PDA

View Full Version : Real Racing 3 Coming to U.S. February 28th with Freemium Gameplay, Available in Some Countries Now

MacRumors
Feb 13, 2013, 02:21 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/13/real-racing-3-coming-february-28-with-freemium-gameplay/)

EA and Firemonkeys'*Real Racing 3 is set to be released later this month, though it is currently available for download in some international App Stores as part of a soft launch to test the system (http://toucharcade.com/2013/02/13/real-racing-3-now-available-in-international-app-stores/). The game, which is the highly anticipated followup to Real Racing 2 (http://appshopper.com/games/real-racing-2), features real cars, photorealistic tracks, online time-shifted multiplayer, and impressively accurate physics.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/02/RR3_LaunchScreenshots_iPhone5_suzuka.jpg
Unlike previous titles in the series, Real Racing 3 will be free to play. Our sister site TouchArcade (http://toucharcade.com/2013/02/12/how-the-free-to-play-model-will-work-in-real-racing-3/) explains the freemium mechanics:There are two currencies in the game, the first of which is a general dollar currency that is dished out pretty liberally during the normal course of play. The amount earned feels tuned just like pretty much any other racing game, giving you enough to purchase upgrades, make repairs, and buy better vehicles as you naturally progress through the massive campaign.

The freemium catch is that all of those actions - repairs, upgrades and new cars - are set to varying levels of cooldown timers, the length of which are determined by what exactly you're trying to do.Essentially, after completing races, gamers will be subjected to a short wait before being able to race again when repairs are required. Wait times are also required when installing upgrades and unlocking additional vehicles, and these wait times will increase as the game progresses. TA mentions that wait times are worse when the game first begins as you're limited to one car, and points out that you can continue racing without making repairs, though damage may impact performance.

To alleviate wait times, players are encouraged to purchase gold coins. Coins are bought in the app, but can also be earned through gameplay. Many fans of the series are upset with the newly implemented freemium mechanics because previous games were not freemium titles.

TouchArcade has posted a hands-on video (http://toucharcade.com/2013/02/12/hands-on-impressions-and-video-from-real-racing-3/) of Real Racing 3 with designer Ptolemy Oberin showing off the gameplay and the realistic visuals.

L71e8VXES9c
Real Racing 3 is currently available for download in the Australia, New Zealand, and Canada App Stores. It is slated to be released in the U.S. App Store on February 28. [iTunes Link (http://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/real-racing-3/id556164350?mt=8)]

Article Link: Real Racing 3 Coming to U.S. February 28th with Freemium Gameplay, Available in Some Countries Now (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/13/real-racing-3-coming-february-28-with-freemium-gameplay/)

iheartiphone4
Feb 13, 2013, 02:23 PM
Saweeeet!

Hastings101
Feb 13, 2013, 02:23 PM
Really? That sounds annoying as hell. Hope there's a non-"freemium" version available eventually.

Feed Me
Feb 13, 2013, 02:24 PM
... freemium...

Dropped like a rock.

tann
Feb 13, 2013, 02:26 PM
I love that freemium games exist, but I would also love the option to just essentially buy the game 'outright' as well (say for what they usually charge for the title - $5 or so).

Then people who don't mind cooldowns or whatever can play, people who occasionally buy gold coins can pay occasionally, and the hardcore can just pay a larger fee up front to get everything.

Maybe even $10!

Pecheneg
Feb 13, 2013, 02:26 PM
The game is out in NZ and the verdict is in: infected with IAP's in the range of 99c - $150. There is a service waiting time around 6 hours before you can race again (can't be skipped) 1 star garbage that looks awesome, but unplayable.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=178087&page=50

ovrlrd
Feb 13, 2013, 02:30 PM
I love that freemium games exist, but I would also love the option to just essentially buy the game 'outright' as well (say for what they usually charge for the title - $5 or so).

