PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 5S or iPhone 6 if true? which one you would buy?

sjhotshot
Feb 8, 2013, 07:56 AM
- A source told Chinese mobile phone information site Laoyaoba.com that he has seen the iPhone 5S and iPhone 6 at Apple's suppliers. Both models may be released in 2013, according to the website's microblog on Thursday evening.
- The source noted that the iPhone 5S resembles the iPhone 5, and the five-inch iPhone 6 is lighter and thinner.

i would prefer the iphone 6 (4.8 or 5 inch screen) just wish its true!!

PsstGreek
Feb 8, 2013, 08:27 AM
- A source told Chinese mobile phone information site Laoyaoba.com that he has seen the iPhone 5S and iPhone 6 at Apple's suppliers. Both models may be released in 2013, according to the website's microblog on Thursday evening.
- The source noted that the iPhone 5S resembles the iPhone 5, and the five-inch iPhone 6 is lighter and thinner.

I would have to see both of them first hand, if true. Then weigh my options.

hobx
Feb 8, 2013, 08:57 AM
Even if (a big if) the source did see the six, theres no way apple is going to release both this year.

So the question is, do you Never mind. Completely mis-read your message. Ignore and move on.want a new phone in 2013 (the 5s) or 2014 (the 6)?

Edit: Never mind. Completely mis-read your message. Ignore and move on.

Appl3FTW
Feb 8, 2013, 09:28 AM
5s is probably near production now... so more than like he'd seen the 5S.

as for the 6... if apple really is doing 2 iphones for this year, then more than likely it's true. if not, it's probably the prototype of the iphone 6.

as far as my answer, i collect iphones so i'm selling my 5 to get the 5S to keep. then i'll find a way to get the 6.

Deeps
Feb 8, 2013, 09:35 AM
I would get the iPhone 6 but the 4.8 / 5" screen would be too big for me.

If it was 4.5" then i would definitely get it.

TacticalDesire
Feb 8, 2013, 09:54 AM
Whichever one has the 4.5-4.8 inch screen.

The Phazer
Feb 8, 2013, 10:27 AM
Not very interested in either at the moment, but I certainly wouldn't buy the supposed iPhone 6 as discussed that would be far, far, far too big. The 5 is already too big.

Myiphone7
Feb 8, 2013, 10:38 AM

I would get the 5 S. My priority is how easy it is to hold, use with one hand, how light it is, etc.

----------

Not very interested in either at the moment, but I certainly wouldn't buy the supposed iPhone 6 as discussed that would be far, far, far too big. The 5 is already too big.

I would say the iPhone 5 if not too big is right at the threshold of being too big. I'm still not use to it in one hand.

TacticalDesire
Feb 8, 2013, 10:39 AM
Not very interested in either at the moment, but I certainly wouldn't buy the supposed iPhone 6 as discussed that would be far, far, far too big. The 5 is already too big for me.

Fixed.

If the 5 is too big for you, you obviously have rather small hands. And while others like myself appreciate the move from 3.5 to 4, still find the screen rather cramped and is one of the reasons I went with a larger phone.

macMD
Feb 8, 2013, 08:57 PM
I would happpily purchase an iP6 with a 4.8-5" display. I can use my GS3 one handed and read the top and bottom with my thumb so Tim Cook's position on that is BS. I can even use a GN2 one handed, but a bit more strained in doing so but still.

Its nice to play the no bigger screen is needed game, but they already realized 3.5" wasn't going to cut it anymore and 4" is still not going to cut it anymore either. So make both for those who want a bigger screen. 5.5" is too big but 4.8 or 5 would be ideal.

ucfgrad93
Feb 8, 2013, 11:26 PM
I would have to see both of them first hand, if true. Then weigh my options.

Agreed. I couldn't possibly decide without knowing anything about either version.

Demonface
Feb 9, 2013, 01:04 AM
Agreed. I couldn't possibly decide without knowing anything about either version.

I agree . I also read that if they decide to make a bigger iPhone they can use the same resolution as the 5 so developers doesnt have to modify their apps. Can't remember where I read it though. :(

Beeplance
Feb 9, 2013, 01:34 AM
I would buy a phone that suit my needs.

aluren
Feb 9, 2013, 01:40 AM
Hands down the bigger screen iPhone 6.

