Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
I have a late 2008 MacBook (aluminum model). The original hard disk started to fail and eventually wouldn't boot, so I bought a Samsung SSD and I replaced the old disk.

Sadly I discovered that the Internet recovery mode only works for recent Macs, so I'm kind of stuck since I don't know how to install OS X in the new disk.

The worst part is that I'm not in my country, so I don't have any chances to get a ML installation drive. And forget about an appointment at the local Apple Store. Busy city, so I need to take a reservation with 5 days of anticipation.

BeeJee

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
Long Island/North Jersey
I have a late 2008 MacBook (aluminum model). The original hard disk started to fail and eventually wouldn't boot, so I bought a Samsung SSD and I replaced the old disk.

Sadly I discovered that the Internet recovery mode only works for recent Macs, so I'm kind of stuck since I don't know how to install OS X in the new disk.

The worst part is that I'm not in my country, so I don't have any chances to get a ML installation drive. And forget about an appointment at the local Apple Store. Busy city, so I need to take a reservation with 5 days of anticipation.

Do you have your snow leopard recovery disk?

Hungry&Foolish

Suspended
Mar 29, 2012

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Try option + command + r

----------

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4904
My Bad. You have 2008 Mac, Buy snow leopard from Apple for 20 bucks.

----------

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

Cool. I didn't know that Apple was still selling this old OS in a physical format. Then a trip to the closest Apple Store hopefully will solve the problem.

Anyway, once I buy SL, I suppose that I just have to insert the installation disc and then the system will automatically boot from there and I'll be able to install SL in this completely new and empty SSD, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.