Then people who don't mind cooldowns or whatever can play, people who occasionally buy gold coins can pay occasionally, and the hardcore can just pay a larger fee up front to get everything.

Maybe even $10!

The problem is that the only reason freemium works is because they end up making way more money. The model you suggest would make them substantially less money (otherwise why would they bother developing a freemium model? They aren't intending it to be a demo or trial).

This is all part of marketing psychology and has been mastered by certain companies who are now leading the rest of the market to copy them.

Semester
Feb 13, 2013, 02:30 PM
Why do they wait with releasing it in America? Do they want the other countries to find the bugs before it goes live in the big US market?

unobtainium
Feb 13, 2013, 02:34 PM
Not available in the Canadian store.

tarasis
Feb 13, 2013, 02:37 PM
Why do they wait with releasing it in America? Do they want the other countries to find the bugs before it goes live in the big US market?

Basically yes. It's a soft launch to find bugs, see how the systems hold up to large number of players and such.

tann
Feb 13, 2013, 02:37 PM
The problem is that the only reason freemium works is because they end up making way more money. The model you suggest would make them substantially less money (otherwise why would they bother developing a freemium model? They aren't intending it to be a demo or trial).

This is all part of marketing psychology and has been mastered by certain companies who are now leading the rest of the market to copy them.

That is true. I can't fault them for making money. I just think, in 2/3/4/5 years when lots and lots of games are freemium (see what Crytek said recently) including big big budget stuff I wonder what it'll be like, will people pay $'s in many games, or stick to 1 or 2 giving those 2 game dev's all of their gaming money?

Cougarcat
Feb 13, 2013, 02:38 PM
...and EA ruins yet another promising franchise.

arn
Feb 13, 2013, 02:39 PM

ya, it's to make sure there aren't any problems before going to the larger audience. a public beta ish

arn

Pecheneg
Feb 13, 2013, 02:41 PM
That is true. I can't fault them for making money. I just think, in 2/3/4/5 years when lots and lots of games are freemium (see what Crytek said recently) including big big budget stuff I wonder what it'll be like, will people pay $'s in many games, or stick to 1 or 2 giving those 2 game dev's all of their gaming money?

Well, there is two ways to implement the IAP's in game: right and wrong. What EA did is beyond wrong. Wait and see for yourself.

Glassed Silver
Feb 13, 2013, 02:45 PM
Good bye, RR...
It was a hell of a ride until EA came along...

Glassed Silver:mac

rmwebs
Feb 13, 2013, 02:53 PM
ZzZzZz

Game looks boring as hell. No physics? Really? No damage simulation? Not even realistic audio.

And this is supposed to be the first so called 'console quality' iOS game... :rolleyes:

Feb 13, 2013, 02:54 PM
I was actually looking forward to this game - I have all the other real racing games on iPad/iPhone/iMac .... BUT this freemium stuff turns me off. Adding wait times after upgrading? Longer wait times the more the games progresses .... sorry, I am not willing to keep paying to play. I am willing to pay $10 (or more for a real good game) to get the game and play it - but I am not willing to feed the game constantly on every single device with money. ... guess I will not get the game than.

Too bad they will still make tons of money from people willing to feed actually dollars constantly to play.

Mad Man
Feb 13, 2013, 03:02 PM
The game is out in NZ and the verdict is in: infected with IAP's in the range of 99c - $150. There is a service waiting time around 6 hours before you can race again (can't be skipped) 1 star garbage that looks awesome, but unplayable.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=178087&page=50

Just looked at that link .. stopped reading at this:

well there's also the koenigsegg car you can only buy for 800 gold coins witch is almost $100

This is disgusting ... how would pay $100 for ONE simulated car ??

Feb 13, 2013, 03:03 PM
Dropped like a rock.

Yet another terrible move by EA.

In fact, it's about time Apple revamps its search engine to allow for NON-FREEMIUM or NON-IN-APP PURCHASE APPS...I hate paying for something just to discover that it's not the full app.

