PDA

View Full Version : Apple plans 35-40 new retail stores in 2006.

MacBytes
Oct 11, 2005, 05:12 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Apple plans 35-40 new retail stores in 2006. (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051011181230)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

winmacguy
Oct 11, 2005, 05:25 PM
This all sounds very promising unless your an Apple re-seller. I wouldnt mind seeing an Apple store in NZ some time in the future, along with ITMS for NZ/Australia :D

SiliconAddict
Oct 11, 2005, 05:52 PM
And 90% of them will be in California or other locations that have several bajillion Apple stores already. :rolleyes: I personally can't complain. I have one store within 15 minutes of me. Another store 10 minutes from work and one about 45 from either place. I feel for everyone who has to drive hours to get to a store.

iDM
Oct 11, 2005, 05:57 PM
And 90% of them will be in California or other locations that have several bajillion Apple stores already. :rolleyes: I personally can't complain. I have one store within 15 minutes of me. Another store 10 minutes from work and one about 45 from either place. I feel for everyone who has to drive hours to get to a store.

I'm not agreeing/disagreeing but did you hear they were mostly planned for Cali?

nagromme
Oct 11, 2005, 06:08 PM
It would seem that Apple does a LOT of research before placing their stores. If several stores are in one city, then it's because the balance of population, local traffic patterns, buying demographics, and rent costs make that sensible. It doesn't mean stores won't be coming to other areas.

Nor are Apple Stores the only places to get Macs. CompUSA in particular has been a great source in my experience--complete with Apple staff and the latest goodies on display to play with.

ipacmm
Oct 11, 2005, 06:26 PM
35-40 Stores...thats a lot of new stores opening up next year. I hope that Apple can make all of them successful.

Trowaman
Oct 11, 2005, 06:30 PM
Nor are Apple Stores the only places to get Macs. CompUSA in particular has been a great source in my experience--complete with Apple staff and the latest goodies on display to play with.

I want to work at the Apple Store, problem is Houston Galleria is an hour away downtown. However, I got a Fry's that I had an interview at today where they are putting me in software. Maybe someday an Apple store will come to the NASA area and I can go there.

Someday.

PS, check out ifoapplestore (http://www.ifoapplestore.com) for a comprehensive list of Apple stores that have come out and are on their way out. Great website for Apple store focus.

Trowaman
Oct 11, 2005, 06:35 PM
35-40 Stores...thats a lot of new stores opening up next year. I hope that Apple can make all of them successful.

Remember, we were promised 40 stores this year, 25 by Sept 30 (end fiscal quarter). We hit 124 by sept 30, 125 is this weekend in NYC.

there SHOULD be 15 stores left to open before the year ends, including 2 in south california, Salt Lake City, Dallas' 3ed at Northpark, Manchester UK, and London's second at Brent Cross.

aswitcher
Oct 11, 2005, 06:40 PM
Well maybe 2006 is the year for Australia...

Daveway
Oct 11, 2005, 06:43 PM
I get dibs on a $100 bet that none of those 40 are put in Louisiana.

sjk
Oct 11, 2005, 06:44 PM
CompUSA in particular has been a great source in my experience--complete with Apple staff and the latest goodies on display to play with.Not here, though I haven't been to CompUSA for about a year so maybe they've improved.

iDM
Oct 11, 2005, 06:46 PM
It would seem that Apple does a LOT of research before placing their stores. If several stores are in one city, then it's because the balance of population, local traffic patterns, buying demographics, and rent costs make that sensible. It doesn't mean stores won't be coming to other areas.

It seems some people don't like shopping at stores other than the Apple Store, I heard some people joking about buying from stores other then Apple, in my experience however there has been no problem, my parents bought a iMac G4.

coolfactor
Oct 11, 2005, 07:27 PM
This all sounds very promising unless your an Apple re-seller. I wouldnt mind seeing an Apple store in NZ some time in the future, along with ITMS for NZ/Australia :D

Yah, we got one store for the entire country of Canada, and it's on the other side!

BenRoethig
Oct 11, 2005, 09:00 PM

Not while there's a street corner left in New York, L.A., or Chicago.

BenRoethig
Oct 11, 2005, 09:03 PM

16 year old CompUSA PC zealot: Mac, why would you want one of those? They don't have any software, no games, no illegal download programs, and aren't 3 billion gigahertz. Why would you want one of them? Check out this awesome HP celeron machine.

Chacala_Nayarit
Oct 11, 2005, 09:11 PM
It would be nice to have an Apple Store in Olympia, WA. The area seems affluent enough. The nearest Apple Store is an hour + drive north to Seattle, Tukwila, or Bellevue.

Now an ITMS or Apple Store in any Latin American country would be a first. :rolleyes:

yinyang
Oct 11, 2005, 09:38 PM
Well maybe 2006 is the year for Australia...

are you trying to be funny...!? :p

we can't even get a iTMS, so what chance an Apple Store!!

Project
Oct 11, 2005, 09:52 PM
Remember, we were promised 40 stores this year, 25 by Sept 30 (end fiscal quarter). We hit 124 by sept 30, 125 is this weekend in NYC.

there SHOULD be 15 stores left to open before the year ends....Manchester UK.

Maaaan I cant wait!!

