PDA

View Full Version : Apple Seeds Build 12D68 of OS X Beta 10.8.3 to Developers

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Feb 14, 2013, 03:35 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/14/apple-seeds-build-12d68-of-os-x-beta-10-8-3-to-developers/)

Apple today seeded build 12D68 (http://9to5mac.com/2013/02/14/apple-seeds-os-x-10-8-3-mountain-lion-build-12d68-to-developers/) of OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.3 to developers, marking the tenth beta iteration of the newest version of Mountain Lion. 10.8.3 was first seeded (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/26/apple-seeds-first-beta-of-os-x-10-8-3-to-developers/) to developers in November 2012.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/02/12d68.jpg
Build 12D68 comes roughly a week after build 12D65 (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/06/apple-seeds-build-12d65-of-os-x-beta-10-8-3-to-developers/). Registered developers can download the update on Apple's Developer Page (https://developer.apple.com/).

This post originally referred to Build 12D68 as the eleventh developer seed of OS X 10.8.3 when it was actually the tenth seed.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Build 12D68 of OS X Beta 10.8.3 to Developers (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/14/apple-seeds-build-12d68-of-os-x-beta-10-8-3-to-developers/)

Sky Blue
Feb 14, 2013, 03:35 PM
it keeps on going...

Risco
Feb 14, 2013, 03:36 PM
This does not make any sense, what the hell are they fixing in a point release that needs ELEVEN betas??????

ModusOperandi
Feb 14, 2013, 03:38 PM
Apple is definitely trolling us.

Chumburro2U
Feb 14, 2013, 03:39 PM
This does not make any sense, what the hell are they fixing in a point release that needs ELEVEN betas??????

Maybe they don't want something about iOS 7.0 leaking out? :eek:

TheGreenBastard

More than likely the annoying wifi drop that requires a reboot to fix.

Peace

I think Apple is making sure 10.8.3 is a good release because they are working hard on 10.9. That's how it's been in the past. The 3rd point release is usually the best one.

I said "usually" Ok ?

:)

Feb 14, 2013, 03:40 PM
1 - Are wake-from-sleep Ethernet disconnections gone?

2 - mdworker/sandboxing issues and messages gone?

komodrone
Feb 14, 2013, 03:41 PM

i rather have beta testers kill their machines rather than mines.

noiseordinance
Feb 14, 2013, 03:43 PM
This is getting ridiculous.

tdtran1025
Feb 14, 2013, 03:45 PM
Maps, Siri

endsbowen
Feb 14, 2013, 03:45 PM
Because there is a major major bug in wifi on mac boom pro retinas which make it useless

JetLaw
Feb 14, 2013, 03:46 PM
At this point I think it is simply about sending a message. I am not sure if the developers at Apple are trying to send a message to Tim Cook, or if Tim Cook is trying to send a message to its users or to Wall Street, but it seems to me that someone within the organization is thumbing their nose at the idea of being subtle about the amount of testing that has gone into this update.

tdtran1025
Feb 14, 2013, 03:49 PM
Correction, A play, Aport, Games, Graphics drivers, Safari

sundragon
Feb 14, 2013, 03:52 PM
I was surprised that I have another version of the 10.3 beta to try out again so soon.

I had quite a few issues with the beta early on, but they addressed them two releases ago. I'm not sure what they are correcting but it's rock stable for me right now.

EDIT Most of the issues I've seen people complain about, above, have been addressed - That being said, you'd all be complaining if they missed something in a hurry to rush this out :p

----------

At this point I think it is simply about sending a message. I am not sure if the developers at Apple are trying to send a message to Tim Cook, or if Tim Cook is trying to send a message to its users or to Wall Street, but it seems to me that someone within the organization is thumbing their nose at the idea of being subtle about the amount of testing that has gone into this update.

Sorry, but this comment made me laugh out loud. They are correcting issues - a few of them I had in a release two version ago, this isn't some kind of grand plot...

:apple: o :apple: o

swissmann
Feb 14, 2013, 03:53 PM
Ridiculous. Haven't they been listing no known issues for the last few builds? Maybe there is something that will reveal info on Mac Pro's or something that they are just trying to keep under wraps.

I'm anxious for this release as I've moved all my files over to an external hard drive in preparation for an erase and install as I upgrade from 10.7.5. Really hard sitting in limbo like this. I know it's been my own fault to jump the gun but this beta is really dragging out.

sundragon
Feb 14, 2013, 03:54 PM

Been there, done that, you'll appreciate it :D

Peace
Feb 14, 2013, 03:56 PM
Been there, done that, you'll appreciate it :D

Were you around when we transitioned from PPC to Intel ?

That was a blast LOL

My Dev kit crashed at least 50 times.

I mean crashed and burned.

Kashchei
Feb 14, 2013, 03:57 PM
10.8.3=Copland

sundragon
Feb 14, 2013, 03:57 PM
Were you around when we transitioned from PPC to Intel ?

That was a blast LOL

My Dev kit crashed at least 50 times.

I mean crashed and burned.

*like* :D

Feb 14, 2013, 04:05 PM
10.8.3=Copland

You mean she is back? ;)

http://asset0.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/ne/pre/Newsmakers/Hancock/hancock_a.gif

stridemat
Feb 14, 2013, 04:12 PM
Anyone know if the auto-mounting of NAS drives from sleep is now fixed?

theloon
Feb 14, 2013, 04:13 PM
There are so many file system bugs and other serious issues in finder I frankly don't care if it gets to 50 beta.

imho 10.8.2 is one of the worst releases Apple has available for the last 2 years. It's like dealing with windows style issues..

:mad:

DeltaRage
Feb 14, 2013, 04:14 PM
Do these betas include a new version of Safari that renders pages faster on rMBPs? (i.e. the "Webkit" version)

Saladinos
Feb 14, 2013, 04:15 PM
There are so many file system bugs and other serious issues in finder I frankly don't care if it gets to 50 beta.

imho 10.8.2 is one of the worst releases Apple has available for the last 2 years. It's like dealing with windows style issues..

Yeah I've gotta say that while my RMBP is nice and all, there are a lot more hardware compatibility issues and bugs than with my old 2008 BlackBook.

ArmCortexA8
Feb 14, 2013, 04:22 PM
Well logged into my Developer account, there is only 12D65 still listed on mine, not 12D68.

PBP
Feb 14, 2013, 04:24 PM
Shutdown time is much faster than previous beta here.

Peace
Feb 14, 2013, 04:25 PM
Well logged into my Developer account, there is only 12D65 still listed on mine, not 12D68.

Click on software update. that's the only place it is right now.

Nermal
Feb 14, 2013, 04:26 PM

They're adding support for the 1:1 aspect displays shown in the graphic.

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/02/12d68.jpg

Yamcha
Feb 14, 2013, 04:27 PM

Beta testing software can never kill your machine =P

Frankdumont
Feb 14, 2013, 04:27 PM
It's ridiculous but when apple will release 10.9 to developers ?

Peace
Feb 14, 2013, 04:30 PM

Why is it ridiculous ?

10.9 will be released when Apple wants to release it.

Mike MA
Feb 14, 2013, 04:30 PM
Eleven builds? Did this ever happen before?

I think Apple is making sure 10.8.3 is a good release because they are working hard on 10.9. That's how it's been in the past. The 3rd point release is usually the best one.

Wouldn't it be nice if they manage this to happen with the first release?

bekiil
Feb 14, 2013, 04:31 PM
Told ya, at least 14 days, ;)

Rampage Dev
Feb 14, 2013, 04:34 PM
Eleven builds? Did this ever happen before?

Once I believe. This is now tied with the highest build number ever for a update. What I think is happening is that Apple got behind in developing 10.8.3 and now they are merging what would have been the 10.8.4 release into 10.8.3 for the newer hardware coming out soon. But I am unsure of anything at this point.

kensic
Feb 14, 2013, 04:40 PM
any screen shot of the installer?

chuckd83
Feb 14, 2013, 04:42 PM
10.9 will be released when Apple wants to release it.

How would a will not choose? The mind thinks, the nature acts, the will chooses. Your sentence doesn't communicate anything substantial.

Peace
Feb 14, 2013, 04:48 PM
How would a will not choose? The mind thinks, the nature acts, the will chooses. Your sentence doesn't communicate anything substantial.

Huh ?

:confused:

blackburn
Feb 14, 2013, 04:52 PM
Beta testing software can never kill your machine =P

Not true. I've semi-bricked a motherboard using beta drivers (not on a mac). And some people are bricking samsung laptops just by using linux.

Rampage Dev
Feb 14, 2013, 04:54 PM
Not true. I've semi-bricked a motherboard using beta drivers (not on a mac). And some people are bricking samsung laptops just by using linux.

How do you semi brick a motherboard? It is either bricked or working. There is no kind of pregnant.

blackburn
Feb 14, 2013, 04:56 PM
How do you semi brick a motherboard? It is either bricked or working. There is no kind of pregnant.

You can screw the nvram. And it won't turn on until you get the nvram externally erased.

Yamcha
Feb 14, 2013, 04:59 PM

It's not possible to brick your Mac using beta software. The only way I see you could potentially brick your Mac is by modifying the Firmware, or If your system shuts down while updating Firmware.

On the PC side It's also very similar, your motherboard is bricked If your BIOS chip dies or If you modify the BIOS, even then you can replace the BIOS chipset and your set..

Installing Beta version of OSX will do nothing, the worst that can happen is you'll loose your files, same goes for a PC running Windows. You'd think if running beta software had the potential to brick PC's or Mac's, then Microsoft would not have made the Windows 8 Beta available to consumers :P

blackburn
Feb 14, 2013, 05:03 PM
It's not possible to brick your Mac using beta software. The only way I see you could potentially brick your Mac is by modifying the Firmware, or If your system shuts down while updating Firmware.

On the PC side It's also very similar, your motherboard is bricked If your BIOS chip dies or If you modify the BIOS, even then you can replace the BIOS chipset and your set..

Installing Beta version of OSX will do nothing, the worst that can happen is you'll loose your files, same goes for a PC running Windows. You'd think if running beta software had the potential to brick PC's or Mac's, then Microsoft would not have made the Windows 8 Beta available to consumers :P

Try this http://www.pcworld.com/article/2026807/booting-linux-via-uefi-can-brick-some-samsung-laptops.html.

Mr. Retrofire
Feb 14, 2013, 05:09 PM
< 10.8.3 has so many bugs. That is the answer.

adnbek
Feb 14, 2013, 05:12 PM
Do these betas include a new version of Safari that renders pages faster on rMBPs? (i.e. the "Webkit" version)

Admit it, you were too embarrassed to ask "Is Safari snappier?". :D

Mr. Retrofire
Feb 14, 2013, 05:18 PM
Your sentence doesn't communicate anything substantial.
Ditto.

Ahheck01
Feb 14, 2013, 05:20 PM
They're adding support for the 1:1 aspect displays shown in the graphic.

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/02/12d68.jpg

I clicked on this thread just so I could +1 this post. Thank you for the chuckle.

noiseordinance
Feb 14, 2013, 05:20 PM
I know this is probably forbidden to say, but this type of update schedule is one thing that makes me miss the update format of Windows / Linux distros... It's been months since my OS was updated. With other OSes, you can at least hope for speedier incremental bug fixes. Right now there could be one single issue that is putting an entire plethora of bugfixes on hold. Is there some sort of benefit to this process that I don't quite understand?

