Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amrives

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2012
If anyone is reading these threads because they are considering buying a MacBook Air, whether it be 13" or 11", just pull the trigger. It's a beast. This computer is on fire.

I have the 11" 1.7ghz i5 128gb 8gb RAM model. I got it right at $875 and man i could not be happier for what I got it for. It will carry out all the needs of my girlfriend while she is at school and in class and when she gets home i can leave my 2.3 i7 Mac Mini plugged into the TV downstairs and take the Air upstairs and use my audio interfaces with no lag and great response. Runs Logic and Ableton like a champ. I haven't had a chance to game at all on this laptop so if anyone wants to give me some advice on a good game I can play in relatively high graphics that would be nice, but I LOVE THIS LITTLE COMPUTER!

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
Where did you get it from for that price!!?

I got the basic 64 gig 11inch for 605 and thought that was a steal..

Anyway, even the base model is definitely a nice computer, and a beast considering what many other people currently use..

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
Whatever config you get, these things are so awesome. They're so tiny, yet so powerful.

Rob

rufhausen

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Littleton, CO
I was thinking about posting a similar thread. I just received a refurbished 2012 13" i5 with 4GB RAM and 256GB SSD and I would describe it as the perfect laptop. Plenty of power, fast, and light.
I wish I had gotten it sooner.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
If u wanto keep gushing about ur purchase, I suggest staying away from the latest & greatest games 'coz the fan is gonna come on real loud and hot. Just saying. ^)

Vikinguy

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
The SSD doesn't really shine until you've had it for a couple of weeks. Then you really start to notice just how blazing it is.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
If u wanto keep gushing about ur purchase, I suggest staying away from the latest & greatest games 'coz the fan is gonna come on real loud and hot. Just saying. ^)

I run all the latest and greatest games and my MBA does not have this issue. Probably becuase I've got a Windows PC with an i7 and GTX 680 for that. Point being, no one buys an MBA as a gaming computer.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I run all the latest and greatest games and my MBA does not have this issue. Probably becuase I've got a Windows PC with an i7 and GTX 680 for that. Point being, no one buys an MBA as a gaming computer.

Tell that to OP.

U saw her blonde beauty, u finally marry her, but for God's safe do not ask her what she thinks about particle physics! :D

alan7467

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
If anyone is reading these threads because they are considering buying a MacBook Air, whether it be 13" or 11", just pull the trigger. It's a beast. This computer is on fire.

I have the 11" 1.7ghz i5 128gb 8gb RAM model. I got it right at $875 and man i could not be happier for what I got it for. It will carry out all the needs of my girlfriend while she is at school and in class and when she gets home i can leave my 2.3 i7 Mac Mini plugged into the TV downstairs and take the Air upstairs and use my audio interfaces with no lag and great response. Runs Logic and Ableton like a champ. I haven't had a chance to game at all on this laptop so if anyone wants to give me some advice on a good game I can play in relatively high graphics that would be nice, but I LOVE THIS LITTLE COMPUTER!

If the 13" is any indication it sounds like you should be able to run source games really well (portal, half life). It also sounds like star craft 2 runs well.

Talon Six

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2012
The Gulf Coast
I also jumped on the 13" MBA bandwagon last week. I'm headed overseas for a one-year job, and the Mac mini + TB Display would be a bit much to haul around. Enter the MBA. I've been extremely pleased with it's performance so far and the price was very good - got it from Macmall with that sale they had going last week and wound up paying USD $1610 for the 13" i7, 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD.

Of course the accessorizing bug set in right away and I've got a Bookbook and an STM Velo bag en route. I'm still on the hunt for speakers and I'm leaning toward the JBL Flip.

My only minor complaint is the screen brightness, but I've been spoiled for the last year by the TB display.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Tell that to OP.

U saw her blonde beauty, u finally marry her, but for God's safe do not ask her what she thinks about particle physics! :D

If he's expecting "relatively high graphics" on newer more demanding games, he will certainly be disappointed and bought the wrong machine in every sense (wrong form factor in being an ultrabook, wrong operating system)

Something like Counter Strike on high settings is certainly possible. But if you want to play Black Ops 2, BF3, Assassins Creed 3, Crysis etc etc, yeah... Not going to happen on high.

OnlyGerman

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2010
Yeah the air has gotten better and now is the best for the price ,the SSD is awesome and fast.

Karr271

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2011
Where did you get it from for that price!!?

I got the basic 64 gig 11inch for 605 and thought that was a steal..

Anyway, even the base model is definitely a nice computer, and a beast considering what many other people currently use..

Did you buy it online? I'm interested in an 11" and that's a great price!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.