PDA

View Full Version : [iPad] Anyone get their ClamCase Pro yet

Jachrist
Feb 11, 2013, 04:29 PM
Hey all,

Has anyone received their ClamCase Pro yet? I am going stir-crazy and would love to see that real people (not just tech. reviewers) are getting these cases this month.

Also, when did you order vs. when it shipped.

Thanks.

ECJ
Feb 11, 2013, 09:29 PM
Well.... UPS deleivered mine today. I ordered Jan 12th, when i read the article. I paid $149.

I can say it was a little different than what i expected. Im still trying to decide if I want to keep it. I never used a keyboard case before.

Bad points
1. White exterior case
2. extra, but expected weight
3. Folding keyboard back behind the iPad, is odd to hold because you feel the keys while you hold the iPad.

Good points
1. Great and Apple like packaging
2. Very good build.
3. Very good keyboard spacing
4. Easy bluetooth pairing
5. Looks great
6. Typing is very fast, and I have very large hands
7. Special keys are awesome, ARROW keys rock, home key, volume, and others. You never know how much you miss the arrow keys.
8. Offers great protection for ipad.

This was typed on the keyboard case. :)

http://www.soulified.com/ClamCase/1%20001.jpg
http://www.soulified.com/ClamCase/1%20002.jpg
http://www.soulified.com/ClamCase/1%20003.jpg
http://www.soulified.com/ClamCase/1%20004.jpg
http://www.soulified.com/ClamCase/1%20005.jpg
http://www.soulified.com/ClamCase/1%20006.jpg
http://www.soulified.com/ClamCase/1%20007.jpg
http://www.soulified.com/ClamCase/1%20008.jpg
http://www.soulified.com/ClamCase/1%20009.jpg
http://www.soulified.com/ClamCase/1%20010.jpg
http://www.soulified.com/ClamCase/1%20011.jpg
http://www.soulified.com/ClamCase/1%20012.jpg
http://www.soulified.com/ClamCase/1%20013.jpg
http://www.soulified.com/ClamCase/1%20014.jpg
http://www.soulified.com/ClamCase/1%20015.jpg

Jachrist
Feb 11, 2013, 09:58 PM
Wow. Thank very much for the post.

Review is appreciated and pics are awesome.

I can kinda see what you mean about using the ipad as a tablet and how the keys may feel weird. Hmmm.... Let us know what you decide to do.

Thanks again.

kodeman53
Feb 12, 2013, 03:19 AM
Bad points
1. White exterior case
2. extra, but expected weight
3. Folding keyboard back behind the iPad, is odd to hold because you feel the keys while you hold the iPad.

White? When the keyboard is aluminum? What were they thinking? :confused:

Mine is due to arrive today. If i decide to keep it, I see an aluminum colored skin in my future. :D

ECJ
Feb 12, 2013, 10:13 AM
Yeah, the white is crazy. I think I will keep it. Im still finding nice features. Like double tapping the home button on the keyboard, is the same as double tapping the home button on the ipad itself.

Also it works great with LogMeIn's Igition app.

xDKP
Feb 12, 2013, 03:54 PM
Pretty disappointed with the white - obviously they must be themselves as well since it's not that clear on their page with all the pictures?

Does it feel cheap with the plastic?

Andy5827
Feb 13, 2013, 06:25 AM
Mine is set to be delivered today. I will post pics as soon as I can.

kodeman53
Feb 13, 2013, 09:59 AM
Does it feel cheap with the plastic?

One of ECJ's Good Points is 'Very good build'.

Jachrist
Feb 13, 2013, 10:37 AM
Pretty disappointed with the white - obviously they must be themselves as well since it's not that clear on their page with all the pictures?

Not sure why you think this. I knew that the case had all of the white when I ordered it. I am a fan of white, though, and I expect it to look better with a white ipad.

Andy5827
Feb 13, 2013, 11:12 AM
Here are pictures of my ClamCase Pro with my white iPad. I have had it for less than a hour so no real review yet.

frenchbullcho
Feb 13, 2013, 10:31 PM
Here are pictures of my ClamCase Pro with my white iPad. I have had it for less than a hour so no real review yet.

