View Full Version : Don't wanna.

iGary
Oct 11, 2005, 07:34 AM
No desire to work today.

At all.

Anyone else? :(

mad jew
Oct 11, 2005, 07:35 AM
I've gotta say I struggled all day. Finally kicked in about 4:00ish.

Good luck with it iGary, there are few things more frustrating. :(

DeSnousa
Oct 11, 2005, 07:36 AM
It's really hot in Australia at the moment and I work in a fridge and freezer. So can't wait :D

iMeowbot
Oct 11, 2005, 07:38 AM
It's really hot in Australia at the moment and I work in a fridge and freezer. So can't wait :D
So you're the one who puts out the light when the door closes?

edesignuk
Oct 11, 2005, 07:41 AM
If it makes you feel any better, I'm not working.

At all.

All week.

:D

iGary
Oct 11, 2005, 07:42 AM
If it makes you feel any better, I'm wot working.

At all.

All week.

Bastich. :mad:

DeSnousa
Oct 11, 2005, 07:43 AM

I wish ;) I mainly fill milk at my local supermarket.

iDM
Oct 11, 2005, 07:44 AM
If it makes you feel any better I've got class from 9:30 till 2:15 straight through, then I'll be going to work from 2:30 till 5, and then the studying begins for my 3 mid-terms next week.

I don't feel like going to class
I don't feel like going to work
I don't feel like studying

mad jew
Oct 11, 2005, 07:44 AM
I mainly fill milk at my local supermarket.

I'm just gonna leave that one right there. You're too young. You're too innocent. :p

iGary
Oct 11, 2005, 07:45 AM
If it makes you feel any better I've got class from 9:30 till 2:15 straight through, then I'll be going to work from 2:30 till 5, and then the studying begins for my 3 mid-terms next week.

I don't feel like going to class
I don't feel like going to work
I don't feel like studying

I'd love to be a student again.

I usually have two hours of work under my belt by now, but I haven't done a thing. :rolleyes:

MacDawg
Oct 11, 2005, 07:46 AM
No desire to work today.

At all.

I feel your pain buddy...

Watching all of your peers bail out of the bankrupt airline, leaving you behind is depressing. Every day I hear about somebody else.

Hang in there

Woof, Woof Dawg http://homepage.mac.com/k.j.vinson/pawprint.gif

edesignuk
Oct 11, 2005, 07:47 AM
I mainly fill milk at my local supermarket.I'd keep that to yourself if I were you...

http://upload.yo-momma.net/uploads/smilies/dogeyes.gif

gwuMACaddict
Oct 11, 2005, 07:48 AM
i'm at work...

but mostly taking care of other business...

(gotta get my errands done sometime! ;) )

MacDawg
Oct 11, 2005, 07:50 AM
I'd keep that to yourself if I were you...

http://upload.yo-momma.net/uploads/smilies/dogeyes.gif

That's why I always check the date and the seals on the milk!

Woof, Woof Dawg http://homepage.mac.com/k.j.vinson/pawprint.gif

iGav
Oct 11, 2005, 07:51 AM
If it makes you feel any better, I'm not working.

At all.

All week.

no change there then eh' e? ;) heheh.

DeSnousa
Oct 11, 2005, 07:54 AM
I'm just gonna leave that one right there. You're too young. You're too innocent. :p

It's a sad trend though sadly, employers are just after cheaper and fresher employees in their teenage years :p :o

Chundles
Oct 11, 2005, 08:05 AM
Motivation = Zero

Has been for ages, uni's really suffering too.

Too apathetic to care.

Damn uni.

eva01
Oct 11, 2005, 08:08 AM
i don't go to school right now because of my illness i just enjoy running and sleeping. but i have dentist appointment in two hours and i don't want to get up :/

macartistkel
Oct 11, 2005, 08:12 AM
Oh I hear you guys! My desk is completely covered with jobs I need to be working on BUT I am so tired I can barely keep my eyes open. I cannot wait until 3:30 but its not coming anytime soon!! :(

scem0
Oct 11, 2005, 08:17 AM
I actually feel motivated today :).

I woke up extra early (4:30 AM) due to a weird sleep schedule. I drank hot tea and finished up my homework that is due today (at 12). I made myself some rice, which turned out quite well. I did some mid to upper body workout - crunches and handstand pushups, and then I ran from the first floor of my dorm up the stairs to the 17th floor, all the way back down to the first, and back up to my room on the 6th. Got back, took a shower, and got on MR.