SoLongAndroid
Feb 9, 2013, 02:41 AM
The 6 is thinner? The 5 already feels like it's going to cut into my hand, the 6 will give me paper cuts.

Hungry&Foolish
Feb 9, 2013, 02:43 AM
Neither. iphone 7 next year for sure.

ChristianJapan
Feb 9, 2013, 02:46 AM
Right now my guess would be a 5S; would need to see how a 6 would fit into pockets in daily life.

If the 6 would actually utilize the bigger screen and offer more pixels to be used it could make a difference though.

ET iPhone Home
Feb 9, 2013, 03:11 AM
If this is true, I'd choose iPhone 6. I'm up for an upgrade in June (20 months with the 4S), so this would be exciting.

Now, if this does not hold as you indicated, I will hold on to my 4S through 2014 and await the iPhone 6. Like many here that share the same opinion, the iPhone 5/5S is not an aesthetic upgrade.

Sedrick
Feb 9, 2013, 07:12 AM

Come on, a 5" iPhone that is both lighter and thinner? What kind of fool do they take us for? Batteries made of helium?

Didn't Apple prove they've gone too far already with the light/thin combination? Is the iPhone 5 not already prone to bending in your pocket?

I think "lighter and thinner" is just a mantra that fools continue to chant. Where the hell are you supposed to put chips, plugs and battery? In the other pocket?

Starrbuck
Feb 9, 2013, 07:45 AM
I'm definitely holding out for the iPhone 8.

zildMacjian
Feb 9, 2013, 07:54 AM
i cant see 2 iphones being released in the same year ! :rolleyes:

bembol
Feb 9, 2013, 09:24 AM
If Apple doesn't make changes to the Hardware & iOS I will not be buying an iPhone anytime soon.

I don't mean a 4.3" and Improving Maps, Siri, etc. I want a complete redesign like what BlackBerry did with the Z10.

stuffradio
Feb 9, 2013, 11:27 AM
If Apple truly is releasing two iPhones this year, I have to wait for the 6S because my contract expires September 2014. I am still on the iPhone 4 lol. I'll be just as psyched for my next iPhone as I was when I got my iPhone 4.

SONiC5
Feb 9, 2013, 11:37 AM
Assuming it isn't overpriced, the iPhone 6.

RichardC300
Feb 9, 2013, 12:25 PM
iPhone 6 with 4.5-5" screen and iPad mini design. Yes, please.

Throw in a better processor. Even better!

SONiC5
Feb 9, 2013, 12:38 PM
iPhone 6 with 4.5-5" screen and iPad mini design. Yes, please.

Throw in a better processor. Even better!

This!!

MacRumorUser
Feb 9, 2013, 02:33 PM
Why would a phone with a bigger screen be designated a different generation iD (iPhone 6) from the iPhone 5S.

Does that mean next year the iPhone 5S is replaced by a bigger 5" screen and faster processor making it the iPhone 6S, and then the iPhone 7 has to jump above 5" to 5.5-6" ?? Then the cycle repeats ?

Surely if two phones have same hardware albeit different screens - they would both be designated iPhone 6 but with the larger having a suffix such as 'L' to designate the bigger screen.

Having one designated a different number insinuates its a generation above the other, and in a world of new products why would anyone want to opt for the lesser generation phone over the newer / greater generation... The poll results so far are testament to this. It would be a total marketing boob to release an iPhone 5S and a 6.

I predict rather we will see iPhone 6 and iPhone 6X (or similar suffix for the bigger model if indeed there is one)

1member1
Feb 9, 2013, 02:34 PM
this pool shows why there will never be iPhone 6 this year :D or iPhone + w/e you name it.

Myiphone7
Feb 9, 2013, 02:55 PM

I would prefer the 5 S. it's very important for me to be able to hold it in one hand. I also am very interested in it being lighter. Weight is important to me as well.

