Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sl33t

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
Cleveland, Ohio
I am considering purchasing my friend's 2008 White Macbook 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo, 2 gbs RAM, 500 gb HDD. Would this be able to handle moderate HD video editing? Also would it be able to smoothly run Minecraft? If I upgraded it to 6 gbs of RAM would it perform these tasks better? Or should I just put my money towards something newer?

Nov 28, 2010
located
I do not know about Minecraft (check the Mac OS X specs for that), but HD video editing with iMovie is possible, if you do not mind the wait it takes to import the HD footage into iMovie.

sl33t

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
Cleveland, Ohio
I do not know about Minecraft (check the Mac OS X specs for that), but HD video editing with iMovie is possible, if you do not mind the wait it takes to import the HD footage into iMovie.

Thanks for the feedback. When you say "possible", would editing be laggy? I may use Final Cut or Premiere Pro instead of iMovie. (I'm currently using Pemiere Pro on my PC). Also, this would be my first Mac.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Thanks for the feedback. When you say "possible", would editing be laggy? I may use Final Cut or Premiere Pro instead of iMovie. (I'm currently using Pemiere Pro on my PC). Also, this would be my first Mac.

It might be laggy, especially with the codec you might choose. Editing 1080p footage using some MPEG-4 codec like H.264 is unwise, better use the ProRes or CineForm editing codecs to transcode your footage to.

And if you are using FCP X or Premiere Pro, go here to learn more about that codec stuff, as it is important to understand, why or why not something is possible.
Video Compression
Why It Matters & How To Make The Most Of It

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.