Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geddenmark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
Hi

I don't have a usb device big enough for containing the dmg file when I want to clean install Mountain Lion. However I saved the dmg file on my iPhone with DiskAid but was not able to boot from the iPhone as a USB device. I guess it is not possible because you can't see the iPhone in Disk Utility and therefore can't save the dmg correctly.

However I would like to know if anyone has an idea as to how I could use my iPhone as a bootable usb device for clean installing Mountain Lion?

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
You could always drop a small partition at the end of the drive and put the install files there. After your done, just delete the partition and grow Macintosh HD to take up the space.

Geddenmark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
Seems like Quad5Ny's advice is working. Thanks a lot. Then I save the money on the USB stick

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Seems like Quad5Ny's advice is working. Thanks a lot. Then I save the money on the USB stick
Without an external device, how do you backup your stuff? :eek:

While I applaud your frugality, external USB drives are pretty freaking cheap these days.

Geddenmark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
As I mentioned in the first post I wanted to do a clean install. I wanted it to be like a new Mac, so no need for backup.

By the way it worked perfectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.