Peace
Feb 14, 2013, 05:24 PM

Ditto.

Please enlighten me on what makes sense in this post ?

All I said was Apple would release 10.9 when Apple wants to.

That's pretty simple and a very understandable statement.

Yamcha
Feb 14, 2013, 05:34 PM
Try this http://www.pcworld.com/article/2026807/booting-linux-via-uefi-can-brick-some-samsung-laptops.html.

If you read the article the issue was not caused by installing Linux, It was caused by booting Linux via UEFI from the BIOS which caused this problem, the brick was not caused after the installation. It looks like a BIOS chip related bug.

But honestly I don't see how Macs can suffer from this issue, you are after all installing a version of OSX that is designed for your hardware & Mac, despite the fact that it may be beta software.

Not trying to be smart ass, just that I build PC's, overclock them, modify GPU BIOS and all that jazz, and I have never ever heard of an instance where a PC was bricked by installing a Beta version of an Operating System. I've even installed Mac OS, Ubuntu, Gnome on PC's and never had an issue.

Verloc
Feb 14, 2013, 05:39 PM

It's simple alright.

Futurix
Feb 14, 2013, 05:40 PM
I'm so tired of waiting for this... :mad:
I can't fully migrate to my new Mac without proper Windows 8 support, and looks like by the time 10.8.3 will be released I will be on my next Mac already :D

Peace
Feb 14, 2013, 05:41 PM
It's simple alright.

Dude if you're looking for a specific date for Apple to release 10.9 to developers have a seat and grab some popcorn because nobody knows except Apple.

maccuser
Feb 14, 2013, 06:06 PM
Does the graphic enhancements of 10.8.3 improve chrome experience?

Maybe its just me but scrolling in chrome is much slower than safari on RMBP..

I hope RBMP becomes snappier in terms of graphics, thats my only compliant with my 13 RMBP

DJJAZZYJET
Feb 14, 2013, 06:13 PM

I hope RBMP becomes snappier in terms of graphics, thats my only compliant with my 13 RMBP

Safari will be snap... - better.

maccuser
Feb 14, 2013, 06:27 PM

i was specifically asking for chrome?

gmanist1000
Feb 14, 2013, 06:28 PM
I can't wait to see the stories about how many security and bugs there are in 10.8.3 after the stable version goes live. :D

Peace
Feb 14, 2013, 06:30 PM
i was specifically asking for chrome?

You might want to ask google about that.

tigres
Feb 14, 2013, 06:37 PM
They should just release SL again. Call it new and improved with iCloud support and AirPlay. Done deal

RoelJuun
Feb 14, 2013, 06:54 PM
They should just release SL again. Call it new and improved with iCloud support and AirPlay. Done deal

And even less OpenGL support? No plase, OS X is already behind...

maccuser
Feb 14, 2013, 07:04 PM
has anyone seen improvements with using chrome on 10.8.3?

I wanna if there is any hope or I should give it up completely on RMBP

mattburley7
Feb 14, 2013, 07:27 PM
Beta 12 next thursday :rolleyes: :confused:

noiseordinance
Feb 14, 2013, 07:52 PM
has anyone seen improvements with using chrome on 10.8.3?

I wanna if there is any hope or I should give it up completely on RMBP

Isn't this the responsibility of Google to take care of? Last I checked, Apple doesn't optimize Chrome's code for Retina performance. Now, if Apple doesn't fix the CSS rendering hell on Safari for Retina after over a half a year since release, I'll be one grumpy customer.

Rampage Dev
Feb 14, 2013, 07:59 PM
You can screw the nvram. And it won't turn on until you get the nvram externally erased.

And that is what we call a bricked motherboard.

shurcooL
Feb 14, 2013, 08:29 PM
I know this is probably forbidden to say, but this type of update schedule is one thing that makes me miss the update format of Windows / Linux distros... It's been months since my OS was updated. With other OSes, you can at least hope for speedier incremental bug fixes. Right now there could be one single issue that is putting an entire plethora of bugfixes on hold. Is there some sort of benefit to this process that I don't quite understand?
Yes, there is a huge benefit to it actually. You should know that for some people this is a key selling point for Apple computers.

Imagine people who are not computer enthusiasts, and are very busy with their work. They don't care about the latest rumors and whatever. They just want a computer that works and *DOES NOT* bug them every day about some new updates.

If you really want faster updates, you can switch to Windows or Linux, or pay the developer fee and get early access to OS X betas. Majority of people don't want faster updates, which is why Apple doesn't do it faster for general public.

daneoni
Feb 14, 2013, 08:34 PM
Why are people complaining about the number of betas, Do you actually want them to release half-baked software?! :confused:

Mr. Retrofire
And that is what we call a bricked motherboard.
No. A logic board in a MBP with a defective NVIDIA GPU is a bricked motherboard. NVRAM is just a software problem. Or do you mean a defective NVRAM chip!?

Kashchei
You mean she is back? ;)

Image (http://asset0.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/ne/pre/Newsmakers/Hancock/hancock_a.gif)

No, she's not back. I'm just getting the same "Waiting for Godot" feeling I had with Copland

Mr. Retrofire
Feb 14, 2013, 08:35 PM
Why are people complaining about the number of betas, Do you actually want them to release half-baked software?! :confused:
Yes!

;-)

epelba01
Feb 14, 2013, 08:38 PM
I hope to see that my screen sharing, file sharing, wifi sync will work when the computer is asleep. I have had this issue for a long time. I have my time capsule set up in bridge mode because of Verizon Fios limitations and have not been able to have wake on LAN. I saw somewhere that it is fixed in 10.8.3 Would live to see some thumbs up from people that are beta testing.

ghosthaunt11
Feb 14, 2013, 08:48 PM
Beta 12 next thursday :rolleyes: :confused:

I hope there won't be a 12th beta. I hope the update is released to the public by next Thursday. But, then again, one great thing about releasing more builds is that it means more testing, which most likely means that more bugs are fixed and the OS is more stable! Of course, Mountain Lion has not been a big problem for me, since my Mac is still fast enough and completely usable. But, it is buggy, so I would like the OS to be a lot more stable and, of course, I would like the "file" bug to be fixed. I have never needed to type that, however.

There is also one other bug that I discovered. When I changed my username, OS X did not register it when resuming from sleep mode. It would not allow me to log back into my desktop even though I entered the correct password. I had to restart my Mac in order to log back in. I reported that bug to Apple and I would like to see if it is among the bugs that are fixed in 10.8.3.

I am currently using 10.8.2, the latest update that's currently available to consumers.

noiseordinance
Feb 14, 2013, 08:52 PM
They just want a computer that works and *DOES NOT* bug them every day about some new updates.

If you really want faster updates, you can switch to Windows or Linux.
So what if the customer received a product that *DOES NOT* work correctly? Are you saying that Apple is so concerned with being unobtrusive that it withholds crucial updates for several months on end as a "convenience" to their customers? That makes perfect sense.

FWIW, updates on Linux and Windows are very easily configured. If you are the type of person that simply cannot bring yourself to do 2-3 mouse clicks to modify the automatic update settings on either OS, then maybe your logic is correct. But you should also remember that people like myself who have paid over $2000 for the elite computing experience also have expectations. My expectation is that my problems will be fixed, and they will be fixed fast. Not several months after the issues arise.

maccuser
Feb 14, 2013, 09:05 PM
Isn't this the responsibility of Google to take care of? Last I checked, Apple doesn't optimize Chrome's code for Retina performance. Now, if Apple doesn't fix the CSS rendering hell on Safari for Retina after over a half a year since release, I'll be one grumpy customer.

well given that scrolling with chrome was fine pre Retina, im thinking that the whole machines graphic is slow across.. dont you think that the whole system is a bit sluggish with the retina?

noiseordinance
Feb 14, 2013, 09:16 PM
well given that scrolling with chrome was fine pre Retina, im thinking that the whole machines graphic is slow across.. dont you think that the whole system is a bit sluggish with the retina?

I'm quite happy with retina-optimized programs, but unfortunately most of said programs are Apple's own. For instance, open a PDF in preview. Then open it in adobe reader. The difference is night and day. Photoshop cs6 on the other hand is a much better experience. I think we just gotta wait through the growing pains of other companies adopting retina and improving the experience.

matamoris
Feb 14, 2013, 09:57 PM
There's probably like one guy who is maintaining 10.8 right now. Everyone else is on 10.9 and iOS.

Rampage Dev
Feb 14, 2013, 10:13 PM
No. A logic board in a MBP with a defective NVIDIA GPU is a bricked motherboard. NVRAM is just a software problem. Or do you mean a defective NVRAM chip!?

With a defective NVRAM chip.

shurcooL
So what if the customer received a product that *DOES NOT* work correctly? Are you saying that Apple is so concerned with being unobtrusive that it withholds crucial updates for several months on end as a "convenience" to their customers? That makes perfect sense.
They do release small updates rapidly when there is a severe issue affecting lots of people. I don't think there are any major issues in 10.8.2 that require hotpatching.

Look, I agree with you that it'd be nice if Apple could release updates faster and make more improvements to their software. If they could do it 10 times faster, that'd be incredibly awesome. But software development takes time... it is what it is.

Edit: Don't forget they have a separate update system for blocking various compromised plug-ins, like Java and Flash. This happens automatically and usually they do it within a day.

vea1083
Shutdown time is much faster than previous beta here.

Has the lower shutdown time being more consistent on this beta?

As for me, I just want Apple to not rush this update and takes its time to make it a good one. I think that what Apple needs is to safe guard OS X's quality, which has suffered a lot since iOS took the center stage after the release of the iPad. To me I always see OS X as the insurance policy for Apple if iOS becomes a sinking ship.

SeattleMoose
Feb 14, 2013, 11:40 PM
I am guessing that everyone on this board is guessing.....:rolleyes:

koban4max
Feb 15, 2013, 01:04 AM
Apple new beta version: I think the company itself is beta...LOL. :D

freedevil
Feb 15, 2013, 01:06 AM
If 10.9 is a few months away. Shouldn't we be close to 10.8.5 by now?

koban4max
Feb 15, 2013, 01:06 AM

old joke. anyway...safari won't SNAP.....or probably SNAP.

vmachiel
Feb 15, 2013, 02:58 AM
Fix the crashes when switching graphics already! :)

ikir
Feb 15, 2013, 04:01 AM

Because you don't use windows anymore. Believe me 10.8.2 is quite perfect compared to Win release.

Feb 15, 2013, 04:03 AM
I can't wait to see the stories about how many security and bugs there are in 10.8.3 after the stable version goes live. :D

But that was exactly my point. The bigger the release, the higher the risk. They will fix a lot, and also create a whole bunch of bugs in the process...

But one thing is sure: 10.8.2 is by far the WORST ever 10.x.x release from Apple.

PBP
Feb 15, 2013, 04:27 AM
Has the lower shutdown time being more consistent on this beta?