How does the exterior of the top feel ??

ECJ
Feb 13, 2013, 10:50 PM
How does the exterior of the top feel ??
Its a hard plastic on the top. It feels like the plastic on the XBox 360 or the plastic from a normal PC desktop keyboard.

Andy5827
Feb 14, 2013, 05:33 AM
Its a hard plastic on the top. It feels like the plastic on the XBox 360 or the plastic from a normal PC desktop keyboard.

I completely agree. It's a rigid plastic with a flat white finish and feels similar to a keyboard.

kodeman53
Feb 14, 2013, 05:47 AM
White? When the keyboard is aluminum? What were they thinking? :confused:

Mine is due to arrive today. If i decide to keep it, I see an aluminum colored skin in my future. :D

Other than the white top, it's the best keyboard case I've tried and I think I've tried them all. It comes the closest to the separate keyboards (Apple and Logitech) in feel and key feedback, almost like my Macbook Air. Much better than my Brydge, which feels clunky in comparison.

The combination of my jailbroken iPad4, the BTC Mouse & Trackpad hack and a BT Mouse, I finally have something that can replace my laptop for use on business trips.

Jachrist
Feb 14, 2013, 10:26 AM
Other than the white top, it's the best keyboard case I've tried and I think I've tried them all. It comes the closest to the separate keyboards (Apple and Logitech) in feel and key feedback, almost like my Macbook Air. Much better than my Brydge, which feels clunky in comparison.

The combination of my jailbroken iPad4, the BTC Mouse & Trackpad hack and a BT Mouse, I finally have something that can replace my laptop for use on business trips.

I am glad you like it more than the Brydge. That was the other keyboard I was looking at when I ordered the Clamcase pro. I have a law professor that loves her Brydge for typing on the go. However, when I tried it, the keys were kind of sticky and didn't move with the fluidity of a standard Apple keyboard.

I wish Clamcase would ship mine already...

ugh......

kodeman53
Feb 14, 2013, 12:06 PM
... the keys were kind of sticky and didn't move with the fluidity of a standard Apple keyboard.

My opinion exactly.

xDKP
Feb 15, 2013, 06:16 PM
Sounds like a pretty good keyboard then. Could it be the weight they wanted to keep down on the top part as well?

Really hope they start to ship to Europe soon!

Jachrist
Feb 16, 2013, 02:33 PM
How does the weight of the clamcase pro + ipad compare to the ultra thin keyboard cover + ipad?

I have the numbers, but in terms of "felt weight difference". ???

kodeman53
Feb 16, 2013, 02:49 PM
How does the weight of the clamcase pro + ipad compare to the ultra thin keyboard cover + ipad?

I have the numbers, but in terms of "felt weight difference". ???

Sorry, I have no idea what you're trying to get at. The Clamcase Pro is double the weight of the ultrathin keyboard cover. There's really no way to avoid this.

Is it noticeable? Not to me, but then I don't make it a habit to carry both combinations at the same time.

Todd M
Feb 26, 2013, 10:00 AM
I placed an order for mine but it says "We expect ClamCase Pro to ship in March." Did they run out? I didn't realize they were out in the wild already.

Might cancel the order. Didn't realize it was white. Thought it was aluminum. Guess I didn't read close enough... All of my accessories are black.

TC25
Feb 26, 2013, 12:03 PM
I placed an order for mine but it says "We expect ClamCase Pro to ship in March." Did they run out? I didn't realize they were out in the wild already.

Might cancel the order. Didn't realize it was white. Thought it was aluminum. Guess I didn't read close enough... All of my accessories are black.

I have a Clamcase Pro as well and, initially, I was not too happy about it being white, but I've gotten used to it.

March is only 3 days away. :)

Todd M
Feb 26, 2013, 12:10 PM
I have a Clamcase Pro as well and, initially, I was not too happy about it being white, but I've gotten used to it.

March is only 3 days away. :)

Good to know about the color. Nothing against white, just everything I have is black.

Hopefully they start to ship then lol. Looks like others have waited a month or more. I didn't realize they were already out there. I have the original Clamcase, and stopped by to see if anything was new when I saw the Pro. It said a couple of weeks ago that it was shipping in March, so they must've ran out of the first orders since they are out there already.

