PDA

View Full Version : about folding...

howard
Dec 9, 2002, 12:12 AM
i've decided to join the folding thing...i'm a little confused though...which do i run? the graphical program..the screen saver or the text thing?...i heard the text is faster but i know nothing about using the terminal...can someone help with very specific directions? another question...how long does it take to complete one? i've had the graphical program running for a few mins and i still have 0.0%!!!

springscansing
Dec 9, 2002, 12:22 AM
Graphical is fine... as for the time it takes.. its like a day on my dual 867, heh. Somewhere around there.

howard
Dec 9, 2002, 01:18 AM
if the text thing is faster wouldn't i want to do that? o r is it not really faster?..another question is i put the macrumors team number down on it...3446 now do i have to like sign up on the website or is just putting the number in sufficient enough?

Rower_CPU
Dec 9, 2002, 01:34 AM
First off, thanks for joining the team!

All you need to do is set your team # to 3446 and that's it.

As for which client to use: whichever you're comfortable with. The text-based client requires a little familiarity with the Terminal, but many of us here can help if you want to go that route. The decision is yours.

Also, it does take quite a bit of time to complete a work unit, and some time after that before you show up on the team. The key with Folding is patience. :)

buffsldr
Dec 9, 2002, 02:11 AM
nice job, howard. nothing comes easy in folding, but you can rest well, knowing that while you sleep your processor(s) is helping scientists to unravel the mysteries of protein folding.

best to you and your folding efforts

And remember this holiday season to give the gift of life, fold.