Bahroo
Feb 9, 2013, 03:04 PM
I agree . I also read that if they decide to make a bigger iPhone they can use the same resolution as the 5 so developers doesnt have to modify their apps. Can't remember where I read it though. :(

Yea right, why the hell would they use the i5 resolution on a 5 inch phone? The PPI would be like below 260 which would be terrible

Demonface
Feb 9, 2013, 04:12 PM
Yea right, why the hell would they use the i5 resolution on a 5 inch phone? The PPI would be like below 260 which would be terrible

Why you getting mad with me ? Thats what I read in the article .

Bahroo
Feb 9, 2013, 05:19 PM
Why you getting mad with me ? Thats what I read in the article .

My bad im not mad at all, that wasnt my intention, i actually read that article too...but its highly illogical and would be extremely dumb if that was actually a real thought at Apple

unagimiyagi
Feb 9, 2013, 05:29 PM
For those who favor a 5 inch screen, have you used one? I assume so, but how did the lack of one-handed usability not bother you? I too have used a 4.7" phone, thinking that bigger must be better, etc. But it became apparent very quickly that I use the iphone one-handed all the time, and I did not even know it. I realized that this matters to me alot more than I would have guessed. A 4.7" screen phone also felt really beefy in the pocket, despite its thinness.

With the 3.5" screen, I felt that videos were often too small to be comfortable. The 4" I feel is the best of both worlds, but if Apple could squeeze in a 4.3" or whatever into the same form factor as the iphone 5 by getting rid of excess bezel space or even the top and bottom space below the current screen, then fine. I just don't think that a phone that is physically bigger than the iphone 5 will be usable one-handed. What size that screen actually is matters less. If they can cram a 4.7" into the same physical phone as an iphone 5, then fine. But the iphone 5 is the first and last of the flagship phones that have a reasonably sized screen.

I'm completely fine if Apple wants to diversify their iphone line. It's inevitable. It would not kill them to have 2 screen sizes. As much as they want the iphone to remain a pure vision and what Apple thinks a phone should be, there are plenty of people who don't need to be told what to like and what a phone should be. Choice isn't bad, Apple. And listening to the market wouldn't be so bad, either. But Android's multitasking and clear emphasis on inter app communication is pulling ahead. They need to stop putting so many artificial barriers into iOS ( the sandboxing), and the lack of a filesystem, or at least one folder where you can put your documents and get to them from any app. It's really getting them into trouble. I went over to Android and the possibilities were endless, although their hardware kind of stinks.

macMD
Feb 9, 2013, 08:55 PM
Is it possible that a second iphone model this year would be for the chinese market only or perhaps for china and other emerging markets where they see a lower cost phone as a way to gain more market dominance?

So far China Mobile the #1 global wireless carrier does not have it, they use a completely different wireless technology than anyone else and why wouldn't Apple want to dominate that market. After all Apple is so far behind other brands in China it would make financial sense.

sjhotshot
Feb 13, 2013, 12:34 AM
"They need to stop putting so many artificial barriers into iOS ( the sandboxing), and the lack of a filesystem, or at least one folder where you can put your documents and get to them from any app. It's really getting them into trouble. I went over to Android and the possibilities were endless, although their hardware kind of stinks."

so true!!

i wish they would come up with a folder where you put all your stuff and the apps can access it!! this would really help!!

MatthaiosSaraj
Feb 19, 2013, 05:00 AM
iPhone 6 or maybe 5s if they add features that would tempt me into buying it. iPhone 6 with larger screen (but not like note 2, that's not a phone any more), without home button, more gestures (swiping between tabs in safari, multi task bar opened like on iPad, ...) and much more os x like iOS (in terms of possibilities) would be instant must have for me

The-Real-Deal82
Feb 19, 2013, 06:46 AM
I'd personally buy the one we know nothing about yet.

noncom23
Feb 19, 2013, 12:12 PM
I would go for a bigger screen if I
could use it in place if an iPad mini
at work or otherwise. I have not
used a large screen phone as yet.

Browns2212
Feb 19, 2013, 12:49 PM
I think a 5 inch screen would be called the: iPhone5". :D

Or maybe the iPhoneV :cool:

Honestly, if they ever do a 5" iPhone, I would rather they invest in a larger battery and best processor possible and not worry SO much about how thin or light it is. Granted I don't want a brick either, but I just don't see how they could go any lighter or thinner than the 5.