TC25
Feb 26, 2013, 12:28 PM
Good to know about the color. Nothing against white, just everything I have is black.

Hopefully they start to ship then lol. Looks like others have waited a month or more. I didn't realize they were already out there. I have the original Clamcase, and stopped by to see if anything was new when I saw the Pro. It said a couple of weeks ago that it was shipping in March, so they must've ran out of the first orders since they are out there already.

All my iDevices and accessories are black, too.

I ordered the Pro on Jan, 12th, it shipped on Feb 7th, and was delivered on Feb 12th.

Jachrist
Feb 26, 2013, 02:13 PM
I am just really really hoping that there aren't any issues with the battery life. I remember when the original clamcase was released. After 3-6 months, the battery would stop holding a charge altogether.

That, coupled with an almost insulting 120-day warranty from clamcase, led to quite a few angry customers. Even though Clamcase admitted there was a "small percentage of units with a faulty battery," the company refused to do anything for customers outside of the 120-day warranty.

Here's hoping :apple:

Todd M
Feb 26, 2013, 02:17 PM
I am just really really hoping that there aren't any issues with the battery life. I remember when the original clamcase was released. After 3-6 months, the battery would stop holding a charge altogether.

That, coupled with an almost insulting 120-day warranty from clamcase, led to quite a few angry customers.

Here's hoping :apple:

I got lucky and didn't have any charging/battery issues. Mine is still going strong after ordering it in March 2012. The plastic case has given in a bit though and has forced the plastic around the keyboard to gouge my invisible shield. I agree on the 120 day warranty. Other than that, I like it. The pro looks even better, save in white lol.

Todd M
Mar 1, 2013, 05:41 AM
Awesome. First day of March, and I went to check to see what the new shipping timeframe was, and it already states that it expects to ship in April. SIGH

So, for those of you that have one, is it worth the wait?

Non-Euclidean
Mar 1, 2013, 09:37 AM
I noticed today, someone complaining about a line in their ipad/ipad screen protector where their Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard touches. Are there any issues with the ClamCase Pro, regarding mating surfaces?

TC25
Mar 1, 2013, 04:34 PM
So, for those of you that have one, is it worth the wait?
Yes

Are there any issues with the ClamCase Pro, regarding mating surfaces?
No

DashSatan
Mar 1, 2013, 11:45 PM
Anyone know how the hinge is on it? Is it loose or sturdy?

Jachrist
Mar 2, 2013, 12:55 AM

I don't have mine yet either, but I thought I'd link to this video...

Looks like a pretty tight hinge.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsw811SLiYU

TC25
Mar 2, 2013, 05:40 AM

Sturdy - It'd have to be to stay open like a laptop or fold back behind the keyboard.

Todd M
Mar 2, 2013, 06:12 AM
I noticed today, someone complaining about a line in their ipad/ipad screen protector where their Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard touches. Are there any issues with the ClamCase Pro, regarding mating surfaces?

I have noticed the same thing on my ClamCase (original) on my iPad3. It appears that the plastic case has 'given in' where the plastic lining below the bottom row of keys has come up a little and contacts the iPad/Invisible Shield and has gouged into the shield. From the looks of it, the polycarbonate and aluminum design of the ClamCase Pro will keep this from happening.

DashSatan
Mar 2, 2013, 10:55 AM
I don't have mine yet either, but I thought I'd link to this video...

Looks like a pretty tight hinge.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsw811SLiYU

Thanks for linking the video. It definitely looks like a quality built item. I'm just always weary to buy something without testing it, especially at that price point. But I really do think buying it would negate the need for a laptop, so I might just have to do it.

Blarneystone
Mar 5, 2013, 08:13 AM
My wife has the brydge. I like it because you can grab your ipad out really quick for games, etc.

How fast/slow is it to remove the ipad from the clamcase?

TC25
Mar 5, 2013, 06:16 PM
My wife has the brydge. I like it because you can grab your ipad out really quick for games, etc.

How fast/slow is it to remove the ipad from the clamcase?

