Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skasol

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
I've never needed or bought the ac adapter for it. I hook it up to the usb on my 13" 2009 mbp and have never had a problem. It does come with an adapter so you could use 2 usb ports to power it if you needed to.

Is there any software that I need to be able to play the bluray movie from the Mac. If I wanted to view the movie on the Mac. QuickTime won't open it.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
Is there any software that I need to be able to play the bluray movie from the Mac. If I wanted to view the movie on the Mac. QuickTime won't open it.

I use makemkv to convert any blu ray (or dvd) to a .mkv file. I start makemkv.app then put the blu ray into the blu ray player attached to my mbp. Then just select the files and language files you want and deselect the ones you don't want. Works very well.

To watch from the disk... there is an app that costs money but I haven't tried it: http://www.macblurayplayer.com

I would just save your money and watch the .mkv file that comes out of makemkv. There are lots of free players that work great...vlc, mplayerX. I use mplayerX.

skasol

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
I use makemkv to convert any blu ray (or dvd) to a .mkv file. I start makemkv.app then put the blu ray into the blu ray player attached to my mbp. Then just select the files and language files you want and deselect the ones you don't want. Works very well.

To watch from the disk... there is an app that costs money but I haven't tried it: http://www.macblurayplayer.com

I would just save your money and watch the .mkv file that comes out of makemkv. There are lots of free players that work great...vlc, mplayerX. I use mplayerX.

Thank u once more. I have Mplayerx as well.

EDIT: So I extracted the Mkv but it showed nothing but lines and gray bars. No video. Any help? Can I email u somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
So I extracted the Mkv but it showed nothing but lines and gray bars. No video. Any help? Can I email u somewhere.

Try this:

Do you also have DASPI v1.3 installed? It was in the makemkv download.
These are the steps I would try:

Make sure you have enough free disk space on your machine. You are getting the .mkv file with full blu ray quality. I have some as large as 40 gbytes.

Take a dvd and put it in your blu ray drive and make sure you can play it. Just as a sanity check. Another sanity check is to make sure mplayerx works by playing another file with it you might have. If that works:

Start up makemkv and put your blu ray disk in. You should see some activity on makemkv.

This is what I have in the status window:
MakeMKV v1.7.10 darwin(x86-release) started
Optical drive "DVD+R-DL HL-DT-ST DVDRW GS23N SB00" opened in DASPI v1.3 mode.
Optical drive "BD-ROM MAT****A BD-CMB UJ141AL 1.00" opened in DASPI v1.3 mode.

Now press the button above the status window that has a picture of a blu ray disk, a green arrow and a hard disk drive.

It runs for a moment and the status window should look like this:
MakeMKV v1.7.10 darwin(x86-release) started
Optical drive "DVD+R-DL HL-DT-ST DVDRW GS23N SB00" opened in DASPI v1.3 mode.
Optical drive "BD-ROM MAT****A BD-CMB UJ141AL 1.00" opened in DASPI v1.3 mode.
Using direct disc access mode
File 00000.mpls was added as title #0
Title #00008.m2ts has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 1200 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00011.m2ts has length of 106 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 1200 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00010.m2ts has length of 106 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 1200 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00012.m2ts has length of 1057 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 1200 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00001.m2ts has length of 72 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 1200 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00004.m2ts has length of 163 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 1200 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00003.m2ts has length of 136 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 1200 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00018.m2ts has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 1200 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00009.m2ts has length of 138 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 1200 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00002.m2ts has length of 17 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 1200 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00005.m2ts has length of 107 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 1200 seconds and was therefore skipped
Operation successfully completed

Another window will have the name of the blu ray and a little triangle next to it. Click on the triangle and open it up. Check the title and the languages you want. Deselect the ones you don't want. Only check one title.

Now on the right hand upper side of the makemkv window is a button with a hard disk image and a green arrow pointing down. Press it, makemkv will start to do it's thing and it should take about an hour for a two hour movie.

If you need to renew the makemkv beta key this is where it is kept:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

You renew in makemkv by clicking on help and then registration and putting the key in the little window. I know, I just renewed mine to help me type this out to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.