PDA

View Full Version : Army National Guard: 3 free songs from iTunes to boost recru...

MacBytes
Oct 12, 2005, 01:32 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Tunes
Link: Army National Guard: 3 free songs from iTunes to boost recruitment (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051012143200)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

macjunkie82
Oct 12, 2005, 02:04 PM
Are you kidding me? Yes, three free iTunes songs is going to make someone want to get shot at. :rolleyes:

What if the kid downloads three Cher songs? Do you think the Army will still call? :p

nagromme
Oct 12, 2005, 03:06 PM
So... many... jokes... in... my... head...

So... few... in... good... taste...

:p

SeaFox
Oct 12, 2005, 03:15 PM
That makes you life worth less than Big Mac Meal at McDonalds.

Some_Big_Spoon
Oct 12, 2005, 03:22 PM
Why is Apple doing this? This is a horrible, horrible cross promotion.. I can't believe I even called it that. This is disgusting, truly disgusting.

wordmunger
Oct 12, 2005, 03:26 PM
Whatever. Sounds like a good idea to me. We need soldiers; this at least gets the recruiter in the door. It's not like the guardsmen are being paid in iTunes downloads -- this is just an incentive to get them to meet with a recruiter.

Anyone opposed to the idea of a National Guard should stop paying taxes to support them and see how far that gets them.

BTW, I'm opposed to the war in Iraq. I just don't think that means we don't need good soldiers.

macjunkie82
Oct 12, 2005, 03:47 PM
Whatever. Sounds like a good idea to me. We need soldiers; this at least gets the recruiter in the door. It's not like the guardsmen are being paid in iTunes downloads -- this is just an incentive to get them to meet with a recruiter.

Anyone opposed to the idea of a National Guard should stop paying taxes to support them and see how far that gets them.

BTW, I'm opposed to the war in Iraq. I just don't think that means we don't need good soldiers.

I agree with you about needing good soldiers, but I don't think baiting 18 year old kids with free music is the way to do it. The government should be using all the recruitment money to give soldiers better benifits and the use that as an incentive to join. I don't agree with many of the recruiting tatics that the Army uses, but being that this is a MacRumors forum and not a political one, I'll leave my comments to that. :D

juniormaj
Oct 12, 2005, 04:28 PM
Why is Apple doing this? This is a horrible, horrible cross promotion.. I can't believe I even called it that. This is disgusting, truly disgusting.

While I can understand your disgust, I must point out that no-where in the article does it indicate that Apple has anything to do with this.
In fact, the banner ads I've seen for this promotion clearly state (at the bottom): "Apple is not a participant or sponsor of this promotion".
The article states that each song cost the government between 90c and 1 dollar (normal price), so my guess is that the Army purchased gift certificates just like anyone can.

autrefois
Oct 12, 2005, 09:45 PM
While I can understand your disgust, I must point out that no-where in the article does it indicate that Apple has anything to do with this.
In fact, the banner ads I've seen for this promotion clearly state (at the bottom): "Apple is not a participant or sponsor of this promotion".
The article states that each song cost the government between 90c and 1 dollar (normal price), so my guess is that the Army purchased gift certificates just like anyone can.

My mother had the same reaction, and I pointed out the same thing to her. This isn't an Apple promotion, this is the Army buying stuff from Apple and then offering it to potential recruits.

I think even if Apple wanted to prevent the Army from buying the songs, it wouldn't be legal to do so. If you're an organization that has money, then you can buy songs in bulk. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

It doesn't matter what your feelings are about the Army. Signing up for the Army National Guard is an extremely serious decision. It should not be made on the basis of a couple of free songs.

winmacguy
Oct 13, 2005, 03:53 AM
So... many... jokes... in... my... head...

So... few... in... good... taste...

:p
"Should I Stay or Should I Go" By The Clash immediately springs to mind :D ;) Lots of others too but I think that silence would be the better part of valour :cool: ;)

winmacguy
Oct 13, 2005, 03:54 AM
BTW, I'm opposed to the war in Iraq.
Agreed!

wdlove
Oct 13, 2005, 10:34 AM
I believe strongly in the military. As I served myself in the military. The military is just reaching young men in there area of interest.

shamino
Oct 14, 2005, 02:57 PM
I agree with you about needing good soldiers, but I don't think baiting 18 year old kids with free music is the way to do it.
The iTunes songs aren't a signing bonus. They're for meeting with a recruiter. You're still perfectly free to say "no".

I would assume that anyone saying "yes" will do so based on what the recruiter tells him, not because of $3 worth of music.
The government should be using all the recruitment money to give soldiers better benifits and the use that as an incentive to join.
Absolutely not. While I agree our soldiers do need better benefits, that should never be the reason to join. The Army needs soldiers that fight because they believe in and want to defend their country.

They do not need people who are in it for the money. The last thing I want is an army of mercenaries. What would prevent them from joining the other side in exchange for a larger paycheck?