PDA

View Full Version : Apple Hires Senior OLED Expert from LG Display

MacRumors
Feb 8, 2013, 10:36 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/08/apple-hires-senior-oled-expert-from-lg-display/)

Apple has hired a senior researcher in organic light-emitting diode (OLED) display technology from LG, reports OLED-Info (http://www.oled-info.com/apple-poaches-senior-oled-research-lg-display) (via BrightWire (https://www.brightwire.com/news/263994-apple-recruits-former-senior-researcher-at-lg-display)), potentially signaling renewed interest in the technology.Apple has hired a new executive into its Display group - Dr. Jueng Jil Lee, a former research fellow at LG Display, who apparently was involved with printing technology research. Dr. Lee's previous employee (before LGD) was Cambridge Display Technology, the P-OLED pioneer (now owned by Sumitomo).http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/02/OLED.jpg

OLED has a number of advantages over LCD screens, including brighter colors with deeper blacks, wider viewing angles, faster response times and greater power efficiency. The technology is also being used to develop flexible screens, something that Apple has shown interest in (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/27/apple-researching-flexible-iphone-displays/), although it is unknown if the company has any concrete plans to bring a product featuring such technology to market.

Apple has been rumored to be looking at OLED technology for many years, but cost issues and other limitations have so far kept the company tied to LCD technology for its products.

Article Link: Apple Hires Senior OLED Expert from LG Display (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/08/apple-hires-senior-oled-expert-from-lg-display/)

ArtOfWarfare
Feb 8, 2013, 10:41 AM
Having an entirely flexible iOS device could be interesting... if it's able to simply fold over itself, you could flex it to be any size... everyone could be happy... although I suppose that's probably still a long ways away...

slffl
Feb 8, 2013, 10:47 AM
Obviously for the iWatch. I hope they solve the neon greens and blue whites that are in the Samsung OLEDs. I can't stand the way those look!

charlieegan3
Feb 8, 2013, 10:47 AM
Is it bad that as soon as I hear the words: LG and Screen I think of image retention? rMBP...

Jamo12
Feb 8, 2013, 10:49 AM
I find it odd that they do this. They, arguably, have the best display on any phone. Time will tell I guess. Unless IGZO is an OLED tech? I haven't looked it up enough to know

lunarworks
Feb 8, 2013, 10:51 AM
OLED isn't suitable for the iPhone quite yet, but it will be eventually.

(Also, it's a shame that the buying public seems to prefer OLED's artificial-looking, blown out, oversaturated colours over LCD's natural colours.)

Squilly
Feb 8, 2013, 10:59 AM
LG has too many issues for me to want to trust them... not only in Apple products.

bettaboy123
Feb 8, 2013, 11:06 AM
LCDs are my preference. OLEDs usually look bad (on my Galaxy Nexus, the Note II, my RAZR Maxx, S3, and tons of other less popular devices. And white screens decrease power efficiency a ton! I switched Twitter clients and backgrounds and keyboards to help show more black and less greys, whites, and colors. iPhones 4+, my iPad 3, the Droid DNA, One X, and other LCDs look much better.

----------

I find it odd that they do this. They, arguably, have the best display on any phone. Time will tell I guess. Unless IGZO is an OLED tech? I haven't looked it up enough to know

IGZO is LCD tech. The Droid DNA uses it, increasing its power efficiency, even with whites and colors to much lower than OLED. Even with a 1080p panel.

Caseynd
Feb 8, 2013, 11:18 AM
I hope they come up with some exciting new products!

samcraig
Feb 8, 2013, 11:32 AM

(Also, it's a shame that the buying public seems to prefer OLED's artificial-looking, blown out, oversaturated colours over LCD's natural colours.)

I find it a shame that most people are duped into thinking that HD is all about pixel/screen size and fail to consider bitrate. And that netflix, Apple, hulu, etc all market their products as HD (which technically they are) and the buying public thinks they are getting the same quality as blu-ray.

But what can you do?

SockRolid
Feb 8, 2013, 11:37 AM
[...] Apple has been rumored to be looking at OLED technology for many years, but cost issues and other limitations have so far kept the company tied to LCD technology for its products. [...]

Apple received a patent on OLED panel production on Feb. 5, 2013.
That in itself isn't proof of anything. Patents are cheap. But once in a while,
Apple patents something that they actually do use in products.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/02/apple-wins-40-granted-patents-covering-such-matters-as-key-ios-interfaces-oled-fabrication-compass-calibration-much-more.html

dbernie41
Feb 8, 2013, 11:38 AM
First thing thats comes to my mind is instantly TVs... no one else?

Glassed Silver
Feb 8, 2013, 11:39 AM
I missed the word "IPS" in the article somewhere. *phew*

Glassed Silver:mac

nuckinfutz
Feb 8, 2013, 11:43 AM
The OLED technology could be coming in a HDTV.