So, I got a short, full body workout, my homework (2d compositions and greyscale photographs) turned out quite well, I have 3 hours to do whatever I want before I have to get to class, and I feel refreshed from my shower. Oh, and I smell good, too :).

But I am dreading the last 30 minutes of my class. I'm going to get really sleepy around 2:30 and my class doesn't end till 3:00. And afterwards I have to talk to the head of one of the programs at my school to see about switching into it. Oh well. :cool:

Usually, I am the epitome of lazy. I cry on the inside when my alarm wakes me up at 8:00 for class on Mondays.

_Emerson

20rogersc
Oct 11, 2005, 08:28 AM
Ugh, not at all.

Just had three hours of ICT, finding out how to do reports on M$ Access, for about the tenth time.

Oh and I got to finish my Art & Design coursework for friday :eek:

::20ROGERSC::

bartelby
Oct 11, 2005, 08:37 AM
I never feel like working, this job is sh*te!
Time for a new one I think!

Especially now I've had to take on the jobs my line manager did.
More work, more responsibility longer hours to get the work done.

More money?

Nope!! :mad:

MacRy
Oct 11, 2005, 08:44 AM
I'm not working today because I have an industrial case of the trots so maybe that will make you smile (or grimace). :eek:

jelloshotsrule
Oct 11, 2005, 08:48 AM
try working as a temp. you feel totally detached from your work as in a day or a week it could be gone. therefore, you don't really build relationships with co-workers. you are more likely to drag work out than work hard to get it done so you can leave early...

the motivation is non-existent. well, except paying the bills

i've considered writing a book about being a temp...

russed
Oct 11, 2005, 08:51 AM
i have two exams in the next two days in freshers week of all weeks. so everyone is out having fun and im supposed to be revising, but instead of either revising or just sodding it and having fun im just sat doing nothing instead! AAARRRRGGGHH, i know nothing!

p.s. can enyone give me a crash course in the prime ministers of the last 100 years?

juicedus
Oct 11, 2005, 08:52 AM
I envy all of you that have jobs. Do you know how worthless I feel, two 4-year degrees and I still live at home unemployed. :rolleyes:

edesignuk
Oct 11, 2005, 08:52 AM
p.s. can enyone give me a crash course in the prime ministers of the last 100 years?Maggie is all that matters ;) :p

QCassidy352
Oct 11, 2005, 08:53 AM
I really don't want to be in class today... too bad I've got an extra class! :eek: :mad:

nbs2
Oct 11, 2005, 09:00 AM
Gary - where do you work? Remember, whereever it is, it is better than being stuck in Baltimore all day, everyday. The only redeeming thing is that on a nice day (not today), I could study by Camden Yards.

Of course, today I have one class. for one hour. But I've got a couple hours of meetings. And a memo. And I need to find a job for after I finish school in May. And I don't want to do anything.

Whyren
Oct 11, 2005, 09:05 AM
I hear ya (http://ical.mac.com/animeniac06/Calendar). 20 credits and 10 hours work per week, most people think I'm insane. At least we have a break on Friday. :)

Best I've ever had was a one-month semester w/ one class. And that was just 2 hours of theatre improv a day. :cool:

Mr. Anderson
Oct 11, 2005, 09:06 AM
No desire to work today.

At all.

I'm at home waiting for some people to review work I did and get back to me with the changes.....so until then, I'm not doing much. Doing freelance and being a Mr. Mom is great sometimes, but I miss being in an office and working directly with other people.

And today its crappy outside, so I can't really enjoy doing anything outdoors...

J-lo - if you're good enough with the words, you should probably temp at a few more places or talk to other temps to get some good stories - a book about that could be quite entertaining. But don't you have a film project to do?