Mr. Anderson
Oct 11, 2005, 09:58 PM
It'd be nice to see one closer to me - I have to drive 2-3 hours to get to either the Indianapolis or Chicago stores.

Ft. Wayne would be very nice, but South Bend could also work :D

D

solvs
Oct 11, 2005, 10:20 PM
It would be nice to have an Apple Store in Olympia, WA. The area seems affluent enough. The nearest Apple Store is an hour + drive north to Seattle, Tukwila, or Bellevue.
Be better to drive to one of the Oregon stores. No tax! That's where I'm buying my next PowerMac, even though it's over 2 hours away.

BenRoethig
Oct 11, 2005, 10:23 PM
I know the feeling. In the roughly 50-mile between Madison, Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, the Quad Cities, Rockford, and Dubuque there is almost a million people and two major Universities. Yet, the nearest Apple stores are in Chicago, Milwaukee, and Des Moines. Note to Apple: if you want to sell Macs, putting a store at Coral Ridge Mall or one of the Madison twins would be a good idea.

winmacguy
Oct 12, 2005, 12:36 AM
are you trying to be funny...!? :p

we can't even get a iTMS, so what chance an Apple Store!!
At least you guys have Apple Australia!
:rolleyes:

Bakey
Oct 12, 2005, 03:33 AM

there SHOULD be 15 stores left to open before the year ends, including 2 in south california, Salt Lake City, Dallas' 3ed at Northpark, Manchester UK, and London's second at Brent Cross.

Don't forget Meadowhall Sheffield, UK... there appears to be a distinct lack of information regarding this particular store as of late. My interest is obviously due to me living fairly close to it!! [20ish minute drive / 15ish minute train journey... oh yessss!]

As one poster already pointed out, why on earth has Canada only one Apple store for the entire country!! In relation to my plight, the UK is a darn sight smaller than Canada - although as population figures go I guess we're not far off!

I'm obviously only taking into consideration those countries that have at least one store... so please don't grill me!!

OT EDIT : Google reckons the UK population is 60 million and Canada is 31 million... :eek:

Gasu E.
Oct 12, 2005, 08:25 AM

Very sadly, your chances of winning that bet have gone up significantly recently. :(

Applespider
Oct 12, 2005, 08:47 AM
They did say in the call that most of the new stores would be in the US.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more turn up in the UK though. Glasgow or Edinburgh is a likely choice, along with Cambridge where the city centre is undergoing massive reinvestment. Newcastle, Bristol (perhaps at Cribbs Causeway) and Liverpool might be other choices.

Gasu E.
Oct 12, 2005, 08:51 AM

Now an ITMS or Apple Store in any Latin American country would be a first. :rolleyes:

I've been given to understand ( :D ) that Apple will be opening a number of new stores outside the USA, but they will be specially localized for each nation:

- Canada: stores will be exactly like the USA stores, except processors will run 20% slower

- Mexico: they will be opening lots of stores, maņana

- Australia: no actual "tall poppies" at the "genius" bar, mate, but you can get a cold Foster's

:D

Dandaman
Oct 12, 2005, 08:59 AM
yay! one opening at the brea mall (OC) in about a month!! Now an apple store is a very short drive away. :D

This could be very bad on my wallet... :(

daniel

yellow5
Oct 12, 2005, 09:49 AM
- Australia: no actual "tall poppies" at the "genius" bar, mate, but you can get a cold Foster's

I'm pretty sure that nobody in Australia drinks Foster's. It's about as close to authentic Australian as Outback Steakhouse(which is owned by Chili's)

wdlove
Oct 12, 2005, 10:48 AM
The projection numbers are great. Hope that many will get a new store in their area. This will continue to keep Sahey busy. My wish of course if a Flag Ship Store here in Boston.

sjk
Oct 12, 2005, 03:17 PM
Be better to drive to one of the Oregon stores. No tax! That's where I'm buying my next PowerMac, even though it's over 2 hours away.Just make sure the tax would be more than you'll spend on gas. :)

solvs
Oct 13, 2005, 12:12 AM
Just make sure the tax would be more than you'll spend on gas. :)
I'm planning on getting a PowerMac and I get really good gas milage.

PaRaGoNViCtiM
Oct 14, 2005, 08:28 PM
There is a huge mall opening near me in 2006, maybe they'll put one there!! :D

iEric
Oct 14, 2005, 08:51 PM
They should put one on the west coast of Canada....Vancouver to be exact.

I think Apple looks at the Apple Online Store sales and where the demographics are. And also, since Apple stuff is a bit more expensive that others, they certainly would not put it in where the average income and such things like that are low.

Wow, look at me and how my bachelor's of business is coming out :) only 1 more year to go!!

jlewis2k1
Oct 14, 2005, 11:46 PM
it would be nice if they had one in nebraska
:-(

SuperChuck
Oct 14, 2005, 11:57 PM
Well, the town that is most in need of an Apple Store is my old hometown of Charleston, SC. It would be nice to visit the Apple Store when I'm home for the holidays.

I know they won't be putting one near the dreadful town I'm stuck in now - the local Best Buy couldn't even sell a few Mac Minis. I so dislike Lynchburg - the name says it all. And to make matters worse, Jerry Falwell lives here.

p0intblank
Oct 15, 2005, 12:44 AM
Wow, that sure is a lot of stores for one year! :eek: I hope at least one is built in South Jersey.