With the Clamcase you simply fold the iPad behind the keyboard to use it w/o the keyboard.

If someone would insist on taking the iPad out just to play a game, it snaps in the lid.

gadgetmonster
Mar 6, 2013, 08:27 PM
I had a regular clamcase for 24hrs, returned it the same day.....I thought it was incredibly cheaply made for 129$, flimsy, the spacebar barely worked, I couldn't type very fast, and I almost cut my finger from the top plastic edge when closing it........needless to say, I am very disappointed in the product. Maybe my expectations were too high. Maybe the pro model will be a better product.

Just my .02

TC25
Mar 7, 2013, 03:09 AM
I had a regular clamcase for 24hrs, returned it the same day.....I thought it was incredibly cheaply made for 129$, flimsy, the spacebar barely worked, I couldn't type very fast, and I almost cut my finger from the top plastic edge when closing it........needless to say, I am very disappointed in the product. Maybe my expectations were too high. Maybe the pro model will be a better product.

Just my .02

Thanks for your 2 cents.

Commy1
Mar 11, 2013, 03:59 PM
I like that idea, but I got myself the Zagg Profolio.
The rubber/leatherette black exterior gives nice traction on most surfaces, it's soft and pleasant to the touch, folds the iPad away safely, great battery life, a solid month, easy easy bluetooth, and backlit keys in 7 colors :).

I usually switch between the Profolio for most things and the Apple smart cover with the back (Product Red ;) ) for sketching and stuff.

frenchbullcho
Mar 12, 2013, 12:49 AM
Mine finally shipped today.. Purchased on January 29 . So damn excited

DashSatan
Mar 13, 2013, 11:49 AM
Mine finally shipped today.. Purchased on January 29 . So damn excited

Give us a review when you've had some time with it. Will ya mate?

Jachrist
Mar 13, 2013, 03:02 PM
I am considering canceling my order. The posts above is the 4th order I have heard of ordered after mine that has already shipped. With the new Belkin ultimate keyboard case coming out next month, I am considering just picking that up.

This sucks, as I was really excited about this case. Such is life, I guess.

Still interested in the reviews of others... but for my money right now (and given the company's history of trouble with the original Clamcase), I think I will hold out for something else from a company offering a better warranty, better CS, etc.

TC25
Mar 13, 2013, 03:25 PM

Did you read the second post in this thread, mate? It's a full review, with pics.

DashSatan
Mar 13, 2013, 09:23 PM
Did you read the second post in this thread, mate? It's a full review, with pics.

That I have. Just looking for some more opinions is all.

DashSatan
Mar 13, 2013, 09:37 PM
I am considering canceling my order. The posts above is the 4th order I have heard of ordered after mine that has already shipped. With the new Belkin ultimate keyboard case coming out next month, I am considering just picking that up.

This sucks, as I was really excited about this case. Such is life, I guess.

Still interested in the reviews of others... but for my money right now (and given the company's history of trouble with the original Clamcase), I think I will hold out for something else from a company offering a better warranty, better CS, etc.

Saw a video on the belkin ultimate, looks beautiful. Any idea why there's no news at all on their site about it though?

Jachrist
Mar 14, 2013, 01:23 AM
I don't know why the info isn't up. They aren't releasing it until April, so I anticipate the info going up soon.

TC25
Mar 14, 2013, 03:05 AM
That I have. Just looking for some more opinions is all.
Like Posts 14 and 15?

DashSatan
Mar 14, 2013, 10:36 AM
Like Posts 14 and 15?

I'm sorry but "it's the best keyboard I've used" does not constitute as a review for me. So no, not like that at all.

frenchbullcho
Mar 14, 2013, 05:15 PM
Finally got it! I am typing on this right now. It feels good and the button is easy to press on. Pretty small but that is what you will expect. Easy to turn on and easy to put on. Ipad is secured and it won't fall out of the case. Keyboard has good options on it. I am still learning new things on this keyboard ! control +c wont copy.

TC25
Mar 14, 2013, 05:40 PM
I'm sorry but "it's the best keyboard I've used" does not constitute as a review for me. So no, not like that at all.

Nevermind.