D

Toppa G's
Oct 11, 2005, 09:08 AM
I also have no motivation today - my first class is a distribution management class, and we have had 6 lectures in a row about the US Postal Service....YAWN! I have no one to blame but myself, however, since it's a class I don't need to take. :o

zelmo
Oct 11, 2005, 09:08 AM
I feel your pain, iGary. Two weeks ago, I was told to hand off (to my GM) all daily operations for the prepress department (for which I get to keep total accountability, just lost control) I've managed for the past 8 years, and start looking into digital printing equipment.
I knew darn little about digital printing, and am, so far, learning just enough to make me leery of learning more. Every pebble I pick up reveals a teeming world of detail to absorb, and I feel like I'm drowning in info with no life-vest in sight. Funny thing is, I felt pretty much the same when I was dropped into prepress, except then I inherited a support staff with a strong base of knowledge to teach me what I needed to know. We have no one else here with any digital printing background.

I am trying to look at it as a reward for having transitioned prepress from a department in chaos into an efficiently run production center, but part of me resents having worked so hard only to be pulled off now that I have gotten everything buttoned down.
I know I should be excited and energized by the new opportunity, but I'm having a hard time getting motivated. And it is just too damn easy to escape into MacRumors.

Wah-wah-wah. Now, back to work.

Jesus
Oct 11, 2005, 09:10 AM
I'm busy dying today from the plague, so I'm MRing and might do a painting later, oh, and I'm reading my Jules Verne, in French, and listening to my favourite songs from the 60s (and also lots of Pink Floyd).

Jesus

Mr. Anderson
Oct 11, 2005, 09:13 AM
I feel your pain, iGary. I am trying to look at it as a reward for having transitioned prepress from a department in chaos into an efficiently run production center, but part of me resents having worked so hard only to be pulled off now that I have gotten everything buttoned down.
I know I should be excited and energized by the new opportunity, but I'm having a hard time getting motivated.

But if someone else came along and got the job and then in a year or so you saw the traditional prepress work being taken over by the digital prepress work, you'd be a little upset I think finding that you'd be put out of a job eventually....

D

MacRy
Oct 11, 2005, 09:14 AM
p.s. can enyone give me a crash course in the prime ministers of the last 100 years?

Try this list here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Prime_Ministers_of_the_United_Kingdom)

Mr. Anderson
Oct 11, 2005, 09:22 AM
Try this list here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Prime_Ministers_of_the_United_Kingdom)

That information I don't think I'll ever need to know.....

But can anyone tell me this - what caused the change from Dukes, Viscount, Marquess and Earls to regular (somewhat) individuals? And what's the difference between a Viscount and a Count?

I know this is OT - but its also a thread about not doing work, so I think that fits. :D

D

rainman::|:|
Oct 11, 2005, 09:23 AM
Every day for the past few weeks I've announced a morning, "What would be more fun than going to work today" activity. Today's was hiding in treehouses shooting pebbles at construction workers. Yesterday's was collecting leaves and making chocolate leaves out of them. I figure, just because i have to waste my life in this building, doesn't mean i can't make up better memories for myself...

MacRy
Oct 11, 2005, 09:28 AM

But can anyone tell me this - what caused the change from Dukes, Viscount, Marquess and Earls to regular (somewhat) individuals? And what's the difference between a Viscount and a Count?

I know this is OT - but its also a thread about not doing work, so I think that fits. :D

D

Well a Count is someone who lives in a darkened castle up on a mountain top somewhere, laughing maniacally as he waits for the latest virgin to stumble upon his lair.....and the other is a rather yummy old biscuit from Burtons:

http://walkerscrisps.de/sess/utn15434bcb5b80d4a/shopdata/0080_Biscuits/images/Viscount_250x183.jpg

I believe that's the information that you are after.

3rdpath
Oct 11, 2005, 09:28 AM
try working as a temp. you feel totally detached from your work as in a day or a week it could be gone. therefore, you don't really build relationships with co-workers. you are more likely to drag work out than work hard to get it done so you can leave early...

the motivation is non-existent. well, except paying the bills

see the movie "clockwatchers".

zelmo
Oct 11, 2005, 09:29 AM
But if someone else came along and got the job and then in a year or so you saw the traditional prepress work being taken over by the digital prepress work, you'd be a little upset I think finding that you'd be put out of a job eventually....

D

I got'cha, but actually the transition I just completed was bringing us to a digital prepress environment. All digital proofing, 100% computer-to-plate. No more film at all. We've gone from a staff of 45 in 2000 to a staff of 16 today, while increasing throughput. (God, I sound like a freakin' manager, don't I?:rolleyes:. Well, if you're gonna be one, might as well be a good one.)

