Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
we're doing beta testing with out app, which is a tradeshow app.

currently we've tested on our devices which are iPad 3s

we've installed it on our customers iPad 1 and iPad minis and it crashes when we use too many features (like smart search and such), or scroll to fast (grid view with atleast 200 products)

is it a memory problem?

xArtx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
Is didreceivememorywarning the only possible memory problem?
If it is, why can't you flag that memory warning and display it?
I thought the iPad mini would be a Gb of ram as well,
it got released at the right time.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Is didreceivememorywarning the only possible memory problem?
If it is, why can't you flag that memory warning and display it?
I thought the iPad mini would be a Gb of ram as well,
it got released at the right time.

iPad mini has same specs as iPad 2, including 512MB RAM.

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
We can't really say but if you are not freeing graphics that are not being or about to be displayed, you're wasting memory. Without know more about the search method, I'd suggest it is a standard bug.

I suggest you review the "iOS App Performance" WWDC videos. Sessions 235, 238 and 242. Keep in mind some of the information may be limited to iOS 6, but older WWDCs have similar sessions.

Also, learn how to use the profiler and check you memory allocations. I don't see session videos in the WWDC collection, so check 2011 or even 2010.

Lastly, keep in mind that loading images from local storage or the web is expensive, so minimizing their file size and pixel size can have a benefit. It would likely behove you to make special thumbnail images for you grid view.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.