PDA

View Full Version : LinkedIn CEO Jeff Weiner Rewards 3,500 Employees with iPad Minis

MacRumors
Feb 13, 2013, 03:08 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/13/linkedin-ceo-jeff-weiner-rewards-3500-employees-with-ipad-minis/)

Business Insider reports (http://www.businessinsider.com/linkedin-employees-jeff-weiner-ipad-mini-2013-2) that LinkedIn (http://www.linkedin.com) CEO Jeff Weiner has gifted every LinkedIn employee with an iPad mini.

Here's what a spokesperson had to say about the gesture, which was first tweeted (https://twitter.com/darainfaraz/statuses/301772278667018240) by Darain Faraz, a LinkedIn communications manager:We wanted to acknowledge the hard work and accomplishments of all of our employees in 2012. During today's biweekly All Hands meeting, we surprised our employees with iPad Minis as a small gesture of the company's gratitude for their contributions.http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/02/linkedinminis.jpg
The iPad minis were handed out an an all-hands meeting to each of LinkedIn's 3,500 employees, presumably as a small reward for LinkedIn's record (http://www.businessinsider.com/linkedin-q4-earnings-2013-2) Q4 earnings of $303.6 million. 3,500 iPad minis carry a total retail price of just over $1.2 million, tax included.

Article Link: LinkedIn CEO Jeff Weiner Rewards 3,500 Employees with iPad Minis (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/13/linkedin-ceo-jeff-weiner-rewards-3500-employees-with-ipad-minis/)

komodrone
Feb 13, 2013, 03:10 PM
because he's the weiner

saud0488
Feb 13, 2013, 03:10 PM
Best place to buy a Mini is now the Bay Area Craigslist.

ChristianJapan
Feb 13, 2013, 03:12 PM
Nice gesture from a management to the people working for the success of their company.

iMikeT
Feb 13, 2013, 03:15 PM
It helps to be LinedIn.

interconnect
Feb 13, 2013, 03:15 PM
Didn't they get hacked and user passwords were stolen and leaked to the public?! Yeah, hey good job guys, you lost thousands of customers confidential information, but here's an iPad mini.

slu
Feb 13, 2013, 03:16 PM
How does linked in even make any money, let alone $300 million in a quarter.

Macrolido
Feb 13, 2013, 03:16 PM
I want to work there.

madsci954
Feb 13, 2013, 03:21 PM
Jeff Weiner (channeling Oprah): You get an iPad! And you get an iPad! And you get an iPad! Everybody gets an iPad!!!!

doubleaa
Feb 13, 2013, 03:21 PM

Memberships and advertising. A lot of people use that site, myself included.

dma550
Feb 13, 2013, 03:26 PM
Jeff Weiner (channeling Oprah): You get an iPad! And you get an iPad! And you get an iPad! Everybody gets an iPad!!!!

Lol, too funny.

I'll bet there is a flood of ipads hitting ebay over the next few days.

chasemac
Feb 13, 2013, 03:27 PM
They prey on the unemployed.

FakeWozniak
Feb 13, 2013, 03:27 PM
Remember that shipment that was stolen from JFK. I think that was 3500 Minis... Where was Jeff Weiner at the time?
:-)

saud0488
Feb 13, 2013, 03:30 PM
Remember that shipment that was stolen from JFK. I think that was 3500 Minis... Where was Jeff Weiner at the time?

I think they found the perps. Wasn't hard, they didn't even wait 12 hours before they threw them on CL.

Rogifan
Feb 13, 2013, 03:31 PM
Best place to buy a Mini is now the Bay Area Craigslist.

Hmm...their loss.

unplugme71
Feb 13, 2013, 03:36 PM
Too bad that's gotta get tacked on as income to everyone's 2013 taxes. Still paying a decent percentage to the IRS

Dekard
Feb 13, 2013, 03:37 PM
3500 employees?? How?? Why?? That sounds like 3000 too many...

Mjmar
Feb 13, 2013, 03:43 PM
But they don't have retina displays! :rolleyes:

FF_productions
Feb 13, 2013, 03:45 PM
Would it have been too much to get the full size iPad?

ugahairydawgs
Feb 13, 2013, 03:49 PM
Would it have been too much to get the full size iPad?

If he wanted to get the same amount of storage it would have been an extra $170 x 3500 employees. So he could have done it, but it would have cost the company an additional $595k (plus tax).

slu
Feb 13, 2013, 03:57 PM

May I ask what you use it for? I am on there myself, but have found it to be of little value. It seems like an online resume for most people to me.

spb3
Feb 13, 2013, 04:22 PM
Should have waited for retina.

needfx
Feb 13, 2013, 04:31 PM
did apple care to quote a better price for those 3500 pieces?

