Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RandySea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
iPhone 4. Sparrow works with Comcast POP3 email, not with Gmail POP3 email. Main computer is Windows 7, so no reference to Mac would apply.

Until 3 weeks ago, I was able to use Sparrow with my two gmail accounts just fine. (Using POP and SMTP.) I recently changed my gmail passwords. In Sparrow I try to change settings/password but, whenever I try to Save, I get "Unable to validate account. Connection to gmail could not be established. Your email or your password is not correct."

I am sure I am putting in the correct password. To test, I set up the basic iPhone Mail app with POP access to one of my gmail accounts that isn't working in Sparrow. It works fine. I also can get to that gmail account using Safari.

Finally, to show Sparrow is ok, I can say that it continues to work normally with a Comcast POP account.

Here is another oddity, maybe a clue? If I go into one of my gmail account settings/details, I see POP server with login and pw, and same for SMTP. Updating pw for POP and SMTP gets me that failure noted above. If I go into the other gmail account's settings, I get an Account Configuration screen that only asks for name address and pw. No separation of POP or SMTP.

Is there some advanced setup screen I may be missing or some other way to tweak a gmail POP account in Sparrow?

I haven't tried uninstalling and reinstalling Sparrow because, as I said, the Comcast email account works fine. So likely nothing wrong with the program.

RandySea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Sparrow now completely dead

I thought maybe I'd just uninstall and reinstall Sparrow. Bad idea.

The icon came back. When I click on it, I get a brief Sparrow screen, then the app shuts. I tried rebooting the iPhone but nothing changed.

I guess I'll just give up on Sparrow.

RandySea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Fixed! Sparrow working with gmail and comcast normally.

I had pretty much given up on Sparrow, as I said and was also suggested above. I just removed it, as I had before.

Then I finally decided to allow the upgrade (?) to ios 6 on my iPhone 4. For the hell of it, after that I reinstalled Sparrow. By starting from scratch with the new ios, it did not crash immediately. However, I did find an essential and not obvious trick to get it working correctly.

When adding an email account, Sparrow defaults to imap. At first, I didn't realize that. Then I could not find a way to change the accounts in Sparrow to POP3, which is how I access both gmail and comcast. (I don't have imap activated at all in gmail.) Nor could I find a way to select POP for a new account.

Here is the stupid trick: When adding an account, put in the wrong password. In the Validation stage, it will fail. However, this will bring up the full account details page. That is where you can select POP. Continue in editing account details, this time using the correct password.

If there is a more logical way to do this I couldn't find it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.