Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soccer72727

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
Model # A1181
The backlight of the macbook seems to randomly turn off but the screen continues to work, i can see it still working in a well lit room. to fix it temporarily, I can lower the brightness all the way with f1 and then press f2 once to get it to the lowest setting with the backlight on. if i put it up higher, the backlight shuts off more quickly. I dont think the screen angle has anything to do with it. my gf thinks it sometimes turns off when she tilts the screen but i think its just a coincidence and is already about to turn off. every once in a while the screen will last for long periods of time before failing, but it usually doesn't last more than a few minutes, sometimes 5 minutes, sometimes just under a minute.

I am almost positive it is the inverter but could it be something else?

rampancy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Model # A1181
The backlight of the macbook seems to randomly turn off but the screen continues to work, i can see it still working in a well lit room. to fix it temporarily, I can lower the brightness all the way with f1 and then press f2 once to get it to the lowest setting with the backlight on. if i put it up higher, the backlight shuts off more quickly. I dont think the screen angle has anything to do with it. my gf thinks it sometimes turns off when she tilts the screen but i think its just a coincidence and is already about to turn off. every once in a while the screen will last for long periods of time before failing, but it usually doesn't last more than a few minutes, sometimes 5 minutes, sometimes just under a minute.

I am almost positive it is the inverter but could it be something else?

From the sound of it, yeah, it looks like the inverter, but my suspicion is that the inverter cable may also be pinched. Either way, replacing the inverter and it's associated cables is likely your best bet.

Meinlsync

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2011
I'm having the same problem, as my budget is a little tight can anyone tell me if his particular issue (that can be over come by turing brightness off and on again) is the actual inverter or just the cable? I don't want to have to end up buying both because I got it wrong the first time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.