53kyle
Feb 13, 2013, 04:33 PM

Those weren't minis.

juniormaj
Feb 13, 2013, 04:35 PM
I'm still fixated on the factoid that LinkedIn has 3,500 employees.

A Hebrew
Feb 13, 2013, 04:38 PM
If only Walmart gave this to their associates...or at least the ones who are still in high school :eek:

coolspot18
Feb 13, 2013, 04:39 PM
When the iPad 1 was first released, my Boss rewarded the whole company with them as well.

It's been done before.

somethingelsefl
Feb 13, 2013, 04:41 PM
And punished other employees with an MS Surface RT? (just kidding)

rmwebs
Feb 13, 2013, 05:08 PM
Loads of places do this. Friend of mine got an iPad last christmas from his boss, as did every other employee.

rockyroad55
Feb 13, 2013, 05:13 PM
LinkedIn is a professional networking tool. Lots of college students use it for jobs and internships. That's in addition to other users.

Pretty sure much of their revenue comes from advertising and Premium.

JarScott
Feb 13, 2013, 05:32 PM
Something about bulk Apple products...oooh. :apple:

Kranchammer
Feb 13, 2013, 05:48 PM
Little known fact, but Jeff's brother Irvin Clyde used to work at a cryogenics facility in the late 1990s. Gave the pizza delivery guys fits.

/obscure joke

BSoares
Feb 13, 2013, 06:39 PM
I love this. Helps my Apple shares :)
I wish every company would do the same.

Fatalbert
Feb 13, 2013, 07:07 PM
LinkedIn: FaceBook minus the BS.

GenesisST
Feb 13, 2013, 07:33 PM
Hmm...their loss.

Well, I'm pretty sure that at least one of these 3500 person already had one...

Rocketman
Feb 13, 2013, 07:39 PM
You know you are an Apple fan when:

You see how many of a particular product fits on a rollaway shelf when they are packaged for maximum dollar density.

PinoyAko
Feb 13, 2013, 08:05 PM
You know you are an Apple fan when:

You see how many of a particular product fits on a rollaway shelf when they are packaged for maximum dollar density.

A good one! Lol!

Koodauw
Feb 13, 2013, 08:09 PM

Use it for what? That site is worthless.

Mikey7c8
Feb 13, 2013, 08:37 PM
I want to work there.

I think this might not suck

Chaos123x
Feb 13, 2013, 09:05 PM
Wow that's really cool to treat your employees well. I haven't had a raise from my company in 8 years let alone a present or a party.

Adam22
Feb 13, 2013, 09:30 PM
We're they white minis or black minis ?

phineas
Feb 13, 2013, 09:34 PM
Should have waited for retina.

I see allot of people saying this but IMHO I see NO justifiable reasoning to wait for a retina, either my eyes are shot already or to me and others there just is no or not that noticeable difference. I went to the apple store in town and they had the iPad Retina next to the iPad mini's and I brought up the books they have preinstalled and did not see a difference.

I've read articles and reviews by Consumer reports and other's that say that there is NO reason to wait. Yes they could have there reason's but I'm not seeing it and obviously since there's been who knows how many million's sold already maybe other's do not see the difference or just don't care to wait till the fall for Apple to release a newer model which may eat up more battery life and cost 100's of dollars more.

KiwiAdventure
Feb 13, 2013, 09:37 PM
A pay increase or longer holidays would be better. An out of date iPad mini is like a kick in the teeth.

Adam22
Feb 13, 2013, 09:44 PM
I see allot of people saying this but IMHO I see NO justifiable reasoning to wait for a retina, either my eyes are shot already or to me and others there just is no or not that noticeable difference. I went to the apple store in town and they had the iPad Retina next to the iPad mini's and I brought up the books they have preinstalled and did not see a difference.

I've read articles and reviews by Consumer reports and other's that say that there is NO reason to wait. Yes they could have there reason's but I'm not seeing it and obviously since there's been who knows how many million's sold already maybe other's do not see the difference or just don't care to wait till the fall for Apple to release a newer model which may eat up more battery life and cost 100's of dollars more.

Yeah you're right because
Of the smaller screen but the same resolution the text looks better , crispier on the mini than the ipad 2( no retina) and looks almost as good as the ipad 3,4 with retina but the internals of the mini are really outdated its from ipad 2 and were on ipad 4 they could of at least put the specs of an ipad 3 in there

Ryth
Feb 13, 2013, 10:05 PM
If he wanted to get the same amount of storage it would have been an extra $170 x 3500 employees. So he could have done it, but it would have cost the company an additional $595k (plus tax).