I was at CES and saw LG, Panasonic and Samsungs (Curved OLED) OLED displays and they looked absolutely fantastic.

fertilized-egg
Feb 8, 2013, 11:46 AM

IGZO is the technology used to make transistors behind the panel so it could be used for OLED. But we already have LTPS being used for both OLED and LCD and LTPS is better than IGZO in many ways.

The main advantage of IGZO for LTPS is that it's cheaper and easier for large panels but it's actually not as good as the currently used technology for the phones despite some hype that make it sound as if IGZO is the best one. For iPad IGZO is a big news but for iPhones, not so much.

I think eventually we'll have OLED for phones but at this point I much prefer the LCD since OLED hasn't matured fully yet in too many aspects.

nagromme
Feb 8, 2013, 12:03 PM
Makes sense that they keep on top of the tech. Looks nice in total darkness (not so good in sunlight), if you don't want accurate color--which I'd think software could help with.

But I hope the longevity and yellowing (over time) issues have been solved before Apple considers selling OLED.

And please, never ever do Pentile!

Mic'sBook
Feb 8, 2013, 12:11 PM
IMO, in terms of colour accuracy, IPS is better than OLED/AMOLED/and few others related to OLED.

Worse still, it seems that OLED-related displays tend to have display burn-in issue. Take Samsung Galaxy SII and SIII as examples, on the web you can find many users complaining they have this problem.

But I don't know whether OLED technology is a must for designing flexible displays.

NoNothing
Feb 8, 2013, 12:15 PM
Having seen IGZO, I have 0 interest in OLED.

ConCat
Feb 8, 2013, 12:33 PM
An OLED display contains fish semen. You be the judge.

Good luck on getting a straight answer on what the "O" in "OLED" means though. Most sources simply define it as "genetic material". :p

Oh yes, here's an old article I can cite. Cheers: Salmon Sperm Used to Intensify LEDs Grossify Everyone (http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/11/salmon-sperm-used-to-intensify-leds-grossify-everyone/)

coder12
Feb 8, 2013, 12:35 PM
Having an entirely flexible iOS device could be interesting... if it's able to simply fold over itself, you could flex it to be any size... everyone could be happy... although I suppose that's probably still a long ways away...

Do they have a way of manufacturing flexible processors yet? That would be cool!

levitynyc
Feb 8, 2013, 12:52 PM
The best screen I own including a 63" plasma, an iPad 3 and an iPhone 5, is the OLED on my Playstation Vita

BC2009
Feb 8, 2013, 02:13 PM
OLED has a number of advantages over LCD screens, including brighter colors with deeper blacks, wider viewing angles, faster response times and greater power efficiency.

Brighter Colors? I don't think so. This is its weakness versus IPS LCD.

Deeper Blacks? Yes

Wider Viewing Angles? Seriously? Greater than 178 degrees? Is it 178.5?

Faster Response Times? Yes

Greater Power Efficiency? Yes

Irishman
Feb 8, 2013, 02:57 PM

It's not the display technology that makes color more or less accurate.

It's the manner in which they are controlled in software.

To be accurate. There's no reason that an OLED screen can't look as accurate as an LCD or plasma for that matter, if we're talking something larger like an HDTV.

Jensend
Feb 8, 2013, 08:52 PM
Brighter Colors? I don't think so. This is its weakness versus IPS LCD.

Wider Viewing Angles? Seriously? Greater than 178 degrees? Is it 178.5?

OLED usually can cover a wider gamut to colors. The problem is that images are designed for a different, smaller profile.

Viewing angle specifications are more worthless at describing how a monitor outputs light than a GHZ rating is for describing how a processor performs. I think the 178 degree is a measure of when the contrast ratio or brightness gets to 10% of their original values, or something like that. An OLED display has much less brightness falloff as the viewing angle changes.

BC2009
Feb 8, 2013, 10:12 PM
OLED usually can cover a wider gamut to colors. The problem is that images are designed for a different, smaller profile.

Viewing angle specifications are more worthless at describing how a monitor outputs light than a GHZ rating is for describing how a processor performs. I think the 178 degree is a measure of when the contrast ratio or brightness gets to 10% of their original values, or something like that. An OLED display has much less brightness falloff as the viewing angle changes.

Interesting stuff.

I just read in another comment that Samsung keeps the brightness down on their OLED smartphones to conserve battery life. Can OLED get brighter with geometrically or exponentially higher power consumption? In practice, every OLED screen I see on a smartphone has terrible brightness and white levels. The contrast ratios are only so high because the black levels are so darn good.

aapl-danial
Feb 9, 2013, 12:44 AM
Yes!

Michaehm
Feb 9, 2013, 12:50 AM
That would be cool!
__________________http://flash.********************/11.jpg
http://flash.********************/12.jpg

hogo
Feb 9, 2013, 04:07 AM
The watch cometh.

carlgo
Feb 9, 2013, 09:41 AM
A truly flexible screen could make for a fabulous Apple-esque TV set. If the color, etc was good of course.

gm713
Feb 9, 2013, 02:28 PM
How about an iPad Nano that wraps around your wrist, doubles as a watch?

