PDA

View Full Version : Disk Utility Won't Resize Partitions

ethan1878
Feb 10, 2013, 05:00 PM
Hi,
I recently decided to unpartition (is that a word?) my internal HDD on my MacBook Pro. To do this, I went into Disk Utility, selected the drive, slicked the partition tab and removed the second partition. Then, I tried to resize my main OS X (Macintosh HD) - still using disk utility - but it is refusing to resize. i can drag the 'partition box' to the bottom of the free space but when I click apply, the partition returns back to it's previous size.

Anyone got any idea why this is happening? :confused:

Thanks.

----------------------------------------------------------EDIT-----------------------------------------------------------
I have managed to get my HDD to resize to within 3.86 GB of its 'full size' but now its refusing to resize again (i could only get it to resize that much by dragging it to the bottom of the empty space, low and behold, it resized into most of the empty space)

Fishrrman
Feb 11, 2013, 10:18 AM
The solution that is guaranteed to work is to do this:

1. Get a backup drive
2. Use CarbonCopyCloner to clone the contents of your internal drive to the backup
3. BOOT from the backup drive
4. Once booted from the backup, use Disk Utility to RE-INITIALIZE the internal drive, creating only one partition.
5. Now, RE-clone the contents of the backup drive BACK TO the internal drive.

Once done, you will have a single partition utilizing all the available space.

And, you can continue to use the external drive as your backup. It's always good practice to have a SECOND bootable drive close-at-hand...