The digital print end will probably draw some work from our offset pressroom, but it will mostly bring in new business like variable imprinting and real short-runs. Should have almost no impact on our prepress end at all.
The tough part now is figuring out if we want to jump in with a high-end digital 4C press like an iGen3 or go with a smaller 4C press or even start with black only, like a DocuTech. Once we decide what we want to do, it's all about process control. That's where I'm most comfortable. It's all this "up in the air with no one wanting to make a decision" stuff that drives me crazy. That includes me. :o :p

iGary
Oct 11, 2005, 09:34 AM
I'm at home waiting for some people to review work I did and get back to me with the changes.....so until then, I'm not doing much. Doing freelance and being a Mr. Mom is great sometimes, but I miss being in an office and working directly with other people.

And today its crappy outside, so I can't really enjoy doing anything outdoors...

J-lo - if you're good enough with the words, you should probably temp at a few more places or talk to other temps to get some good stories - a book about that could be quite entertaining. But don't you have a film project to do?

D

Yeah, it is nasty outside here too, lots of discs to work on - and I do miss the office environment a little, too.

Lau
Oct 11, 2005, 09:38 AM

A guy called dave wrote one (http://www.microcosmpublishing.com/catalog/books/1010/) about subbing as a teaching assistant - it's a really excellent read. You should write a book about temping, you get into a really weird state of mind temping.

jelloshotsrule
Oct 11, 2005, 09:40 AM

there's always film projects to do.

i've very very strongly considered writing at least some sort of blog/memoirs of a temp type thing. i also have a friend with a publishing company (that i work on the film section of...). so it's feasible. you are probably right that i should talk to other temps. as of now i've had temp jobs technically in 3 places (2 places about 4 years ago, and 1 recently for 6+ months). 2 different departments in my current place. and it seems every day i realize something new about temping, and my stories seem to evoke much laughter from friends about finding ways to kill time, etc... one thing i'd be hesitant about would be publishing it under my name while i'm potentially working for/near my previous companies! hah

see the movie "clockwatchers".

damn, netflix doesn't have it and no date listed as to when they will. i'm sure you know the producer or director or something, just have them send me a copy. ;)

iGary
Oct 11, 2005, 09:42 AM
I got'cha, but actually the transition I just completed was bringing us to a digital prepress environment. All digital proofing, 100% computer-to-plate. No more film at all. We've gone from a staff of 45 in 2000 to a staff of 16 today, while increasing throughput. (God, I sound like a freakin' manager, don't I?:rolleyes:. Well, if you're gonna be one, might as well be a good one.)

The digital print end will probably draw some work from our offset pressroom, but it will mostly bring in new business like variable imprinting and real short-runs. Should have almost no impact on our prepress end at all.
The tough part now is figuring out if we want to jump in with a high-end digital 4C press like an iGen3 or go with a smaller 4C press or even start with black only, like a DocuTech. Once we decide what we want to do, it's all about process control. That's where I'm most comfortable. It's all this "up in the air with no one wanting to make a decision" stuff that drives me crazy. That includes me. :o :p

A lot of big companies like LL Bean, US News (those are two a friend of mine set up their in-house pre-press) are doing pre-press themselves these days.

I've only written for one publication that used a printer for pre-press.

Maybe you could start pitching come publications/checking with your connections in the biz, PM.

devilot
Oct 11, 2005, 09:45 AM
Talk about not wanting to follow through w/ 'work'... I didn't go to a single one of my classes all last week. :o

Josh
Oct 11, 2005, 10:00 AM
No desire to work today.

At all.

Welcome to my every day ;)

macartistkel
Oct 11, 2005, 10:01 AM

Hey Powermac666, I do a lot of pre-press work and yes my company has an all digital direct-to-place workflow. I love it and its so much better than dealing with negatives! I am working at a flexographic printer so its a lot different than probably some things you are doing at your company! May I ask what software system you are using for your workflow? We went with Creo Systems. Just curious!

zelmo
Oct 11, 2005, 10:13 AM
Hey Powermac666, I do a lot of pre-press work and yes my company has an all digital direct-to-place workflow. I love it and its so much better than dealing with negatives! I am working at a flexographic printer so its a lot different than probably some things you are doing at your company! May I ask what software system you are using for your workflow? We went with Creo Systems. Just curious!