As for me, I just want Apple to not rush this update and takes its time to make it a good one. I think that what Apple needs is to safe guard OS X's quality, which has suffered a lot since iOS took the center stage after the release of the iPad. To me I always see OS X as the insurance policy for Apple if iOS becomes a sinking ship.

Hmm second time shutdown was slow as hell again :(. I guess they didn't fix it..

Mike MA
Feb 15, 2013, 04:48 AM
Hmm second time shutdown was slow as hell again :(. I guess they didn't fix it..

They already had the chance with 10.8.2 + 11 builds of 10.8.3.

I guess they don't want to fix it!

sea800
Feb 15, 2013, 04:56 AM
I am seeing very frequent crashes on HDMI, Displayport and VGA hot-and coldplugging external displays on a Retina MBP 2012 (probably in the first production weeks) in 10.8.2 . It is perfectly reproducible and depending on monitor connection types and frequency of plugging events can crash the computer several times a day for me. HDMI is by a margin the most crash-prone external display connection for it. Also HDMI sound on it seems either not supported or unfinished.

I have got a bug open at Apple on the external display issue and am highly awaiting 10.8.3 for quite some time now. If this is indeed a software issue then shipping the computer with badly broken or at least not very stable external display support and then not fixing it for about 8 months would be quite a quality issue.

- sea

JGRE
Feb 15, 2013, 05:19 AM

It will probably include OSX 10.9 if they keep goining on like this......:D

till213
Feb 15, 2013, 06:16 AM

You are asking the wrong question: "What the hell did they F\/CK UP SO MUCH (from Lion onwards) that it now takes them (at least) 11 beta iterations to fix?"

One word: WLAN.

(There are probably other areas, too).

iBug2
Feb 15, 2013, 06:37 AM
They already had the chance with 10.8.2 + 11 builds of 10.8.3.

I guess they don't want to fix it!

Or possibly that it's so low on the priority list that nobody is working on that one. Remember that at any time there are thousands of bugs reported for any build of OS X. These bugs get into a priority list depending on the severity. If a bug crashes hard drives and results in data loss, it's priority number 1 etc. Stuff like "the computer isn't shutting down fast enough" is extremely unimportant compared to other more serious issues.

The Bulge
Feb 15, 2013, 07:14 AM
Or possibly that it's so low on the priority list that nobody is working on that one. Remember that at any time there are thousands of bugs reported for any build of OS X. These bugs get into a priority list depending on the severity. If a bug crashes hard drives and results in data loss, it's priority number 1 etc. Stuff like "the computer isn't shutting down fast enough" is extremely unimportant compared to other more serious issues.

Always an explanation.

unplugme71
Feb 15, 2013, 07:18 AM
Nothing was worse than Lion. Not until the last update that fixed most of the bugs. I don't think I had Lion installed for more than a few days before going back to Snow Leopard. With Mountain Lion, at least its usable and doesn't crash on my MBP 15" mid-2010

I'm thinking 10.8.3 can be the last or second to last update for ML. So they are making sure all the bugs are worked out. Presumably because 10.9 has some cool stuff that will make most people to upgrade.

iBug2
Feb 15, 2013, 07:33 AM
Always an explanation.

Of course. Do you think you are the only one reporting bugs to Apple? I have reported probably 20 minor bugs after Mountain Lion. Only one was fixed so far. None of them are crucial things though. Mostly UI glitches.

The Bulge
Feb 15, 2013, 07:45 AM
Of course. Do you think you are the only one reporting bugs to Apple? I have reported probably 20 minor bugs after Mountain Lion. Only one was fixed so far. None of them are crucial things though. Mostly UI glitches.

At this point i'm not thinking anything.

walfrieda
Feb 15, 2013, 07:55 AM
EDIT Most of the issues I've seen people complain about, above, have been addressed - That being said, you'd all be complaining if they missed something in a hurry to rush this out :p

can you comment on the sandboxing errors in Console, and the spotlight indexing bug introduced with 10.8.2? And, does the battery life come back to levels of 10.6.8?

Are those major points fixed in the latest beta?

Mike MA
Feb 15, 2013, 08:06 AM

Sure this is not a big issue, but pure sloppines!

And for some reason people do seem to bother. Look at the two threads dealing with this issue on Macrumors alone - they nearly received 70.000 views.

And why, because this is one of the core values of a Mac that was lost -> faster shutdown times than a PC :D

Krazy Bill
Feb 15, 2013, 08:45 AM
Hmm second time shutdown was slow as hell again :(. I guess they didn't fix it..Well, what do your console logs show?

Look for multiple lines like this:

2/15/13 8:39:03.680 AM mdworker[3387]: Unable to talk to lsboxd

iBug2
Feb 15, 2013, 09:03 AM
Sure this is not a big issue, but pure sloppines!

And for some reason people do seem to bother. Look at the two threads dealing with this issue on Macrumors alone - they nearly received 70.000 views.

And why, because this is one of the core values of a Mac that was lost -> faster shutdown times than a PC :D

There aren't threads for every bug in OS X. Most bugs don't effect everyone so people are unaware of them. People only care about the bugs that effect them.

milo
Feb 15, 2013, 09:23 AM
I wonder if one of the things holding it up is trying to completely fix the major lag issues with Logic (and with some other audio apps, it sounds like).

chuckd83
Feb 15, 2013, 09:30 AM

Very simple. You basically said that a "will" "chooses." Although correct and at the most fundamental understanding of metaphysics, it doesn't communicate anything substantial.

blackburn
Feb 15, 2013, 09:45 AM
If you read the article the issue was not caused by installing Linux, It was caused by booting Linux via UEFI from the BIOS which caused this problem, the brick was not caused after the installation. It looks like a BIOS chip related bug.

But honestly I don't see how Macs can suffer from this issue, you are after all installing a version of OSX that is designed for your hardware & Mac, despite the fact that it may be beta software.

Not trying to be smart ass, just that I build PC's, overclock them, modify GPU BIOS and all that jazz, and I have never ever heard of an instance where a PC was bricked by installing a Beta version of an Operating System. I've even installed Mac OS, Ubuntu, Gnome on PC's and never had an issue.

The point is that it is possible to render the pc useless by using beta/crappy software.

And yes I've also modded many bios and nuked a few boards with it (nothing beats an external eeprom/flash programer:D), but I also succeeded in removing unwanted stuff from the bios like the computrace thingy on my windows laptop.

Btw Gnome ain't an operating system, it's a window manager. (Nitpick I know)

On the other hand I'm waiting for the 10.8.3 update to drop by to update my 2 macs. Let's hope they fix the inactive memory filling up all my ram and even making my mac page memory, it's getting tiresome having to run 'purge' every now and then.

Macrolido
Feb 15, 2013, 10:52 AM
Hopefully they will remove Game Center, is totally useless.

milo
Feb 15, 2013, 11:42 AM

First, if people are using it, it will stay in - they don't care if one guy doesn't like it.

And second, if they were to decide to pull it, that would be in 10.9. That's not the kind of thing they do in a x.x.x release.

star-affinity
Feb 15, 2013, 12:10 PM
But one thing is sure: 10.8.2 is by far the WORST ever 10.x.x release from Apple.

I don't understand how you can say that. 10.2 with its "sudden logout" problem that wasn't fixed until 10.3 and 10.4 with it's Kernel Panic when browsing crowded folders over AFP, not to mention the "graphics stall" that could happen in the early 10.5 version (on MacBook Pro with Nvidia graphics).

No, 10.8.2 is running well overall for me, but I can imagine the experience is a bit different depending on the Mac you have.

imacken
Feb 15, 2013, 02:00 PM
Not to a lot of people - myself and my mates included - it isn't!

epelba01
Feb 15, 2013, 08:23 PM
Any word if 10.8.3 fixes Wake on LAN or Wake on Wireless? I have my time capsule set up in bridge mode behind Verizon FIOS and have been having issues with file sharing, screen sharing, etc. Apple tech support has always said that it is because of bridge mode, but after reading numerous posts it seems that it is a Mac OS issue. Anyone testing 10.8.3 would appreciate your input.

ghosthaunt11
Feb 16, 2013, 01:47 AM
I know that Apple has rules about developers discussing their situation with the public and that there may be some surprises in 10.8.3 that Apple does not want us to know about yet, but why can't they just tell us when they expect to release 10.8.3? I am trying my best to be patient, but I think that eleven betas are ENOUGH! We have not been able to update since early October, which was more than FOUR MONTHS AGO! I am going to be very, very cranky if they don't release it by the end of this month. They better have a GOOD reason for the long wait, such as bug fixing.

I have seen lots of other complaints about Apple taking a long time to release the update, so I am not the only one to complain about it and Apple has probably heard them by now. They would not want a bunch of angry customers, so, who knows? Maybe they will FINALLY tell us WHEN they expect to release it. I'm not saying that Apple is a bad company, I just think that they are taking TOO LONG to release this. I still like Macs a lot better than PCs!

81Steven
Feb 16, 2013, 02:06 AM
waiting for 10.8.3 only for bootcamp support to 3tb fusion drive and windows 8 :D:apple:

sshhoott
Feb 16, 2013, 03:11 AM

Sometimes it seems that Apple designed Mountain Lion just to increase their iPad and iPhone sales.

imacken
Feb 16, 2013, 04:26 AM
Sometimes it seems that Apple designed Mountain Lion just to increase their iPad and iPhone sales.
If you don't own an iPad or iPhone, then don't use all the common features. If you do own an iOS device, the integration of iOS and OS X features is a huge boon!

The Bulge
Feb 16, 2013, 06:01 AM

Usually it feels like you have no idea what you're talking about.

chrfr
Feb 16, 2013, 08:22 AM
...why can't they just tell us when they expect to release 10.8.3?

This gets asked in every 10.x.x beta thread. Apple doesn't know. When the bugs Apple is targeting get fixed, 10.8.3 will be released.

Mr. Wonderful
Feb 16, 2013, 09:59 AM
How big is the update file at this point?

luminouslight
Feb 16, 2013, 10:13 AM
waiting for 10.8.3 only for bootcamp support to 3tb fusion drive and windows 8 :D:apple:

Same here.

throAU
Feb 16, 2013, 10:15 AM
Ridiculous. Haven't they been listing no known issues for the last few builds? Maybe there is something that will reveal info on Mac Pro's or something that they are just trying to keep under wraps.

This is a good point - perhaps 10.8.3 will be "released" with new hardware, and they are waiting on production of said hardware and/or final versions of hardware drivers to be available from the manufacturer.

sshhoott
Feb 16, 2013, 12:13 PM
Usually it feels like you have no idea what you're talking about.

I actually know what I'm talking about because I know that OS X 10.8.3 will be released this Wednesday at 1:30pm PST to the public. :p

chrfr
Feb 16, 2013, 01:05 PM
I actually know what I'm talking about because I know that OS X 10.8.3 will be released this Wednesday at 1:30pm PST to the public. :p
For how many weeks have you been predicting that each update will be released at that time? At least two that I can find quickly.