Jachrist
Mar 14, 2013, 06:26 PM
I like that idea, but I got myself the Zagg Profolio.
The rubber/leatherette black exterior gives nice traction on most surfaces, it's soft and pleasant to the touch, folds the iPad away safely, great battery life, a solid month, easy easy bluetooth, and backlit keys in 7 colors :).

I usually switch between the Profolio for most things and the Apple smart cover with the back (Product Red ;) ) for sketching and stuff.

Walked into BestBuy to get a ZAGG folio for a friend who has to work all night. I bought it for $99, but when I dropped it off for him, there was a surprise. It was a Profolio+ with the lighted keys.. It was in the wrong box. He offered to give it to me for the purchase price if I wanted it. Still debating it, but it seems really nice.

jtar
Mar 14, 2013, 11:01 PM
Hey guys, I've been lurking around this site for several months now and finally decided to register so I could reply to this thread. This is a really great site and has become my go to for Apple news.

I just got my ClamCase Pro today after waiting more than a month for it. Overall I really love it. I have used a Belkin keyboard case on my previous iPad for years and I have always enjoyed using a keyboard to surf and send emails, but the one thing that was a little unexpected was the size of the opening for the headphone jack. It's very small and I can't get either of my favorite headphones to fit in the opening deep enough to actually plug into the iPad all the way. I've tried my Beats and my Klipsch S7 earbuds and neither seem to fit. I'll try and dig up my original Apple earbuds and see if they fit. Other than that, I really love the product. A lighted keyboard and a lower cost would have been awesome, but I've pretty satisfied with it.

I just might have to break out my Dremel tool and fix the headphone opening... ON second thought, I might wait until day 121 of my "warranty". :)

ECJ
Mar 24, 2013, 08:44 AM

I've had my ClamCase Pro since Feb 11th. So far it's a keeper. I love the keyboard and the spacing of the keys. The battery is great, since I haven't charged it since I first received it. So that's a 6 weeks on a charge. It protects the iPad great, since it's totally enclosed by the case.

My only two issues are the weight and the color. This case is VERY heavy to use one handed. To carry around with it closed it not a big deal. My other issue is the stark white just doesn't look right. If it was a silver or even black, it would look a lot better.

I may get another case for around the house, due to the weight of this case just doesn't work reading on the couch or bed.

ian.
Apr 2, 2013, 09:02 PM
I just got word from ClamCase customer service, that a BLACK ClamCase Pro is in the works and will release in the next few months. I may wait for that one.

rhino89
Apr 7, 2013, 11:46 AM
I just got word from ClamCase customer service, that a BLACK ClamCase Pro is in the works and will release in the next few months. I may wait for that one.

After seeing this post, I emailed Clamcase customer service. They said this is not true:

"Thank you for contacting Clamcase.

We have no current plans to release black color version of Clamcase Pro.

Feel free to ask in case any further queries.

Best regards,
Jahanzeb
ClamCase® Customer Support "

Mind sharing your source if you were told black is coming?

ian.
Apr 7, 2013, 12:39 PM
After seeing this post, I emailed Clamcase customer service. They said this is not true:

"Thank you for contacting Clamcase.

We have no current plans to release black color version of Clamcase Pro.

Feel free to ask in case any further queries.

Best regards,
Jahanzeb
ClamCase® Customer Support "

Mind sharing your source if you were told black is coming?

Here is the email that I received from ClamCase, there is even a ticket ID at the end you can reference if you'd like to:

There is a black Pro in the works and should be released in the upcoming months.

--
Thank you,
Tony
ClamCase® Customer Care

Ticket Details
Ticket ID: ZQA-412-43170
Department: Escalated tickets
Type: Issue
Priority: Normal

rhino89
Apr 7, 2013, 12:55 PM
Interesting... Two reps with different answers. I'll email the rep who answered me and see if that can be clarified.

ian.
Apr 7, 2013, 01:12 PM
Interesting... Two reps with different answers. I'll email the rep who answered me and see if that can be clarified.

Yeah, use my ID ticket # too, so that rep can see. I'd like to see what they say.

I basically asked if there were gonna be any other colors because I wasn't sure if I really liked the white color, then he came back with that.

