Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

notchfiend

Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
Please excuse my ignorance about what I am going to ask. I am new MIDI but not Reason 4. I got tired of drawing all my notes manually and would much rather play them on a keyboard. But like I said I know very little about MIDI.

Some info. I have a PowerMac G5. It runs 10.5.8 and has 10GB of RAM. The sound cards are the Burr Brown PCM3052 (I assume it's the optical) and a Crystal Semiconductor CS84xx (3.5mm?). I use Reason 4 because it's the last version my hardware will support. I'm looking at getting the Akai LPK2 for my keyboard.

My questions are these. Do I use an external MIDI interface or buy one for one of my PCI Express slots? Will one of those USB adapters just work or is that only if you already have an interface?

I'm doing this on a tight budget (maximum $300) so please keep this mind if you answer.

If I left anything out please let me know and I try to supply the info.

Thanks in advance!

nf

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
Assuming all your gear works as it stands now drawing notes into the rollup, you can get pretty much any midi controller (akai, m-audio) - infact, i'd recommend getting one used to save big $ (craigslist).

Due to the fact you're using a G5, make sure whatever you're picking up has PPC drivers. To be completely safe, you could get an old midiman /m-audio midisport 1x2 or 2x2 (again, used) - and use a keyboard that has a 5-pin DIN midi out (not just a usb port).

Best luck.

notchfiend

Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
Gear? What other gear should I have? I use Reason 4 and sometimes Virtual Keyboard.

Thanks for the other tips.

notchfiend

Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
like i said i use reason 4 with Virtual Keyboard and to monitor a pair of klipsch ear buds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.