Aidan5806
Feb 16, 2013, 01:23 PM

My guess is probably the same week that 10.8.3 is released to the public.

ghosthaunt11
Feb 16, 2013, 01:54 PM

How do you know that 10.8.3 will be released on Wednesday at 1:30 p.m. Pacific Time? I think that you're just guessing.

sshhoott
Feb 16, 2013, 02:06 PM
How do you know that 10.8.3 will be released on Wednesday at 1:30 p.m. Pacific Time? I think that you're just guessing.

You guys take things too seriously, like The Bulge over here trying to troll against my troll. :D

Anyways, yes it's a guess and I've written this 2 times before over the last two weeks in these forums.

However, this isn't just a random guess. It's based on fact and history of OS X releases. Most of the OS X releases and updates have been pushed out at around that time on Wednesdays (In fact, during my previous 2 guesses, the betas of OS X 10.8.3 was released around those times). So the actual reality is that we are either going to see another beta release or an actual release to the public of OS X 10.8.3 on Wednesday (+/-1 day margin).

Now look, I can claim to be one of those analysts, but I'm not.

ghosthaunt11
Feb 16, 2013, 03:13 PM
You guys take things too seriously, like The Bulge over here trying to troll against my troll. :D

Anyways, yes it's a guess and I've written this 2 times before over the last two weeks in these forums.

However, this isn't just a random guess. It's based on fact and history of OS X releases. Most of the OS X releases and updates have been pushed out at around that time on Wednesdays (In fact, during my previous 2 guesses, the betas of OS X 10.8.3 was released around those times). So the actual reality is that we are either going to see another beta release or an actual release to the public of OS X 10.8.3 on Wednesday (+/-1 day margin).

Now look, I can claim to be one of those analysts, but I'm not.

Don't worry, I'm not trying to troll against your troll. I'm not mad at you for anything. I just think that Apple is taking too long to release this. Anyway, I hope that Apple will release the update to the public next Wednesday and NOT another beta.

----------

I have the same question. How big would the file be at this point? Also, how long would the update take to install?

w0lf
Feb 16, 2013, 05:12 PM
Ugh the discussion here is so pointless. Doesn't anyone actually have anything relevant to add to the discussion?

I for one haven't been noticing really any differences in the last few iterations of the 10.8.3 beta.

Here's some things I've noticed so far while using the latest build.

- Bootcamp hasn't been updated to support Windows 8 yet.
I'm guessing that will be something that will come with the public release. I for one am really hoping that new boot camp drivers are released that fix some of the issues I've been having like no volume up and down overlays and problems I've been having with setting and adjusting brightness also keyboard backlight problems.

- Safari hasn't changed in the last few builds ( Version 6.0.3 (8536.28.10) )
From the standpoint of someone who doesn't have a retina display I see no reason to be using safari when both chrome and firefox are leaps and bounds better then safari.

- There is still a frequent indexing problem.
I'm getting re-indexing about every time I turn my computer on and then some...

- Shutdown still seems to be slow.
Can take a good 20+ seconds even with a SSD.

- Not really any noticeable changes that I can remember for the average user between 10.8.2 and 10.8.3
If you weren't noticing bugs in 10.8.2 then 10.8.3 will seem like nothing changed.

The combo update is 830,201,394 bytes (830.2 MB on disk)
I think the delta is ~570 MB

Also, how long would the update take to install?

Depends if you are upgrading from 10.8.2 with the delta or a previous OS with the combo. It also depends on your drive read/write speed. I'd say it could range anywhere from 10 minutes to over 1 hour depending on your situation.

For me it takes about 10-15 minutes to update with each iteration. I'm on a 2010 13" macbook pro with a SSD.

Game center hasn't been removed, in fact I believe it's slowly being tweaked and refined. The fact that it's relatively small (5mb) means that it's not really bloating the system for people who don't use it while still providing the beginnings of a potential mega-giant social game network for those who do use it.

If you can't handle seeing Game Center clogging up your Applications files simply open terminal and type what's displayed below and you'll never see it again:

sudo mv /Applications/Game\ Center.app /Applications/.Game\ Center.app

The point is that it is possible to render the pc useless by using beta/crappy software.

On the other hand I'm waiting for the 10.8.3 update to drop by to update my 2 macs. Let's hope they fix the inactive memory filling up all my ram and even making my mac page memory, it's getting tiresome having to run 'purge' every now and then.

Yeah, a OSX beta that's being seeded to developers probably isn't going to nuke your computer, especially considering that the software is taylor made for your hardware (unless you're using a hackintosh).

Why bother waiting for 10.8.3 to drop? You're one google search away from running the beta build which is, at this point, probably very very close to what the public build is going to be like.

There is no graphics enhancements in 10.8.3 at least from what I understand. The mention of graphics drivers in the release notes is not about performance improvements but rather this:
As noted by netkas.org and in our forums, the initial beta release of OS X 10.8.3 seeded to developers yesterday contains drivers supporting AMD's latest 7000-series graphics cards, including the high-end "Tahiti" options. The development has naturally sparked speculation that Apple is starting to build in support for graphics cards to be used in the all-new Mac Pro coming in 2013.

Also Chrome is Googles responsibility not Apples. Chrome will remain slow on retina machines until Googles updates it specifically for retina machines. Apple has not control over this process.

Since I don't own a rMBP I can not confirm that there are no improvements from .2 - .3 but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. Performance is likely to stay very much the same, this is a release that I believe is mainly focused on small bug fixes and tweaks to existing apps.

samofhim
Feb 16, 2013, 05:30 PM
Ugh the discussion here is so pointless. Doesn't anyone actually have anything relevant to add to the discussion?

I for one haven't been noticing really any differences in the last few iterations of the 10.8.3 beta.

- Bootcamp hasn't been updated to support Windows 8 yet.
I'm guessing that will be something that will come with the public release. I for one am really hoping that new boot camp drivers are released that fix some of the issues I've been having like no volume up and down overlays and problems I've been having with setting and adjusting brightness also keyboard backlight problems.

- Safari hasn't changed in the last few builds ( Version 6.0.3 (8536.28.10) )
From the standpoint of someone who doesn't have a retina display I see no reason to be using safari when both chrome and firefox are leaps and bounds better then safari.

- There is still a frequent indexing problem.
I'm getting re-indexing about every time I turn my computer on and then some...

- Shutdown still seems to be slow.
Can take a good 20+ seconds even with a SSD.

- Not really any noticeable changes that I can remember for the average user between 10.8.2 and 10.8.3
If you weren't noticing bugs in 10.8.2 then 10.8.3 will seem like nothing changed.

The combo update is 830,201,394 bytes (830.2 MB on disk)
I think the delta is ~570 MB

Depends if you are upgrading from 10.8.2 with the delta or a previous OS with the combo. It also depends on your drive read/write speed. I'd say it could range anywhere from 10 minutes to over 1 hour depending on your situation.

For me it takes about 10-15 minutes to update with each iteration. I'm on a 2010 13" macbook pro with a SSD.

Game center hasn't been removed, in fact I believe it's slowly being tweaked and refined. The fact that it's relatively small (5mb) means that it's not really bloating the system for people who don't use it while still providing the beginnings of a potential mega-giant social game network for those who do use it.

If you can't handle seeing Game Center clogging up your Applications files simply open terminal and type what's displayed below and you'll never see it again:

Yeah, a OSX beta that's being seeded to developers probably isn't going to nuke your computer, especially considering that the software is taylor made for your hardware (unless you're using a hackintosh).

Why bother waiting for 10.8.3 to drop? You're one google search away from running the beta build which is, at this point, probably very very close to what the public build is going to be like.

There is no graphics enhancements in 10.8.3 at least from what I understand. The mention of graphics drivers in the release notes is not about performance improvements but rather this:

Also Chrome is Googles responsibility not Apples. Chrome will remain slow on retina machines until Googles updates it specifically for retina machines. Apple has not control over this process.

Since I don't own a rMBP I can not confirm that there are no improvements from .2 - .3 but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. Performance is likely to stay very much the same, this is a release that I believe is mainly focused on small bug fixes and tweaks to existing apps.

Thank you w0lf for getting the conversation back on topic.

I'm not a dev so no idea how the codes for the different versions for the builds work but is there any indication for when we might see a GM?

Do you think it will happen around the same time as the next Apple press event?

ArmCortexA8
Feb 16, 2013, 05:38 PM
Previous version release notes:-

Release Notes for 10.8.3 Developer Build: 12D65

The 10.8.3 update is recommended for all OS X Mountain Lion users and includes features and fixes that improve the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, including the following:

The ability to redeem iTunes gift cards in the Mac App Store using your Mac's built-in camera
Boot Camp support for installing Windows 8
Boot Camp support for Macs with a 3TB hard drive
A fix for an issue that may cause Logic Pro to become unresponsive when using certain plug-ins
A fix for an issue that may cause audio to stutter on 2011 iMacs
Includes Safari 6.0.3 Version 6.0.3 (8536.28.10) (Build 12D61 of 10.8.3 has Version 6.0.3 (8536.28.9)

ArmCortexA8
Feb 16, 2013, 05:53 PM
Build 12D68 Release Notes:-

UPDATE: Release Notes Build 12D68

The 10.8.3 update is recommended for all OS X Mountain Lion users and includes features and fixes that improve the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, including the following:

* The ability to redeem iTunes gift cards in the Mac App Store using your Mac's built-in camera
* Boot Camp support for installing Windows 8
* Boot Camp support for Macs with a 3TB hard drive
* A fix for an issue that could cause a file URL to quit apps unexpectedly
* A fix for an issue that may cause Logic Pro to become unresponsive when using certain plug-ins
* A fix for an issue that may cause audio to stutter on 2011 iMacs
Includes Safari 6.0.3

w0lf
Feb 16, 2013, 06:23 PM
I'm not a dev so no idea how the codes for the different versions for the builds work but is there any indication for when we might see a GM?

Do you think it will happen around the same time as the next Apple press event?

Nope I have no idea when it will be released. All I can do is speculate that it'll probably come out within the next month or so.

tywebb13
Feb 16, 2013, 07:54 PM
I don't think apple should release it to the public till all the focus areas have been addressed

JordanNZ
Feb 16, 2013, 08:22 PM

There are VERY fresh graphics drivers for both AMD, and NVIDIA cards in 10.8.3. Performance is improved, as well as new OpenGL extensions.

iCaleb
Feb 16, 2013, 08:45 PM
Just for a heads up.........10.8.3 will be available to the public on October 7th of 2015. :p

tywebb13
Feb 16, 2013, 09:17 PM
I've been using 10.8.3 for a while now and I really don't know what all the fuss is about. It's not much different to 10.8.2.

I think the major difference will be with bootcamp not os x.

As has been said here and elsewhere on this forum, 10.8.3 theoretically supports bootcamp with 3TB hard drives and windows 8 but bootcamp itself can't do it yet.

So I'd be more excited about a new bootcamp than a new os x.

I asked some people from apple about this and they said it will come out later in the year.

sshhoott
Feb 16, 2013, 09:46 PM
There is no graphics enhancements in 10.8.3 at least from what I understand.

There are VERY fresh graphics drivers for both AMD, and NVIDIA cards in 10.8.3. Performance is improved, as well as new OpenGL extensions.