Moonjumper
Feb 10, 2013, 08:48 AM
OLED is still maturing as a technology, IGZO is at an even earlier stage. Both have great potential, but there is no guarantee that anything will come of it. It makes sense to be developing both if it is affordable (and Apple does have the money). Backing all horses means you will always get the winner.

FloatingBones
Feb 10, 2013, 01:42 PM
It's a good thing that Apple and LG don't have a no-hire policy. :D

Galatian
Feb 10, 2013, 04:26 PM

Good luck on getting a straight answer on what the "O" in "OLED" means though. Most sources simply define it as "genetic material". :p

Oh yes, here's an old article I can cite. Cheers: Salmon Sperm Used to Intensify LEDs Grossify Everyone (http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/11/salmon-sperm-used-to-intensify-leds-grossify-everyone/)

You're probably trolling, but as a med student I can tell you that there are several known substances that have been found in...errr let's just say awkward places in flora and fauna.

ConCat
Feb 10, 2013, 06:09 PM
You're probably trolling, but as a med student I can tell you that there are several known substances that have been found in...errr let's just say awkward places in flora and fauna.

I'm trolling? Here's how MR defines it: Trolling. Do not post in order to anger other members or intentionally cause negative reactions. For a given post, this can be a subjective call, but a pattern of such posting or an especially egregious case will get you banned.

Trolling gets you banned. Quoting gross facts relevant to the article does not. Call me crazy but I do not want salmon sperm in my mobile products. Also, what do flora and fauna have to do with anything whatsoever? :confused:

Galatian
Feb 10, 2013, 06:17 PM
I'm trolling? Here's how MR defines it:

Trolling gets you banned. Quoting gross facts relevant to the article does not. Call me crazy but I do not want salmon sperm in my mobile products. Also, what do flora and fauna have to do with anything whatsoever? :confused:

Geez they just found out at a certain substance in salmon sperm enhances OLEDs. That doesn't mean they use salmon sperm.

My point was, that a lot of beneficial substances have been found throughout various excretions from plants and animals.

Or: did you ever wondered how they made your flu shot?

ConCat
Feb 10, 2013, 07:37 PM
Geez they just found out at a certain substance in salmon sperm enhances OLEDs. That doesn't mean they use salmon sperm.

My point was, that a lot of beneficial substances have been found throughout various excretions from plants and animals.

Or: did you ever wondered how they made your flu shot?

They do use salmon sperm. It's readily available and prior to OLEDs, the stuff was thrown out. It was considered waste in the fishing industry. Plenty of nasty things are used everywhere, certainly, but once you know how it's made, it's tough to go back to the time where you didn't. Don't see why I should have to explain this to you, but oh well... :rolleyes:

Renzatic
Feb 10, 2013, 07:52 PM
Trolling gets you banned. Quoting gross facts relevant to the article does not. Call me crazy but I do not want salmon sperm in my mobile products.

As long as you don't break the screen, and it doesn't smell at all, you don't really have to deal with it. Hell, they could use cow snot for all I care, so long as it produces a nice image.

Though I do have to admit that, in this situation, ignorance was kinda blissful.

Sayer
Feb 11, 2013, 12:45 AM
This is probably for a new project that will take two to three years to reach fruition, if at all.

Most likely it's for some future "wearable" technology ideas brewing inside Apple as with all other major tech companies who can afford the research.

OLEDs have horrible burn-in problems and tend to literally decay after a year or two, not the best thing for long-term use like a computer display (or TV).

eXoticon
Feb 11, 2013, 01:18 AM
Having seen IGZO, I have 0 interest in OLED.

What do you mean? IGZO and OLED are technologies related to different parts of the display and they can be used together.

Galatian
Feb 11, 2013, 02:02 PM
They do use salmon sperm. It's readily available and prior to OLEDs, the stuff was thrown out. It was considered waste in the fishing industry. Plenty of nasty things are used everywhere, certainly, but once you know how it's made, it's tough to go back to the time where you didn't. Don't see why I should have to explain this to you, but oh well... :rolleyes:

They didn't use salmon sperm per se. They extracted the saDNA out of it and combined with a substance so it became water unsollutable.
The point he was making with the salmon sperm was that you could use an otherwise waste product for this, but for a mass production it is just not feasible and definitely not as efficient as simply using a PCR to quickly produce lots of DNA.

michealwillard
Feb 11, 2013, 03:33 PM

So you're saying they can make an edible phone?

ConCat
Feb 11, 2013, 04:20 PM
So you're saying they can make an edible phone?

You eat salmon sperm? :eek:

dbyway
Feb 11, 2013, 09:34 PM
Is it bad that as soon as I hear the words: LG and Screen I think of image retention? rMBP...

I had that but mine was a Samsung screen.

doelcm82
Feb 11, 2013, 11:14 PM

So does water, according to W.C. Fields (explaining why he preferred to drink gin).