Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EricaV

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
When I got my new MBP and found out I had to use Windows 7, I said "no way, will I buy another windows OS !!". I have VMware fusion, but have not had success creating a virtual machine with Windows XP.

I might now just take the hit and get Windows 7 so I can run certain programs that force me back to windows. I'll use Fusion and Lion, probably will up grade to Mountain lion soon too.

Can anyone tell me:

1. Do I definitely need a "retail box" version of Windows 7 rather than OEM
2. Any bugs or problems to be aware of. Last time I set up a bootcamp partition I used the same VMware fusion on my old macbook with Whatever operating system came before snow lion, I also still have XP on this bootcamp.

Any help or feedback appreciated !!

Erica

rossip

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2011
1. No, as long as the OEM hasn't been used on another computer, you can use it. Note that once you activated an OEM version of window7, it licensed to that computer forever and you can't move the license. here's where you can buy an OEM copy: http://amzn.com/B004Q0PT3I

2. Not sure about bugs since i've never used vmware. Bootcamp runs pretty much flawlessly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.