Thanks for your input. JordanNZ, so there are also new Nvidia drivers for 320M and 330M? This is the main reason I'm waiting for 10.8.3. Animations on my MBP 13" 2010 get really choppy after about a day of use (with no apps open). Only a restart fixes this problem. Also there are insane amounts of memory leaks (I have 8GB RAM). Memory leaks get so bad that the OS X starts paging out to the Hard drive. I've recently come to believe that this may be happening due to GPU acceleration that the apps use (like Chrome and VMware Fusion) and the memory leak starts happening from the point when the GPU is heavily involved with apps. So hopefully, the supposedly updated drivers fix the problem.

Obviously, I have tried clean installs, Pram and SMC resets, Repair disk permissions, you name it....

Just for a heads up.........10.8.3 will be available to the public on October 7th of 2015. :p

And I thought I was insane :D

You want Chrome to be faster and smoother on your RMBP? Do this.

1) Go to: Chrome:flags
2) Enable GPU composting and Thread composting, then restart Chrome
3) See Chrome become faster than Safari

I have no idea why Google has decided to block this wonderful function. I have been using this on my MBP (Nvidia 320M) for over a year and never looked back to Safari. BTW, I also tried this on RMBP 15" in Apple store and it works great! One more thing: two finger back/forward gestures might not work, so you can enable three finger back/forward gestures (thats what I did) ;)

swissmann
Feb 16, 2013, 11:05 PM
Another shout out to w0lf for a great post. I'd like to see the forum regarding the article on the actual release of 10.8.3 be filled with equally pertinent posts that list successes and bugs in the update. Instead of a bunch of "downloading now" and "taking forever to download" and "mine came in at XGB how may GB was your download" sort of posts.

I'm looking forward to 10.8.3 release if it is stable as I plan on using that to do an erase and install of the OS as I upgrade for the first time from 10.7 to 10.8. I've prepped my files and am in limbo now so I'd like them to hurry up and get it right.

Anyone else think that Apple could stand to hire a significant larger number of programmers?

w0lf
Feb 17, 2013, 02:50 AM

Really? I wasn't aware there were updates for NVIDIA cards or OpenGL. Could you post some of the specifics because I was almost certain that they're still using OpenGL 3.2 . I didn't really feel much improvement between .2 and .3 but then again I'm using a 2010 laptop so I don't exactly expect excellent graphics performance.

I've been using 10.8.3 for a while now and I really don't know what all the fuss is about. It's not much different to 10.8.2.

I think the major difference will be with bootcamp not os x.

As has been said here and elsewhere on this forum, 10.8.3 theoretically supports bootcamp with 3TB hard drives and windows 8 but bootcamp itself can't do it yet.

So I'd be more excited about a new bootcamp than a new os x.

My thoughts exactly. Not much in terms of big changes for the average user aside from Win8 bootcamp support.

Thanks for your input. JordanNZ, so there are also new Nvidia drivers for 320M and 330M? This is the main reason I'm waiting for 10.8.3. Animations on my MBP 13" 2010 get really choppy after about a day of use (with no apps open). Only a restart fixes this problem. Also there are insane amounts of memory leaks (I have 8GB RAM). Memory leaks get so bad that the OS X starts paging out to the Hard drive. I've recently come to believe that this may be happening due to GPU acceleration that the apps use (like Chrome and VMware Fusion) and the memory leak starts happening from the point when the GPU is heavily involved with apps. So hopefully, the supposedly updated drivers fix the problem.

How much stuff are you running at once and how heavily do you use your machine? I've never really experienced these extreme memory leaks that so many people talk about but then again I'm the kind of guy who always shuts my computer off at night and starts it up in the morning and I don't use many heavily memory intensive apps like video software or virtual machines.

You want Chrome to be faster and smoother on your RMBP? Do this.

1) Go to: Chrome:flags
2) Enable GPU composting and Thread composting, then restart Chrome
3) See Chrome become faster than Safari

I have no idea why Google has decided to block this wonderful function. I have been using this on my MBP (Nvidia 320M) for over a year and never looked back to Safari. BTW, I also tried this on RMBP 15" in Apple store and it works great! One more thing: two finger back/forward gestures might not work, so you can enable three finger back/forward gestures (thats what I did) ;)

Don't have a retina display but thanks for the tip, I'll see how that effects my experience, haven't touched Chrome:flags since they removed vertical tabs.

Anyone else think that Apple could stand to hire a significant larger number of programmers?

Yeah I'd agree, I can't really say for sure but I feel like they've branched out into doing so many different products that it's probably thinned out the amount of programmers that are working on each specific product. Because of the huge success of iOS and their mobile devices I'd venture to guess that their Desktop programming team is rather slim compared to other departments.

sshhoott
Feb 17, 2013, 03:02 AM

Apple has $137 Billion cash sitting in their reserves, so money shouldn't be a problem. Its more of a management issue. I mean how many software engineers/programmers can one person efficiently manage, especially if you are expanding the company horizontally?

There have been many posts on this in the past comparing Craig Federighi with Serlet Bertrand (retired March 2011). Due to recent management shuffle by Tim Cook, Craig is now responsible for both Mac and iOS software engineering. Some argue that Craig is sort of like the new guy on board, and lacks the much needed experience that Serlet brought to Apple along with his years of experience at Apple developing previous Mac OSs. Hence, because of the leadership of Craig, Lion and Mountain lion have been one of the most controversial releases in the recent years (esp. Lion).

My speculation on Serlet's departure: They say that he left because he wanted to "focus less on products and more on science." But the reality can be different. What if Serlet didn't agree with the direction OS X was heading? Perhaps he didn't agree to the unification of iOS and OS X that may have been planned years before from now with Steve Jobs still in the office, which maybe coming ahead when ARM processors are equal to their Intel counterparts.

iOSX ... Just speculating.....

CBlakeston
Feb 17, 2013, 05:32 AM
Having just made the jump to a rMPP I'm eager for for 10.8.3 to shake out the remaining performance issues i've seen people mention. Having said that - the only one i've run into has been the turn wifi on/off to get it working on first boot (bluetooth interference?) but that seems to have mysteriously fixed itself :) Still, no one ever turned down better GFX drivers :D

jjhny
Feb 17, 2013, 11:08 AM

Has anyone noticed if the "snooze" function in notifications has been changed to allow picking the time to the next notification pop up?

As it is now Calendar and notifications are useless - being able to set the time to the next one is the only thing that makes that service worthwhile.

vanc
Feb 17, 2013, 04:34 PM
1 - Are wake-from-sleep Ethernet disconnections gone?

I'm using a thunderbolt ethernet adapter. I don't really have such an issue. I have a 1G ethernet router. When the MBP is in sleep, the router's LED status turns yellow, meaning it's not 1G any more. Once MBP wakes up, the LED turns to the normal green which means a full duplex 1G connection.

ObeseSquirrel
Feb 17, 2013, 06:11 PM
Has anyone noticed if the "snooze" function in notifications has been changed to allow picking the time to the next notification pop up?

As it is now Calendar and notifications are useless - being able to set the time to the next one is the only thing that makes that service worthwhile.

Finally! I don't how Apple missed this before. Any other changes to Notification Center? I would like to set my notifications to the bottom-right corner (less obtrusive) like in Growl, but the snooze button fix is a definite plus.

talmao
Feb 17, 2013, 07:52 PM
With this build on my rMBP the shutdown sometimes takes 3 seconds, but there is no consistency. I've tested with multiple applications still running, nothing running, and while streaming video. This is a dramatic improvement over the previous build where it would take up to 45 seconds to shutdown all the time. Still, the shutdown is not fixed as it can take 30 seconds to shutdown with the exact same apps open. Start up also appears to be a bit faster. Some consider the shutdown time as a trivial matter, but it's really amazing how much of a difference something like this can make. At least it feels warm and fuzzy to be able to shut down in 3 seconds.

iBug2
Feb 18, 2013, 02:25 AM
With this build on my rMBP the shutdown sometimes takes 3 seconds, but there is no consistency.

My rMBP can shut down in 3 seconds under 10.8.2 as well. So it was never a question of 30 sec shutdowns every time but only sometimes.

peejack
Feb 18, 2013, 06:14 AM
I am hoping this update will fix performance issues, UI lag, audio stutter and random closing on my rMBP.

Really is quite annoying.

Lets hope they release it soon.

----------

This is VERY good to know :)

MarcusCarpenter
Feb 18, 2013, 07:12 AM
would anyone be so kind as to give me the 10.8.3 latest beta, im having all sorts of issues on three MBP's all clean installation still have massive screen lag .

This is unacceptable as i can not use my machines and have to run windows via bootcamp, im not sure if it's against the rules but i would very much like to get this beta file from someone please.

Thanks
Marcus

iBug2
Feb 18, 2013, 07:16 AM
Really? I wasn't aware there were updates for NVIDIA cards or OpenGL. Could you post some of the specifics because I was almost certain that they're still using OpenGL 3.2 . I didn't really feel much improvement between .2 and .3 but then again I'm using a 2010 laptop so I don't exactly expect excellent graphics performance.

There aren't any "performance improvements" to be felt between OpenGL 3.2 and 3.3 or 4.0 whenever Apple adapts it. The API's are for developers to write better games or games that can use the hardware in various other ways. And OpenGL 3.2 isn't fully supported under Mountain Lion, so Apple probably supported more 3.2 extensions in 10.8.3.

peejack
Feb 18, 2013, 07:23 AM
would anyone be so kind as to give me the 10.8.3 latest beta, im having all sorts of issues on three MBP's all clean installation still have massive screen lag .

Totally agree the screen lag is awful. If they don't fix this in 10.8.3 I will not be happy.

MarcusCarpenter
Feb 18, 2013, 07:31 AM
Totally agree the screen lag is awful. If they don't fix this in 10.8.3 I will not be happy.

its stupid, do you have access to a Apple Dev account ? you can download the Beta dmg and test for yourself ? trying to find someone to give me the file is impossible

peejack
Feb 18, 2013, 07:33 AM
its stupid, do you have access to a Apple Dev account ? you can download the Beta dmg and test for yourself ? trying to find someone to give me the file is impossible

No I don't. I hope the full release comes out soon, would rather wait for that, but like I say I really hope they have addressed it.

The screen lag, graphic problems in Safari and audio glitching system wide, feel like im contantly maxing out my CPU. :(

MarcusCarpenter
Feb 18, 2013, 07:36 AM
No I don't. I hope the full release comes out soon, would rather wait for that, but like I say I really hope they have addressed it.

The screen lag, graphic problems in Safari and audio glitching system wide, feel like im contantly maxing out my CPU. :(

yeah i feel the same, cant wait for these new graphics driver, its not a new system issue either because this happens with 2012/2011 normal MacBook Pro's too. to perform everyday tasks im forced to use windows over bootcamp which defeats the object of a mac. I Moved from windows for a reason now im thinking... actually.. shall i go back and sack these machines ?

peejack
Feb 18, 2013, 07:37 AM
yeah i feel the same, cant wait for these new graphics driver, its not a new system issue either because this happens with 2012/2011 normal MacBook Pro's too. to perform everyday tasks im forced to use windows over bootcamp which defeats the object of a mac. I Moved from windows for a reason now im thinking... actually.. shall i go back and sack these machines ?

