PDA

View Full Version : [iPad] Anyone using a Smart Cover + hard rear shell?

kylera
Feb 11, 2013, 05:16 AM
I've been using the Moshi Concerti for a couple months, and the rubber that's supposed to keep the iPad fit in is getting elongated, making it next to useless. As such, this time, I'm just considering getting a Smart Cover and a separate rear shell. Does anyone use this setup, and how is it?

ChristianJapan
Feb 11, 2013, 05:25 AM
I use that setup for my iPad 3; hard shell but with some structure for better grip and Smart Cover.

Feels a bit heavier and thicker but still ok. Good for daily commuting; just drop it in my bag and don't care the keys are nearby.

You just need to really check that the shell works with SC; my first one didn't :( my fault

TWO2SEVEN
Feb 11, 2013, 08:16 AM
I use a Smart Cover with a Belkin Snap Shield on my 3rd gen.

My fiance has a Smart Cover with a Switcheasy Cover Buddy.

I like that it is still thin, but protected. I used a leather folio case on my first iPad, it was nice, but bulky.

Also, the back covers have a better grip and stop the back from getting scratched.

kylera
Feb 11, 2013, 08:00 PM
That reminds me. I believe there was a forum post some time ago about how Smart Covers seem to cause the aluminum on the back to chip away. Are you seeing the same on your iPads?

ChristianJapan
Feb 12, 2013, 07:49 AM
That reminds me. I believe there was a forum post some time ago about how Smart Covers seem to cause the aluminum on the back to chip away. Are you seeing the same on your iPads?

More some rusty spots from the magnets, sadly. :(

TWO2SEVEN
Feb 12, 2013, 10:56 AM

I've had the Smart Cover on my 3rd gen since launch day. No problems as of now.

Menel
Feb 12, 2013, 11:32 AM
Smartcover + Switcheasy smartcover compatible shell.

Real nice.

D.T.
Feb 12, 2013, 11:38 AM

Just run a strip of clear tape down the area where the SmartCover contacts the edge, no more worries :)

I'm using an iCarbon rear sticker that also protects the chassis from "SmartCover rash" :) (In addition to adding general scratch/scuff protection without adding any significant weight or thickness).

I was using a Belkin snap cover, semi-clear, with my smart cover, worked really well too, though it ultimately *exploded* (it was actually an iPad2 model, to the 3/4 stressed it a bit too much).

Fattytail
Feb 12, 2013, 05:02 PM
Just run a strip of clear tape down the area where the SmartCover contacts the edge, no more worries :)

I'm using an iCarbon rear sticker that also protects the chassis from "SmartCover rash" :) (In addition to adding general scratch/scuff protection without adding any significant weight or thickness).

I was using a Belkin snap cover, semi-clear, with my smart cover, worked really well too, though it ultimately *exploded* (it was actually an iPad2 model, to the 3/4 stressed it a bit too much).

The Belkin is just horrible. I use the Caudabe Shell and it's worked out pretty well in the past few months.

http://www.caudabe.com/collections/ipad-accessories/products/ipad-back-cover-shell-frost

Might want to check on Amazon, too. I thought I remember hearing someone say the Caudabe was going for 50% off or something like that.

D.T.
Feb 12, 2013, 05:07 PM
The Belkin is just horrible. I use the Caudabe Shell and it's worked out pretty well in the past few months.

http://www.caudabe.com/collections/ipad-accessories/products/ipad-back-cover-shell-frost

Might want to check on Amazon, too. I thought I remember hearing someone say the Caudabe was going for 50% off or something like that.

Looks like a solid product, bookmarked it in case I want to go back to a rear shell type cover.

Yeah, Belkin products are _ok_, I actually bought it originally for my iPad3 that I got while we were OOT for Christmas, kind of a "this will do for now", then just never replaced it.

This is my setup now:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8085/8383009747_411912414e.jpg

Amplelink
Feb 19, 2013, 06:47 PM
Looks like a solid product, bookmarked it in case I want to go back to a rear shell type cover.

Yeah, Belkin products are _ok_, I actually bought it originally for my iPad3 that I got while we were OOT for Christmas, kind of a "this will do for now", then just never replaced it.

This is my setup now:

Image (http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8085/8383009747_411912414e.jpg)

I'm thinking about getting one of those back skins. Where'd you get it?

And here's another thumbs up for the Caudabe Shell. Pretty basic product, but it's still working out pretty well for me. Last I saw on Amazon, they were around $10 which is a crazy steal. I got mine for $20.

Now I just wish they'd come out with the same thing for the mini since I'm using my mini almost all of the time now.

D.T.
Feb 19, 2013, 07:40 PM
I'm thinking about getting one of those back skins. Where'd you get it?

That's an iCarbons.com product, I had a coupon (they're pretty easy to find), just did the rear. I really only wanted scuff~n~scratch protection on the rear, combined with an Apple SmartCover, I dig on it, makes a really light total package. **********.com is another source for the same kind of products, the iCarbon was a little cheaper, and they're in Florida, so I also got it in just two days.

jacob-07
Feb 22, 2013, 04:34 PM
I'm currently using a Smart Cover + skin + hardshell. I got the skin from sticker boy

scorpio1973
Feb 22, 2013, 07:25 PM
I currently use a Smart Cover + a clear hardshell (purchased on eBay for about $3) that locks my cover into place like the Incipio Smart Feather.

I have had this set-up for a while and I really like it!