We were using Heidelberg Delta Technology for years, but it was clear that Heidy was leaving it behind in favor of Prinect (no advancement in trap engine, "beyond" poor pdf support, lots of 3rd party black boxes required to export Delta List for proofing/plating). We switched to Esko-Graphics' Scope workflow last year, and find it works very well for us. The trapping is beautifully done, impo is pretty easy (quite similar to Preps), re-mapping colors is a breeze, and DLT proofing is pretty easy on folks used to checking film. We use Acrobat Pro 7 for proofing.
We also looked hard at Rampage, and could have gone either way, really.

Dagless
Oct 11, 2005, 10:24 AM
absolute ditto!

im not at university today. frankly its going to be another lecture about post-modernism and whilst i need to do the contextual side of my course; its more important right now i get my actual graphic (and with a sooner deadline) projects done. which is more fun than work to me.

BUT so far all day i've done nothing but take my dogs out. played Advance Wars DS. watched some Channel 4 morning drama thing. had a bacon butty. :) thats it

Abstract
Oct 11, 2005, 10:35 AM
Motivation = Zero

Has been for ages, uni's really suffering too.

Too apathetic to care.

Damn uni.

Me too. It seems as if I have felt this way for a couple of years now.

crdean1
Oct 11, 2005, 10:49 AM
Since all of you asked, ha, I went to work all last week from 8-4:30, then took a mini-semester at school from 5-10pm Monday through Friday, with before and after Saturdays 8-5pm....And I'm married. I didn't see my wife all week.

I came back to work yesterday, and spent most of the day on MR....Well, I guess today too....

Well...Off to lunch. :D

efoto
Oct 11, 2005, 10:50 AM
Today feels like Monday....that is, I have a case of the Mondays despite this being a Tuesday but I certainly do not want to work today.

I have been in a meeting since 7am today, scheduled to go until 230pm however I guarantee we will go over as we always do. Next week (or the one after, not sure) we have three straight days of brainstorming ALL DAY :mad: which translates to 730-530 because they want that extra time out of us for these few days. It's all BS, they just try to package it as a necessity but it's all BS.

eva01
Oct 11, 2005, 11:04 AM
Yeah, it is nasty outside here too, lots of discs to work on - and I do miss the office environment a little, too.

hmm its rainy outside here too.

O_o the environment is going to drown us all. well i have done my one deed of the day. Go to the dentist, now i think it is time for lunch and watching more Naruto

Nickygoat
Oct 11, 2005, 11:21 AM
All you students scrounging off the state & doing nothing :p
Having said that I still have 21 days holiday to take before 31/12, starting tomorrow at 2.30 :D, so no I don't feel like working either.

But can anyone tell me this - what caused the change from Dukes, Viscount, Marquess and Earls to regular (somewhat) individuals? I know this is OT - but its also a thread about not doing work, so I think that fits. :D

D
Staying off topic - the first change was the Reform Act of 1832 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reform_Act_1832) which changed the limits for enfranchisement (basically including a lot of house owners), followed by the Second Reform Act of 1867 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reform_Act_1867) which gave the right to vote to all home owners, up until the Representation of the People Act 1918 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representation_of_the_People_Act_1918) which gave the right to all men and some women. Females had to wait until 1928 for the complete right to vote.
Basically each Act let the commoners vote ;), until they reached the top of the tree.
And with that I'm knackered :D

devilot
Oct 11, 2005, 11:25 AM
All you students scrounging off the state & doing nothing :pNope! Not I! I don't get financial aid, well, other than the kind that comes from the parental type.

dcv
Oct 11, 2005, 11:32 AM
Nope, I have no desire to work.... yet I have loads to do... :(

Wasted a load of time this afternoon trying to troubleshoot what I originally deemed to be a problem with my Mac's internet connection... turned out to be a DNS server outage. so have fallen a little behind with work.

