screen rotation, and the inability to access Gmail labels from within the App

So if you received an email and you wished to file that email in an existing label you would have to do this manually outside of the Mailbox App

So not for me but brilliant marketing by Mailbox,with over 800.000 still waiting in line, will Google step in with an offer to buy as they did with Sparrow?

Abazigal
Feb 25, 2013, 04:22 PM
Are the emails most people receive so important that push is a necessary feature?

I mean, it's your life and all, but I'd go insane if my phone told me every time I received an email. I have SMS/Messages for stuff like that, no?

It's more of a convenience. On some days, I can be so busy that firing up the mail app is the last thing in my mind. Hence, I expect my phone to automatically notify me of any incoming mail.

I am not that important (a school teacher), so I suppose it is more a personal preference of mine. :)

Bawstun
Feb 25, 2013, 08:03 PM
Got in sometime last night. Been using it ever since and put it in my dock after about 15 minutes. It fits my needs and I like it much more than the stock. Not much else to say...it's working fine for me.

chunter1001
Feb 27, 2013, 03:25 PM
Has anyone else received the "IMAP Folders Disabled" error message when activating their account? The error states:

"Mailbox needs access to your IMAP folders in to order to sync your data. Please enable your AllMail, Sent, Trash and [Mailbox] folders in Gmail settings and try again."

IMAP is enabled for my account, but the app did not create a [Mailbox] folder for me. Is this something we must do manually?

Thanks!

madmaxmedia
Feb 27, 2013, 03:46 PM
Has anyone else received the "IMAP Folders Disabled" error message when activating their account? The error states:

"Mailbox needs access to your IMAP folders in to order to sync your data. Please enable your AllMail, Sent, Trash and [Mailbox] folders in Gmail settings and try again."

IMAP is enabled for my account, but the app did not create a [Mailbox] folder for me. Is this something we must do manually?

Thanks!

I didn't have to do it manually, it did it for me. When I changed the Mailbox list/labels or created new ones, it also did that for me as well.

----------

I am not that important (a school teacher), so I suppose it is more a personal preference of mine. :)

Don't sell yourself short, teachers are very important!! ;)

tegregg
Mar 6, 2013, 06:23 AM

Thanks!

I'm getting this same message. Anyone know how to sort it out. I have IMAP enabled but no [Mailbox] folder created

*Update - I manually added a [Mailbox] folder to Gmail and that has fixed the problem*

pokenguyen
Mar 7, 2013, 12:27 AM
How to set up mail on mac to show archive folder as inbox? It's weird to see blank inbox on my mac (it means I can't access it offline too).

radoyhead
Mar 7, 2013, 03:48 AM
I solved the issue by ticking ALL the Show in IMAP check-boxes (even the ones unrelated to Mailbox) in the Labels section of the Gmail settings.

I also had created the [Mailbox] folder manually beforehand, but I was still facing the issue...

Regards,
Alex

Razeus
Mar 15, 2013, 12:10 PM
The guys have just been bought by Dropbox. :):eek:

https://blog.dropbox.com/2013/03/welcome-mailbox/

tigres
Mar 15, 2013, 12:10 PM

Just saw this.

nburwell
Mar 15, 2013, 12:26 PM

https://blog.dropbox.com/2013/03/welcome-mailbox/

I figured it was only a matter of time before someone bought Mailbox.

Yujenisis
Mar 15, 2013, 12:35 PM
I figured it was only a matter of time before someone bought Mailbox.

I'm just a bit surprised it wasn't Google.

Dropbox is hopefully on it's way to challenging Gmail's throne. :D

wdmn1234
Mar 18, 2013, 08:09 PM
This app seems all good to me except for one thing: I can't get my archive/all mail section to display conversations by date, the way I have it in OSX Mail. They're arranged in some weird sequence that I can't figure out. Anyone have any ideas?

blackmac2008
Mar 22, 2013, 11:02 PM

Thanks!

I'm having the same issue. Does someone know how I can fix this?

mytoki
Mar 23, 2013, 09:02 PM
I keep getting the "Failed to authorize" error. Anyone else getting that?