My contract isn't up until Oct of 2014 so I will see what's available then and get something that suits my needs at the time.

Currently love my i5.

maxosx
Feb 19, 2013, 01:10 PM
I'd have to evaluate the quality & display size. If they've assigned their best engineers to the iWatch project, the iPhone becomes a secondary placeholder.

teknikal90
Feb 19, 2013, 01:17 PM
from the past, it seems like the main line is more about hardware and design change and the S line is about good internal changes.
The 3G was a full resdesign, but the insides was gimped for the app store - lots of apps ran sluggish on it and it couldnt even support multitasking
The 4 was a great full redesign but the insides was gimped. it was basically a turbo charged 3GS. The graphics processor was held back by the retina display. sluggish performance even on iOS 5 (only 1 software update later)
The 4s had an incredible upgrade - 2x cpu and 7x gpu.
the iPhone 5, full redesign, however, performance still comparable to the 4s. 2x of fast is still just fast, not really perceptible.

My money's on the 5S

ericrwalker
Feb 19, 2013, 01:23 PM
It depends, which one has NFC?

SR45
Feb 19, 2013, 01:33 PM
5s only ;)

kevjen888
Feb 19, 2013, 01:43 PM
the newer is always better, well in most cases. if i'm in the market, i would only wait on the 6 if it comes with bigger screen, otherwise i'd get the 5S

ericrwalker
Feb 19, 2013, 01:45 PM
the newer is always better, well in most cases. if i'm in the market, i would only wait on the 6 if it comes with bigger screen, otherwise i'd get the 5S

Ummm, sounds like they are saying they are both going to be released at the same time or close to the same time. If that were the case the 5S and the 6 would both be the same age.

R.Stoychev
Feb 19, 2013, 02:09 PM
Iphone 6 :rolleyes:

Agent-P
Feb 19, 2013, 03:02 PM
I'd go with the 5S. 4.3" is the absolute biggest I'm willing to go with a smartphone screen if I am given the choice.

miss.manson
Feb 19, 2013, 03:04 PM
"They need to stop putting so many artificial barriers into iOS ( the sandboxing), and the lack of a filesystem, or at least one folder where you can put your documents and get to them from any app. It's really getting them into trouble. I went over to Android and the possibilities were endless, although their hardware kind of stinks."

so true!!

i wish they would come up with a folder where you put all your stuff and the apps can access it!! this would really help!!

I disagree. I feel that the current system on iOS is more organized and easier. Simplicity is what makes iOS so great, IMHO.

Wicked1
Feb 19, 2013, 03:50 PM
Maybe the 6, not bothering with the S models anymore, seems like a waste of money just to have the newest model every year.

If the 6 is not a killer phone with at least a 4/5" display and major iOS updates I might just be done with the iPhone after 5 loyal years so far, and owning every model except the first I had the 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5 and I have to say I am not impressed with the 5 at all, most trouble I have ever had with a phone.

TyPod
Feb 19, 2013, 04:01 PM
the iPhone 6, but hopefully that isn't getting released anytime even NEAR soon.

quietstormSD
Feb 20, 2013, 12:54 AM
I have an iPhone 4S, I would honestly wait for an iPhone 6 (larger/wider screen), rather then being eligible for an upgrade and having a taller(compared to the 4S) with beefed up specs(compared to the iPhone 5) iPhone 5S.

Sedrick
Feb 20, 2013, 04:24 PM
For those who favor a 5 inch screen, have you used one? I assume so, but how did the lack of one-handed usability not bother you?
I don't use my iPhone to masturbate or text and drive, so I usually have two hands available if I need. What's the infatuation with having to do every single function with one hand anyway?

The-Real-Deal82
Feb 21, 2013, 01:28 AM
Probably the same question could be asked for the obsession for wanting the biggest screen possible.

Sounds Good
Feb 21, 2013, 04:45 PM
If Apple comes out with a 5" iPhone soon, I'll buy it. But if the Samsung Galaxy S4 comes out first, I'll be mighty tempted to give Android a try.