I hope it's true though. I may just buy the black version, if it is.

CanadianApple
Apr 8, 2013, 09:57 PM
Hey Everyone!!!!

So I put in my purchase for a Clamcase Pro last week and am super excited for it to ship! I had a question though!!! When originally purchasing the product, I was told shipping out would be about two-three weeks and that my credit card would be billed when they ship the product. Clamcase ended billing my credit card for my clamcase pro and I haven't received a shipping email or a receipt for the purchase made to my credit card. I called the company and Tony, a worker there, told me that they would be shipping it out to me next week most likely. Has anyone had this happen to them or did something funky happen with their credit card???

TC25
Apr 9, 2013, 03:19 AM
No, nothing 'funky' happened with my credit card.

Try relaxing and remember other people here have both bought online before and some have even bought a Clamcase Pro, plus you're not their first customer. They know what they're doing. No need to post every angst filled episode you have.

CanadianApple
Apr 9, 2013, 07:32 AM
Thanks :) I'm sorry about this!!!! I completely understand what you mean and apologize!!!! I rarely do online purchases and thank you for the reassurance :)

ian.
Apr 9, 2013, 04:17 PM
Yeah, use my ID ticket # too, so that rep can see. I'd like to see what they say.

I basically asked if there were gonna be any other colors because I wasn't sure if I really liked the white color, then he came back with that.

I hope it's true though. I may just buy the black version, if it is.

Looks like there will be a Black ClamCase PRO, unless their plans change later. I checked back with ClamCase AGAIN, to make sure, and this is the response I got:

Hi,

There will eventually be a black Pro.

--
Thank you,
Tony
ClamCase® Customer Care

Ticket Details

rhino89
Apr 9, 2013, 09:46 PM
Looks like there will be a Black ClamCase PRO, unless their plans change later. I checked back with ClamCase AGAIN, to make sure, and this is the response I got:

Hi,

There will eventually be a black Pro.

--
Thank you,
Tony
ClamCase® Customer Care

Ticket Details

Correct, I just got a message today from the rep who said they had no plans - he corrected himself/herself and said black is coming with no information on when. Recommended I check in a month.

rhino89
Apr 14, 2013, 10:28 PM
Ordered my clamcase pro... will also post photos and thoughts when it arrives (2-3 weeks).

TC25
Apr 15, 2013, 03:22 AM
Ordered my clamcase pro... will also post photos and thoughts when it arrives (2-3 weeks).

Thanks. There haven't been any pictures since post #10 and they're getting old.

soundtracker
Apr 23, 2013, 02:29 PM
How's everyone liking the clamcase pro so far? I agree the plastic feel isn't the best, but I like everything else about it. Has anyone tried a skin on one yet?
http://www.icarbons.com/collections/clamcase-pro

rhino89
Apr 26, 2013, 12:25 AM
I just received my clamcase pro today, spending some time with it to get a full feel before I post pics and a review... for those interested, I'll post a full review of literally every aspect by Sunday night.

rhino89
May 2, 2013, 09:49 PM
After spending a week with the clamcase, I finally have some thoughts to post about it. My overall conclusion is that I am disappointed, and I am actually returning my clamcase. My opinion may not be the same as others here though, so don't be quick to criticize or judge my points, this is just my opinion.

Right when I opened the package I noticed the fact that the plastic top that holds the actual ipad is cheap plastic. I expected it to be just plastic, sure, but not this kind. It was easily bendable and didn't feel like the kind of quality that the rest of the case was.

The hinge - turns the ipad 360 degrees, great, but the creaking noise it made when I even opened the case from 0 degrees to about 135 was awfully annoying. And this is not an easy smooth hinge, this creaked to open it past 90. The creak isn't a loud one, its the kind of creak you hear from a piece of electronics and wonder "oh ******, did I just break it?". Not impressed.

Keyboard - the keys are well spaced, ill give clamcase that. Problem was the noise the keys made when I typed on them. Each key gives off this deep, hollow plastic thud, gets annoying after typing on it for a while. The backspace key is smaller than it should be, there were multiple times when I found myself hitting an adjacent button instead of just backspace.