Its a shame, I have used all sorts of macs for years and never had such a horrible list of bug thats REALLY affect your everyday use.

Just stick with it. The amount of testing they are doing on this release goes to show that must be trying to 'get it right' with this release.

cmChimera
Feb 18, 2013, 08:53 AM
The wallpaper resetting bug is still in the latest seed.

peejack
Feb 18, 2013, 08:54 AM
The wallpaper resetting bug is still in the latest seed.

What about the above issues? Have you seen these resolved?

cmChimera
Feb 18, 2013, 09:36 AM
What about the above issues? Have you seen these resolved?

Can you be more specific? I haven't read the whole thread.

peejack
Feb 18, 2013, 09:37 AM

I am experiencing horrible graphic glitches and lag in Safari. Overall system UI lag and system wide audio glitching, whether it be itune, finder, or audio program.

zz2k9
Feb 18, 2013, 10:41 AM
I am experiencing horrible graphic glitches and lag in Safari. Overall system UI lag and system wide audio glitching, whether it be itune, finder, or audio program.
And I thought I was going mad that it might just be me. I am having this same problem on a 2.8 mbp 15 2009 with an ssd. I went back to snow leopard then to lion, and guess what no audio stutter. I could deal with the rest of the issues, just not audio stutter.
And why is apple making this update to fix audio stutter on 2011 macs only? no love for 2009?

cmChimera
Feb 18, 2013, 10:46 AM

I never experienced audio glitches in 10.8 so I can't speak to them. System UI lag, which was pretty minimal in 10.8.2 for me is improved. I didn't have lag in Safari but I did have graphical glitches. I haven't seen them so far in 10.8.3. Clicking on a picture in Facebook though causes the website to freak out, but I don't think that that's my computer's fault. I think it's something to do with my resolution and Facebook.

SirYossi
Feb 18, 2013, 10:56 AM
Because there is a major major bug in wifi on mac boom pro retinas which make it useless

There is also a major wifi bug with all mid 2007 to 2008 macbook pros - there is a wifi drop when streaming from itunes to appleTV or Airport Express as well as wifi drop when doing a time machine backup. Slows the Wifi to a crawl - almost as slow as the old dial up modems. There are work around taking the WIFI files from OS X.6 and X.7 and faking X.8 to read them as part of X.8. There were no wifi issues till X.8 with the older 07 and 08 MBP. I just had my 2007 MBP rebuild from apple with the Video Card Recall - they put a new LCD, top cover and backlight in it making it practically new again. Hoping to get at least a year or two out of it. At this point till the wifi bug is fixed it is staying at X.7 (runs 100% better in X.7 then it did in X.6)

pounce
Feb 18, 2013, 04:12 PM
They broke core audio aggregate device a release ago. Lots of pro audio folks in studio or live sound are effected by this. It really sucks. It's preventing me from using Logic right now. I really need an update that gets aggregate device working properly again.

koban4max
Feb 18, 2013, 08:13 PM

Did they ever fix the reading list opening/closing part? it lags like crazy when i tried to open and close.

I haven't read all the previous posts, but did they fix the quick start up and shutdown?

JordanNZ
Feb 18, 2013, 08:43 PM
There aren't any "performance improvements" to be felt between OpenGL 3.2 and 3.3 or 4.0 whenever Apple adapts it. The API's are for developers to write better games or games that can use the hardware in various other ways. And OpenGL 3.2 isn't fully supported under Mountain Lion, so Apple probably supported more 3.2 extensions in 10.8.3.

I'll think you'll find 'OpenGL 3.2 Core Profile' has been fully supported since 10.7.0.

https://developer.apple.com/graphicsimaging/opengl/capabilities/

The new extensions are OpenGL 3.3 ones.

cmChimera
Feb 18, 2013, 09:57 PM
Did they ever fix the reading list opening/closing part? it lags like crazy when i tried to open and close.

I haven't read all the previous posts, but did they fix the quick start up and shutdown?

Never had the reading list issue, so it continues to work fine for me.

As for startup/shutdown, I thought it was just a slow shut down? In the latest build I've seen extremely quick and a little slower. Haven't seen one more than 15 seconds. That said, I think it's a bunch of whining over nothing. I never shut down.

koban4max
Feb 18, 2013, 10:16 PM

As for startup/shutdown, I thought it was just a slow shut down? In the latest build I've seen extremely quick and a little slower. Haven't seen one more than 15 seconds. That said, I think it's a bunch of whining over nothing. I never shut down.

cool thx for info. i guess people are used to SL and couldn't really adjust to new os x.

kensic
Feb 19, 2013, 10:23 AM

i wouldn't say people are "whinning"...it's your preference that you do not shut down, good for you!. but other may do it more often.

but when you actually shut down, wouldn't be nice to have it shut down in 2 seconds (like it suppose to) rather than 15 seconds+.

cmChimera
Feb 19, 2013, 10:38 AM
i wouldn't say people are "whinning"...it's your preference that you do not shut down, good for you!. but other may do it more often.

but when you actually shut down, wouldn't be nice to have it shut down in 2 seconds (like it suppose to) rather than 15 seconds+.

I would definitely call it whining. It's simply not necessary to shut down often, so I see little reason to complain as vigorously as people have been.

The Bulge
Feb 19, 2013, 10:52 AM
I would definitely call it whining. It's simply not necessary to shut down often, so I see little reason to complain as vigorously as people have been.

How often one shuts down a Mac is his/her business, but when one shuts down a Mac it should be fast and take seconds not malmost minutes in some cases.

PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

cmChimera
Feb 19, 2013, 11:02 AM
How often one shuts down a Mac is his/her business, but when one shuts down a Mac it should be fast and take seconds not malmost minutes in some cases.

PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

Whatever. It's just a waste of time.

kensic
Feb 19, 2013, 11:32 AM
Whatever. It's just a waste of time.

like i said, how you use your stuff is each to its own. the world is not all about you, you gotta be considerate. just because you don't use that function and it doesn't bother you, then you are very closed minded to straight out calling people names. the name calling is unacceptable no matter how you look at it. there are ways to express your feeling in a neutral way.

Plus, as much as it costs for apple products, and when a function should work flawlessly (even if you don't use that function often), but it isn't. wouldn't you be mad too?

cmChimera
Feb 19, 2013, 11:40 AM
like i said, how you use your stuff is each to its own. the world is not all about you, you gotta be considerate. just because you don't use that function and it doesn't bother you, then you are very closed minded to straight out calling people names. the name calling is unacceptable no matter how you look at it. there are ways to express your feeling in a neutral way.

I didn't call anyone names. I simply said there has been whining. There has been. I find the whining to be about nothing.

Plus, as much as it costs for apple products, and when a function should work flawlessly (even if you don't use that function often), but it isn't. wouldn't you be mad too? I obviously wouldn't be, since I just said I think the complaining has been over nothing.

Look, I'm not really trying to get into a debate on whether or not you should shut down your computer. If you want to shut down, then go ahead. Just be prepared to wait an earth-shatteringly long time of less than a minute.

The Bulge
Feb 19, 2013, 11:52 AM
Just be prepared to wait an earth-shatteringly long time of less than a minute.

Unacceptable. Mediocrity is not what i paid for.

kensic
Feb 19, 2013, 12:30 PM
[QUOTEJust be prepared to wait an earth-shatteringly long time of less than a minute.[/QUOTE]

im glad apple doesn't have this attitude towards their products. finishing in 2nd or 3rd isn't an option for them. im glad apple sees every problem is the biggest problem in the world (no matter how small).

im sorry that you allow yourself to endure stuff like this. but hey, you're probably a heck of a chill guy to hang out with.

cmChimera
Feb 19, 2013, 02:05 PM
im glad apple doesn't have this attitude towards their products. finishing in 2nd or 3rd isn't an option for them. im glad apple sees every problem is the biggest problem in the world (no matter how small).

im sorry that you allow yourself to endure stuff like this. but hey, you're probably a heck of a chill guy to hang out with. It's funny that you say that when in the 11th beta, they still haven't "fixed" this. Also, I'm not "enduring" anything. It's simply not an issue for me.

Feb 19, 2013, 04:00 PM
Seems like Tuesday is no longer a traditional release date for Apple - I was sure 10.8.3 would come out today.

Ironically, iOS 6.1.2 is released after just a couple of days...pathetic.

Milltek
Feb 19, 2013, 04:24 PM
Hi,
Just out of curiosity where can you download the beta releases? I registered as an Apple Developer, can get to the developer site but still do not see where the releases are located.

chrfr
Feb 19, 2013, 05:30 PM
Hi,
Just out of curiosity where can you download the beta releases? I registered as an Apple Developer, can get to the developer site but still do not see where the releases are located.

You need the $99/year program subscription to get prerelease software.

w0lf
Feb 19, 2013, 06:23 PM
Hi,

Google.com

Posting that is warez and gets almost immediately removed. I would know I already got 2 warnings for it. I don't even know if this is legal for me to say but just google the most recent build number followed by tpb.

Also as the person above me mentioned you need to be signed up for the 99$ a year dev program to receive iOS and OSX betas.

Peace
Feb 19, 2013, 06:25 PM
Google.com

Posting that is warez and gets almost immediately removed. I would know I already got 2 warnings for it. I don't even know if this is legal for me to say but just google the most recent build number followed by tpb.

Also as the person above me mentioned you need to be signed up for the 99$ a year dev program to receive iOS and OSX betas.

I hope you get a virus.

w0lf
Feb 19, 2013, 07:30 PM
I hope you get a virus.

Why? For trying to help a guy out?

Peace
Feb 19, 2013, 07:31 PM
Why? For trying to help a guy out?

No. For trying to help a person get a copy of the IOS beta through means other than being a paid dev.

Originally Posted by w0lf
Google.com

w0lf
Feb 19, 2013, 08:07 PM
No. For trying to help a person get a copy of the IOS beta through means other than being a paid dev.

You mean OSX not iOS.

But for real, it's not like Apple needs to be charging you to be a dev, they're only the wealthiest company in the world by capital and 18th by revenue. Running the beta as a non-dev isn't hurting Apple, in fact it can be positive considering they would receive more bug reports, with more people using the beta. Now if it were a beta of an actual release build like 10.9 that would cost money when it's released to the average consumer then I could understand the argument of it being stealing potential revenue or something but as it stands I see no problem with testing what will be a free release early, especially if you happen to be someone who is experiencing problems with everyday activity running 10.8.2 . On top of all of that if Apple really wanted to they could easily prevent non-devs from using dev builds just like they did with iOS, but even then you can still get around paying the $100 for that by sharing device access like a bunch of people already do for iOS.

sshhoott
Feb 19, 2013, 09:29 PM
You mean OSX not iOS.

But for real, it's not like Apple needs to be charging you to be a dev, they're only the wealthiest company in the world by capital and 18th by revenue. Running the beta as a non-dev isn't hurting Apple, in fact it can be positive considering they would receive more bug reports, with more people using the beta. Now if it were a beta of an actual release build like 10.9 that would cost money when it's released to the average consumer then I could understand the argument of it being stealing potential revenue or something but as it stands I see no problem with testing what will be a free release early, especially if you happen to be someone who is experiencing problems with everyday activity running 10.8.2 . On top of all of that if Apple really wanted to they could easily prevent non-devs from using dev builds just like they did with iOS, but even then you can still get around paying the $100 for that by sharing device access like a bunch of people already do for iOS.