Just got a call from the office asking me to come in tomorrow morning to help spec out a new piece of work (i usually work from home). Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhh! means i have to be up early and get on the tube...

iSaint
Oct 11, 2005, 11:43 AM
Haven't had a job in almost a year. I've gone back to school to get my Masters in Teaching, but still have been looking for work. The job situation is a sad state...overqualified for this, but underqualified for that. Some days I accomplish so much either in the way of Mr Mom and Househusband, or schoolwork, etc. But somedays the naps come too easy! However, I have no desire to go back to cubicle world.

macartistkel
Oct 11, 2005, 11:45 AM
We were using Heidelberg Delta Technology for years, but it was clear that Heidy was leaving it behind in favor of Prinect (no advancement in trap engine, "beyond" poor pdf support, lots of 3rd party black boxes required to export Delta List for proofing/plating). We switched to Esko-Graphics' Scope workflow last year, and find it works very well for us. The trapping is beautifully done, impo is pretty easy (quite similar to Preps), re-mapping colors is a breeze, and DLT proofing is pretty easy on folks used to checking film. We use Acrobat Pro 7 for proofing.
We also looked hard at Rampage, and could have gone either way, really.

Oh that is funny..I used Rampage for YEARS---I didn't like it though...and Preps sucked big time, but again we do mostly flat work here, no impo, so I just really hated using that program. We had numerous meetings with Eskographics (and personally if I had the final say then I would have chosen them -- I liked how everything is integrated with Adobe Ilustrator too--and the trapping was perfect. They sent me a demo one time and I loved it.) Creo Systems is really great too---kills anything Rampage and Preps did so I cannot complain after the switch! It is a total pdf workflow so we use a lot of Acrobat 7 too!

Thanks for writing back...hope the transition starts going better for you!! :)

jsw
Oct 11, 2005, 11:48 AM
I just spent almost three hours listening to a Finn with poor English skills discuss, over a phone connection, strategic plans for phone development, accompanied by poorly done slides.

I would trade my morning with almost anyone here (I say "almost" on the off chance that someone has attended a four-hour long Finn-led meeting).

I have zero desire to work now....

jdechko
Oct 11, 2005, 11:49 AM
I dont really feel like working today either... Ive been here for 4 hours already... my commute sucks (2 hours each way, driving, in Atlanta traffic... fun stuff). Anyway, thats what MR is for :D

efoto
Oct 11, 2005, 11:59 AM
I just spent almost three hours listening to a Finn with poor English skills discuss, over a phone connection, strategic plans for phone development, accompanied by poorly done slides.

I would trade my morning with almost anyone here (I say "almost" on the off chance that someone has attended a four-hour long Finn-led meeting).

I have zero desire to work now....

I would say I pretty much tie you for horrible mornings. The meeting I was/am in (730-230) was French-led for quite some time on video-conference, but still horrible due to both accent and difference of opinion for the project which was supposed to be sorted out already so we wouldn't waste four hours arguing on the videophone about it :rolleyes:

solvs
Oct 11, 2005, 12:03 PM
try working as a temp.
Also a temp. Work a lot of long term temp jobs. I'm hoping to make a short about it (whever Apple releases those new G5s). After I get my car paid off and buy a new Mac, I'm outta here. I can't stand it any longer. I've been so overloaded with work lately. It's just not worth it anymore. I guess I better get back to work now, I've got another High Priority call.

Guess it's better than being unemployed... but not really.

jsw
Oct 11, 2005, 12:04 PM
I would say I pretty much tie you for horrible mornings. The meeting I was/am in (730-230) was French-led for quite some time on video-conference, but still horrible due to both accent and difference of opinion for the project which was supposed to be sorted out already so we wouldn't waste four hours arguing on the videophone about it :rolleyes:
OK... you win for duration, but I'll take a French accent over a Finnish one any day. "MO-bile VEEE-pee-en sewft-vare". Etc. etc. etc. Drives me insane. ;)

Edit: and at least you can post while in it!

Chappers
Oct 11, 2005, 12:08 PM
Work - today - yuk

I think I have PAASS

Pre Apple Announcement Stress Syndrome

Tomorrow I may be sucked into a vortex of anticipation.

Or maybe i just feel lazy today and tomorrow will be just another day.

jsw
Oct 11, 2005, 12:11 PM
Work - today - yuk

I think I have PAASS

Pre Apple Announcement Stress Syndrome

Tomorrow I may be sucked into a vortex of anticipation.

Or maybe i just feel lazy today and tomorrow will be just another day.
No... tomorrow won't be just another day. It'll either be a day of "oh, man... they call that a 'one more thing' announcement? iBook socks? geez" or a day of "well, if I consolidate these three credit cards and go sell a kidney and go without heat all winter, then..." sort of thoughts.