Glassed Silver
Feb 13, 2013, 03:16 PM
Yet another terrible move by EA.

In fact, it's about time Apple revamps its search engine to allow for NON-FREEMIUM or NON-IN-APP PURCHASE APPS...I hate paying for something just to discover that it's not the full app.

This. Oh God, this x100000.

Glassed Silver:mac

tonyshaker
Feb 13, 2013, 03:23 PM
Finally

Otterblue
Feb 13, 2013, 03:29 PM
Not yet out in the Canadian App Store...

ArtOfWarfare
Feb 13, 2013, 04:03 PM
Fundamental issue I have with this model: the developer doesn't have to put in any extra effort for my extra money.

I'm perfectly willing to pay for a game multiple times if I'm buying additional levels (IE, sequels/expansions,) - but this is basically going back to a more expensive version of coin-op where games cost $1 and up instead of $0.25-$0.50.

Pecheneg
Feb 13, 2013, 04:05 PM
here is unbiased review

http://www.droidgamers.com/index.php/game-news/site-news-rants/5546-rant-****-just-got-real-the-timer-based-freemium-system-in-real-racing-3-stinks

Mactendo
Feb 13, 2013, 04:09 PM
It's a revenge for not bringing Siri to other languages. :P

I played it, it's not Real Racing anymore, it's a totally different game. The racing experience is the same, but UI is revamped and it sucks, on the iPhone it's tiny as hell. Waiting time sucks also, after the very first race(!) you have to wait 2 minutes.
I'm sure they were making millions on the first 2 games, but human greediness has no limits.

aneftp
Feb 13, 2013, 04:46 PM
I disable in app purchases on my iOS devices.

It's to avoid temptation EA and the rest of the industry want you to spend more money.

I don't have issue spending $50 for Garmin app. I don't have issue paying $30 for good iOS games. I do have issues not knowing my fix costs.

Sadly the public doesn't.

I am surprised Apple doesn't disable in app purchases on iOS devices as default. Someone will think twice about spending if the in app is blocked by default.

Guess Apple doesn't want to block in app purchases by default cause they get a 30% cut themselves.

Mike MA
Feb 13, 2013, 04:46 PM
Isn't it the first game really optimized for the iPad 4 graphics? With no new Infinity Blade to come....

Jimmy James
Feb 13, 2013, 04:57 PM
I have been loving RR2 and would have purchased RR3 immediately. Buy not under this arrangement.

As long as the RR2 servers are still up I imagine there will be lots of activity.

iSee
Feb 13, 2013, 04:59 PM
I shy away from games with in-app purchases.
Because I'm never sure what I'm getting into.

Is the game fun to play without IAP? Hard to tell.
If not, how much do I have to spend to make it fun? Hard to tell.

I don't mind ones where IAP unlock something I can wrap my head around (e.g, 20 additional levels), but virtual gold coins? Shorter cool downs? Whatever.

a0me
Feb 13, 2013, 05:42 PM
I was actually looking forward to this game - I have all the other real racing games on iPad/iPhone/iMac .... BUT this freemium stuff turns me off. Adding wait times after upgrading? Longer wait times the more the games progresses .... sorry, I am not willing to keep paying to play. I am willing to pay $10 (or more for a real good game) to get the game and play it - but I am not willing to feed the game constantly on every single device with money. ... guess I will not get the game than.

Too bad they will still make tons of money from people willing to feed actually dollars constantly to play.
I was planning on getting the new game at release, but now I won't get it unless there's a paid version without all the mandatory IAP.

andrewnguyener
Feb 13, 2013, 05:44 PM
Waited so long for this, only to be disappointed :(

hrl
Feb 13, 2013, 05:50 PM
I hate this freemium model. Well, I guess I'll try the game for the sake of trying it and I'll ditch it like the rest of freemium games.