That's a deep thought. OS X updates are free so should be the developer builds, simple as that. No one is stealing.

Sheep comment.

Milltek
Feb 19, 2013, 09:30 PM
I was not asking for a non-Apple source for the beta. That's why I went on to say that I had registered and had looked on the Apple site. I presumed that I was just not seeing the correct download link. After what I paid for my Apple gear there's no way I'd use a download from some warez site to install an OS.

Apologies if I caused any mis-understanding.

On another topic, when I got the iMac, I started it and it was 'up' so long that when we eventually had a power failure I couldn't remember where the power switch was. That was in the Snow Leopard days. Just thought I'd mention it as a counterpoint to all the power-down issues folks are having.

Thanks.

sshhoott
Feb 19, 2013, 09:45 PM
I was not asking for a non-Apple source for the beta. That's why I went on to say that I had registered and had looked on the Apple site. I presumed that I was just not seeing the correct download link. After what I paid for my Apple gear there's no way I'd use a download from some warez site to install an OS.

http://developer.apple.com/membercenter/
or
https://connect.apple.com/

On another topic, when I got the iMac, I started it and it was 'up' so long that when we eventually had a power failure I couldn't remember where the power switch was. That was in the Snow Leopard days. Just thought I'd mention it as a counterpoint to all the power-down issues folks are having.

Thanks.

So you can't find you power button on your iMac?

Or are you giving us a better way to shutdown (by pulling the plug)?

w0lf
Feb 19, 2013, 10:45 PM
I was not asking for a non-Apple source for the beta. That's why I went on to say that I had registered and had looked on the Apple site. I presumed that I was just not seeing the correct download link.

https://developer.apple.com/programs/mac/

Milltek
Feb 19, 2013, 11:01 PM
So you can't find you power button on your iMac?

Or are you giving us a better way to shutdown (by pulling the plug)?

No, I found it. And, no, I don't recommend just pulling the plug. Like most people here I can get irritated by some of the shortcomings in OS X or with Apple. The point I was making is that having moved from an almost 100% Windows environment to Apple it's easy to forget the nightmares of dealing with the various releases of Windows. Vista comes to mind! So sometimes I'm willing to cut them some slack.

Thanks

Krazy Bill
Feb 20, 2013, 09:36 AM
The point I was making is that having moved from an almost 100% Windows environment to Apple it's easy to forget the nightmares of dealing with the various releases of Windows. Vista comes to mind! So sometimes I'm willing to cut them some slack.How long are you people going to wave the "Vista" flag? It's getting old.

Eventually it was fixed AND... MS still supports it. :eek: Apple could learn a thing or two on this.

milo
Feb 20, 2013, 12:30 PM
That's a deep thought. OS X updates are free so should be the developer builds, simple as that.

Apple isn't charging for the betas, they're charging for the dev program which includes other stuff as well. The reason they don't release the betas to the general public is because they are betas, and many people would install them without understanding what that means and complain that they had all the issues you'd expect from a beta.

Risco
Feb 20, 2013, 03:13 PM
Rofl, still not gone final...

KevinMHC
Feb 20, 2013, 04:04 PM
This is getting ridiculous ... Retina Macbooks needs this update badly

noiseordinance
Feb 20, 2013, 05:09 PM
If the official release doesn't come out tomorrow, I'll eat my hat. If it DOES come out tomorrow, but does not address the Safari garbage and other obvious bugs on my rMBP, I'll eat my cat.

Peace
Feb 20, 2013, 05:17 PM
If the official release doesn't come out tomorrow, I'll eat my hat. If it DOES come out tomorrow, but does not address the Safari garbage and other obvious bugs on my rMBP, I'll eat my cat.

Really..

vanc
Feb 20, 2013, 06:09 PM
This is a long stretching release.

sshhoott
Feb 21, 2013, 02:04 AM

Could you please stream it live for us?

peejack
Feb 21, 2013, 09:31 AM
This is getting ridiculous ... Retina Macbooks needs this update badly

Totally agree, although the UI lag, and audio glitches are not only effecting rMBP. But the point is...WHERE IS THE UPDATE?? Come on Apple.

wlossw
Feb 21, 2013, 11:07 AM
I want pics of the guy eating his hat and/or cat.

KdParker
Feb 21, 2013, 12:32 PM
I'm so tired of waiting for this... :mad:
I can't fully migrate to my new Mac without proper Windows 8 support, and looks like by the time 10.8.3 will be released I will be on my next Mac already :D

Window 8 support ( not really needed IMHO) doesn't even seem like it is on the radar for Apple.

Peace
Feb 21, 2013, 12:34 PM
Window 8 support ( not really needed IMHO) doesn't even seem like it is on the radar for Apple.

It is. Apple is waiting for Microsoft to make some changes.

Hungry&Foolish
Feb 21, 2013, 01:02 PM
Hold your horses, Release any minute now.

TheCo-accused
Feb 21, 2013, 01:43 PM

any minute? Are you speaking from a position of knowledge?.. or?

ghosthaunt11
Feb 21, 2013, 01:44 PM
Could you please stream it live for us?

I want pics of the guy eating his hat and/or cat.

You guys are being mean. It's not right to make fun of anyone's anger. How would you like it if anyone made fun of YOUR anger? By the way, noiseordinance, I feel the same way you feel about the long wait for the release. I sure hope that Apple releases it to the public today and NOT another beta.

PBP
Feb 21, 2013, 01:48 PM
any minute? Are you speaking from a position of knowledge?.. or?

He's just guessing

milo
Feb 21, 2013, 01:48 PM

Isn't support for it added in 10.8.3? That sounds pretty on the radar to me.

noiseordinance
Feb 21, 2013, 02:00 PM
You guys are being mean. It's not right to make fun of anyone's anger. How would you like it if anyone made fun of YOUR anger? By the way, noiseordinance, I feel the same way you feel about the long wait for the release. I sure hope that Apple releases it to the public today and NOT another beta.

I also hope they release it today... if not for my own sake, for my cat's sake. This is what's at stake:

http://i.imgur.com/0OIiYlD.jpg

DON'T MAKE ME DO IT, APPLE. I'm quite fond of him.

Hungry&Foolish
Feb 21, 2013, 02:14 PM

Bring on now.Beer and popcorn ready. Excited.:D

----------

Give or take a few.:D

sshhoott
Feb 21, 2013, 02:17 PM

I apologize about that. I thought saying that would give it a funny tone but I guess it didn't. And believe me I share the same anger that you guys have. I have never been on these forums so much before. Heck, I haven't even desperately waited for any Apple product as much I've waited for 10.8.3.

Nonetheless, I was going to say something quite similar: I'll run naked on the street if Apple releases OS X 10.8.3 to the public today. :D

Hungry&Foolish
Feb 21, 2013, 02:21 PM
I apologize about that. I thought saying that would give it a funny tone but I guess it didn't. And believe me I share the same anger that you guys have. I have never been on these forums so much before. Heck, I haven't even desperately waited for any Apple product as much I've waited for 10.8.3.

Nonetheless, I was going to say something quite similar: I'll run naked on the street if Apple releases OS X 10.8.3 to the public today. :D

Take your iPhone while running.Don't want to miss the action.And for Heaven's sake post the video soon.

Nomax2000
Feb 21, 2013, 02:36 PM
And an other week....long week.

ghosthaunt11
Feb 21, 2013, 02:43 PM
Bring on now.Beer and popcorn ready. Excited.:D

Hungry&Foolish, just as I told sshhoott and wlossw, it's not nice to make fun of anyone's anger. How would you like it if anyone made fun of YOUR anger? By the way, sshhoott, thanks for your apology!

Also, everyone, I'm sure you're already aware of this, but noiseordinance is not really going to eat his/her cat. He/she is only saying that to express how upset he/she is going to be if Apple does not release the update today. That's what people do.

Peace
Feb 21, 2013, 02:49 PM
Hungry&Foolish, just as I told sshhoott and wlossw, it's not nice to make fun of anyone's anger. How would you like it if anyone made fun of YOUR anger? By the way, sshhoott, thanks for your apology!

Also, everyone, I'm sure you're already aware of this, but noiseordinance is not really going to eat his/her cat. He/she is only saying that to express how upset he/she is going to be if Apple does not release the update today. That's what people do.

Man what a letdown. I was really looking forward to some LOL Cat videos of humans eating cats.

:rolleyes:

I know. I'm not a nice person.

Welcome to MacRumors.

Hungry&Foolish
Feb 21, 2013, 02:49 PM

I was just kidding, If I offended anyone, I apologize.
I am tired also of waiting for the release.
Will flip out if I see 12th beta today.

ghosthaunt11
Feb 21, 2013, 02:51 PM
I was just kidding, If I offended anyone, I apologize.
I am tired also of waiting for the release.
Will flip out if I see 12th beta today.

Thanks for your apology!

wlossw
Feb 21, 2013, 03:00 PM
I also hope they release it today... if not for my own sake, for my cat's sake. This is what's at stake:

Image (http://i.imgur.com/0OIiYlD.jpg)

DON'T MAKE ME DO IT, APPLE. I'm quite fond of him.

I suggest you remove the hair before you eat him. Cat hairballs are problematic.

ghosthaunt11
Feb 21, 2013, 03:12 PM
Let's hope that Apple releases it to the public today. Everyone, keep your fingers crossed...

Mike MA
Feb 21, 2013, 03:37 PM
Let's hope that Apple releases it to the public today. Everyone, keep your fingers crossed...

Doing this since Christmas. Will be another week to come :(

Hungry&Foolish
Feb 21, 2013, 03:39 PM
Looks like a no show for today.

ElManevolente
Feb 21, 2013, 05:33 PM
I have it on good authority that 10.8.3 will not be released until late next week, at the earliest!

:D

ghosthaunt11
Feb 21, 2013, 06:16 PM
I have it on good authority that 10.8.3 will not be released until late next week, at the earliest!

:D

What makes you say that? I DO NOT WANT TO WAIT THAT LONG. Don't worry, I'm not yelling at you for anything and I am trying to be as patient as I can, but I think that we have waited LONG ENOUGH! I hope that Apple will release it TOMORROW at the latest.

sshhoott
Feb 21, 2013, 06:27 PM
That's it. If OS X 10.8.3 is not released next week, I'm making a petition for the resignation of Craig Federighi. :mad:

KdParker
Feb 21, 2013, 08:22 PM
Isn't support for it added in 10.8.3? That sounds pretty on the radar to me.

I don't know.

Senseotech
Feb 21, 2013, 09:39 PM

Poor cat, things aren't looking good for him. That or you could, you know, calm down and wait patiently like an adult.

Futurix
Feb 22, 2013, 01:47 AM

It is already confirmed as included in 10.8.3
And if you don't need it, doesn't mean it is not needed in general!

ctakah
Feb 22, 2013, 03:03 AM
you people are pathetic

Hungry&Foolish
Feb 22, 2013, 03:05 AM
you people are pathetic

Why?

treichert
Feb 22, 2013, 07:02 AM
That's it. If OS X 10.8.3 is not released next week, I'm making a petition for the resignation of Craig Federighi. :mad:

This is so ridiculous....