Keyboard shortcuts - nice touch. Can't complain. Spotlight search key was neat, and so was double clicking the home button to bring up the app switcher.

Inserting the ipad into the case was easy. Taking it out was one of the worst experiences I've had with any case or keyboard, you really have to pry the plastic off. I had to lower the top lid to a 45 degree angle, then separate out the plastic from the aluminum of the ipad until the ipad just fell out.

Weight - about as heavy as an average netbook with the ipad in there, I didn't feel like it was an issue.

Another point was that the lid doesn't close all the way down like a laptop, there is a small gap that is left there, maybe a 1/4" crack at most. Not a big deal, but some may find that irritating.

Usability - great to type on for an extended period of time, but I can't recommend it as an "ipadBook". Using a touch screen while this big keyboard is in front of you not being used is awkward and uncomfortable - something that disappointed me, since I was hoping it would be that kind of replacement for me. I learned that I actually type faster on a virtual keyboard instead of a physical one after playing with this clamcase pro.

If you have a jailbroken keyboard, "BeeKeyboard" is an amazing tweak to customize your own keyboard shortcuts. But for those who aren't jailbroken, the provided keyboard shortcuts at the top row just don't provide all the functions you would want to enhance your experience. Using beeKeyboard I made shortcuts to open new tabs, search google quickly, close tabs, quickly access tools, etc.

I also experimented with adding a Bluetooth mouse to my jailbroken ipad with the clamcase, thinking you could make it a less awkward experience since it would be like an iOS MacBook. Problem is that there is significant lag when you are opening or closing apps or using a lot of ipad resources, the mouse cursor can't keep up with your movements for brief periods of time.

degs88
May 20, 2013, 09:32 PM
i'm not sure how far back these posts go, but i have had my Clamcase Trooper for about 16 months now . i love it, absolutely love it....but...For the amount of money, i would have hoped for better materials . The top cover takes the brunt of stress upon opening at the headphone jack. Mine ( and others that have reviewed) have had a crack in the plastic at this spot. Mine cracked after about 8months of daily use. Now , at 16 months the keyboard has fizzled out. It works, but without caps lock, d,n,k,z and (.) keys. Try typing without d or n. Not easy. I had to resort to onscreen keyboard , which is like torture after having used the blue- tooth keyboard. The Clamcase design is excellent, and until now, i have never had a problem typing with exceptional speed.I also use it daily in the reverse position to sit on my lap as an e reader. Getting the iPad in and out isnt that difficult . The case is heavy, but it's the most secure that i've seen as far as keeping the iPad in place during use and storage. The company has no plans to produce any covers in color (other than black & white), which disappoints me. All in all though, i can't imagine using anything else and I will probably buy another since I was spoiled from the start with this one.

lxcellent
May 26, 2013, 12:37 PM
I wish someone could adequately explain why there is such a long delay in getting the Pro after ordering it. Clearly it is about production issues, but I would think that they would have ironed that out by now. Can someone tell me if they're a small outfit with small business logistics issues? Did they have the same issues with the original Clamcase?

The other thing that I find odd is the lack of real reviews (not press releases) associated with this product. I come from the world of photography where finding hundreds of reviews about obscure cameras is easy. I would have thought that a more mainstream product such as a keyboard case for the iPad would have had better review coverage.

I feel like I am a early adopter despite the fact that this product has been out since the beginning of the year.

Anyway...I will post a review once this case comes in 2/3 weeks. It will be filled with photos and carefully worded opinions.

TC25
May 26, 2013, 06:05 PM
The other thing that I find odd is the lack of real reviews (not press releases) associated with this product.

How many different ways can the same device be described?:confused:

It's the closest keyboard to an Apple keyboard you're going to find.
It's heavy, a necessary compromise to keep the combination from falling over backwards.
Looks better with a white iPad since the CCP is largely white.
I put an aluminum skin from iCarbons on to cover the white plastic.

lxcellent
Jun 5, 2013, 10:05 PM
[QUOTE=TC25;17317758]How many different ways can the same device be described?:confused:

Reviews are about how each of use an item. I read reviews to find someone who cares about the things I care about and uses it in the way I use it. Also, when there are a lot of reviews, it gives you a sense of a product's quality control. Right?