But it won't be just another day. ;)

efoto
Oct 11, 2005, 12:11 PM
OK... you win for duration, but I'll take a French accent over a Finnish one any day. "MO-bile VEEE-pee-en sewft-vare". Etc. etc. etc. Drives me insane. ;)

Edit: and at least you can post while in it!

Yes I can :D, wireless is a lovely thing. Thankfully our IT department was easily convinced that I needed this device online, just lovely.

jsw
Oct 11, 2005, 12:12 PM
Yes I can :D, wireless is a lovely thing. Thankfully our IT department was easily convinced that I needed this device online, just lovely.
I feel a mix of envy and hatred for you. ;)

We have wireless, but they didn't want our laptops open because it would be 'distracting'. Apparently, to the Finn on the voice-only connection....

Mac_Freak
Oct 11, 2005, 12:16 PM
I don't feel like working today too, on the other hand, I have no stuff to work on, :)

I am finished with classes for today, :D, Wednesday and Thursday no school and on Friday easy classes :D. Oh and today I was offered a job as a peer tutor at a my college's ePortfolio Lab, just need to met with the head guy there and discus few things. Not bad considering that I took only few web design classes in H.S.

efoto
Oct 11, 2005, 12:18 PM
I feel a mix of envy and hatred for you. ;)

We have wireless, but they didn't want our laptops open because it would be 'distracting'. Apparently, to the Finn on the voice-only connection....

I have mixed envy and hatred for myself too, so join the club.

All of the rapid clicking sounds would have made him quite paranoid....but you could have just told them off as being static in the line ;)

wongulous
Oct 11, 2005, 12:20 PM
I skipped class today.

killuminati
Oct 11, 2005, 12:24 PM
I have no desire to go to school.

But then again, I don't have to. My teachers have been on strike the last 5 days :D.

jelloshotsrule
Oct 11, 2005, 12:25 PM
Also a temp. Work a lot of long term temp jobs. I'm hoping to make a short about it (whever Apple releases those new G5s). After I get my car paid off and buy a new Mac, I'm outta here. I can't stand it any longer. I've been so overloaded with work lately. It's just not worth it anymore. I guess I better get back to work now, I've got another High Priority call.

Guess it's better than being unemployed... but not really.

not to be too personal... but why are you a temp? and what sort of work do you do? how long has it been? etc... maybe we could collaborate??

the funny thing about my temping experiences is that i haven't had nearly enough work to stay busy... it's crazy. i can do nothing for 3 days, then do one thing that takes 10 minutes (i stretch it out for 3 hours) and get high praise.... ahh

i'm an "office" temp by the way. though i guess that was probably clear...

Mike Teezie
Oct 11, 2005, 12:26 PM
I'm with you, iGary.

I have 2 design assignments due tomorrow. Another test on Thursday I haven't so much as cracked a book for.

At work, I'm supposed to be starting on overhauling the entire retail side of our website. I have no ideas for that yet.

And here I sit, browsing around on MR.

CanadaRAM
Oct 11, 2005, 01:15 PM
I'm not working today because I have an industrial case of the trots so maybe that will make you smile (or grimace). :eek:
That would expplain the avatar...

I had a dental appointment this AM too, but it was amazing... the traditional slow injection of anesthetic, then 2 minutes of drilling, a dab of something on a stick, and a minute with a light-curing 'flashlight' that looks like a glue gun but they hold up orange plastic shields to protect their eyes, and "That's it, it's all sealed up, you can go". Let's hear it for advanced light-curing polymers, gang.

So I'm here at the office (after having booked off the whole morning) with nothing scheduled. Unfortunately, the cable company wheeled up and unscrewed their 'transformer' from the telephone pole so we were without Internet until just now.

So yippee for some unexpected free time. Unfortunately it was more than made up for with an iMac G5 over the weekend -- 5 hours on Friday setting up and transferring data and doing Software Update over a slow 'broadband' connection way the hell and gone out a rural road, and the iMac decides to pack it in -- blue screen, nothing else.