It is not released, because it is not ready yet and Federighi is actually doing his job.

Don't forget that Windows 8 drivers also need to be ready as 10.8.3 add support for Windows 8 in BootCamp.

cmChimera
Feb 22, 2013, 07:46 AM

Image (http://i.imgur.com/0OIiYlD.jpg)

DON'T MAKE ME DO IT, APPLE. I'm quite fond of him. Apple: "Let them eat cat."

bedifferent
Feb 22, 2013, 08:15 AM
Apple: "Let them eat cat."

Made me chuckle

noiseordinance
Feb 22, 2013, 08:45 AM
http://www.mobileelectronics.com.au/forums/uploads/monthly_11_2010/post-41268-128903159681.jpg

peejack
Feb 22, 2013, 09:11 AM
Am I the only one thinking this is an absolute joke?

Still no sign of a release when iOS is getting updates every week.

Im trying to sit here working on my rMPB with slow laggy blocking graphics listening to some music in the background that I have had to turn off because of it's glitching and stuttering.

You would have never though I paid nearly 2000 for this PREMIUM laptop. Feel like im working on a 200 unpowered laptop.

Really starting to get annoyed by this. :mad:

wlossw
Feb 22, 2013, 09:37 AM
is it 9am in Cupertino yet? :D

cmChimera
Feb 22, 2013, 09:45 AM
Am I the only one thinking this is an absolute joke?

Still no sign of a release when iOS is getting updates every week.

Im trying to sit here working on my rMPB with slow laggy blocking graphics listening to some music in the background that I have had to turn off because of it's glitching and stuttering.

You would have never though I paid nearly 2000 for this PREMIUM laptop. Feel like im working on a 200 unpowered laptop.

Really starting to get annoyed by this. :mad: I haven't had very serious issues under 10.8.2 and I have a rMBP as well. Do you have the 13 or 15 inch variant? I'm not trying to say that you don't have them, just that there may be other causes.

swissmann
Feb 22, 2013, 11:03 AM
I agree that this is overdue. I also agree that it shouldn't be released until ready. So how do you get it ready to release more quickly - you throw more resources at it. I don't think they should pull people off of iOS. I just think they need to hire more programmers. Not only for 10.8.3 but for things like Final Cut Pro X being undercooked when it was released. Also look at some of the features that iOS lacks that needs more attention. (Maps though a worn out example is still a great example). I just think they are understaffed and certainly could afford to beef up their staff by a considerable margin. Please get it right and do it quickly.

cubbie5150
Feb 22, 2013, 04:25 PM
I don't give **** when it's released as long as it actually fixes things. It's a bit ridiculous to me that my rMBP shows various glitches. I keep reading in other forums how Apple is all about the user experience, but then in threads like this people are derided for complaining about things that interfere w/ the user experience; i.e., slow shut-down/boot times; randomly changing desktop wallpaper, etc. Yeah, I get it. In the scheme of things, those issues aren't all that important, in isolation. But taken as a whole, it negatively impacts user experience. /end rant

ghosthaunt11
Feb 22, 2013, 10:58 PM
...fact and history of OS X releases. Most of the OS X releases and updates have been pushed out at around that time on Wednesdays (In fact, during my previous 2 guesses, the betas of OS X 10.8.3 was released around those times). So the actual reality is that we are either going to see another beta release or an actual release to the public of OS X 10.8.3 on Wednesday (+/-1 day margin).

There hasn't been an online article about a 12th beta yet and when I go to Software Update, it still says that there aren't any updates available, nor is there anything online that says that it has been released to the public. Wednesday was two days ago, so could all of this mean that OS X 10.8.3 is FINALLY about to achieve the Golden Master and that it will most likely be released in a couple of days?

sshhoott
Feb 22, 2013, 11:47 PM
There hasn't been an online article about a 12th beta yet and when I go to Software Update, it still says that there aren't any updates available, nor is there anything online that says that it has been released to the public. Wednesday was two days ago, so could all of this mean that OS X 10.8.3 is FINALLY about to achieve the Golden Master and that it will most likely be released in a couple of days?

Yeah, I was darn wrong about my "educated" guess. I am hoping that the update is released soon. Although, I think there might be another beta because someone on this forum said that the current build still has the wallpaper resetting issue. :(

ghosthaunt11
Feb 23, 2013, 01:04 AM
Yeah, I was darn wrong about my "educated" guess. I am hoping that the update is released soon. Although, I think there might be another beta because someone on this forum said that the current build still has the wallpaper resetting issue. :(

If I offended you, sorry about that! I was just hoping that the fact that there's nothing online about another beta means that it's about to achieve the Golden Master.

By the way, I have only had the wallpaper resetting issue when connecting my mid-2009 MacBook Pro to an external display, such as a projector, a monitor, or a television. It would happen either when I connect the computer to the external display or when I disconnect it. But, since a whole bunch of people have complained about the wallpaper resetting all the time, I think that the bug needs to be fixed.

treichert
Feb 23, 2013, 04:02 AM

You have a hardware defect. Make an appointment at the Genius bar.

Xenn0X
Feb 23, 2013, 09:18 AM
hopefully apple does not frack up the 10.8.3 because my retina book has mayor 5ghz disconnect issues on 10.8.2 and also thanking apple for the need of a weekly smc reset. can i get a big red button on usb so when i hit it smc gets a reset?...

bekiil
Feb 23, 2013, 01:13 PM
I read there is a lot of people having issues that actually can be related to hardware failure. I have been working as a techie for many years, and seen hardwarefailure discovered by coinsidence, such as on the old AMD cpu's, where the core was not covered with metal, on one computer a customer complained about not beeing able to see jpg images (i think it was gifs too). The cause?, One tiny tiny bit of a corner on the cpu core was broken. Replacing the cpu fixed it all, but was discovered only after hours of testing and replacing parts. Weird? but true.

designaholic
Feb 23, 2013, 02:04 PM
You have a hardware defect. Make an appointment at the Genius bar.

No he doesn't and neither do I, who also has had this problem since 10.8.0. Apparently those issues have been sorted in 10.8.3 and the audio problem is now finally acknowledged in the list of fixes by Apple.

Here's a 68 page thread on the issue: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4149309?start=990&tstart=0

I've been following that thread for months. I can't listen to tunes for long on my Mid 2011 27" iMac without running into this issue, which also effects graphics performance, causing cursor lag, and (rarely) even kernel panics. Some people on the thread have had their motherboards replaced and guess what, the issue persists. Thankfully, according to testers, 10.8.3 fixes this at last. Tick tock...

Kilamite
Feb 23, 2013, 02:14 PM
I hope this fixes:

- iMessage unread count being correct (often it'll say I've not read something when I have, and I have to re-open the app for it to be correct)
- Background changes sometimes when connecting/disconnecting an external monitor

cmChimera
Feb 23, 2013, 02:20 PM
No he doesn't and neither do I, who also has had this problem since 10.8.0. Apparently the issue has been sorted in 10.8.3 and is also finally acknowledged in the list of fixes by Apple.

Here's a 68 page thread on the issue: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4149309?start=990&tstart=0

I've been following the issue for months. I can't listen to tunes for long on my Mid 2011 27" iMac without running into this issue, which also effects graphics performance, like cursor lag, and even rarely kernel panics. Some people on the thread above have had their motherboards replaced and guess what, the issue persists. Thankfully, according to testers, 10.8.3 fixes this at last. Tick tock...

His issues do seem to be more severe than what others are experiencing.

tigres
Feb 23, 2013, 02:27 PM
I hope this fixes:

- iMessage unread count being correct (often it'll say I've not read something when I have, and I have to re-open the app for it to be correct)
- Background changes sometimes when connecting/disconnecting an external monitor

And the iMessage time/order.
And the Offline issue that seems to happen out of nowhere, which is a pain to fix.

iMessage for OSX for me is a wreck.

Kilamite
Feb 23, 2013, 06:59 PM
And the iMessage time/order.
And the Offline issue that seems to happen out of nowhere, which is a pain to fix.

iMessage for OSX for me is a wreck.

It also interferes with iMessage on iOS too. If you read a message as it arrives on your Mac and it has an attachment, most of the time on the iPhone, the time order of the message will end up out of sync so the attachment appears sometimes a minute later, even though it has the correct time stamp.

cvakistan
Feb 23, 2013, 10:45 PM
One thing that's hilarious about the retina lag, is that it's being blamed on under-powered hardware. Though some of that may be true, I really don't understand why the dock magnification animations lag so much. If you simply move the dock to the left or right, there's no lag whatsoever!! If you use a 3rd party app to make the bottom dock 2d (like the right or left) there is still a lag!!! At least SOME of these issues have to be software. Unfortunately build 12D65 has yet to resolve this issue. Safari scrolling seems better. 5ghz WIFI connection is more stable (though mine had few disconnects).

ghosthaunt11
Feb 23, 2013, 10:58 PM
One thing that's hilarious about the retina lag, is that it's being blamed on under-powered hardware. Though some of that may be true, I really don't understand why the dock magnification animations lag so much. If you simply move the dock to the left or right, there's no lag whatsoever!! If you use a 3rd party app to make the bottom dock 2d (like the right or left) there is still a lag!!! At least SOME of these issues have to be software. Unfortunately build 12D65 has yet to resolve this issue. Safari scrolling seems better. 5ghz WIFI connection is more stable (though mine had few disconnects).

Do you mean it hasn't been resolved in build 12D65 or in build 12D68? Build 12D68 is the latest build and maybe it has resolved the issue.

Marx55
Feb 24, 2013, 02:50 AM
Good news. Mac OS X 10.8.3 (OS X 10.8.3) will be released next week!!!

kensic
Feb 24, 2013, 02:58 AM

i smell trolling

cvakistan
Feb 24, 2013, 08:20 AM
Do you mean it hasn't been resolved in build 12D65 or in build 12D68? Build 12D68 is the latest build and maybe it has resolved the issue.

Yeah, sorry I have only evaluated 12D65 and a few earlier builds. I suppose it's possible they have rectified the issue (in 12D68), but I haven't downloaded it. I guess I thought by this point if they hadn't even addressed it they were likely not too in the final few builds. I would recommend anybody interested in a 3rd party workaround, download "Mountain Tweaks" (http://tweaksapp.com/app/mountain-tweaks/) and switch the dock to "2D". This does not significantly alter the appearance of the dock, yet it vastly improves the fluidity of both magnification and zoom effects (genie/scaling). There are also a few other tweaks for the dock list view that make the experience more fluid.

Hungry&Foolish
Feb 24, 2013, 04:21 PM
Every week a beta was released,but not last week. I am hoping coming tuesday. Even went to church today. :D

GIZBUG
Feb 24, 2013, 06:04 PM

Yawn.............................:rolleyes:

freedevil
Feb 25, 2013, 01:44 AM
Doesn't a GM need to release before it goes public?

chrfr
Feb 25, 2013, 07:34 AM
Doesn't a GM need to release before it goes public?
Usually not with .x.x updates like this one.