Here is my review, though you are likely not interested.;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghjzly4Ny5M&feature=youtu.be

wessejine
Jun 25, 2013, 07:24 PM
I use an ipad 2 and the headphone cut out was too small. It forced the plug to to one side. I’m certain this will cause future problems. The ipads are thicker starting with the ipad 3 so those users probably have no issues. I also had “fitting sloppy” problems with my Zagg folio pro because my ipad was too thin. To fix the Clamcase, I used a dremmel tool and routed out the hole to be a little bigger. Now it works great and the work I did looks factory. This fix took about 7 minutes. Go slow and be careful if you attempt the same work.

Tastannin
Jun 27, 2013, 12:08 AM
Just got my ClamCase Pro today. Decided to return it within 5 minutes of opening it because it is top heavy. With my iPad 4 in it and typing on it while its on my lap, sitting down, when I lift my hands off the keyboard, it feels like its going to tip over backwards.

Sigh. I had high hopes for this case. Tried Logitech Ultrathin, Zaggfolio and Profolio, a cheap Chinese "aluminum netbook" style case, and an Adonit Writer 2. Not satisfied with any of those. I guess my next move is a MBA. Oh well. Almost got a CruxSkunk, but decided I didn't want to deal with the exposed back of the iPad.

kodeman53
Jun 27, 2013, 03:31 AM
Just got my ClamCase Pro today. Decided to return it within 5 minutes of opening it because it is top heavy. With my iPad 4 in it and typing on it while its on my lap, sitting down, when I lift my hands off the keyboard, it feels like its going to tip over backwards.

I guess my next move is a MBA.

'Feels' like it's going to tip over backwards or 'does' tip over backwards?

Over $1,000 instead of $200 because it 'feels' like it's going to tip over. Makes sense to me.

Tastannin
Jun 28, 2013, 12:42 AM
'Feels' like it's going to tip over backwards or 'does' tip over backwards?

Over $1,000 instead of $200 because it 'feels' like it's going to tip over. Makes sense to me.

Hello, what's this? It appears that you have asked me a question, and have not afforded me the opportunity to reply to your query. Seemingly, you would rather rush to judgement and share your opinion of my decision making process. I was not aware that I had appointed an personal arbitrator of my purchases.

Worry not, I'll look past all that and get right to your concern. Allow me to kindly clarify, per your request, that yes - the ClamCase Pro teeters on its rear edge/bottom hinge when I lift my hands off the keyboard. I find that tendency quite worrisome, and I would rather not find myself in the position of having to purchase a new iPad along with a MBA to remedy an unfortunate incident.

Good day, sir!

kodeman53
Jun 28, 2013, 03:08 AM
Worry not, I'll look past all that and get right to your concern. Allow me to kindly clarify, per your request, that yes - the ClamCase Pro teeters on its rear edge/bottom hinge when I lift my hands off the keyboard. I find that tendency quite worrisome, and I would rather not find myself in the position of having to purchase a new iPad along with a MBA to remedy an unfortunate incident.
You must have a very small and hard lap if the iPad would break on it if the Clamcase Pro fell over backwards.

With my iPad 4 in it and typing on it while its on my lap, sitting down, when I lift my hands off the keyboard, it feels like its going to tip over backwards.

Turtle 24
Aug 12, 2013, 06:46 PM
I was 99 percent sure I was buying the clamcase until I called customer service and asked about the warranty. The agent tells me that it's one year even though the website says 120 days. has anyone heard this? I asked for it in writing and he said "no". What kind of company lists one number but secretly has another? sounds fishy to me and I hate to buy if I'm not convinced.

john413
Aug 19, 2013, 07:04 PM
I got my clamcase pro about a week ago and after using it for three days sudenly I couldn't get any of the keys to work besides the home and lock button. Is this an intended lock function of part of the keyboard and if so how do I undo the lock? Or has anyone else come across this problem?

JonMPLS
Sep 6, 2013, 08:29 PM
Now I really want one. Looks great, even in white. Looks ideal for the seat tables back in coach . . . Just wonder if i should order from Amazon or Clamcase. . .