Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 29, 2001
Why doesn't apple make their own CPUs. Then they wouldn't have to wait on motorola to finish it for them.
I don't know if its possible for apple to make them but it would be something to see.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
They don't have the money to set it up, and they don't have the money to hire the brains to do it. (They probably do have the money, but it would be far from economical).

Plus, who's to say that Apple would be much better at the whole chip-making thing than Motorola is?

mozez

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2001
it's actually quite simple, money, apple doesn't have the cash to to make all the research and development for chips, they just didn't go that way when they started, it's the same reason dell, hp, compaq, micron, and any other doesn't make the chips, they make the machines, apple does just that, most of apple's software they never make either, they just buy other people's, like itunes is actually soundjam if you remember that program, osx was bought and so are most everything else, apple is a company just like others of the same kind, they put the computers together, they make partnerships with others, like motorolla so that they both make a profit, motorolla needs help so they go to ibm, it's a chain, and it's business.

Wash!!

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2002
here, there, who knows
Apple bought OS X from NeXt computer ( a Steve Jobs company).
I saw it all along Steve created Next with the mac in mind when the timing was right he came back and give us OS X.
Them proving that he was right and they (Apple board of directors) was wrong from firing him backl in the early 90's.

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
Originally posted by Wash!!
Apple bought OS X from NeXt computer ( a Steve Jobs company).
I saw it all along Steve created Next with the mac in mind when the timing was right he came back and give us OS X.
Them proving that he was right and they (Apple board of directors) was wrong from firing him backl in the early 90's.

Jobs left Apple in the spring of 1985 after a dispute with John Sculley, the same man Jobs headhunted to Apple from Pepsi Co, with the following words: «Do you want to sell sugarwater the rest of your life, or do you want to come with me and change the world»...

Tomasz

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2001
Berkeley, California
Also, there is one other reason. When a chip isn't released, the blame is on who? Motorola, not Apple.

If Apple was making the chips, it would make them look bad, instead they are able to say, "Our partner was not able to finish the chip in time. We wanted to introduce something faster, but they slowed us down. We will try to get them to do better."

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
Motorola's other customers...

I suspect that Motorola's only other PPC customers are car and appliance manufacturer's who buy the lower end PPC chips for use in embedded devices. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that Apple is Motorola's only customer who buys high end PPC chips for use in computers.

BurntCalc

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2002
Tucson
Re: Motorola's other customers...

Originally posted by Xapplimatic
I suspect that Motorola's only other PPC customers are car and appliance manufacturer's who buy the lower end PPC chips for use in embedded devices. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that Apple is Motorola's only customer who buys high end PPC chips for use in computers.

Well, Apple is the only high end G4 customer. IBM uses G3's in its own servers, I believe. :eek:

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
dont you think some other company..wither already established or establishes itself for this purpose...needs to step up and offer Apple a better deal with this whole chip thing? maybe those companies that are known for only building chips and not known for creating and supplying multiple products ranging from cell phones to oven cleaners...are better since they focus all thier effort in making the one thing they make?
i dont know ..im just guessing here...trying to figure it all out. i cant understand why the hell motorolla would not be up to par ON TIME with what Apple wants...thats just very odd.

Buggy

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2001
Canada
It is a good question to ask considering Apple likes to have so much control over everything,. However chip research, design, testing, manufacturing and sales is a very large endevour. Much too much for Apple to take on. Apple wants to build computers, not to sell chips to car manufacturers, aerospace industry, for other computer devices, etc.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I heard somewhere that AMD's parent company is Motorola, if so, then maybe they should farm the Mac chips to AMD and let Motorola concentrate on other things. AMD has done an excellent job on their own processors, which I think would bring good things to the G4 and higher processors.

It might even be good for AMD since many companies have buckled to pressure from intel to use only pentiums for their systems. Apple could provide the extra revenue that they are missing.

Maybe the suggestion should be put to Apple and see where it goes. Who knows.

Microsoft_Windows_Hater

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2001
IBM

I think the key is that IBM take control of Motorola's chip making facilities and their patents. If they do then IBM can surely sell more than Motorola and produce more chips on time for Apple. Doesn't SGI want G5's? Also I am sure that SUN would be happy to part with its chip making and fit either intel or PPC some day and who better to get chips from than IBM?

Also IBM has the money...Apple does, but would not want to risk it. Hopefully Motorola does something good soon or Mac's will be slightly underpowered. Hell, why not change to IBM PPC chips? They are cheaper than Motorola ones and I am sure that IBM have some designs for high end versions...

mozez

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2001
no sgi doesn't want g5s, god, and no ibm doesn't use g3s in their servers. sgi, one, is going under, and the one company that might buy them is they so choose is sun, for hardware reasons. the stock for sgi dropped like a rock, why, they went nt, b/c software went nt, and when you could build a pc for half the cost at twice the speed of an sgi, sgi died. we all saw that oen coming, try buying their stock, it's below a buck, or just over right now. amd is already working on apple chips. the g5 is using the quad speed architecture of the xp and mp chips from amd, it's on their site they talk about it, brag about it.

anshelm

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2002
"the g5 is using the quad speed architecture of the xp and mp chips from amd, it's on their site they talk about it, brag about it."

I would be most interested to read about this. I've been searching AMD's site a lot since I read your post, but haven't been able to find an article that mentions that. Could you post a link?

(The closest I can find is that AMD and Motorola made a deal in 1998 that lets Motorola use AMD's flash memory stuff, and let's AMD use Motorola's SOI. And it mentions that they will "collaborate on the development of future logic process technology platforms featuring copper interconnects. These advanced process technology platforms will be used to build powerful microprocessors: PowerPC[tm] processors for Motorola and K86[tm] Microsoft Windows compatible processors for AMD."

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543_554~908,00.html

According to an old article I found on CNET (http://yahoo.com.com/2100-1040-253446.html?legacy=cnet), AMD at that time might consider letting Motorola have it's chips fabbed at it's Dresden plant. Since you state that AMD has been making Apple chips, I would venture a guess that AMD is letting Motorola fab there. Correct?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.