Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
I'd like to replace my current work issue mobile phone with something that has the following characteristics:

1. Basic. Just phone calls and texts.
  2. Awesome battery life.
  3. Doesn't look particularly ancient - preferably metal-like materials.
  4. Did I mention cheap with awesome battery life?

Can anyone offer some recommendations? With all of these threads about the iPhone, Galaxy S3 and the like... it'd be could to see what's out at the bottom end of the market :) I instantly googled 'Nokia' but couldn't read past all of the Lumia pages without getting bored.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
I'd like to replace my current work issue mobile phone with something that has the following characteristics:

1. Basic. Just phone calls and texts.
  2. Awesome battery life.
  3. Doesn't look particularly ancient - preferably metal-like materials.
  4. Did I mention cheap with awesome battery life?

Can anyone offer some recommendations? With all of these threads about the iPhone, Galaxy S3 and the like... it'd be could to see what's out at the bottom end of the market :) I instantly googled 'Nokia' but couldn't read past all of the Lumia pages without getting bored.

Cannot go wrong with a Nexus 4, but if it is a feature phone you are looking for... I have been out of that game for quite some time!

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
If you're looking for a smartphone, the Razr M HD Maxx (or whatever the hell it's called) sounds like a good option.

If you want a feature phone, I've been out of the loop with those for a while but it looks like the Samsung Intensity 3 looks like a solid choice.

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010
Really any smartphone will last for days if you turn data off. My roomate uses a Samsung Galaxy Ace II with data off, she just calls and texts. She charges it every 4 days.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I recommend the iPhone 4/4S. It's cheap if you sign a 2-year contract. Awesome battery life. Very easy to use and stable. Not made of cheap plastic crap (like half the Android devices out there) but of glass/metal.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I recommend the iPhone 4/4S. It's cheap if you sign a 2-year contract. Awesome battery life. Very easy to use and stable. Not made of cheap plastic crap (like half the Android devices out there) but of glass/metal.

And you'd save a whopping $100-200 over the life of a 2 year contract that will run you in the ballpark of $2,000+ over two years. All while getting either a nearing 3 year old phone with almost 4 year old hardware or phone that will be 2 in a few months. Both will be almost 4 or 5 by the time the contract is up. My point is the savings wouldn't really be worth when you're already paying so much for the contract. Especially with getting the iPhone 4 with it's now ancient (same guts as the 3GS) hardware. Getting an iPhone 5 or other more recent phone would be a much better investment and better value.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.