So bring it home for the weekend, reininstall Tiger, do it all over again and ... 8 Gb into a 10 Gb data transfer it does it again, blue screen, won't boot. DOA POS... DIATH anyway. Send it back, and we'll do it all again when the replacement machine arrives (Store had only one 20" iMac G5).

solvs
Oct 11, 2005, 01:18 PM
not to be too personal... but why are you a temp? and what sort of work do you do? how long has it been? etc... maybe we could collaborate??
I moved up to WA because I was stifled in the small town I was living in. Low paying jobs, bad luck with women. Some friends invited me up here to check it out. I loved it, so I moved here. Of course, he was in the military, so they moved a couple of months later. :rolleyes: But I needed a job, so I took a temp position and I've been working them ever since. 1 was only about 3 months, 1 was ~9, etc. Been here for about 3 years now, but I'm moving back to CA to be with family and friends. Just not back to the small town, probably somewhere near L.A. The temp service I work for has offices there. It's convenient to temp, and I save up some money every time so when the job ends, I get a mini vacation. I should probably grow up someday and get a real job, but whatever.

If I ever get off my lazy @$$ and finish a project, we should. I'm doing a short, but we haven't written dialogue yet. And I'm going to be doing some work in Garage Band with a friend of my Sister. He's a musician (I sing). But hey, that's why I'll be near Hollywood... everybody wants to be a star. ;)

mariahlullaby
Oct 11, 2005, 04:19 PM
LOL! Reminds me of something that happened a few years ago in Science class. The class was presenting our projects (worth a lot; we spent several months on them) and this one girl's was on the effect of light on Vitamin C content. Basically, she put different juices (orange juice, lemon juice, etc.) in either clear or opaque containers and put them in the fridge. Then she tested them for change in Vitamin C levels.

Halfway through her presentation, someone raises their hand and asks "You know the light turns off when you shut the door, right?"

Classic moment in my school career. :p

Back on topic, I do NOT want to work on my college apps right now. I want to eat and take a nap.

Grey Beard
Oct 11, 2005, 04:34 PM
Nah, I dont work 24 - 7 - 365, but I have a yen to something further in the educational line soon, maybe next week, or next year, maybe.
Grey Beard

efoto
Oct 11, 2005, 09:32 PM
<snip>I had a dental appointment this AM too, but it was amazing... the traditional slow injection of anesthetic, then 2 minutes of drilling, a dab of something on a stick, and a minute with a light-curing 'flashlight' that looks like a glue gun but they hold up orange plastic shields to protect their eyes, and "That's it, it's all sealed up, you can go". Let's hear it for advanced light-curing polymers, gang.<snip>

I have a dentist appointment tomorrow morning, so tomorrow is going to start off nice and productive too :rolleyes: Thankfully mine should be nothing like yours, mine is just a routine checkup so hopefully no surprises *fingers crossed*

Nanda Devi
Oct 11, 2005, 10:04 PM
I have a dentist appointment tomorrow morning, so tomorrow is going to start off nice and productive too :rolleyes: Thankfully mine should be nothing like yours, mine is just a routine checkup so hopefully no surprises *fingers crossed*

I have a dentist appointment tomorrow afternoon, so at least I get to leave work early (and yes, I'm so sick of my job right now that even getting a filling sounds more pleasant than being at work). :(

solvs
Oct 11, 2005, 11:00 PM
I just watched Clockwatchers again. I know exactly how their characters feel. I dread going to work tomorrow. I am so going to quit soon.

3rdpath
Oct 11, 2005, 11:13 PM
I just watched Clockwatchers again. I know exactly how their characters feel. I dread going to work tomorrow. I am so going to quit soon.

"I got things ya know"

dornoforpyros
Oct 11, 2005, 11:32 PM
ooh is this the official "I hate my job thread?"

CanadaRAM
Oct 11, 2005, 11:39 PM
ooh is this the official "I hate my job thread?"
Naw, I think it's the official "I hate this thread" job...

dornoforpyros
Oct 11, 2005, 11:43 PM
Naw, I think it's the official "I hate this thread" job...

Hey that's still better than my job! :p

Some recent obervations from the office

"Everything in this office has one of two states, 'Urgent' or 'Pending', no in-between"

"I wish I could have gone to Ski School to learn graphic design"

"Making something look like **** is not an improvment!...If you could pass that long for me, that'd be great"

efoto
Oct 12, 2005, 08:25 AM
My dentist appointment, although a nice time delay from starting work, was horrible. My office must be employing temps or fresh out of college dental assistants. I thought I was going to need stitches the way she bludgeoned me! :mad:

That said, it's already nearly 930 and I just showed up, so it isn't all bad I guess :)