PDA

View Full Version : VM windows 7 or Dual Boot ,which is better ?

jmfel1926
Feb 12, 2013, 02:57 PM
Hello,
i would like to know if it is better to have a VM for windows 7 or have it as dual boot . I have the MBA 2012 11.6'' i5 1.7 /128/8
thanks

simsaladimbamba
Feb 12, 2013, 02:59 PM
Since you have enough RAM and not that much storage space, running Windows as VM might be the better option, but in the end, it depends on what you want to use Windows for, which you have not stated yet.

Booting Windows on the Mac (http://guides.macrumors.com/Booting_Windows_on_the_Mac)

jmfel1926
Feb 12, 2013, 03:12 PM
well i want windows for some programming exercises that i have and can only be done on windows OS . regular use of Visual Studio and some other programmas only windows can handle for my studies.

simsaladimbamba
Feb 12, 2013, 03:14 PM
well i want windows for some programming exercises that i have and can only be done on windows OS . regular use of Visual Studio and some other programmas only windows can handle for my studies.

Then VM is the better option.

jmfel1926
Feb 12, 2013, 03:24 PM
Can you suggest me a good VM program ?

simsaladimbamba
Feb 12, 2013, 03:29 PM
Can you suggest me a good VM program ?

I swear by VMWare Fusion, others like Parallels Desktop and some others even use Virtual Box.

The first two have trials for you to try and the last one is free, so you have to see, which is the one fulfilling your needs the best.

bniu
Feb 12, 2013, 03:54 PM
Parallels is better, but I find VMWare simpler to use. For gaming, I go into bootcamp.

wolfpuppies3
Feb 13, 2013, 09:43 AM
Another vote here for Parallels.

Haaker
Feb 13, 2013, 10:04 AM
Why not have it both ways? Both VMWare and Parallels allow you to use your Boot Camp Win7 install as a VM. That's what I do, and it works perfectly. If I need full horsepower in Windows, I reboot into Windows using Boot Camp. If I just need to go into Windows for something quickly and don't want to interrupt my Mac work, I use Parallels.

I've used both Parallels and VMWare Fusion, and prefer Parallels. With lots of memory and the SSD, routine tasks are seemingly just as fast in the VM as they were in a native Windows boot.

Just be sure you have enough space on your SSD for a decent Windows installation. I partitioned ~70 GB (I have a 512 GB SSD on my MBA) and am using about half of the partition for Windows 7 and Office 2010 combined.