PDA

View Full Version : Firewire 2 and the iPod

Computer_Phreak
Dec 8, 2002, 06:04 PM
Ok.... just to clarify a few things for people:

I have seen lots of people say they would be dissapointed if the next iPods did't have firewire 2 (assuming that the next Macs did).

However, firewire 2 would be an overkill for the iPod's relatively slow hard drive.

Basically the hard drive couldn't be read from fast enough to saturate the firewire connection.

So....
Firewire 2 on iPods would mean little or no improvements in speed of MP3 file (or other file) transfer, but Apple might do it just for pure marketing purposes.

medea
Dec 8, 2002, 06:34 PM
Well in my opinion if the iPod's were to include Firewire2, then since Apple would obviously be aware of the fact that this would mean little to no improvement in speed would upgrade the hard drives to faster more efficient ones.

Computer_Phreak
Dec 8, 2002, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by medea
Well in my opinion if the iPod's were to include Firewire2, then since Apple would obviously be aware of the fact that this would mean little to no improvement in speed would upgrade the hard drives to faster more efficient ones.

why would they do that?

it would mean a huge extra cost, and i dont think faster 1.8 inch drives exist. Also, why would you need that kind of speed for an MP3 player?

medea
Dec 8, 2002, 07:28 PM
are you saying that mp3 players will never get faster hard drives or faster connections because we dont need that in a mp3 player? If Toshiba can go from a 5gb HD to fitting a 20gb HD into the same 1.8 inch disk then I'm sure they are capable of creating a faster model, and if not right when Firewire 2 is available then soon after and that is when we will see Firewire 2 in iPod's.

Computer_Phreak
Dec 8, 2002, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by medea
are you saying that mp3 players will never get faster hard drives or faster connections because we dont need that in a mp3 player? If Toshiba can go from a 5gb HD to fitting a 20gb HD into the same 1.8 inch disk then I'm sure they are capable of creating a faster model, and if not right when Firewire 2 is available then soon after and that is when we will see Firewire 2 in iPod's.

correct me if im wrong, but dont the fastest SCSI drives only get 40 MB/s sustained, yet firewire can handle 50 MB/s