Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amantel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
Is there a way to do this in Mountain Lion? I have tried using the terminal (chflag, SetFile) but it has not worked. The partition is NTFS but I have Tuxera NTFS installed.

Toby Ziegler

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011
Gallifrey
You can hide hard disks from the Finder preferences menu, but it's all or nothing. Admittedly I'm unaware of any other ways to selectively display installed hard disks.

It's the first checkbox in the attached screenshot.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-14 at 12.01.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-14 at 12.01.21 AM.png
    62.2 KB · Views: 134

amantel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
You can hide hard disks from the Finder preferences menu, but it's all or nothing. Admittedly I'm unaware of any other ways to selectively display installed hard disks.

It's the first checkbox in the attached screenshot.
Toby,

Thank you, I do know about your suggested option. The problem is I want to keep my Mac partition on my desktop, just not my Boot Camp partition.

Thank you though

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
I use this Applescript I wrote a couple years ago:
Code:
-- Drive Visibility Toggler
-- BP 2010
-- Toggles the desktop visibility of an individual drive
-- Finder prefs for visibility are preserved, simply superceded by this lower level flag.
-- Will not work on boot partition
-- If you use it on a network drive, visibility changes will affect all users.
-- You must manually target the drive by inserting its name correctly in the next line of code.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------- user settable variables
set drivename to "Betelgeuse" -- **** Set this to the name of the drive you want to act on. ****
----------- end of user settable variables

if drivename is equal to "Betelgeuse" then -- Make it hard for people who don't know what they're doing to mess up.
	beep (3)
	say "You have to type in the name of the drive you want to work with. Please reed the documentation before proceeding"
	return
end if
-----------
set vizstate to false -- needs a default value
set findersdriveprefs to getFindersShowDrivePrefs_(me) -- preserve Finder prefs

try
	tell application "System Events" to set vizstate to visible of disk drivename
on error
	beep 1
	return
end try
setFindersShowDrivePrefs_({false, false, false, false}) -- this gets reset at end of function -- every time
try
	if vizstate is equal to false then
		tell application "System Events" to set visible of disk drivename to true
	else
		tell application "System Events" to set visible of disk drivename to false
	end if
	--	do shell script "killall Finder" -- Restart the Finder to show changed visibility This is not necessary as long as I toggle the Finder's vis prefs.
on error
	beep 1
end try

delay 1.2 -- finder needs a little wait in here or it will somtimes display icon incorrectly

setFindersShowDrivePrefs_(findersdriveprefs) --restore Finder prefs
return vizstate

------------------------------------------------------------------- Utility Functions
on getFindersShowDrivePrefs_(sender)
	set findersdriveprefs to {}
	tell application id "com.apple.finder"
		try
			set end of findersdriveprefs to desktop shows hard disks of Finder preferences as boolean
			set end of findersdriveprefs to desktop shows external hard disks of Finder preferences as boolean
			set end of findersdriveprefs to desktop shows removable media of Finder preferences as boolean
			set end of findersdriveprefs to desktop shows connected servers of Finder preferences
		on error
			set findersdriveprefs to {true, true, true, true}
			beep 1
			--log "There was an error in getFindersShowDrivePrefs_"
		end try
	end tell

return findersdriveprefs
end getFindersShowDrivePrefs_

on setFindersShowDrivePrefs_(findersdriveprefs)
		try
			set desktop shows hard disks of Finder preferences to item 1 of findersdriveprefs
			set desktop shows external hard disks of Finder preferences to item 2 of findersdriveprefs
			set desktop shows removable media of Finder preferences to item 3 of findersdriveprefs
			set desktop shows connected servers of Finder preferences to item 4 of findersdriveprefs
		on error
			--log "There was an error in setFindersShowDrivePrefs_"
			beep 1
		end try
	end tell
end setFindersShowDrivePrefs_
Oh yes, a drive made invisible this way will remain invisible if you unplug it and plug it into another Mac. This can cause confusion, so be aware of what you are doing.

Last edited:

amantel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
I use this Applescript I wrote a couple years ago:
Code:
-- Drive Visibility Toggler
-- BP 2010
-- Toggles the desktop visibility of an individual drive
-- Finder prefs for visibility are preserved, simply superceded by this lower level flag.
-- Will not work on boot partition
-- If you use it on a network drive, visibility changes will affect all users.
-- You must manually target the drive by inserting its name correctly in the next line of code.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------- user settable variables
set drivename to "Betelgeuse" -- **** Set this to the name of the drive you want to act on. ****
----------- end of user settable variables

if drivename is equal to "Betelgeuse" then -- Make it hard for people who don't know what they're doing to mess up.
	beep (3)
	say "You have to type in the name of the drive you want to work with. Please reed the documentation before proceeding"
	return
end if
-----------
set vizstate to false -- needs a default value
set findersdriveprefs to getFindersShowDrivePrefs_(me) -- preserve Finder prefs

try
on error
	beep 1
	return
end try
setFindersShowDrivePrefs_({false, false, false, false}) -- this gets reset at end of function -- every time
try
	if vizstate is equal to false then
		tell application "System Events" to set visible of disk drivename to true
	else
		tell application "System Events" to set visible of disk drivename to false
	end if
	--	do shell script "killall Finder" -- Restart the Finder to show changed visibility This is not necessary as long as I toggle the Finder's vis prefs.
on error
	beep 1
end try

delay 1.2 -- finder needs a little wait in here or it will somtimes display icon incorrectly

setFindersShowDrivePrefs_(findersdriveprefs) --restore Finder prefs
return vizstate

------------------------------------------------------------------- Utility Functions
on getFindersShowDrivePrefs_(sender)
	set findersdriveprefs to {}
		try
			set end of findersdriveprefs to desktop shows hard disks of Finder preferences as boolean
			set end of findersdriveprefs to desktop shows external hard disks of Finder preferences as boolean
			set end of findersdriveprefs to desktop shows removable media of Finder preferences as boolean
			set end of findersdriveprefs to desktop shows connected servers of Finder preferences
		on error
			set findersdriveprefs to {true, true, true, true}
			beep 1
			--log "There was an error in getFindersShowDrivePrefs_"
		end try
	end tell

return findersdriveprefs
end getFindersShowDrivePrefs_

on setFindersShowDrivePrefs_(findersdriveprefs)
		try
			set desktop shows hard disks of Finder preferences to item 1 of findersdriveprefs
			set desktop shows external hard disks of Finder preferences to item 2 of findersdriveprefs
			set desktop shows removable media of Finder preferences to item 3 of findersdriveprefs
			set desktop shows connected servers of Finder preferences to item 4 of findersdriveprefs
		on error
			--log "There was an error in setFindersShowDrivePrefs_"
			beep 1
		end try
	end tell
end setFindersShowDrivePrefs_
Oh yes, a drive made invisible this way will remain invisible if you unplug it and plug it into another Mac. This can cause confusion, so be aware of what you are doing.

Thank you! Appreciate it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.