They aren't paying full price for an order of that size.

vartanarsen
Feb 13, 2013, 10:59 PM
3500 employees?? How?? Why?? That sounds like 3000 too many...

my thoughts exactly:)) isn't everything on that site self-service (you post you own resume/employers post their own openings)...why 3500 employees?

chadwik
Feb 13, 2013, 11:29 PM
I interviewed at their office recently so I'll answer some of these questions.

LinkedIn makes the majority of their money through a product called Talent Direct. This allows recruiters and companies to do targeted searches and messaging (InMail) for potential candidates. So you are the product, but unlike Facebook you get targeted for work instead of ads. It's a win/win business model.

All of the engineering for all of their products (yes, there are more than just your profile) is done at the HQ in Mountain View California. Then there are satellite sales office across the globe. Building something like LinkedIn is not easy and requires a lot of building solutions to your own problems. I know there are teams dedicated to just building tools that are used internally that no one outside of company will ever see. When you have as much data as LinkedIn has it requires a lot of infrastructure and people to make it work.

coltman75
Feb 14, 2013, 03:00 AM
A pay increase or longer holidays would be better. An out of date iPad mini is like a kick in the teeth.

I have the feeling you've never actually been kicked in the teeth, have you?

I'll spare you: it feels nothing like getting an iPad Mini as a present from your boss.

designs216
Feb 14, 2013, 04:54 AM
Nice. After last's year's record revenue my boss still sports a frown.

phineas
Feb 14, 2013, 05:09 AM
Yeah you're right because
Of the smaller screen but the same resolution the text looks better , crispier on the mini than the ipad 2( no retina) and looks almost as good as the ipad 3,4 with retina but the internals of the mini are really outdated its from ipad 2 and were on ipad 4 they could of at least put the specs of an ipad 3 in there

Considering its the "New Tablet" on the block, Apple probably said lets use what we have that works already and will fit in this smaller size.

As for the processor , me personally I think the A5 is just fine, its a mini tablet and for what they intended it to do I'm sure the A5 is a good start, even the typical Home User it's fine. Let's say that Apple release's a new model with the "A7" processor this summer or fall , with in day's people will be complaining about something else, and it needs this and should have had that

Some people are just never happy with what's available or what they have.

As for being given tablets instead of money , well IMHO the people that work there are the only one's that have a say in that, but I'd guess that there NOT complaining.

pjfanelli
Feb 14, 2013, 07:51 AM
my thoughts exactly:)) isn't everything on that site self-service (you post you own resume/employers post their own openings)...why 3500 employees?

I will venture a guess that a significant portion of those people work in sales.

whooleytoo
Feb 14, 2013, 07:55 AM
When the iPad 1 was first released, my Boss rewarded the whole company with them as well.

It's been done before.

Likewise, our company bought each of us an iPad 3. Admittedly, it might be easier given there's only about 25 of us.

bstpierre
Feb 14, 2013, 08:57 AM
May I ask what you use it for? I am on there myself, but have found it to be of little value. It seems like an online resume for most people to me.

I found my current job because of LinkedIn. I received a status update that a friend of mine had changed jobs. I called him up to see what was going on. We met and discussed the company and what I could do for them and eventually got the job. Was so happy to leave my previous job.

ugahairydawgs
Feb 14, 2013, 09:24 AM
They aren't paying full price for an order of that size.

Probably not. But say they are getting 20% off. That's still $136 difference per unit on the 32GB models. Taken out over their work force that's still $476k.

bedifferent
Feb 14, 2013, 10:21 AM

Unemployed people pay monthly or annual membership fees in order to secure a job. I find that a tad, ironic.

Akarin
Feb 14, 2013, 10:53 AM
That's a +1 MIO $ publicity stunt... Interesting as it got quite covered by the press. Meh, when I offer a day off to performing employees, nobody talks about it.

Builddesign
Feb 14, 2013, 03:32 PM
3,500 employees? Someone is floating....

RedTomato
Feb 14, 2013, 05:06 PM
Wow that's really cool to treat your employees well. I haven't had a raise from my company in 8 years let alone a present or a party.

You're lucky. I was made redundant last year. They then promptly readvertised my job (Clue: that's illegal) while trying to butter me up by inviting me to reapply. Guess what - the person they hired after me quit after 2 months on the job. Now they're looking for replacement number 3 while I'm happily doing my own thing and getting some recognition for it.

chadwik
Feb 15, 2013, 11:29 PM
3,501. Got an offer from LinkedIn today. A day late and a dollar short. Oh well.