A Hebrew
Feb 13, 2013, 05:56 PM
I am REALLY hating everything EA puts out into the App Store. They seem to always make apps free and have ridiculous charges for things that make the game go at a speed it should normally go. They ruined the Sims, and multiple other games for me..and it seems the games you DO pay for include advertisements. I personally do not buy anything from the App Store with EA's name on it.

Risco
Feb 13, 2013, 05:59 PM
What really pisses me about this is that pirating is not really an issue on iOS. There is no other reason for IAP other than to rip off the consumer.

dsddfloppy
Feb 13, 2013, 06:51 PM
i thought pay-per-win model was bad enough, this is essentially the same pay-per-play model similar to that csr racing, which i promptly deleted after 5 min of installation.

shurcooL
Feb 13, 2013, 10:43 PM
Not available in the Canadian store.
Yeah, not working here either.

I think this would be url, but it says item not available in Canadian store.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/real-racing-3/id556164350

Interestingly, it says it IS available in the US one? I thought the article said it's coming later to US...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/real-racing-3/id556164350

daneoni
Feb 13, 2013, 11:12 PM
Thanks...but i'll just stick with Real Racing 2.

Rogue.
Feb 14, 2013, 12:29 AM
You lost me at EA!

Cougarcat
Feb 14, 2013, 05:06 AM
What really pisses me about this is that pirating is not really an issue on iOS.

Well, it is an issue. Just not as bad as other platforms.

Chundles
Feb 14, 2013, 05:12 AM
It's CSR Racing but in a circle. You have to wait for upgrades etc or pay real money for gold coins to speed them up.

It doesn't seem to support multi-display mode, at least via AirPlay like RR 2 did. Just standard mirroring.

Not sure about the physics either, there's no way I drove THAT well...

Habakuk
Feb 14, 2013, 05:41 AM
It's incredible what happens with my favorite iOS gaming site touchArcade where I am (and probably was) a regular visitor and writer in the forums.

Never seen before: They censored HEAVILY during the night the main thread…

Real Racing 3 by EA (Universal) [Worldwide on the 28th of February] (http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=178087)

…and opened a new thread buried in a sub forum…

Real Racing 3 Rants, Conspiracy Theories, and Other Weird Complaints (http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=178192)

Read this: No criticism about RR3 is allowed in the main thread! I am afraid it's time for Dr. Arnold Kim to communicate sharply with brain-washed Eli Hodapp (obviously chief editor of touchArcade). BTW there was NEVER a front page article on the best iOS arcade racer 'Asphalt 7' by Gameloft (their flagship software).

Electronic Arts is ruining a promising franchise, maybe iOS gaming altogether and the tA forums.

japanime
Feb 14, 2013, 06:05 AM
There is no such thing as a freemium ride...

Just let me buy the damn thing already. I bought Real Racing 2 and love it. I would have bought (and probably loved) this one too.

FireFish
Feb 14, 2013, 04:25 PM
Wasn't this announced to release last year??

They debuted it at the iPad gen 4 keynote and made it seem as to expect it's release back when the gen 4 was released.

WHAT could be taking them so long??!! :confused:

KanosWRX
Feb 14, 2013, 07:43 PM
This is horrible, makes it sound like arcade games of yesterday where you need a coin to play every other level :( wont be giving them a dime.. I was ready to pay a normal price for the game but I guess they don't like money

HardRain
Feb 15, 2013, 01:22 AM
Maybe even $10!

$10 won't get you very far in this game. Try $200 +

Kissaragi
Feb 15, 2013, 07:35 AM
The graphics are lovely but the gameplay looks even worse than the other two.

Sparky9292
Feb 16, 2013, 02:50 AM
$10 won't get you very far in this game. Try $200 +

I wish they told you how much it costs to unlock EVERYTHING in the game. Apple should force developers to state that up front.

I know they sorta itemize the IAP's but I want to know exactly what the total cost of the game is.

Reminds me of Battlefield 3. I paid $50 for Kirkland in advance, but have to pay another $50 later for the other expansions and access to Premium servers.