AppleRobert
Feb 23, 2013, 11:50 AM
Dark grey smart cover and rocketfish clear rear shell. Keeps the mini light and portable.

Infinite Jest
Feb 24, 2013, 08:15 AM
I've been using a smartcover and devicewear union shell. The first one I bought started cracking after a month, but them sent me a replacement. I like the shell, but depending on how this next one holds up(if it's anything like the first) I probably can't recommend it. Honestly, I've been looking for a folio style case with more viewing angles as the smartcover isn't particularly useful in this respect.

richpjr
Feb 24, 2013, 03:43 PM
I have a Smart Cover + the Incipio Smart Feather and I just learned last night the hard way that while they might protect against scratches, a fall from the dashboard of my car to the floor mat resulted in a shattered screen. I guess I need to look at better protection for my replacement (though I really like the slim profile of my current setup).

robdam1001
Feb 24, 2013, 09:58 PM
Marware Microshell Folio

Non-Euclidean
Feb 26, 2013, 03:23 PM
SmartCover + Zum Ultimage (frost) here.

DrMotownMac
Feb 26, 2013, 09:29 PM
My wife and I both have 3rd gen iPads. She has a Smart Cover with the Incipio Feather on the back. The cool thing about the Feather is that it somehow locks onto the Smart Cover so that the two of them become a unit and the Smart Cover no longer comes off. The entire case unit is essentially locked onto the iPad, as if it's inside of a folio case, until you pop off the Feather. Then the Smart Cover comes right off.

I have the Incipio Lexington case which is a leather folio style case and it kind of sucks because you have to put this belt through a loop on the back in order to keep the case closed, and if the case ISN'T closed, or if it keeps opening and closing in my bag (which it does), then the iPad's power keeps going on and off and runs down the battery. Yeah, that's a little frustrating.

So, I want to get a set up similar to what my wife or you guys have, but I'm wondering about this Incipio Feather. Is it good or bad how it locks the Smart Cover on like that? On the one hand, when you fold the Smart Cover to the back and use it as a stand (in either keyboard mode, or in movie-viewing mode), the Smart Cover pops off very easily on it's own, but it NEVER pops off with that Feather in place. That is an awesome feature, and it's very nice to have it locked on like that. On the other hand, when I'm sitting in a recliner, or lying in bed, reading my iPad, playing a game, surfing the web, etc, I don't really like the feeling of the Smart Cover folded over to the back of the iPad. I'd like to just pop it off sometimes.

What do you guys think? Is that Feather style of back cover preferable, or is it cumbersome to have the Smart Cover locked on all of the time?

thelookingglass
Feb 26, 2013, 10:17 PM
My wife and I both have 3rd gen iPads. She has a Smart Cover with the Incipio Feather on the back. The cool thing about the Feather is that it somehow locks onto the Smart Cover so that the two of them become a unit and the Smart Cover no longer comes off. The entire case unit is essentially locked onto the iPad, as if it's inside of a folio case, until you pop off the Feather. Then the Smart Cover comes right off.

I have the Incipio Lexington case which is a leather folio style case and it kind of sucks because you have to put this belt through a loop on the back in order to keep the case closed, and if the case ISN'T closed, or if it keeps opening and closing in my bag (which it does), then the iPad's power keeps going on and off and runs down the battery. Yeah, that's a little frustrating.

So, I want to get a set up similar to what my wife or you guys have, but I'm wondering about this Incipio Feather. Is it good or bad how it locks the Smart Cover on like that? On the one hand, when you fold the Smart Cover to the back and use it as a stand (in either keyboard mode, or in movie-viewing mode), the Smart Cover pops off very easily on it's own, but it NEVER pops off with that Feather in place. That is an awesome feature, and it's very nice to have it locked on like that. On the other hand, when I'm sitting in a recliner, or lying in bed, reading my iPad, playing a game, surfing the web, etc, I don't really like the feeling of the Smart Cover folded over to the back of the iPad. I'd like to just pop it off sometimes.

What do you guys think? Is that Feather style of back cover preferable, or is it cumbersome to have the Smart Cover locked on all of the time?

I actually detest the Feather style exactly because I like the option of taking off the Smart Cover from time to time. Something like the Caudabe Shell others above mentioned works best, IMO, because it almost doesn't feel like there's a back cover on at all. And it gives you the flexibility to remove the Smart Cover.

glen e
Feb 26, 2013, 10:23 PM
diff situations require diff cases - I don't "detest" anything, I just adapt. When I travel, I don't want the cover coming off so I use a smartfeather case as it's in and out of a messenger bag a lot.

When I get home for a week or two, I mount a regular feather or coverbuddy that allows the cover to come off when I need to.

DrMotownMac
Feb 27, 2013, 12:38 AM
diff situations require diff cases - I don't "detest" anything, I just adapt. When I travel, I don't want the cover coming off so I use a smartfeather case as it's in and out of a messenger bag a lot.

When I get home for a week or two, I mount a regular feather or coverbuddy that allows the cover to come off when I need to.

That may actually be the way I go. Spend a few extra bucks to keep my options open. After all, when I look at my $699 iPad, what's another $20 to $40 for an extra case to keep it protected and to make it more enjoyable to use, right?

Meanwhile, I haven't found any cases I "detest" yet...hopefully I won't down the road either. Give me an Android tablet, and I imagine that feeling might come up. But as long as I have an iPad inside whatever case I own, I think I be fairly happy. :)