PDA

View Full Version : stupid lack of # key

mcmadhatter
Oct 11, 2005, 06:27 AM
My ibook has a distinctinctly lacking in the # key department, is there a key combination to type this or do i just have to go to the special charecter pallet (or whatever its equivelent is called by apple) every time I want to type a #??
It is really annoying as I am doing c# and css stuff at the moment

cheers

Applespider
Oct 11, 2005, 06:29 AM
Assume that you're working on a UK keyboard?

Typing Option/Alt and 3 will get you a #

MacDawg
Oct 11, 2005, 06:30 AM
My ibook has a distinctinctly lacking in the # key department, is there a key combination to type this or do i just have to go to the special charecter pallet (or whatever its equivelent is called by apple) every time I want to type a #??
It is really annoying as I am doing c# and css stuff at the moment

cheers

You mean something other than shift - 3 ?
############################

Edit: OK, I see, thanks for the clarification Applespider

Is the iBook keyboard different? I don't have one.

Woof, Woof Dawg http://homepage.mac.com/k.j.vinson/pawprint.gif

fayans
Oct 11, 2005, 06:37 AM
Assume that you're working on a UK keyboard?

Typing Option/Alt and 3 will get you a #
Thanks! I learn type - without going to character palette using alt/option key combination. Cool!

sreedy
Oct 11, 2005, 06:39 AM
In the UK shift-3 is and alt-3 is #; I must admit from a developers point of view this is a bit rubbish.... discourages commented code!

I think they should at least hvae marked the keyboard somehow like the 2 on a UK keyboard having @ and

mcmadhatter
Oct 11, 2005, 12:17 PM
In the UK shift-3 is and alt-3 is #; I must admit from a developers point of view this is a bit rubbish.... discourages commented code!

I think they should at least hvae marked the keyboard somehow like the 2 on a UK keyboard having @ and

cheers for that everyone, I can now attempt to comment my code on a more regular basis. It's a shame they don't mark the extra charecters on the keyboard

20rogersc
Oct 11, 2005, 12:25 PM
Thanks for this thread, I've been wondering for a while how to do '#' easily!
Now I can #:D#

::20ROGERSC::

stevep
Oct 11, 2005, 05:15 PM
And does anyone know how to type an Apple symbol/logo on a UK keyboard? Its supposed to be apple+shift+K on a US one. I'm thinking Word or InDesign here, not typing it in a web page (theres already a thread on how to put an apple symbol into a MacRumors post).

Applespider
Oct 11, 2005, 05:22 PM
And does anyone know how to type an Apple symbol/logo on a UK keyboard? Its supposed to be apple+shift+K on a US one.

Not ⌘+shift+K but Option (Alt)+Shift+K will get you a  ;)

Mitthrawnuruodo
Oct 11, 2005, 05:33 PM
Not ?+shift+K but Option (Alt)+Shift+K will get you a ? ;)Much easier on a Norwegian keyboard: alt-A :)

mcmadhatter
Oct 12, 2005, 09:06 AM
I think i might do a complete listing for all the keys on the uk keyboard when I get home to my Mac

Mitthrawnuruodo
Oct 12, 2005, 09:23 AM
I think i might do a complete listing for all the keys on the uk keyboard when I get home to my MacNo need for a complete listing, you already got it: Enable the input menu in System Preferences -> International, and check the Keyboard Viewer Palette. :)

Edit: The Keyboard Viewer will give you a small floating window that will show you what characters that's assigned to different keys when yo hold down shift, alt/option, cmd/apple, ctrl, fn or any combination of the controller keys.

fayans
Oct 12, 2005, 09:40 AM
No need for a complete listing, you already got it: Enable the input menu in System Preferences -> International, and check the Keyboard Viewer Palette. :)

Edit: The Keyboard Viewer will give you a small floating window that will show you what characters that's assigned to different keys when yo hold down shift, alt/option, cmd/apple, ctrl, fn or any combination of the controller keys.
This is cool! I was looking for the complete list of what keys assigned to which special character. Thanks Mitthrawnuruodo.

stevep
Oct 12, 2005, 02:02 PM
Thanks Applespider and all you others - I've found it depends on the typeface selected (works in Geneva and Monaco for instance, but not in Arial or Times New Roman - not too surprising considering the provenance of the first two). You've saved me tearing my hair out.

ps for some reason I keep getting a 'server too busy' response.....am I surprised?

mcmadhatter
Oct 13, 2005, 06:16 AM
ps for some reason I keep getting a 'server too busy' response.....am I surprised?

lol I got that yestereday when trying to find out what was happening at the conference, gave up and watched the football in the end lol