Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katmandieux

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Oxford, Georgia
Hi,
My plain white macbook will not boot at all. I upgraded it from 10.6 to 10.8 several weeks ago and it has been working fine. Now, when I power it up, the screen turns white. No wheels spin, no dialogue, no nuthin' but white screen. The optical disk drive spins briefly at first then shuts down. The whole time there is a loud sound like a cooling fan running wide open or maybe the HDD. Whatever it is, it never stops. There the computer sits with a plain white screen, loud fan or disk drive (not optical drive after the first few seconds), and stays like that until I hold down the power button and shut if off. No keyboard commands are recognized. It won't go into recovery mode, or do anything using keyboard boot commands. I tried making a USB recovery flash drive by installing "Recovery Disk Assistant" on a similar MacBook with Mountain Lion OS, but the broken one doesn't seem to recognize the USB ports when I hold down cmd. R, or just R. I can't find instructions on how to make a bootable DVD using another Mountain Lion computer. Help Please!

jchase2057

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2010
Detroit
Hi,
My plain white macbook will not boot at all. I upgraded it from 10.6 to 10.8 several weeks ago and it has been working fine. Now, when I power it up, the screen turns white. No wheels spin, no dialogue, no nuthin' but white screen. The optical disk drive spins briefly at first then shuts down. The whole time there is a loud sound like a cooling fan running wide open or maybe the HDD. Whatever it is, it never stops. There the computer sits with a plain white screen, loud fan or disk drive (not optical drive after the first few seconds), and stays like that until I hold down the power button and shut if off. No keyboard commands are recognized. It won't go into recovery mode, or do anything using keyboard boot commands. I tried making a USB recovery flash drive by installing "Recovery Disk Assistant" on a similar MacBook with Mountain Lion OS, but the broken one doesn't seem to recognize the USB ports when I hold down cmd. R, or just R. I can't find instructions on how to make a bootable DVD using another Mountain Lion computer. Help Please!

Burn a copy of os x (10.6 or higher obviously) using disk utility on another mac. Boot the mac with the issue holding the option key. If you don't know how to do this just follow the instructions on this link

http://www.oit.umass.edu/support/computer-classrooms/burn-a-dmg-or-iso-file-disk-macintosh

katmandieux

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Oxford, Georgia
Reply to jchase2057

Thank you jchase2057. Unfortunately the MacBook doesn't recognize the keyboard during attempted boot. It doesn't matter what keys are held down under any circumstances, it just goes to white screen and hums loudly! I think it's time to take it to the shop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.