Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple announced their 2005 4th Quarter earnings today.

Apple posted revenue of $3.68 billion and net quarterly profit of $430 million, or $.50 per diluted share. In the same quarter last year, Apple posted $2.35 billion in revenue and a net profit of $105 million or $.13 per diluted share. Gross margins were 28.1% (up from 27%).

1,236,000 Macintosh units and 6,451,00 iPods were shipped this quarter. This represents a 48% growth in Mac shipments and a 220% growth in iPod shipments over last year's corresponding quarter.

We're thrilled to have concluded the best year in Apple's history, with 68 percent year-over-year revenue growth and 384 percent net profit growth," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "This is the direct result of our focus on innovation and the immense talent and creativity at Apple. We could not be more excited about the new products we're working on for 2006."

"We're very pleased to report 48 percent year-over-year growth in Mac shipments in Q4, as well as our 10th consecutive quarter of record iPod sales," said Peter Oppenheimer, Apple's CFO."

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Wow. Terrific revenue growth and Mac sales growth. Would appear at first blush to bode very well.

Bob

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Great news, but I wonder how long Apple can sustain these numbers for - eventualy they'll have to slow down, or begin to drop. Although, with the iPod video coming out soon, maybe not... ;)

I think the move to Intel will help these figures as well, in gettnig more switchers to the platform. :cool:

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Wow, that is awesome. With growth like that there market share should be going up shouldn't it?

Now about those iPod "killers", they seem to have done the reverse and made it more popular.

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Looks like everyone who bought the stock in anticipation for the Q4 results sold. Almost an hour after market close the stock is trading down almost 10 percent and falling. I'm looking at Nasdaq Level II quotes and the buyers are all lined up at 46 a share. I guess I am glad I stayed out of it the last couple weeks. :)

Mind you, buying at $40 a couple months ago and then selling just before market close today might have been nice. ;)

Hopefully these after hour trades will mean nothing tomorrow. I'd like to see Apple continue to grow.

Sunrunner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2003
yippy said:
Wow, that is awesome. With growth like that there market share should be going up shouldn't it?

Now about those iPod "killers", they seem to have done the reverse and made it more popular.

Very true... Ive seen at least a dozen products come out over the last year that claimed to be an "iPod Killer", and not a single one did anything but flop hard. Go Apple.

.....Now if Napster would hurry up and go bankrupt; its already running in the red.....

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Share price down 8%. Some people are hard to please.

However, Apple's revenue of $3.68 billion was shy of analysts' $3.74 billion consensus estimate, sending Apple shares down more than 8% in after-hours trading.
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/newsfinder/pulseone.asp?siteid=mktw&guid={8B0D9CED-C88C-469B-BCF7-05C6D3429E1F}&dist=bnb

iMacSE500

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2005
M
Were people expecting better numbers? Because I just checked Apples stock price and after hours it has dropped $5.46 (10.58%). But I would like to think those are great numbers. Steve Jobs seems to be doing a great job. He is earning his pay (isnt his yearly cash pay like $1). Well, he deserves the fat options he is probably getting.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
<Aerosmith>Train Kept A Rollin'</Aerosmith>

Is that $3.68 Billion just below analyst projections? I recall seeing a figure of $3.73 Billion, but cannot find it now.
Impressive number of Macs and iPods sold, though. Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings. My birthday is around the corner...

jaredbbauer

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2001
Salt Lake City
Then why is the stock down $5.00 in afterhours?

I don't understand why investors hate this information and the stock has dropped so rapidly in afterhour trading... Anybody know?

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
iGary said:
I helped....a lot....this quarter. :D :rolleyes:

Yeah I was in on this too-- my $1200 ibook was instrumental, I'm sure. This is good news. Who would have thought that the margins would actually go UP in the computer business?

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
The Apple release states this is the company's highest revenues and earnings in its history.

Sunrunner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2003
darkwing said:
Looks like everyone who bought the stock in anticipation for the Q4 results sold. Almost an hour after market close the stock is trading down almost 10 percent and falling. I'm looking at Nasdaq Level II quotes and the buyers are all lined up at 46 a share. I guess I am glad I stayed out of it the last couple weeks. :)

Mind you, buying at $40 a couple months ago and then selling just before market close today might have been nice. ;)

Hopefully these after hour trades will mean nothing tomorrow. I'd like to see Apple continue to grow.

Thats likely just profit taking in action.... Funds want to bolster thair yearly reports.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Very good--in line (~50%) with the Mac marketshare growth reported earlier today.

I guess the huge pre-Intel Mac sales slump (which even I expected) never happened.

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2004
im guessing its falling bc the # of ipods sold? werent they expecting 8.5million? they got like 6.5

Evan_11

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2004
I think with the switch to Intel we'll see even greater growth. For example my dad who is in the process of buying a new PC asked about when the switch would happen. A Mac mini would be perfect for him but he still has that prejudice about buying. Having an intel inside which will make it easier for developers to port software can establish a peace of mind for these types of switchers. To be honost outside of solitare I don't know of any specific Windows only software that he uses anymore.

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
nagromme said:
Very good--in line (~50%) with the Mac marketshare growth reported earlier today.

I guess the huge pre-Intel Mac sales slump (which even I expected) never happened.

For most users (besides us mac geeks) which processor is irrevelant. The question that users ask themselves is it fast enough for my needs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.