Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pndrgnsvc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Georgetown, Texas
FWIW, this worked for me—

Like others, I was constantly plagued with the dreaded oil slick. I would open the case and clean the inside of the plastic screen protector with a micro-fiber cloth. But, alas, the slick just moved to a (slightly) different location. It was driving me nuts. I must have done this 20 times.

Then, I discovered that I must breath on the offending spot and then vigorously, very vigorously, rub the offending spot with the micro-fiber cloth for about 30-60 seconds. And that worked. Now, zero spots. Though I still fear that should I open the case, the spots will return when next closed.

I suspect (guess) there is a microscopic film residue remaining from the time the plastic was manufactured. It is not the cleaning per-se that resolves the issue, but the actual rubbing/wearing off of the film that did the trick.

HTH

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Be very careful cleaning the inside of the screen. It is NOT scratch resistant like the outside. I know several people who have scratched the inside of their screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.